Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gidget TV series

Sally Fie!d was at her most charismatic and appealing in this 1965 series, which produced an incredible 32 episodes in its only season.

The show originally did poorly in the ratings opposite The Beverly Hillbillies, but teens discovered it during the summer reruns.

ABC decided it was too late to renew, so they developed The Flying Nun for Sally, which lasted three seasons

by Anonymousreply 73February 29, 2020 3:57 AM

Sally was great in this show, along with her sidekick Larue. Great theme song too.

Bonus for me: In one episode, Martin Milner was shirtless...a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2016 1:44 AM

I liked her better as Gidget than any of her later roles

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2016 1:44 AM

BTW how did the nun fly? I always thought it was because of that hat BUT that wouldn't make sense since all the nuns could have flown then. (and was it funny? a comedy? I have to get a dvd!) and check this out.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2016 1:44 AM

DL fave Bonnie Franklin was on at least one episode.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2016 1:50 AM

Bonnie Franklin and Barbara Hershey both attended one of Gidget's pajama parties.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2016 1:54 AM

R3 It was because she was so tiny and light.

I love "Gidget." It's so cute and charming, and her relationship with her father is really sweet.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2016 1:56 AM

A young (hot) Daniel J. Travanti was also on an episode. He played an older photographer that Gidget had a crush on.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2016 1:58 AM

Henry Jaglom had a prominent role in one episode as Billy Roy Soames

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2016 2:02 AM

R3: Alejandro Rey

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2016 2:06 AM

My best friend Joey would sing The Flying Nun theme thusly:

Who needs wings to fly?

Certainly not I.

I take a pill away I go,

or maybe a sugar cuuube

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2016 2:19 AM

You can tell Gidget loved her gay father and even her crabby, jealous, know-it-all lesbian sister Ann.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2016 2:35 AM

Was Gidget intended for Fields. You could have seen the despicable Bonnie Franklin in the role as well. Fields was a high school classmate of Cindy Williams and she could have fit Gidget too.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2016 2:39 AM

LaRue was one of the better sitcom sidekicks.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2016 3:11 AM

Larue was a fun sidekick. Young and handsome Mike Nader showed up on "Gidget", too.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2016 3:18 AM

Hairy-chested Don Porter was a hot Silverdaddy.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2016 3:18 AM

Ann was such a frigid humorless bitch.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2016 3:19 AM

Sexy Pete Duel played her brother in law and I often thought he would have been perfect as Darrin on Bewitched. It definitely would have upped the sexy quotient on that show. I can picture him and Samantha going at it like rabbits much more than her and Dick York.

About that Daniel J Travanti episode.. he is hot in it but in a lot of scenes he has something black stuck in his teeth and I find it very distracting. I can't believe no one noticed when they were filming.

Also, Gidget lives in Hazel's house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2016 6:24 AM

So much fun to see the 60s fashions. It was a cute show and it should've been renewed. The Flying Nun was dumb, I knew that even as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2016 6:28 AM

R17, sexy Peter Duel committed suicide in the Hollywood Hills. They never found his nose. Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2016 6:32 AM

I found it, no worries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2016 6:37 AM

Alejandro Rey had the AIDS you know.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2016 9:55 AM

R3, when lift plus thrust is greater than load plus drag, well, anything can fly.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2016 11:05 AM

Actually the Flying Nun came first. Ann Sothern tried out for the role of the Flying Nun and the producers were laughing so hard it took them two years before they could stop. Gidget happened while they were laughing.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2016 12:30 PM

Peter Duel showed he had some potential on the show. Usually did not have much to do, but he had a lot of charisma, some comic timing, and was easy on the eyes.

Alias Smith and Jones was not a great show, but Duel and Murphy made it watchable (with recurring guest star Sally Field). A really shame that he ended his life. Also seems like Murphy should a little bigger career. Maybe not a huge movie star, but at least one TV show that lasted a few years.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2016 2:52 PM

r23

I can see fattie Ann Sothern trying for lift off LOL

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2016 3:17 PM

Before Smith and Jones, Peter Duel did "Love on a Rooftop" opposite crazy Judy Carne.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2016 3:57 PM

Never found his nose,wtf?

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2016 4:03 PM

rey was hot

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2016 5:06 PM

Gidget did not live in Hazel's house, r17. They used the same kitchen set but everything else was different.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2016 5:14 PM

And still hot years later in Moscow on the Hudson

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2016 5:15 PM

R29, the exterior set was the same used as Hazel's house (it's immediately to the left of the Bewitched house on Blondie Street on the lot), the interior kitchen set was exactly the same except for the addition of the back staircase where the door to Hazel's room had been. The living room was the same. The foyer was moved around, reversing the study door and putting the two stair sections side by side as opposed to an L-shape. Only the father's study and Gidget's bedroom were whole new sets.

I used to work at the Columbia Ranch, now the Warner Brothers Ranch.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2016 5:22 PM

The pilot used I Dream of Jeannie/Donna Reed house and in one episode Bewitched's interior was used for a friend's house. It looked exactly the same.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2016 9:53 PM

Wait 'til you see my Gidget, you'll want her for your valentine...

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2016 9:58 PM

I wanna see Pete's gidget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2016 10:04 PM

Theme song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 19, 2016 12:06 AM

R12 Her name is FIELD, you fat stupid whore!

by Anonymousreply 36December 19, 2016 12:57 AM

R3, it was a combination of the angle of her hat and her small size that made flying possible for her.

by Anonymousreply 37December 19, 2016 3:58 AM

It was the original Sally Field Programme!

by Anonymousreply 38December 19, 2016 5:28 AM

[quote]Also, Gidget lives in Hazel's house.

The REAL Hazel house not the fake Mr B's house.

by Anonymousreply 39December 19, 2016 6:09 AM

r37

Then shouldn't the HAT have flown right off her head?

And would that updraft pull on her head and stretch her neck beyond breakage?

by Anonymousreply 40December 19, 2016 6:10 AM

I loved the theme songs for both Gidget and the Flying Nun.

by Anonymousreply 41December 19, 2016 6:11 AM

"The moment we met we knew we were meant for each other." "Get lost!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2016 11:22 AM

Who played Moondoggie?

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2016 12:09 PM

[R43] - I don't know, but he was CREAMY!

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2016 1:53 PM

[quote]I Dream of Jeannie/Donna Reed house

That was the same house?

by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2016 3:43 PM

Yes it was

by Anonymousreply 46December 20, 2016 2:31 AM

Wait till you see my Bridget

You'll want her for your lesbo love

You know she is gay, but you stay away

Because you'll find

That Bridget is mine

by Anonymousreply 47December 20, 2016 4:13 PM

No...I Dream of Jeannie used the FATHER KNOWS BEST house exterior with a different interior set, not Donna Reed.

--guy who worked at Columbia Ranch

by Anonymousreply 48December 20, 2016 5:19 PM

I actually used to say, "Toodles", to the school bus driver when I got off the bus. Was I queer or what?

by Anonymousreply 49December 20, 2016 7:03 PM

r49

You were both queer and "or what"

by Anonymousreply 50December 20, 2016 7:05 PM

The Flying Nun was based on the book The Fifteenth Pelican written by a Civil Air Patrol pilot and Army wife who was the mother of a Vietnam War Medal of Honor winner and POW

by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2016 1:40 AM

Gidget changes your impression of Sally Field if you only knew her from Smokey and the Bandit, Norma Rae and Steel Magnolias.

She was precocious and shows comedic talent that she toned way down after Gidget.

by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2016 1:51 AM

Not just the the exteriors - Gidget filmed one scene in the living room set that was also being used as the Bewitched set. It was in color on Gidget and b&w on Bewitched (but color on Bewitched thd next season).

There's s blog that deals with the Warners ranch, where all the Screen Gems shows did their exteriors. The Partride family house is right across the street from the Bewitched/Gidget house.

by Anonymousreply 53December 23, 2016 1:58 AM

Why did the teen sitcom THE PATTY DUKE SHOW catch on and GIDGET didn't? Because Duke was an Oscar winner? The Patty/Cathy gimmick?

by Anonymousreply 54December 23, 2016 3:33 AM

I think Patty was earlier than Gidget. By the time Gidge came around the viewers had moved on.

by Anonymousreply 55December 23, 2016 3:41 AM

Sally Field is responsible for popularizing the most abused and harmful diagnoses in psychiatry ever. She should spend all her remaining days making reperations to the millions she harmed.

by Anonymousreply 56December 23, 2016 6:59 AM

[quote]Why did the teen sitcom THE PATTY DUKE SHOW catch on and GIDGET didn't?

Gidget was opposite "The Beverly Hillbillies". That probably had a lot to do with it. "The Beverly Hillbillies" appealed to both kids and older people and was always high in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 57December 23, 2016 8:19 AM

Loved the tv movie Gidget Grows Up with Karen Valentine. Gidg loses her virginity to Edward Mulhare, an older man. Paul Lynde plays Louie Latimer a former movie director. It's a very sweet movie. I wonder if Sally Field turned it down?

by Anonymousreply 58December 23, 2016 9:20 AM

[quote]Loved the tv movie Gidget Grows Up with Karen Valentine

The follow up movie Gidget Throws Up, was to be the showcase for Karen Carpenter's acting debut, but it was cancelled when the network refused to allow Richard Carpenter to play Moondoggie her love interest.

by Anonymousreply 59December 23, 2016 10:40 AM

Patty Duke tanked the year that Gidget debuted until Batman was brought in as a lead-in. The weak Patty Duke audience meant that Gidget started out badly. They shifted the show to Thursday night and the ratings gradually got better. The show actually did well in its audience numbers during reruns, but it was too late to bring it back. Screen Gems & ABC saw the potential in Peter Duel to cast him in the next season's "Love on a Rooftop" opposite world class psychobitch Judy Carne (they often clashed on set). "The Flying Nun" was put together as a vehicle for Field, based on Gidget's eventual ratings recovery and the network's continuing interest in her. Gidget, though, was cast on the basis of competitive auditions which included lots of young actresses including some marginally better known than Field.

Ann Sothern would have made a good wisecracking foil for the Nun---they had Marge Redmond as the easy going narrator and Shelley Morrison as the malaprop-ridden comic relief, but a shrewd wisecracking nun would have rounded out the cast.

by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2016 10:58 AM

[quote]Ann Sothern would have made a good wisecracking foil for the Nun

Sothern was an uber-slut, no one would cast her as a nun. As a whale yes, in fact they did, but not as a nun.

by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2016 11:08 AM

Casting against type can be interesting but Ann Sothern as a nun just would not have worked. It would have wound up being a very different show.

by Anonymousreply 62December 23, 2016 11:15 AM

Marge Redmond had been Sister Liguori in The Trouble With Angels - the kind nun - so I'm sure they got her for that reason. Years later she was the Cool Whip Lady, right?

by Anonymousreply 63December 23, 2016 11:46 AM

Ann Sothern would've been lusting after Carlos on camera and in real life. She was a whore.

by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2016 1:54 PM

I adore Ann Sothern but she could never have gone without her false eyelashes and mascara and would have insisted on a black habit.

by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2016 2:06 PM

Alejandro Rey was a gay icon. The man was sex on a stick. He has looks and a Latin flair. He was also hung like a horse.I got the impression The Flying Nun was blowing him every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 66December 23, 2016 2:14 PM

Those Swingin' Sisters!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 23, 2016 2:30 PM

When the Gidget goes Hawaiian, she goes Hawaiian all the way!

Remember when everybody went surfin?

by Anonymousreply 68December 23, 2016 2:40 PM

Was Pete Duel gay? He was linked with Judy Carne (Burt Reynolds) and Kim Darby (Andrew Stevens), neither of whom are lookers. And the girls he publicly hooked up with were almost all unattractive. His last girlfriend, who found his body, claimed she was an actress but wasn't anything to look at. One of his publicity photos said he liked "natural and unaffected girls" and he loved watching sports car racing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 23, 2016 3:04 PM

R31, when did you work there? I found a website about the ranch, where "I Dream of Jeannie," "Here Come the Brides," and "The Monkees" were filmed during roughly the period when "Gidget" was. Do you have any good stories about the actors on those shows?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 23, 2016 4:12 PM

Sally and Davy Jones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2019 5:41 AM

Hey Hey we're with Sally!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 26, 2019 5:42 AM

Underrated acting and writing

by Anonymousreply 73February 29, 2020 3:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!