Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peggy Lipton and Quincy Jones

Eldergays, what was the general public thought about this '70s power couple? Was there general acceptance of them? Did either pay a career price for their interracial marriage (especially being white female/black male)? They were both beautiful and produced beautiful children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2019 2:33 AM

OP, I was a huge fan of the MOD SQUAD and I don't recall there being any negative publicity, mainly because Peggy Lipton went into semi-retirement once she married Quincy in '74. The show was canceled in '73 and she wanted to start a family. She worked off and on for about ten years before returning to regular tv with Twin Peaks.

Little known fact - Peggy's exes were Paul McCartney, Elvis and Sammy Davis, Jr, whom she was dating when she met Quincy Jones.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2016 9:53 PM

They weren't the only and first black-white couple OP.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2016 10:08 PM

To this day Peggy Lipton is a beautiful woman. A very underrated beauty through the years.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2016 11:04 PM

I saw Quincy Jones in concert and he introduced one obviously gay back up singer as a pervert ,,,,, as in here's our resident pervert ha ha...... So not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2016 1:23 AM

Was it Michael Jackson R4?

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2016 1:27 AM

Nobody said anything, OP. Lipton was never a real star, and most people didn't understand what Jones did. That Quincy was a serial womanizer throughout the marriage didn't get press either.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2016 1:36 AM

Peggy was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2016 1:43 AM

I wish I could go back in time and keep them from meeting that way we wouldn't have to see Rashida Jones in tv shows or movies.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2016 1:49 AM

[R6] 's post is my memory of it.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2016 1:51 AM

Peggy really dropped off the face of the earth once she had kids. I don't think fame was any big deal to her.

However, she was from a relatively well-off Jewish family, so I would have to think her family had some resistance to it at first.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2016 1:57 AM

OP, it was the '70's not the '50's. Black and white couples were not all that unusual. Georg Standford Brown was married to Thyne Daly and Diana Ross was married to Robert Silberstein. I mean, i guess if you lived in Utah or Colorado or some other culterallly deficient state it would have been scandalous or odd, but not where i grew up.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2016 1:57 AM

His partners have all been white, so nothing new for him.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2016 1:57 AM

I like her soups.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2016 2:09 AM

Jones is rumored to be a pedo. Boys. Linked to that pedophile ring based in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2016 2:26 AM

Didn't they break up because Lipton got involved in some kind of weird cult of sorts? Q supposedly had a full on breakdown when she left him.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2016 3:53 AM

I didn't know they were married until their daughter was on The Office.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2016 3:56 AM

[quote]Didn't they break up because Lipton got involved in some kind of weird cult of sorts? Q supposedly had a full on breakdown when she left him.

I recall that Lipton was briefly involved in Scientology during the time she dated Elvis. Was she still involved while with Jones?

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2016 4:01 AM

This was back in the day and most of the public was barely aware of it.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2016 4:14 AM

Peggy Lipton was/is beautiful, but was never a stellar actress, so her decision to semi-retire and focus on her family was smart. I don't know about any involvement with a cult.

She raised her children as Jewish. They are both beautiful and intelligent (Rashida's sister--Kidiada, I think--attended Harvard). Rashida is a very accomplished actress and filmmaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2016 4:23 AM

Here's Peggy and Rashida in a recent photo.

Gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2016 4:26 AM

Rashida went to Harvard; Kidada went to FIT.

It's interesting: Rashida is the dictionary definition of "white adjacent," dating white men and often being cast as characters with indeterminate ethnicity. But Kidada has a more "black" phenotype and dated men like Tupac.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2016 4:42 AM

I think Rashida is beautiful and quite good at playing the straight woman in comedy. Was sad when she left 'Parks and Rec' as I thought she and Poehler were a good pair. That said, she presents so 'normal' and 'ordinary' in all her roles that it's hard to believe who her parents are.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2016 4:49 AM

R21 Rashida has talked about this very dichotomy in interviews. It's amazing how much minorities' appearances dictate the social circles they move in and their romantic and even professional opportunities .

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2016 5:17 AM

Exactly, R23. There was an excellent interview that Rashida and Kidada did on the issue years ago - I forgot the exact mag ("Cosmopolitan", maybe?).

The interview seemed to reveal that Rashida's "white adjacency" and Kidada's "black adjacency" is - at least in part - due to their respective physical appearances, and the different experiences they've had due to Rashida's being better-able to "pass for white". I think it also may have something to do with their different personalities - Kidada seems more outgoing and fiery...Rashida more reserved and "bookish".

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2016 5:59 AM

Peggy was a racist and she and black lezzo lover Laura Nyro had a love hate lesbian relationship.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2017 9:54 AM

This pussy is white and keeps kosher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2017 10:58 AM

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2019 2:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!