Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hollywood's most legendary alcoholics

The worst drunks of all time. It seems to especially afflict actors who play dashing hero types.

John Barrymore

Peter O'Toole

Oliver Reed

Richard Harris

Humphrey Bogart

Richard Burton

Errol Flynn

by Anonymousreply 131April 9, 2020 3:27 AM

William Holden

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2016 7:00 AM

Spencer Tracy, not dashing but very much a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2016 7:07 AM

Errol Flynn and John Barrymore were great friends and drinking buddies, during the thirties. Barrymore used to come over to Flynn's house, which had an expansive view if LA, and piss out the windows "In the hopes of hitting the Warner Brothers below".

I believe some drunken pranksters stole Barrymore's corpse out of the funeral home, and put it in Flynn's living room with a drink in its hand. Flynn practically shit himself.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2016 7:16 AM

In the spirit of fairness, any ladies? :-D

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2016 7:20 AM

Joan Crawford, Rita Hayworth, Frances Farmer, Barbara Payton, Veronica Lake, Grace Kelly, Gail Russell

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2016 11:33 AM

William Holden. Alcohol killed him. He was drunk, fell over, hit his head on a table in his apartment and bled to death. He was found 4 days later.

Anyone know any stories about Richard Burton's legendary drunkenness while he was in Camelot?

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2016 12:38 PM

[quote] In the spirit of fairness, any ladies? :-D

Tallulah Bankhead, of course

Barbara Payton

Lucille Ball

Gail Russell

Mercedes McCambridge

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2016 4:07 PM

I don't think I like your tone OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2016 4:13 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2016 4:14 PM

One of Hollywood's most legendary supposed drunks was Dean Martin, but he actually didn't drink nearly as much as people thought. The tumbler of "gin" he carried with him on his show was usually only filled with water. He just thought people found him more charming when they thought he was drunk.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2016 4:15 PM

Wasn't Ava Gardner a hard drinker? Micky Rooney too but where he found space for it all in that little munchkin body I don't know. George C. Scott could put it away with the best of them.

In fact nearly all of the old timers could pound them back.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2016 4:20 PM

Lon Chaney, Jr. He kept a hip flask while filming all of his movies. His drunken antics delayed many a production. A leading lady on one of his Mummy movies said he could barely stand straight while trying to pick her up. Another time they found him passed out naked in his trailer, covered in feces. He was only 67 when he died, but the looked like a very old man.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2016 4:33 PM

Ann Sheridan

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2016 4:37 PM

Oona O'Neill Chaplin and Simone Signoret - both died of pancreatic cancer, a give away

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2016 4:39 PM

Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra, Jackie Gleason, Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen, Johnny Depp

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2016 4:41 PM

R14, is pancreatic cancer really related to drinking? I know people say it, but is it true?

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2016 4:50 PM

I remember reading a book about how almost all of the big female stars of old Hollywood were dysfunctional/addicts of some sort. Each chapter went through an individual history and detailed behavior that was somehow glossed over at the time but which illustrated the theory. If anyone else remembers this book please tell me the title. I read it in the 80s and can't recall the title and internet searching hasn't rendered it.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2016 4:51 PM

r14 My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer and never touched a drop in her life. No r16 don't listen to that idiot r14

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2016 4:53 PM

R2, I was just listening to a podcast about Spencer. He was a freaking crazy alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2016 4:54 PM

R5: Grace Kelly? As in THE Grace Kelly? Princess Grace of Monaco?

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2016 10:04 PM

I bet Ann Miller wasn't a drunk. I liked Ann Miller.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2016 10:53 PM

Tallulah's last words were "Codeine.... Bourbon."

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2016 11:07 PM

Miss Blanche Hudson, three sheets to the wind and still in that chair:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2016 11:07 PM

"Mother warned me about men and whiskey but she never said a word about women and cocaine."

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2016 11:10 PM

Mrs Norman Maine's husband.

False story about Barrymore's body being sneaked into Flynn's house to frighten him. This never happened.

Barrymore's daughter, Diana, also died from the drink and the cocaines.

Lovely Gail Russell couldn't satisfy Guy Madison like Rory Calhoun could, so she hit the bottle until she died too.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2016 11:28 PM

John Barrymore's siblings both had substance abuse problems, Ethel was a big drinker until fairly late in life, when she built a second career as a character actress in films. Lionel used morphine because of his chronic arthritis pain, lots and lots of it. John Barrymore jr. has had a lifelong struggle with mental illness and alcohol, and of course his daughter Drew Barrymore first went to rehab at 13 or 14.

The Barrymores are an argument for addiction having a genetic component.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2016 11:49 PM

Peter O'Toole reportedly passed out and pissed himself, in the "Tonight Show" guest chair.

Then, all his generation of Brit actors seemed to be massive drunks, Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Richard Burton, etc.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2016 11:51 PM

Didn't Richard Burton throw up on himself sitting in a restaurant booth while talking with the press?

Brian Donlevy was a drinker.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2016 12:06 AM

R27 Except Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Peter Ustinov, Michael Caine, Richard Attenborough, Dirk Bogarde, James Mason, Stewart Grainger, Albert Finney, John Gielgud, Lawrence Olivier, Alec Guiness, Christopher Lee, David Niven.... All close enough in generation but not problem drinkers. You only hear about the excesses, the ones who have a cup of tea and an early night don't make headlines.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2016 12:06 AM

You are a bit naive R29. Many on your list were functional alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2016 12:14 AM

R22: I really hope a movie is made about Tallulah Bankhead. Some brilliant homosexual men surely must be working to make that happen.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2016 1:06 AM

[quote] Grace Kelly? As in THE Grace Kelly? Princess Grace of Monaco?

No, Rose. Just a run-of-the-mill Grace Kelly from Paducah, KY. That's why we're talking about her on a thread called "Hollywood's most legendary alcoholics."

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2016 1:10 AM

R23: Miss Crawford looked so chic and lovely as always with her colour-coordinated outfit. Everything matched!

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2016 1:11 AM

R32: Excuse me, missy but no one has really discussed her! There was merely a mention and it certainly is understandable that some people would be surprised.

At least, I don't look like Paul Bunyan in drag when I wear high heels and shoulder pads!

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2016 1:25 AM

W.C. Fields. And his rosacea aggravated by his chronic drinking turned his nose into something quite nasty later on (likewise J. P. Morgan).

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2016 1:31 AM

Not a big name, but Oscar winner Gig Young, who was once engaged to that other boozehound Elaine Stritch. His third wife, Elizabeth Montgomery divorced him because of his alcoholism. His fifth wife wasn't so lucky.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2016 1:32 AM

[quote]He was only 67 when he died, but the looked like a very old man.

Even worse. Lon Chaney died at 47.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2016 1:37 AM

About Lon Chaney's death - nothing to do with booze: "During the filming of Thunder in the winter of 1929, Chaney developed pneumonia. In late 1929 he was diagnosed with bronchial lung cancer. This was exacerbated when artificial snow, made out of cornflakes, lodged in his throat during filming and quickly created a serious infection.[13] Despite aggressive treatment, his condition gradually worsened, and seven weeks after the release of the remake of The Unholy Three, he died of a throat hemorrhage on Tuesday, August 26, 1930 "

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2016 1:50 AM

Errol Flynn and Richard Burton lasted longer than you'd think given the amount they drank and smoked. Gore Vidal had wet rain and he was quite old when he died. Peter O'Toole, too. Then again, Gloria Vanderbilt's father died in his 40s from drinking as well as Trump's brother. It seems some livers are stronger than others by a wide margin.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2016 1:53 AM

Jason Robards Paul Newman (yeah...he hid that one well but pretty sure he was drinking every day) Montgomery Clift

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2016 1:54 AM

Paul Newman drank cases of beer every day. I know this from people who worked with him. Oddly, it didn't show on his face but apparently it did hurt his ability to remember lines.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2016 2:31 AM

r35, Morgan's rhinoplyma was not aggravted by drinking--it was just a genetic condition he inherited.

Field's rhinoplyma was aggravated by his drinking, though again it was not caused by it.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2016 2:35 AM

Leave Liza alone !!!

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2016 2:35 AM

Elisabeth Taylor

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2016 2:41 AM

r42, they both had rosacea as the underlying cause of their rhinoplyma and heavy drinking is prime cause of rosacea flare-ups. I did not say Fields' drinking caused his rhinoplyma. I said it aggravated his roscacea. Fields' alcoholism and his roscacea are both well documented.

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2016 2:42 AM

Judy Garland

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2016 2:43 AM

But Morgan was not an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2016 2:44 AM

You most certainly do have to be a drunk to get rhinoplyma.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2016 2:50 AM

Talking about Lon Chaney JUNIOR, R37 and R38. The guy who played Lenny in Of Mice and Men and the Wolf Man in several horror films in the 1940's. A lot of people around here are seriously lacking in knowledge about Classic Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2016 2:52 AM

Holden was also apparently the "actor who had died while he was drinking" that Suzanne Vega referred to in "Tom's Diner"...

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2016 2:54 AM

Don't forget about Jack Cassidy. He got drunk one night, passed out on his couch with a lit cigarette in his hand, the couch caught fire, and he burned to death.

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2016 2:57 AM

Please don't remind me, r51. Tears.

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2016 2:59 AM

R49, you sound like a master of old Hollywood. Tell us what it was like when you first went to a talkie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2016 3:26 AM

Don't even remind me of it.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2016 3:34 AM

[quote] You most certainly do have to be a drunk to get rhinoplyma.

Nope. That's a myth:

[quote] There’s no known cause for rhinophyma. In the past, it was thought to be due to alcohol use, but recent research has disproven that connection. The condition occurs in people who drink alcohol and those who don’t drink alcohol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2016 3:51 AM

Richard Harris was not a drunk, quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2016 3:51 AM

R53, I learned from watching old movies on DVD, reading scholarly books, and paying attention to detail. I know it's tough for a guy who saw Lily Langtry in her debut to accept moving pictures, but it's time for you to accept reality.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2016 3:53 AM

Lillie Langtry was no goddamn drunk! 30 days for you!

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2016 3:58 AM

What does the link to Lon Chaney SENIOR's Wikipedia article prove, R53? No even mentioned him until you showed up and started your priss pot "I know more than you do" by mistaking Lon Chaney, Sr. for his son. Besides being ancient, does your family tree mention any ancestors or relatives by the name of Drump?

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2016 3:58 AM

Gordon MacRae, but not at the time of his death.

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2016 4:13 AM

The Dean Martin show was on for ten years yet no one seems to remember it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2016 4:14 AM

Dana Andrews

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2016 4:30 AM

MTM meow

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2016 4:36 AM

Judy Garland, high on booze and pills. She had just turned 47 when she died, and didn't look at day under 70.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2016 4:52 AM

One person who knew W.C. Fields said his nose looked like it had been severely frostbitten at some point. As Fields had spent some time living rough in his youth, it was possible that's why his nose looked like one of the wartier sort of melons.

Plus he was a big drunk, of course. Never liked his films myself. Give me the Marx Bros any day.

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2016 5:03 AM

About 7 out of 10 cases of chronic pancreatitis are due to long term heavy drinking. Chronic pancreatitis is a known risk factor for cancer of the pancreas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2016 5:53 AM

Wendell Corey and Robert Newton drank themselves to death.

Both were excellent character actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2016 12:25 PM

[quote]No even mentioned him until you showed up and started your priss pot "I know more than you do" by mistaking Lon Chaney, Sr. for his son.

It's "prisspot." One word, a portmanteu of "priss" and "pisspot."

[quote]Besides being ancient, does your family tree mention any ancestors or relatives by the name of Drump?

You mean "Drumpf."

For being a smartass, you're not very smart at all, are you?

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2016 12:34 PM

Bette Davis drank like a fish in her private life, the bios are full of stories of Bette's obnoxious drunken behavior at dinner parties and other gatherings. She did have enough self-control to never drink while working or making public appearances, however.

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2016 12:36 PM

[quote]John Barrymore jr. has had a lifelong struggle with mental illness and alcohol, and of course his daughter Drew Barrymore first went to rehab at 13 or 14.

John Barrymore Jr. died some years ago.

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2016 12:58 PM

Tony Curtis was a drunk in the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2016 1:28 PM

Ben Affleck, Alec Baldwin, Drew Barrymore, Mary J. Blige, Amanda Bynes, James Caan, Bradley Cooper, Kristin Davis, Gerard Depardieu, Andy Dick, Marlene Dietrich, Robert Downey Jr., Patty Duke, Eminem, Carrie Fisher, Michael J. Fox, Melanie Griffith, Larry Hagman, Tom Hanks, David Hasselhoff, Anthony Hopkins, Samuel L. Jackson, Billy Joel, Elton John, Janis Joplin, Kris Kristofferson, Lindsay Lohan, Rob Lowe, Ewan McGregor, Mary Tyler Moore, Tracy Morgan, Leonard Nimoy, Nick Nolte, Ozzie Osbourne, Mackenzie Phillips, Daniel Radcliffe, Diana Ross, Peter Sellers, Jada Pickett Smith, Patrick Swayze, Steven Tyler, Charlie Watts, Hank Williams, Robin Williams, Amy Winehouse, Robert Young

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2016 1:33 PM

R11, both Ava Gardner and Sinatra were reckless lushes (someone tell the gun story). She dated George C Scott in the 1960s, and he would beat her in drunken rages - it was very well known. Lena Horne told of nightly martini fests with Ava in the late 1940s.

More than half of the names on R72's list are wrong, btw.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2016 1:54 PM

Paul Lynde was known to get nasty when drunk.

I think Johnny Carson was a drunk too.

It's interesting to note that a lot of drinking happened back in those days. 50's thru 70's. People for the most part were functional alcoholics. I wonder if alcoholism today is worse because of the limit of drinking allowed in public and on t.v.? Is this why people binge drink?

Imagine Ellen coming out on her show with a martini in hand. Or, jimmy Fallon sitting at his desk with a scotch and cigarette in hand...

B.t.w., both above are drunks too?!?! I still find it weird that Ellen is such a lush. Just can't picture it..

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2016 2:19 PM

Marlene Dietrich was a total lush, and she fell several times while onstage during the 60s and 70s. She made one final film appearance in Just A Gigolo in 1978, and was bombed while filming her scenes. Immediately after that, she became a total recluse in her Paris apartment, drinking all day and all night and never leaving the apartment until her death 14 years later.

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2016 2:30 PM

Ida Lupino. While she was directing "The Trouble with Angels" in 1966 her drinking became so bad Roz Russell called the producer, William Frye, and said, "Ida and those drinks. She's got to go." Frye had a long talk with Lupino, and she didn't drink while she was on the set for the duration of the shoot anyway.

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2016 2:46 PM

Oh dear, R68, spell check split prisspot into two words, and I forgot to put the "f" on Drumpf. You're either the bitch who intimately knew Lily Langtry, or you're someone else who believes there were no Technicolor films until 1962, and that Star Wars inaugurated the first era of great filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2016 4:16 PM

"I think Johnny Carson was a drunk too."

That's because he talked about it on the air, R74.

The big revelation about Paul Newman after his death, was that he was a functioning alcoholic. In addition to all of the beer he drank during the day, there was scotch in the evening. I think Newman's directing career suffered tremendously after 1968.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2016 4:29 PM

R30 Like Michael Caine, who admitted to once having a two bottles of vodka a day habit.

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2016 4:42 PM

Leo decaprio

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2016 4:45 PM

There's lot of actors who were alcoholics, but there's only a small group of "legendary" alcoholics (Burton, O'Toole, Reed etc) No one will ever recount tales about Ben Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2016 4:49 PM

Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2016 4:51 PM

Richard Burton raped Eddie Fisher during one of his drunken rages. Eddie's humiliation was quite clear to many people. Richard took Eddie's woman - and manhood. Supposedly Roddy McDowall found out and told a few intimates.

by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2016 4:55 PM

Am I the only one who feels that golden Hollywood actors were so much more glamorous and classy? They had a mystique

by Anonymousreply 84September 16, 2016 4:58 PM

No r84. They just didn't have the Internet. Makes it so much easier to find out dirt on someone with secrets.

by Anonymousreply 85September 16, 2016 4:59 PM

Wasn't there some story that Roddy had diaries or something about scandalous Hollywood stories that he said would never be released after he died?

by Anonymousreply 86September 16, 2016 5:01 PM

R85 Or it makes it easier to make spread false rumours.

by Anonymousreply 87September 16, 2016 5:05 PM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 88September 16, 2016 5:14 PM

R85 Cell phone cameras also make it possible for anyone to pap stars without makeup doing boring shit. Takes away the glamor.

by Anonymousreply 89September 16, 2016 5:17 PM

Buster Keaton crawled into a bottle for about a decade. He was institutionalized for it.

Johnny Carson was apparently one of those drunks who get mean and nasty. After a few drinks all he wanted to do was verbally insult you until he got a fight started.

by Anonymousreply 90September 16, 2016 5:31 PM

And a hangover, R84.

by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2016 5:34 PM

r90 My great-great aunt, a vaudevillian, would hold Buster Keaton offstage when he was a baby while his parents were onstage during their vaudeville show. His father abused him psychically as a child. I wonder if that had anything to do with his drinking problems later in life.

by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2016 5:34 PM

As far as classic actresses go, I think Joan Crawford was the all-time drunken champion. She was visibly intoxicated on-camera in her later career.

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2016 5:39 PM

R93, then it's entirely appropriate that Jessica Lange will be playing her in that forthcoming Ryan Murphy TV series.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2016 5:54 PM

r72, Mary J. Blige, Eminem, Billy Joel, Elton John, Janis Joplin, Ozzie Osbourne, Steven Tyler, Charlie Watts, Hank Williams, and Amy Winehouse are not part of "Hollywood."

by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2016 6:06 PM

My favorite Drunk...Spencer Tracy. The story was he drank because his son was born Deaf and he blamed himself. The "REAL STORY" was that Spencer was a DRUNK because he was trying to "Drink the GAY AWAY" As w all know, his relationship with Hepburn was a "cover for her eating PUSSY and HIM "SUCKING COCK-GETTING FUCKED" He lived on Cukor's estate on and off for years(one of the biggest FAGS In Hollyweird) with all his "hanger-ons gays and lesbians" George was probably blowing his drunken ass.

by Anonymousreply 96September 16, 2016 6:06 PM

It seems as if you become a Hollywood star it's more likely than not you will become an alcoholic, though I agree many of the ones people are listing are not what I would call "legendary."

by Anonymousreply 97September 16, 2016 6:07 PM

r96 Why would anyone want to blow Tracy's drunken ass? Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 98September 16, 2016 6:07 PM

Was not June Allyson a drunky?

by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2016 6:44 PM

Montgomery Clift.

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2016 7:01 PM

r72 at least four people on your list were/are mentally ill. They may have had/have a problem with alcohol but the underlying cause was mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2016 7:03 PM

And Kelsey Grammer, expecting baby nummer 7

by Anonymousreply 102September 16, 2016 7:06 PM

[quote][R90] My great-great aunt, a vaudevillian, would hold Buster Keaton offstage when he was a baby while his parents were onstage during their vaudeville show. His father abused him psychically as a child. I wonder if that had anything to do with his drinking problems later in life.

Yrs, the act actually involved the father throwing Buster across the stage, dropping him, kicking him, etc.. The police investigated the act in several cities, and Buster was forced to submit to a physical exam looking for bruises and broken bones--that's how violent the act was.is Father was (Surprise!) also an alcoholic. Buster also injured himself countless times doing movie stunts (including a broken neck). You don't do all that and not have some pain, so maybe he was self-medicating a bit.

Buster's drinking went off the deep end when he went through a bad divorce. That, along with losing his money in The Crash and being terribly unhappy at MGM.

by Anonymousreply 103September 16, 2016 7:11 PM

R84 Thank you, Ann Miller

by Anonymousreply 104September 16, 2016 7:17 PM

Kathleen Turner's alcoholism was a way to self-medicate the pain of her arthritis.

by Anonymousreply 105September 16, 2016 7:20 PM

Jack Lemmon was an alcoholic, until he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 106September 16, 2016 7:28 PM

Is there a good book about Bankhead?

by Anonymousreply 107September 16, 2016 7:47 PM

Stinky LaBrea, he would get so tarred up, he'd suck on the roots of the Agave plants that covered modern day Hollywood. This goes back to Hollywood's jurassic period. He died when he fell in the Old Tar Pit which was later renamed in his honor.

by Anonymousreply 108September 16, 2016 8:01 PM

Stinky LaBrea, he'd suck the roots of agave plants. This goes back to Hollywood Jurassic period and Stinky died in the tar pits, which were later renamed in his honor.

by Anonymousreply 109September 16, 2016 8:03 PM

R108, r109. Fail.

by Anonymousreply 110September 16, 2016 9:25 PM

They don't exactly qualify as "legends," but Gale Storm, Barbara Hutton, Linda Darnell, and Barbara Payton were all alcoholics. The first two did eventually stop drinking, but sadly, the second two did not. Darnell died in a house fire when she was only 41.

Payton's life is one of the most fascinating and sordid Hollywood stories I know. Kim Morgan wrote a great piece about her, linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 16, 2016 11:47 PM

Dick Van Dyke

by Anonymousreply 112September 16, 2016 11:53 PM

W.C Fields. On day, he met a journalist (? author ? can someone confirm and provide the name ?) for an interview. Talked with him, drank with him. Then a rather drunk Fields took the young man to theater, they both sat and watched the first scene. When the first scene was over, Fields leant and whispered to the young journalist (?) : " Now something very interesting is going to happen. " " What ?" " I am supposed to be playing in scene 2.".

by Anonymousreply 113September 17, 2016 12:09 AM

When someone asked W.C. Fields why he didn't drink water, he answered, "Fish fuck in it".

by Anonymousreply 114September 17, 2016 5:40 PM

R111, Barbara Hutton was not an actress. Perhaps you mean Betty Hutton who was also mentally ill.

R112 beat me to it with Dick Van Dyke.

Bea Arthur was also a huge lush for a good part of her career.

by Anonymousreply 115September 17, 2016 5:53 PM

I'm pretty sure I would've been a lush in Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 116September 17, 2016 9:53 PM

Anna May Wong. Pat Morita.

by Anonymousreply 117September 17, 2016 11:35 PM

OP - your list is a good start but so many to chose from (and lots of women!!)

by Anonymousreply 118September 17, 2016 11:55 PM

Hope Lange

Donald Pleasence

by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2020 3:35 PM

I looked inside Richard Burton's changing room, actually an RV.

He had a sack of ice thrown in the sink. Stuck in the ive was a huge bottle of vodka.

This was while he was on set making a movie at the Warner Bros lot in Burbank.

That was quite a surprize for me.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2020 4:16 PM

Robert Young (Father Knows Best, Marcus Welby.)

[quote]Despite his trademark portrayal of happy, well-adjusted characters, Young's bitterness toward Hollywood casting practices never diminished, and he suffered from depression and alcoholism, culminating in a suicide attempt in January 1991. Later, he spoke candidly about his personal problems in an effort to encourage others to seek help. The Robert Young Community Mental Health Center is named after Young in honor of his work toward passage of the 708 Illinois Tax Referendum, which established a property tax to support mental health programs in his home state. The Center started in Rock Island, Illinois and now has sites in both Iowa and Illinois, as part of the Quad-City Metro Area.

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2020 4:28 PM

Who was it who said "Anyone who doesn't love Hollywood is either crazy or sober." Maybe Raymond Chandler?

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2020 4:56 PM

I'm working on it.

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2020 6:51 PM

One of my favorite actors Robert Mitchum was a heavy hitter as they say.

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2020 7:20 PM

Laurette Taylor, not a Hollywood legend but one of Broadway. Her performance in the original production of THE GLASS MENAGERIE is one still talked about to this day but it has been written that she would be tremendously hungover when coming to do the show, go onstage and do a scene, come offstage, vomit in a bucket, then go back for the next scene as if nothing happened.

I saw Peter O'Toole on Broadway in a revival of PYGMALION. He was quite drunk. In one scene, he was sitting in a chair while the actors onstage with him were going on and he would start to doze off. Then at one point he stood up and stumbled forward so badly that the actors all reached forward as if to catch him. I was shocked and lost any admiration I had for him.

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2020 7:37 PM

Lee Marvin - An entertainment reporter recounted interviewing him at his home. Marvin had a big tumbler of water that he sipped from. The reporter was having trouble with the interview until he realized Marvin wasn't answering the current question; he was answering the previous question. And the reporter realized the tumbler was full of vodka.

Nick Nolte - Supposedly after the bars closed, he and a friend would go to the airport and get on a flight, because you could still get drinks in the air. When he did a movie with Katharine Hepburn, she greeted him with some comment about how he'd been spotted drunk in Hollywood gutters.

Maureen Stapleton - I don't know if she was legendary. She mentioned her drinking in some interview and that at some point Bogart, a fellow drunk, had looked out for her. Carol Matthau mentioned Stapleton's terrible housekeeping in one of her books, but I don't know if she related it to alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 126April 9, 2020 1:14 AM

Sadly, Graham Chapman bogged down all the Monty Python film sets with his drinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 9, 2020 1:51 AM

Keifer Sutherland - he has been locked up for being a drunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 9, 2020 3:02 AM

David Hasselhoff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 9, 2020 3:05 AM

After she left Fox in 1946, Carmen Miranda became a big drunk and coke addict.

by Anonymousreply 130April 9, 2020 3:25 AM

Oprah and Gayle

by Anonymousreply 131April 9, 2020 3:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!