Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andy Griffith & Don Knotts: Womanizing Their Way Through Mayberry

Andy Griffith and his second banana Don Knotts came off as shy country bumpkins on their hit sitcom set in fictional Mayberry, North Carolina.

But they used their squeaky-clean act to fool America and mask their twisted real lives!

Now a just-released blockbuster book, “Andy & Don,” rips the lid off the shameful secrets of the beloved stars who played Sheriff Andy Taylor and his bumbling deputy Barney Fife on the popular series, which ran from 1960 to 1968.

Written by Don’s brother-in-law Daniel De Visé, the book has branded both men as sex-crazed womanizers who cheated on their first wives — and going on secret double dates with their mistresses!

The author also revealed Andy’s shocking dark rages. The actor wrecked hotel rooms and smashed car windshields during fits of fury that also kept his cast and crew quaking in terror!

“Most of us were deathly afraid of Andy,” confessed George Lindsey, who played Goober Pyle on the sitcom.

But two people who weren’t cowed by Andy were his lifelong buddy Don and Aneta Corsaut, who played Helen Crump, his girlfriend, on the sitcom.

She became his real-life lover almost immediately after joining the cast in 1963.

“Andy couldn’t get enough of Aneta,” the author wrote—quoting one of Andy’s buddies as saying the relationship “was true love. They were closer than anyone knew.”

Certainly, Andy hid his affair from then-wife Barbara, who he wed in 1949 and divorced in 1972. But he often went on double dates with Don, who was married to first wife Kathryn Metz at the time.

Don’s squeeze was Lynn Paul, the assistant to Andy’s manager, said the book, which also claimed Don’s marriage to Kathryn ended in divorce in 1966 after he confessed to his humiliated wife he’d been bedding Lynn.

Meanwhile, Andy’s torrid affair with Aneta was the worst-kept secret on the set.

Once as a prank, a crew member donned a waiter’s uniform and delivered a dinner to his Hollywood hotel room — catching Andy and Aneta locked in a steamy embrace.

Andy was so smitten with Aneta that he proposed to her even though he was married, says the book.

“Andy popped the question at least once and possibly two or three times, as Aneta hinted in later years,” wrote the author. “She turned him down.”

Added her brother Jesse: “She wanted to keep her personal freedom.”

Aneta also kept Andy on the hook until her death in 1995, 17 years before his 2012 passing. From 1987 to 1992, he cast her in roles on his hit lawyer series, “Matlock.”

But the author says party-hardy Andy bedded other women, too, including stunning actress Joanna Moore—who appeared in four episodes of “The Andy Griffith Show,” and later wed Ryan O’Neal and was the mother of his daughter Tatum.

Don and Andy became fast friends after co-starring on Broadway in “No Time for Sergeants” in 1955. Don helped keep Andy’s dark side in check.

But Andy’s rages got worse after Don left Mayberry over a money dispute.

Don felt he was paid “chump change” compared to Andy, who owned part of the show and was making $1 million a year. Don asked to become a 50/50 partner.

When Andy refused, Don left to make movies — and the remaining cast and family members felt the Griffith wrath. A friend says Andy’s white-hot rages were “unbearable.”

He once trashed a Manhattan hotel room. During a furious fight with wife Barbara, he even punched out a car windshield.

A source noted Andy later admitted seeing a shrink for more than a dozen years to control his rages and the feeling of worthlessness that tormented him.

“My life has been affected by an almost total feeling of inadequacy,” he explained. “It’s been with me my whole life.”

Andy was especially bitter — and jealous — over the Emmy Awards and the critical acclaim that Don won.

------------

So now we know Don Knotts was just playing himself in "The Love God"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2018 6:38 AM

Proof we really have already exhausted every possible interesting topic.

OP Your efforts are appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2016 8:21 PM

Andy was a liberal, wasn't he? So at least he wasn't a hypocritical moralist. And there's worse crimes than marital infidelity and having a bad temper.

by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2016 8:22 PM

[quote]But they used their squeaky-clean act to fool America

More like they used their celebrity status and money

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2016 8:28 PM

Was Andy really playing himself as Elmer Gantry?

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2016 8:29 PM

He was playing Burt Lancaster.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2016 8:30 PM

R5, thanks for catching that. I meant Lonesome Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd. Dumb me confusing the two.

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2016 8:34 PM

The more squeaky-clean the image, the less likely. Robert Young of Father Knows Best was a depressed drunk. Bill Cosby was, well...

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2016 8:35 PM

Lonesome Rhodes was much worse than a philanderer. Mountain/molehill imo.

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2016 8:36 PM

Don Knotts: Womanizer. Not something I thought I would be hearing about today.

Or ever.

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2016 8:49 PM

He was once young and had money. Also playing a nerd, must've dressed better in real life. And didn't act like a fool all the time.

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2016 8:51 PM

Oh, yeah, he was hot stuff!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2016 9:02 PM

He looked pretty good at the height of his fame:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2016 9:05 PM

R11 is that his Burt Reynolds shirt?

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2016 9:08 PM

[quote]Robert Young of Father Knows Best was a depressed drunk

No, that was because his coffee had too much caffeine, once he started drinking Sanka he was fine. Sanka, calms the jimmy nerves.

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2016 11:07 PM

What about Don Knotts in the Furley years? I hear he used to "accidentally" bump into Suzanne Somers and say "honk honk"

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2016 11:39 PM

Andy was open in his later years about his anger problem. He actually appeared with his fingers bandaged on an episode of TAGS after punching a wall. It isn't true that Don left over a money dispute. His movie career had taken off and Andy encouraged him to go for it. He returned as a guest on a few of the color episodes. Both of them had film contracts with Universal, though Andy's fizzled after Angel In My Pocket, but my brother and I loved it when we saw it at the Saturday matinee.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2016 12:33 AM

The original contract for TAGS that Don and Andy signed for was for 5 years. Andy originally wanted to do five seasons and move on. The fifth season was coming to an end and Don took the Universal contract to keep his career going. Unbeknownst to him, Andy decided to keep the show going and re-signed. Don was stuck now in the Universal contract and couldn't get out to continue the weekly role in TAGS. I don't believe there was ever any ill will since Andy allowed Don to come back sporadically.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2016 12:40 AM

Andy obviously didn't like continuing the show without Don. He was persuaded to continue for the sake of others involved. In the color episodes he completely changed character. He was cranky, humorless, obviously wasn't enjoying himself without his foil to through the fun to. They tried to engage other characters to replace Don, Jack Burns, Goober, Howard, Emmett variously, but it didn't work. He was ready to go by the time he paved the way for Mayberry RFD. I loved that show too, it was miles above those country bumpkin shows Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Hee Haw. It didn't deserve to be classed with them.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2016 12:51 AM

[quote]But two people who weren’t cowed by Andy were his lifelong buddy Don and Aneta Corsaut, who played Helen Crump, his girlfriend, on the sitcom.

"Lifelong buddy?" As it says later down the article, they didn't meet and become friends until 1955.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2016 12:57 AM

Their double dates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2016 1:37 AM

You mean Andy cheated on Millie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2016 1:40 AM

Andy cheated on Frances Bavier

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2018 9:48 AM

the thought of Don Knotts having sex is disturbing. I can't figure out if its because of the actual visual or because he was getting laid and I'm not

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2018 10:00 AM

I always found Andy kind of sexy. He had BDF and a nice ass. And I always thought that underneath the country bumpkin routine was an angry man who could throw a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2018 10:07 AM

Not only did Andy and Don lead very different lives off camera, Frances Bavier was known (and despised) by most all of the cast and crew on TAGS. She was a mean old bitch and let everyone know it. Howard Morris (who played Ernest T. Bass) directed several of the episodes. He related a story about one day on the set when he was doing blocking for a scene. Frances was already acting imperious as she usually did, and when he said "Frances I'm going to move you over here in this scene" she exploded. "I WILL NOT BE MOVED ANYWHERE - I AM NOT A PIECE OF FURNITURE!". He said it was that day he really wanted to punch the old bitch right in the face.

Frances pretty much got crazier and crazier as she aged. She eventually retired to Siler City, NC., not all that far from where Griffith had retired to. Some have said it was in the hopes that she and Andy Griffith would be able to live out the rest of their lives as close friends, since she didn't have many. She called Griffith one day and told him she was sorry they had never been better friends. He couldn't have cared less since she had pretty much alienated most everyone she ever knew.. When they tried to do a reunion show many years after the series was over she refused. Griffith and Ron Howard went to her house in an attempt to persuade her to do it and she refused to even let them in the house. When she died they found that one of her bedroom closets was being used as a cat box, covered in fecal matter.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2018 11:13 AM

Well, at least they never accused me of being a womanizer.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2018 5:46 PM

Yeah, Jim, but my dad caught you looking at his ass.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2018 6:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!