Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harper Valley PTA (the movie)

Harper Valley PTA is a 1978 comedy film inspired by the popular 1968 country song "Harper Valley PTA" written by Tom T. Hall and performed by Jeannie C. Riley. The film starred Barbara Eden, Nanette Fabray, Ronny Cox, Louis Nye and Susan Swift, directed by Richard Bennett, and was mainly released to drive-in theaters throughout the summer of 1978. The film has a cult following in fans of the original song.

The film's promotional tagline is: "The song was scandalous. The movie is hilarious!"

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2020 2:43 AM

Yes, and what of it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2016 10:26 PM

It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2016 10:27 PM

replacing Nanette with a Fannie was ludicrous, also they got rid of the pretty girl who played the girl and replaced her with a fatso.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2016 10:29 PM

Susan Swift, who also played the lead in the reincarnation thriller [italic]Audrey Rose,[/italic] grew up to become a crazy Tea Party wingnut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2016 10:31 PM

[quote]The film has a cult following...

...consisting of the OP.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2016 10:32 PM

It's on YouTube in its entirety (the movie, not the TV show).

Man, Susan Swift is Peak Tea Party -- anti-gay, convinced HRC is deathly ill, that Obama is a you-know-what... check her Twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2016 10:41 PM

The song was great and different. The movie was just cheap, amateurish trash with a B-list-at-best cast.

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2016 10:46 PM

I love this flick.

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2016 11:55 PM

The day my mama socked to the Harper Valley PTA.

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2016 11:10 AM

[quote] B-list-at-best cast.

I am not B-List, my niece is.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2016 2:10 PM

Susan Swift was, to put it nicely, not a great beauty. Part of the plot involved her getting her braces off and a makeover, after which the boys in school went crazy for her.

Unfortunately, she looked exactly the same except for bigger hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2016 6:00 PM

that ugly thing.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2016 9:33 PM

Nanette Fabray stole every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2020 2:39 AM

They made a movie about the PTA?

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2020 2:41 AM

The movie is actually one of the better comedies from the period. It holds up better than a lot of them.

Sorry to see the girl grew up to be such a loser...

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2020 2:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!