Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Heather O'Rourke

The little girl from Poltergeist who died of bowel obstruction at age 12. Anyone know her or hear any weird stuff about her family etc ?

by Anonymousreply 105January 7, 2020 5:36 PM

She died of a heart attack caused by septic shock brought on by congenital stenosis of the intestine. She was misdiagnosed by the hospital and the parents later sued but settled out of court.

It was covered up at the time, but the ending of Poltergeist 3 was reshot after she died and they had to reduce how much Carol Anne appeared in it. The final shot where she has her face turned away from the camera is a body double.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2016 2:08 AM

She is buried in the same wall as Marilyn Monroe in Westwood. Around the corner. Steps away from Natalie Wood.

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2016 2:11 AM

Up from Truman Capote

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2016 2:13 AM

r1, she looked really scary sick in the 3rd movie. I attributed it at the time to her role in film, but it was obvious she was sick. so pale so bloated She is above Capote

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2016 2:14 AM

She was such a cute little girl. I remember her from HAPPY DAYS as well. I think she was Fonzie's girlfriend's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2016 2:21 AM

I still believe that movie and its sequels were cursed

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2016 2:24 AM

R6 why?

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2016 2:25 AM

Because Craig T Nelson is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2016 2:27 AM

I love r3. Because you have been there as have I.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2016 2:30 AM

R7, besides Heather O'Rourke, the actress who played the older sister, Dominique Dunne, was murdered by her boyfriend shortly after release of the original.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2016 2:30 AM

R7 popular "theory" on why the movie is cursed is because they were disrespectful to the dead when filming. In the scene where JoBeth Williams is in the pool and the skeletons start popping up out of their graves, the crew used actual human skeletons. JoBeth Williams wasn't made aware of this until after filming. According to stories about this, real skeletons were cheaper than fake ones.

And about Heather O'Rourke there are stories about security guards at the Paramount lot, they swear they've seen her ghost haunting the place.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2016 2:34 AM

Dominique Dunne is also in the same cemetery

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2016 2:41 AM

Yes, as is Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett among others

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2016 2:44 AM

MJ is across town in Glendale, but, yes, poor Farrah is there

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2016 2:46 AM

It's not a peaceful cemetery

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2016 2:48 AM

It's not, but it is one of the few that is not haunted.

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2016 2:51 AM

And so overpriced

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2016 2:53 AM

All the famous burials:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2016 2:55 AM

Bernie won Michigan! He's killing Hillary!

by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2016 2:56 AM

She was on steroids for a kidney condition during most of Poltergeist 3's filming.

would she haunt the Paramount lot when she died in a hospital?

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2016 2:57 AM

Don't forget about me!!! Julian Beck aged 60!!!!!!!!!!!!! (looks 90--died shortly after filming--and yes I know it was cancer)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2016 2:57 AM

*Why would she haunt...

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2016 2:59 AM

[quote]would she haunt the Paramount lot when she died in a hospital?

Ghosts don't necessarily just haunt the place they died in (if you believe in hauntings).

Stage 19 at Paramount, where she supposedly haunts, is where Happy Days was filmed.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2016 3:00 AM

[quote]She was on steroids for a kidney condition during most of Poltergeist 3's filming.

Not quite, R20. Her doctors misdiagnosed her intestinal stenosis as Crohn's Disease (similar symptoms to Irritable Bowel Disease) for months and treated her with Prednisone, which is what caused her bloated appearance in Poltergeist III.

By the time the doctors realized their mistake, sepsis had set in, which in turn led to cardiac arrest.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2016 4:02 AM

I remember her mom being interviewed on the E! True Hollywood Story or something and she looked kind of trailer park trashy, though she seems genuinely devastated by Heather's death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2016 8:26 AM

[quote]I remember her from HAPPY DAYS as well. I think she was Fonzie's girlfriend's daughter.

Oh, yes. Back during the days when they threw nearly [bold]everything[/bold] against those sets while hoping that something would stick.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2016 9:19 AM

Heather cherished her time on Happy Days!!! Makes sense her spirit hangs out

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2016 12:07 AM

She goes to Paramount because Frank Zappa is buried nearby

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2016 12:23 AM

Thank you for clarifying, r24.

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2016 6:24 PM

Heather apparently LOVED her stint on Happy Days. Her spirit may hang there because she misses it. I have heard the rumor for yrs from many people

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2016 10:45 PM

She comes back hoping for one last glimpse of Anson Williams singing to don most in the shower

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2016 10:47 PM

I was rewatching the Poltergeist films recently, and wondered what in the hell had happened to her face in Part III—her cheeks were terribly bloated, while the rest of her body looked normal. According to an article referenced in her Wikipedia page, she was very (unsurprisingly) self-conscious about it, which was heartbreaking to read. She was an adorable and talented girl, and she surely didn't deserve what happened to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 2, 2020 4:13 AM

used to be you could google her name and steven speilberg and rumors.....and all sorts of scandalous affairs were mentioned...her insides were wrecked....

poor darling

by Anonymousreply 33January 2, 2020 4:24 AM

My dad’s 1970s NYC public high school science classroom had a real skeleton hanging in a special closet next to the blackboard. I imagine they were pretty common. Freaked me out as a kid though. All those folks that donate their bodies To science gotta end up somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 34January 2, 2020 4:26 AM

R33 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2020 4:31 AM

[quote]used to be you could google her name and steven speilberg and rumors.....and all sorts of scandalous affairs were mentioned...her insides were wrecked....

Christ, I really, really don't want to believe this. The thought sickens me for so many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2020 5:13 AM

Because it’s more fun to believe that, r7.

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2020 5:18 AM

Find a Death’s write-up on Heather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2020 5:26 AM

Those rumors are still around online, R33. Heather's sister denounced them several years ago. In this interview, the interviewer cites a comment Henry Winkler made about O'Rourke where he said she was abused by her father, but he was incorrectly referring to Judith Barsi, a child actress who was in fact murdered by her own father. I have no idea why he would make this error considering he knew O'Rourke and worked with her on Happy Days.

I do find the circumstances of her death odd, especially as she apparently didn't really exhibit symptoms of the intestinal stenosis throughout her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2020 5:43 AM

R32 I suppose I should have clarified that the facial swelling Heather had was due to cortisone injections she was receiving to treat misdiagnosed Chron's disease at the time. Extremely sad

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2020 5:45 AM

Find a Death's writeup on her at R38 is a bit crass. The author comments that they "don’t know how pretty of an adult she would have made"—ostensibly referring to her puffed face, which significantly altered her appearance—without ever having done the research to know that the reason she looked like that was because she was on steroid injections for a medical problem she didn't actually have.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2020 5:48 AM

[quote]"don’t know how pretty of an adult she would have made"

What a fucking douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 42January 2, 2020 5:49 AM

I hope her intestinal problems were not from rape or messing around, whether on the set or at home, so very sad. gosh she was georgous.

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2020 4:11 AM

If it is true, no wonder she haunts the studio lot. I hope the pedo ring is the #metoo of 2020. These sick fucks need to be exposed, humiliated and then suffer their own bowel obstructions violently in prison.

by Anonymousreply 44January 3, 2020 12:54 PM

Stop bumping threads

by Anonymousreply 45January 3, 2020 1:04 PM

How about you go fuck yourself, R45?

by Anonymousreply 46January 3, 2020 6:12 PM

A few years after her death, I did a lot of research about her health problems to see if they could be replicated, but to no avail.

by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2020 6:43 PM

Any relation to PJ?

by Anonymousreply 48January 3, 2020 7:10 PM

To show there were no hard feelings, Disney hired her for this syndicated TV special less than a year after [italic]Poltergeist[/italic] trounced [italic]TRON[/italic] at the box office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2020 7:36 PM

I think she also played the starchild (half human, half alien) on the popular miniseries, V the Final Battle.

by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2020 7:39 PM

She did a [italic]Webster[/italic] guest appearance since its first season overlapped with [italic]Happy Days[/italic]’ last.

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2020 7:44 PM

And one of the Guidice girls played her twin, R50:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2020 7:45 PM

Only a portion of Capote's ashes are there. Joanne Carson owned the remainder and they were auctioned off with her belongings when she died, along with the clothes Truman died in that she had kept! So someone bought his cremains.

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2020 7:53 PM

This is what happened to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2020 8:02 PM

My sense is that nowadays what with there being so much more awareness about the pedophile rings operating in Hollywood, plus social media, there would be a lot more questions about the circumstances of Heather O’Rourke’s death.

by Anonymousreply 55January 3, 2020 8:03 PM

Cue Poo Shoes and Pizzagate 🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 56January 3, 2020 9:03 PM

how come speilberg made so many movies bak then bout/involving young and very young kids.....there was a lot of chatter...

by Anonymousreply 57January 4, 2020 9:13 AM

How did her insides get so messed up and infected? was she raped a lot?

god bless you dear heather. some day ur rapists will be outed...

by Anonymousreply 58January 4, 2020 10:01 AM

[quote]I think she also played the starchild (half human, half alien) on the popular miniseries, V the Final Battle.

That was actually Jenny Beck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 4, 2020 10:34 AM

Jingle Bell Rock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 4, 2020 10:37 AM

god h wood was a monstrous mess back then of peddys….

by Anonymousreply 61January 4, 2020 10:45 AM

Praetaynama

by Anonymousreply 62January 4, 2020 12:49 PM

For an 11-year-old, she was very well-spoken at the end of R60's video. She seemed like a sweet, intelligent kid. It's terrible she died so young. I wonder if she'd have continued acting as an adult had she lived.

by Anonymousreply 63January 4, 2020 2:55 PM

Heather O'Rourke was YET another AIDS cover up. She was molested and got the AIDS. Thus the big cover up and the number of infections and the rapid onset and inability to cure it. It was right was AIDS was at its most quick and deadly too.

by Anonymousreply 64January 4, 2020 2:59 PM

She's dead? She signed a pic for me at a Chicago horror con in 2015. For 25 bucks. Dang.

by Anonymousreply 65January 4, 2020 3:07 PM

Yes, only a Pizzagate conspiracist could possibly think that there are pedophile rings operating in Hollywood. /eye roll/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 4, 2020 4:31 PM

Watching Part 3 now.

Why is everything so icy?

by Anonymousreply 67January 4, 2020 7:40 PM

R66 is Poo herself.

by Anonymousreply 68January 4, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote] I wonder if she'd have continued acting as an adult had she lived.

Not sure if she would have acted as an adult, but definitely would have worked more as a teen. If she were alive today, she would probably be a fixture at all those horror/sci fi conventions.

by Anonymousreply 69January 4, 2020 8:09 PM

Part 3 is pretty fun. Everyone HATES Carol Ann!

Her aunt.

Her classmates.

Her doctor.

Even the little girl who carpools with her.

It is campy bloated fun!

by Anonymousreply 70January 4, 2020 8:47 PM

R68 I have no idea what you’re talking about. ‘Poo shoes’? Shoes made of poo??

by Anonymousreply 71January 4, 2020 9:21 PM

Carol Anne was not Arbuckled!!!

by Anonymousreply 72January 4, 2020 9:31 PM

According to CDAN the real story is the worst thing you will ever read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 4, 2020 9:36 PM

Yes, R73, we know.

by Anonymousreply 74January 5, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote] Part 3 is pretty fun. Everyone HATES Carol Ann! Her aunt. Her classmates. Her doctor. Even the little girl who carpools with her.

Not to mention Craig T Nelson and Jobeth Williams who fucking abandoned her!!!

by Anonymousreply 75January 5, 2020 1:06 AM

Poltergeist 3 wasn't a good Poltergeist film, but still a fun film nonetheless. Loved the setting. That piano theme that plays over the end credits is a nice tribute to Carol Ann/Heather.

by Anonymousreply 76January 5, 2020 1:47 AM

I read awhile back that 3's director (and everyone else involved) knew the film was crap but that Heather was incredibly sweet and dedicated to making it a success.

Director said she was always checking on him making sure things were going well even when she was severely ill.

by Anonymousreply 77January 5, 2020 12:39 PM

Consider the source, but this is what's out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 5, 2020 12:48 PM

Heather O'Rourke was not passed around by a pedo ring FFS. Poo and a few others are obsessed with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 79January 5, 2020 6:17 PM

Any relation to Beto?

by Anonymousreply 80January 5, 2020 8:12 PM

Younger sister, R80.

by Anonymousreply 81January 5, 2020 8:22 PM

Remember when Amy Irving got so much $$$ for Spielberg. Wonder why....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 5, 2020 9:32 PM
by Anonymousreply 83January 5, 2020 9:39 PM

Crispin Glover has a his view...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 5, 2020 9:41 PM

Cry for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 5, 2020 9:56 PM

Poo, poo, poo, poo on my shoe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 5, 2020 10:07 PM

Crispin Glover has always been one sandwich short of a picnic.

by Anonymousreply 87January 5, 2020 10:51 PM

Poltergeist 3 would have worked better as a non-Poltergeist movie.

by Anonymousreply 88January 5, 2020 10:52 PM

R88 Yes, it directly contradicts the mythos set up in the earlier movies, but as a standalone film, it's just fine.

by Anonymousreply 89January 6, 2020 8:33 PM

I was watching Poltergeist II yesterday, and there's a scene in the film between Carol Ann and her grandmother where she says she "doesn't want to grow up" because it "doesn't seem like much fun." It was a rather chilling line in retrospect given that O'Rourke herself was dead about a year later.

by Anonymousreply 90January 7, 2020 1:20 AM

I love Poltergeist III. It's like a yuppie horror film. The Trump Tower-like setting. Some cool visuals (ie. the mirrors). Nancy Allen as the bitch aunt. I love it.

But I still laugh how many times each character says "CAROL ANNE!" I swear, if you took a swig every time someone says her name, you'd be drunk by the end of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 91January 7, 2020 1:43 AM

The sick stories about her are horrible. I believe she had a medical condition. I don't think any person or child could do an acting job after allegedly going through something that horrific, unless they were roofied and didn't know about it.

That girl from All Dogs Go To Heaven was murdered by her own father.

by Anonymousreply 92January 7, 2020 1:58 AM

There was a thread on Lipstick Alley which had some pretty disturbing allegations. I don't know if any of them are true because sometimes those posts on LA are like bad fan fiction.

But with all the horrible stories that have come out of Hollywood the past few years, it does made one wonder. And while #metoo has exposed a lot, there is still a lot to uncover about child stars.

by Anonymousreply 93January 7, 2020 2:10 AM

Heather, Heather, Heather! Always a focus on the child.

I mean, really. Won't anyone give a thought to the parents?

by Anonymousreply 94January 7, 2020 2:13 AM

As silly and fantastical as the Poltergeist movies were, Heather actually proved herself a good actress. Her more serious scenes with Julian Beck in the second film were great, and she also delivered a couple of comedic lines that were fantastic--when the family is holed up in a 24-hour diner after having a poltergeist attack, the son asks Craig T. Nelson if they have to move again, to which he replies "I don't know, I have to think about it." Carol Anne then asks if they can move to Disneyland; when her brother makes fun of her, she reconsiders with "Okay, how about Dunkin' Donuts?" O'Rourke's delivery of those lines never ceases to have me laughing out loud.

by Anonymousreply 95January 7, 2020 2:14 AM

[quote]But I still laugh how many times each character says "CAROL ANNE!" I swear, if you took a swig every time someone says her name, you'd be drunk by the end of the movie.

Take a double shot everytime Tangina calls her "KALE ANN!"

by Anonymousreply 96January 7, 2020 2:17 AM

The acting in the Poltergeist movies (particularly the first two) is very strong. JoBeth Williams really deserved an Oscar nomination for the first film. She was excellent. And Heather was good in all of them.

by Anonymousreply 97January 7, 2020 2:18 AM

I like in part 2 when Craig T. vomits up the worm thing. For a split second, it looks like a huge dick and set of balls that he’s horking up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 7, 2020 2:22 AM

Lol R98 I've noticed that too. Right as he first coughs it up, it looks like balls coming out followed by the dick, but it only appears that way for a split second.

As an aside, Craig T. Nelson was actually pretty hot in Part II. You could tell from his shirtless scenes in Part I and Part II that he had lost weight between the two films--he was pudgier in the first one, but had noticeably slimmed down by the time they shot the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 99January 7, 2020 2:37 AM

20 minutes was removed from the running time of part 2 and has never seen the light of day.

by Anonymousreply 100January 7, 2020 2:39 AM

Did someone....call?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 7, 2020 3:26 AM

Tangina reminds me of an eldergay DLer.

by Anonymousreply 102January 7, 2020 3:28 AM

R99, I agree that he was hot in part 2.

by Anonymousreply 103January 7, 2020 6:29 AM

[quote]But I still laugh how many times each character says "CAROL ANNE!" I swear, if you took a swig every time someone says her name, you'd be [bold]dead[/bold] by the end of the movie.

Fixed it for you, r91.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 7, 2020 7:43 AM

^Lol

by Anonymousreply 105January 7, 2020 5:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!