Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bernadette Peters-does she have an eating disorder??

Whatever the case, she looks fantastic.

" I share a KIND bar sometimes with my assistant, and that's great because then you have half of the calories. I just boiled potatoes for my dog, so I just had a piece of a boiled potato, which I don't usually have — but it's a vegetable."

"I love tomato sauce, but I just try to stay away from it. If I really want that I’ll scramble egg whites and put tomato sauce on it and then put some cheese on it"

" I have one cup of coffee a day and I have three slices of grapefruit — three little smiles of grapefruit. Sometimes I have a little bit of oatmeal. And then I have some hemp powder. I put that in my tea, actually. I don't eat a big breakfast. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 11, 2018 3:01 AM

Who knows. It's easy to gain weight as you age, even if you eat right. Especially for women. That diet sounds dismal. You know there was no butter or anything on that sad half of a boiled potato.

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2016 1:34 PM

A lack of fat in the diet is bad for the brain. Enjoy that dementia, Bernadette!

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2016 1:38 PM

Damn! She'll be 70 soon. I thought she was in her 50s.

Can someone post a new thread asking about makeover tips? I want to look as good as BP when I'm 70. Yeah yeah, she probably had a facelift but it was a good one. And that's probably a wig, but still.

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2016 1:38 PM

She's a Sicilian girl. If she ate more than a 100 grams of carbs a day she would have a butt the size of Rhode Island. She is controlling her genetic tendencies with her OCDish type of behavior. Otherwise she would look like a barrel with legs.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2016 1:55 PM

Who cares about HER

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2016 2:00 PM

[quote]Whatever the case, she looks fantastic.

I will confirm this. I run into her on the street all the time. The first time I saw her (about a year ago) I was shocked because she literally looked like she was in her 30s.

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2016 2:07 PM

OK, someone please start that beauty tips thread. What do we think she does to maintain? I bet she doesn't to chemical peels or fillers.

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2016 2:11 PM

r6

Even I'm not that big of a liar

by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2016 2:11 PM

She also does, and has done for decades, facial muscle exercises. I am not saying that she hasn't had work done, but she works at keeping her facial muscles in shape and not sagging.

by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2016 2:12 PM

Good to know r9! I have a book on that and some DVDs. I'll get cracking. I recently got into cold showers so I'm well on my way to looking good for 70, from a distance.

by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2016 2:24 PM

She looks fantastic in Mozart in the Jungle and her character is one of the highlights of the show (even though clearly the series belongs to Gael García Bernal). Her comedic timing, along with Malcolm McDowell's, is as sharp as ever.

by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2016 2:37 PM

It wasn't even half a boiled potato, R1, just a piece of boiled potato! Dire.

She looks terrific and I don't think you can look that good without getting some of the good fats in your diet, so I'd bet she eats more avocado and lean meat and such than she's letting on.

by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2016 2:46 PM

What celebrities say they do/eat is not what they do/eat.

by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2016 2:48 PM

She is saying what she eats and digests, what she eats and ipecac's back up, is another story.

by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2016 2:50 PM

And when no one is looking, it's Lay's Chips with sour cream and onion dip, Coca Cola, Hershey's chocolate bars, and a deep dish bacon wrapped pizza. I call it a "cocktail party."

by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2016 2:51 PM

SPOILER

She finally got to sing in "Mozart" and then hooked up with the sexy Russian guy.

by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2016 2:54 PM

Remember when they kept trying to make her a star in the 70s and they couldn't do it, so she crept back to Broadway. I mean that is like making a country album.

by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2016 2:56 PM

Patti Lupone eats and is in great shape. She's very curvy.

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2016 3:03 PM

From Wikipedia:

[quote] Over the course of a career that has spanned five decades, ...having received nominations for seven Tony Awards, winning two

LOL Only TWO>>>>>

That isn't even one for every decade...LOL

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2016 3:03 PM

[R19] - How many have you won?

by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2016 3:07 PM

I liked her in The Jerk doing that ukulele song. Her looks have hardly changed. My mom is eight years younger than her, but has looked 70 since she was 39. Seriously, in high school, a classmate saw me with her and thought asked me about my grandma. My mom was in her early forties.

My mom drank and smoke heavily since she was a teen. Plus she had three kids back to back. She settled into being a nighttime drunk in her forties. Was drop dead gorgeous but never exercised. Never developed habits to maintain her looks.

Was Penny Marshall a drinker? I know she smokes. Is apparent aging mostly about sun exposure, whether or not one smoked and drank, had to take medication long term, or had a major illness?

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2016 3:07 PM

If I was an actor for five decades in BROADWAY, I would've won more than two.

Even Boyd Gaines that horrible actor on One Day At A Time, managed to win more than two. Which just proves anyone can win anything on Broadway. It's where failed actors go to rest, like country music is where failed singers who can't make it in Pop and R&B go.

by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2016 3:09 PM

[quote]Her looks have hardly changed

Look again and this time put your glasses on.

by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2016 3:10 PM

Wow, someone is really obsessed with Bernadette.

by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2016 3:11 PM

[R22] I have no doubt you would have won at least a dozen.

by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2016 3:27 PM

[quote]If I was an actor for five decades in BROADWAY, I would've won more than two.

LOL. As if you'd even have been nominated, you miserable hack.

by Anonymousreply 26March 9, 2016 3:35 PM

Three sections of grapefruit? What does she do with the rest? And... tomato sauce and cheese on egg whites? Hemp powder in tea? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2016 3:38 PM

Absolute eating disorder And her face looks great because she had the total laser peel thing done

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2016 3:40 PM

She sounds fat.

by Anonymousreply 29March 9, 2016 3:42 PM

With a diet like that, what a horrible life she must have had

by Anonymousreply 30March 9, 2016 3:56 PM

If she had a real eating disorder, wouldn't she have died of heart failure by now?

by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2016 4:00 PM

r31 YES!

by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2016 4:10 PM

A babygay named Cole did the best impression of her for a "no to hate" psa.

by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2016 4:13 PM

Yeah that sounds like an eating disorder. "I try to stay away from tomato sauce?" It's tomatoes, honey. Not chocolate. Tomatoes are good for you. I can see avoiding canned and jarred sauces but real tomato sauce is 95% tomatoes with a little oil and some other vegetables. It's a full serving of vegetables and it's very healthy in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Half a Kind bar and a scrambled egg is not a balanced diet, btw.

My sister is like this. She thinks mushrooms are a carb. Technically they are but she avoids them like they're deep fried twinkies. She'll order a vegetable salad and ask to hold the mushrooms, carrots, peppers and cucumbers because "they're full of carbs." So she eats lettuce and baby tomatoes with two droplets of balsamic viniagrette and then only eats half. The whole time she'll talk about her next meal, which always seems to involve kale in some form. Tell me that's not an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 34March 9, 2016 4:14 PM

I read the interview and she sounds great. I've seen her in the neighborhood when we walk our respective dogs. She's beautiful, has that luminous skin. And TINY. I like that moue mouth of hers. She doesn't have that awful dead-eye, terrified look of someone who's had tons of plastic surgery. If she's had work done, her surgeon's one of the few to do a great job.

by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2016 4:16 PM

R34, that may be, but several thoughts on healthy eating say to avoid tomatoes. Nothing I have read makes any sense. It all seems to be based on the fact that Asians don't eat tomatoes and somehow Asian eating habits are the correct way to eat.

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2016 4:18 PM

[quote]If I was an actor for five decades in BROADWAY, I would've won more than two.

Really? Really??

Well, why didn't you? Why weren't you an actor on (not "in," dear) Broadway? For five decades no less? What exactly have you accomplished that entitles you to criticize the accomplishments of a two-time Tony award winner?

I'm genuinely curious. I would love to know exactly the sort of person who would post such a pompous and ludicrous statement in apparent earnest.

I would love a copy of your resume and a photo of your home, just to start, so we could all mercilessly mock the idiotic NOBODY who thinks his entirely theoretical but undoubtedly multiple (more than TWO) pretend-Tonys from a never-happened decades-long theatrical career is more brag-worthy than a real person in this universe who actually has TWO.

You, sir, are a jackass.

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2016 4:27 PM

r36 keep hearing about how it's best to avoid nightshades if one experiences any health problems. I did this and felt fantastic for a while. But I like tomatoes too much to do without.

by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2016 4:36 PM

Patty Lupone is fat.

by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2016 4:38 PM

Yeah but Bernadette isn't talking about avoiding tomatoes because nightshades make her feel unwell or she read that Asians have the healthiest diet. She's talking like she avoids tomato sauce because it will make her gain weight, which sounds a little cray cray even if it is true. If you gain weight from eating tomato sauce then your body is underweight to begin with. Eat some fucking sauce. It won't kill you.

If you're 70 and starving yourself to have the body of a 25 year old, that's an eating disorder. She might look great but she probably feels like shit.

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2016 4:42 PM

R34 your sister sounds like she has orthorexia nervosa, which is basically when you're obsessed with eating healthy and systematically avoid specific foods in the belief that they are harmful. Orthorexics are also constantly thinking about their upcoming meals, the next day's menu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2016 4:49 PM

I'm sad that for her a splurge is splitting a fucking KIND bar with your assistant.

I'm not poking fun at her, btw. I see her around the city pretty often and have met her socially several times, she's a nice woman and honestly does look amazing. Beautiful figure, beautiful skin. Whatever she's doing, it's working. Me? I'll settle for looking less than perfect; I think I'd prefer the Patti Lupone diet, which I would assume would be a raw T-bone, a cigar and a shot of Jack.

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2016 4:49 PM

I think fitness freaks advise not to eat tomato sauce or other prepared foods because of the added sugar. They have a point. The German exchange student to my high school arrive a beanpole and left a blimp. She ate whatever fatty foods and breads she wanted in Germany, but she said it was the unreal amount of sugar in dressings, ketchup, even cheese. She could taste it.

I'm trying to avoid hidden salt bit it's in everything in the U.S. I imagine sugar is much the same. But BP's diet does sound depressing.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2016 4:50 PM

She needs a Psychiatric Diet.

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2016 4:52 PM

R20 Audra McDonald won a record-breaking 6 Tonys in just 20 years' time, all by age 43: CAROUSEL (1994), MASTER CLASS (1996), RAGTIME (1998), A RAISIN IN THE SUN (2004), PORGY AND BESS (2012), LADY DAY AT THE EMERSON BAR & GRILL (2014).

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2016 4:52 PM

[R45] - Well, so did.....oh, that's right- nobody. So listen up everybody. If you don't have Audra's career/awards, you're a no-talent hack and should just roll up and die.

by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2016 5:04 PM

[R45] - That's only because Audra eats tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 47March 9, 2016 5:08 PM

I don't understand your negativity. What I wouldn't give for those healthy three square meals every day!

by Anonymousreply 48March 9, 2016 5:12 PM

Boyd Gaines is not a horrible actor. WTH?

by Anonymousreply 49March 9, 2016 5:14 PM

KIND bars taste like shit. The only good health bars I've ever had were Clif bars.

by Anonymousreply 50March 9, 2016 5:36 PM

If you read the article, she defined that as her breakfast and said she subsists on sashimi.

by Anonymousreply 51March 9, 2016 5:45 PM

[R51] - No Bernadette, no! Think of Jeremy Piven for chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 52March 9, 2016 5:59 PM

This is the fattest thread I've ever read.

by Anonymousreply 53March 9, 2016 6:00 PM

The interview was edited and probably killed the context. I'll bet that Mrs. Lazarra Wittenberg equates tomato sauce with pasta. She eats it, just not in the traditional Sicilian way...

by Anonymousreply 54March 9, 2016 6:08 PM

She does know Breyer's now makes a low-carb ice cream, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 55March 9, 2016 6:12 PM

She has to avoid those foods that make her look like a short,stubby Sicilian grandma. Carbs are off limit for the most part. The sugar/high fructose component in the US diet is frightening. Americans love that sweetness. Married with her Sicilian background, Peters should be 300 pounds if she ate like a normal person right now. She has maintained her beauty and her figure by avoiding everything that could make her fat.

by Anonymousreply 56March 9, 2016 6:16 PM

[quote]She has to avoid those foods that make her look like a short,stubby Sicilian grandma.

But for how much longer? At some point it will start to pay to look her age.

by Anonymousreply 57March 9, 2016 6:20 PM

I also survived on Kind bars back in my frighteningly hungry days.

by Anonymousreply 58March 9, 2016 6:34 PM

She's stunningly gorgeous. If she's had work done, I want the name and number of her surgeon, because it's a masterpiece. I read somewhere they she always wears hats and even travels in planes wearing them. Guess it's true, kids - sun will age you faster than anything.

by Anonymousreply 59March 9, 2016 6:44 PM

She has made a point in "beauty regimen celebrity survey" interviews of saying that she never goes in the sun. In certain on-camera work (like a Law and Order she did a few years ago as a judge - clips were on YouTube, and the Downton Abbey fan thing she hosted on PBS a season or two ago) her face looked pinched enough to suggest that she had just had a facelift, but in other recent appearances, she looks radiantly youthful with no signs of surgery. I'll let the plastic queens debate that one.

by Anonymousreply 60March 9, 2016 6:48 PM

On [italic]The Carol Burnett Show,[/italic] she had a schtick where she would cry a little while singing her featured musical number (which was usually something torchy and dramatic). My mom said it was the corniest thing she'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 61March 9, 2016 6:55 PM

R57 She probably can get any younger lover,male or female,she wants. She'll try to play Doriana Gray for as long as she can. Unlike Susan Saradon,who looks like an old Sicilian biddy, Ms Peters look great.

by Anonymousreply 62March 9, 2016 6:57 PM

R61 She'd sing "Ten Cents a Dance" and then start crying.

I saw her do it on the old Merv Griffin Show when it was broadcast from NYC. I was only a kid but I remember thinking how ridiculous it was.

She studied acting with David LeGrant...Barbara Cook's husband. Her really took her under his wing and I believe that act was his idea.

by Anonymousreply 63March 9, 2016 7:03 PM

[quote] If I was an actor for five decades in BROADWAY, I would've won more than two. -- reply 22

I had no idea that we had Lady Catherine de Bourgh posting on the Datalounge.

If you had ever learnt, you should have been a great proficient, R22.

by Anonymousreply 64March 9, 2016 7:34 PM

Yes, OP, she obviously has an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 65March 9, 2016 7:35 PM

Bernadette sings the theme from Golden Girls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 9, 2016 7:37 PM

I think that clip predates GG by a few years, R66.

by Anonymousreply 67March 9, 2016 7:39 PM

She's very short and menopausal. She can't eat more than 1300-1500 kcal a day or shed gain weight.

by Anonymousreply 68March 9, 2016 8:00 PM

R22 is a troll. I blocked him in another thread and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 69March 9, 2016 8:14 PM

Oldie thread

by Anonymousreply 70March 9, 2016 8:33 PM

I like Bernadette a lot. On stage she is a great talent and she is a fine comedian as well. But this interview does make her sound desperate and shallow and a bit silly for a 70 year old. She is high maintenance for sure and would have happily remained in L.A forever if that would have worked out better for her. Desperate to remain youthful above all else. Likes animals better than people, food, wine or sex. She will still meet the implacable wall of age, so she might as well eat something more than 3 slices of grapefruit. Nice to hear that she takes voice lessons still, because no matter how good the bitch looks, she unfortunately can no longer sing.

by Anonymousreply 71March 9, 2016 8:48 PM

Hard as Liza Minnelli tried, she never could do this. Bernadette is a unique talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 9, 2016 9:01 PM

In the full interview, she talks about how her family eats a lot of pasta, but she tries to stay away from it, except for special occasions. The whole tomato sauce thing was in reference to pasta that she tries not to eat, so instead she puts some tomato sauce on scrambled egg whites and puts a bit of cheese on top. She's not afraid of tomato sauce, she's afraid of pasta.

"Three smiles of grapefruit" is pretty much an eating disorder contained within a single phrase.

by Anonymousreply 73March 9, 2016 9:03 PM

You can never be to rich or too thin. I applaud you.

by Anonymousreply 74March 9, 2016 10:07 PM

Who says "smiles of grapefruit." Sounds more like a smirk !

by Anonymousreply 75March 9, 2016 10:08 PM

Yes, you can be too thin.

by Anonymousreply 76March 9, 2016 10:41 PM

R61/R63 I hate her rendition of "All That Jazz" here. She's trying to be sexy, but she sounds like a petulant child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 9, 2016 10:52 PM

R61, Andrea Martin did a hilarious send-up of Peters' crying shtick on SCTV's Farm Film Celebrity Blow-Up. She blows up real good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 10, 2016 12:43 AM

She's got a voice reminiscent of a very young Shirley Temple, with a twist of Cyndi Lauper.

by Anonymousreply 79March 10, 2016 12:43 AM

I've actually been to several parties where she was in attendance over the last year. Yes, she still looks very good but in person her skin has the fine lines and wrinkles that we all get, especially under her eyes. She claims that she never, ever, goes out in the sun without wearing sunblock and full physical coverage such as a hood or cloak. Her voice is still out of this world. She sang "Unexpected Song" with nothing but a piano accompaniment and it was transfixing.

by Anonymousreply 80March 10, 2016 12:51 AM

Agreed, R80. She's really took good care of her voice over the years.

by Anonymousreply 81March 10, 2016 1:06 AM

Is Sam Page her son?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 10, 2016 2:25 AM

Christina Bianco does a wicked Bernadette and a lot of other great vocal impersonations. "See Me on a Monday, Please" is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 10, 2016 3:31 AM

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Parody may not be quite the same but oh well... If she weren't an interesting and unique talent they'd have nothing to wrap their humor around.

Bernadette Peters is very good at what she does and she did the right thing going back to Broadway when Hollywood fizzled out for her. I've seen her in a few things and always enjoyed her performance. Do our Theater Queens have any good stories about Bernadette?

by Anonymousreply 84March 10, 2016 3:40 AM

r83 Is that Gerard A's lyric from Forbidden Bway? FANTASTIC!

by Anonymousreply 85March 10, 2016 3:53 AM

Does Bernadette.... FEEL THE BERN more than people without "Bern" in their own names?

Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 86March 10, 2016 4:00 AM

I'm Sicilian too and I can eat what ever I want!

by Anonymousreply 87March 10, 2016 4:10 PM

Her dumps smell like burnt plastic and wax fruit. Jerry Hermann told me she doesn't even chew the food - and she had the stomach acid neutralized so nothing gets into her system to add "toxins" - like a fucking protein molecule is a toxin. Anyway, if she's really such a stickler why is her ass so big? Not a problem I ever had. Still fashionably boylike in the rump section here. Tommy Tune once mistook me for chicken from behind. Faggot.

by Anonymousreply 88March 10, 2016 4:56 PM

She's an odd performer. There are times when I adore her and other times when I can't stand her. Loved her Witch in Into the Woods, but hated her Rose in Gypsy and found her Sally in Follies to be bizarre. She has a strange William Shatner-esque way around a line reading sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 89March 10, 2016 6:21 PM

That's true r89.

by Anonymousreply 90March 10, 2016 6:33 PM

She needs a wig

by Anonymousreply 91March 10, 2016 6:45 PM

For those who say they see her walking her dog.....is she always wearing a hood or a cloak?

by Anonymousreply 92March 10, 2016 8:10 PM

Her acting abilities are very Shirley Temple circa 1935.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 10, 2016 8:13 PM

She must make small, well formed poops!

by Anonymousreply 94March 10, 2016 8:34 PM

[quote]Guess it's true, kids - sun will age you faster than anything.

Quoted for emphasis. You can do a lot of unhealthy things and get away with them, looks-wise, as long as you avoid the sun.

PS: Don't forget the backs of your hands - signed, my telltale age spots

by Anonymousreply 95March 10, 2016 9:08 PM

no she doesn't but he does

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 10, 2016 10:01 PM

I find that GIF sexy R96. It doesn't belong here though. What a dick you are.

by Anonymousreply 97March 10, 2016 10:06 PM

Her quirky delivery that R89 mentions is used to great effect on Mozart in the Jungle. Her performance reminded me that she would've been a great comedic actress in a screwball comedy if she was a Hollywood actresses from the 30s/40s.

by Anonymousreply 98March 10, 2016 10:55 PM

Does she still go flat on the high note in Unexpected Song?

by Anonymousreply 99March 10, 2016 11:20 PM

Maybe it's vegetables and a positive outlook?

by Anonymousreply 100March 10, 2016 11:58 PM

Maybe it's bio identical hormones?

by Anonymousreply 101March 10, 2016 11:59 PM

Maybe it's ice water presses and vodka?

by Anonymousreply 102March 10, 2016 11:59 PM

I have seen her walking her dog. She looks fantastic and not anoxeric. She looks young without a ton of fillers.

by Anonymousreply 103March 11, 2016 12:13 AM

She FABulous on Mozart in the Jungle...a Must on Amazon...superb series!

by Anonymousreply 104March 11, 2016 12:16 AM

Talk about pasta sauces--- Rao's Arribbiata Pasta sauce is delicious. $7.99 a jar at most stores. It doesn't keep for long in the fridge because it doesn't have preservatives.

The eggplant sauce was good too but I prefer the Arribbiata.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 11, 2016 12:27 AM

Is the "assistant" she mentions the one who is rumored to be her gf?

by Anonymousreply 106March 11, 2016 12:45 AM

I've always heard that Bernadette was involved with some cult in the '70s. It wasn't EST or Landmark -- something much stranger. She had meetings at her apartment where the group leader held court.

by Anonymousreply 107March 11, 2016 12:59 AM

I just saw her at the movies a few months ago (Joy), and she looked normal weight, healthy and vibrant, so I'm not sure about this.

by Anonymousreply 108March 11, 2016 1:33 AM

[R107] Yes, it was this weird cult where they'd gather and give money for plastic storage dishes with burpable lids.

by Anonymousreply 109March 11, 2016 1:37 AM

Boyd Gaines won every one of his Tonys honestly. He deserved all of them.

Audra, on the other hand...that's a bizarre fluke. It's like the voters got to a point where they just saw her name and ticked the box rather than putting any work/thought into it.

by Anonymousreply 110March 11, 2016 1:38 AM

Both my mom and my aunt who is NOT related by blood (aged 54 and 55) are like little twigs, and they eat. Both exercise a bit---my mom used to exercise heavily, and was a triathlete in her 20's and 30's. They still have very feminine shapes, and look pretty young---around early 40's.

My mom also went through menopause when she was 44, with no hormones. Crazy lady...

by Anonymousreply 111March 11, 2016 1:40 AM

[quote]Boyd Gaines won every one of his Tonys honestly. He deserved all of them.

He didn't win every one. He lost for JOURNEY'S END to Frank Langella in FROST/NIXON. I think his win the following year for GYPSY was a makeup award.

by Anonymousreply 112March 11, 2016 1:44 AM

Is she allergic to tomatoes? Because why would anyone need to stay away from tomato sauce? I don't get it. I love donuts, I stay away from them.

by Anonymousreply 113March 11, 2016 1:45 AM

Also---my mom and her brothers go out in the sun, my aunt doesn't, and my aunt's skin looks worse. My mom's family is a mix of Slav, and everyone yellow-ish skin that doesn't burn and gets very dark in the sun. My aunt is Irish-German.

Why does everyone assume that a lifetime of hiding from the sun will benefit you in the same way that it does them?

by Anonymousreply 114March 11, 2016 1:45 AM

[quote]Audra, on the other hand...that's a bizarre fluke. It's like the voters got to a point where they just saw her name and ticked the box rather than putting any work/thought into it.

It's truly amazing that she's been nominated 8 times and lost out only twice. Also, that she won four in a ten-year span (1994-2004), and the other two just two years apart (2012-2014).

by Anonymousreply 115March 11, 2016 1:48 AM

[quote]. Loved her Witch in Into the Woods, but hated her Rose in Gypsy and found her Sally in Follies to be bizarre. She has a strange William Shatner-esque way around a line reading sometimes.

Agreed. I think she is a lovely singer and charmng personality, but outside of playing a character just like herself, she is not a strong actress at all. Her Sally in "Follies" was bizarre and her "Losing My Mind" was like a kewpie doll on Haldol. It felt very "Forbidden Broadway" to me.

by Anonymousreply 116March 11, 2016 1:48 AM

Boyd Gaines won every one of the 4 Tonys he has honestly and deservedly. That's hard to understand, R112? He won ALL THE TONYS HE HAS.

Jeesh.

by Anonymousreply 117March 11, 2016 1:55 AM

In some fairness to Bernadette, she looks damn young and has never been thin as a twig. She has a tiny voluptuous body. So she is asked about her "secrets." If she had the sense of humor of some others, she would just say I stay out of the sun and starve myself. If she gave full disclosure she would add that she had some chemical peels, one facelift and very subtle botox and fillers. Genetics always play the most crucial role. But meditating, vegetarian, sun and carb avoiding people MUST believe in what they do, because it takes a concentrated effort that is more psychologically rewarding than pleasurable. Jane Fonda admits that her good looks are due to genetics and cosmetic work, good luck and starving. Bernadette doesn't have a full on eating disorder with that ASS, but she has a fucked up relationship with food and the elements. I don't find it admirable at all and I look good. She ain't hurting no one tho. Sophia Loren used to get the same questions, before she hit the wall and looked old. Lots more interesting things to ask BP about but she likes to talk about her obsessions.

by Anonymousreply 118March 11, 2016 2:10 AM

Strange-

Madonna did "Send In The Clowns" in concert last night and SUCKED!

I saw Bernadette do it on Broadway and she was amazing.

Love Bernadette.

by Anonymousreply 119March 11, 2016 2:44 AM

Boyd Gaines should have won a Tony Award for JOURNEY'S END. He was wonderful and the whole production was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 120March 11, 2016 2:49 AM

You guys, I just ate a whole Kind bar instead of half of one! I feel like a big fat pig now!!!!

by Anonymousreply 121March 11, 2016 11:59 PM

Only one smile of grapefruit for you tomorrow morning, Bernie! Next time, perhaps you'll show a little restraint.

by Anonymousreply 122March 12, 2016 12:05 AM

Omg I simply feel sick! I forgot my sun hat an a UV Ray may have touched my upper left cheekbone. I ate the Kind bar out of sheer panic!

by Anonymousreply 123March 12, 2016 12:16 AM

Forbes puts Bernadette's net worth at only 4 million dollars. WTF? How is it that someone like her--a true Broadway Diva--is only worth 4 mil while d list CW actors like Jared Padalecki are worth over twice that much! It's shameful. Even Patti LuPone is only at 4 million. Elaine Stritch though was at 20 million when she died.

by Anonymousreply 124March 12, 2016 3:37 AM

That's because Elaine Stritch didn't spend a penny of her own in all her 89 years.

by Anonymousreply 125March 12, 2016 3:39 AM

Gaines did not deserve his GYPSY Tony. It was a generic performance in a blah role. It should have gone for Daniel Breaker of PASSING STRANGE or Danny Burstein for SOUTH PACIFIC.

by Anonymousreply 126March 12, 2016 3:48 AM

What's wrong with a generic, blah Herbie?

by Anonymousreply 127March 12, 2016 4:12 AM

Chemical peels are age and damage the skin. It's laser, old fashioned microdermabrasion and or derma needling you want.

by Anonymousreply 128March 12, 2016 10:12 AM

R124 SUPERNATURAL has a large following and is currently on its 11th season (233 episodes) and just got renewed for a 12th. Padalecki and Ackles may not have an impressive filmography, but this show has made them millions and will continue to after it finally wraps up due to residuals. Simply being a Broadway diva is not gonna make you a multimillionaire.

by Anonymousreply 129March 12, 2016 5:06 PM

Streisand didn't get to own Malibu and the Mall by remaining on Broadway. It is unfair that many of the most talented actors and singers in the world don't accumulated the millions that Ice T has on SVU. But that's the love of the game, and of theatre. Even Audra McDonald did a shitty TV series. Make some coin when you can, then go back to what you love. Streisand loves nothing, not even singing. Bernadette is as big as star as the THEATRE has, along with Landsbury and LuPone and Audra. Plus she sings well enough to have have a very prestigious concert career. She did alright, she has made her mark. Have a sandwich girl.

by Anonymousreply 130March 12, 2016 5:18 PM

She's aged spectacularly, but I would kill myself if I had to eat that kind of diet.

by Anonymousreply 131March 12, 2016 5:21 PM

[quote]It is unfair that many of the most talented actors and singers in the world don't accumulated the millions that Ice T has on SVU.

Sometimes I cry myself to sleep tonight in the filthy puddle I sleep in over what millions Bernadette and Patti LuPone have been cheated out of!

by Anonymousreply 132March 12, 2016 5:22 PM

You know nothing of the hard work and continual dedication it takes to remain in the theatre world, even as a STAR R132. I wasn't comparing Peters to the tired old Darfur Orphan, but since Kim Kardashian is worth $80 million dollars, maybe she can help you.

Bernadette cares about the animals and doesn't eat any more than you dear orphan.

by Anonymousreply 133March 12, 2016 5:29 PM

She better be saving those pennies from heaven. It sounds like that's all she's earned.

by Anonymousreply 134March 12, 2016 5:42 PM

She has had a lot A LOT A LOTTA work. don't kid yourselves. She was looking especially tight and pulled about 8 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 135March 12, 2016 6:18 PM

Perhaps all she can afford to eat is a half a Kind bar and three grapefruit smiles a day! Poor Broadway star.

by Anonymousreply 136March 12, 2016 6:19 PM

Judy Garland recommended fasting, amphetamines and vodka to stay healthy, and she had a fabulous career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 12, 2016 6:24 PM

Speed was sold over-the-counter in the U.S. at least for decades until recently. Famous people would endorse it on prime time TV commercials. Whenever I see a pin-thin actress in a movie from the 70s or 80s, I wonder if they were taking rx or otc speed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 12, 2016 6:41 PM

R124 I'm in my second year at Tisch Drama at NYU and if I'm worth 4 mil when I'm Bernadette's age I'd be cool with that. It does seem unfair that someone of her magnitude falls financially behind other less talented performers. But if there's one profession in the world that isn't fair it's showbiz. One of my favorite professors always uses the success of those two guys on Supernatural to illustrate that success isn't always about true talent. I've never seen that show but I get the impression that their acting abilities leave a lot to be desired. He's always said that those two actors were in the right place at the right time with the right chemistry and the right show. Otherwise, they'd be flipping burgers or selling Allstate Insurance in some shitty Midwestern town.

Hopefully in 40 years DL will have threads about my eating disorder and how many Tonys I've won.

by Anonymousreply 139March 12, 2016 8:31 PM

[quote]One of my favorite professors always uses the success of those two guys on Supernatural to illustrate that success isn't always about true talent. I've never seen that show but I get the impression that their acting abilities leave a lot to be desired. He's always said that those two actors were in the right place at the right time with the right chemistry and the right show. Otherwise, they'd be flipping burgers or selling Allstate Insurance in some shitty Midwestern town.

Jansen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are from Texas.

by Anonymousreply 140March 12, 2016 8:45 PM

R139 your post is the reason why I don't understand the complaints that Liza Minnelli was too good a singer to be believable as Sally Bowles in the film version of CABARET. Yes, the original portrayal of Sally Bowles in isherwood's novel GOODBYE TO BERLIN, Van Druten's play I AM A CAMERA, and Kander & Ebb's musical CABARET is that of a mediocre singer with delusions of grandeur, but it's not unreasonable to suppose that Sally in the film could've been an extraordinary (but hapless) singer who couldn't catch a break. It happens all the time to talented artists of every persuasion.

by Anonymousreply 141March 12, 2016 8:55 PM

Christ, how is it that a perfectly good theater-related thread about Bernadette Peters gets infected by SPN tumbler fans? No one gives a shit about Supernatural or rethug Jensen Ackles or depressed Jared. The SPN fans on DL are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 142March 12, 2016 9:00 PM

It's time for Bernie to rid herself of the Fiji Island Frizz. There are many fine relaxers to chose from, as I did.

by Anonymousreply 143March 12, 2016 9:11 PM

Exactly R142. And I don't believe a professor at Tisch is using them as examples of anything. There are far better examples of untalented people who got rich and famous. Lets leave it be.

I had a professor at The Royal Conservatory who used to make us sing 'In the Ghetto', in first verse imitating Elvis Presley, second verse as Cher and the third verse as Joan Baez (falsetto for the non sopranos) It was an exercise in how timbre can be similar regardless of one's tessitura and vocal fach, and how to dismantle a song with too much vibrato. Now that was useful shit. I still do it occasionally at parties, though my Baez now sounds more like Tiny Tim.

by Anonymousreply 144March 12, 2016 9:13 PM

R22, since you're NOT an actor on Broadway. You should have said "If I were...."

by Anonymousreply 145March 12, 2016 9:15 PM

R142, I'm far from a Supernatural fan and I can assure you that my professor at Tisch isn't either. R144, the very real professor I mentioned used lots of examples; the Supernatural actors were only one. I brought them up only because they had been mentioned before. It wasn't my intention to irritate anyone or hijack the thread so my apologies there. Finally, your experience at the Royal Conservatory is fascinating and one of the reasons why I read DL. I hope to someday meet you at a party where I can hear your Baez/Tiny Tim.

by Anonymousreply 146March 12, 2016 9:30 PM

I am good at parties R146. Sometimes I play other venues too,,,. Good luck at Tisch and in your career.

by Anonymousreply 147March 12, 2016 9:51 PM

Hey dipshit NYU student, don't they teach not to knock art that you've NEVER SEEN? Maybe those 2 on Supernatural are good enough and yeah, counting their blessing. You wouldn't know. Never seen it. Whats your loser Prof's net worth.

by Anonymousreply 148March 12, 2016 10:08 PM

You did NOT just call Supernatural "art," R148. That's the most asinine thing I've heard in a while. Someone of your low intelligence doesn't belong on a Broadway thread. Go back to Tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 149March 12, 2016 10:25 PM

"He's always said that those two actors were in the right place at the right time with the right chemistry and the right show."

That's literally the recipe for success in showbiz no matter how talented or not talented the person. If Bernadette hadn't had all those things come together, she wouldn't be a star either. Same for Meryl Streep, Luciano Pavarotti, Roseanne Barr, EVERYONE.

by Anonymousreply 150March 12, 2016 10:25 PM

Now you understand why we can't have nice things here R146? Back to Bernadette. This was one of her sweetest concert songs, a J.D. Souther song. She utilizes all her vocal delicacy and lovely rich tones, that pretty head voice and trills with lots of vibrato around her unique vocal break. When it works, she's lovely. It works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 12, 2016 10:25 PM

Sweet Jesus, the Jensen Ackles-Jared Padalecki freaks have invaded a Bernadette thread. They are both hideously untalented hacks. Ackles is probably voting for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 152March 12, 2016 10:50 PM

R148 I didn't mention that show and those actors to defend it, but to point out the stupidity of a drama student dissing a performance she has NEVER SEEN. There is all sorts of art out there. If its selling successfully, than the performers have something. that is touching a chunk of the public.

by Anonymousreply 153March 12, 2016 10:58 PM

I'm sorry that I upset you, R153. My story was merely anecdotal; however, I don't think I personally "dissed" anyone. My professor certainly isn't a fan of that show and neither was anyone else in the class. In fact, the mere mention of it, its actors and its obvious bizarre fandom elicited a lot of groans and laughter from my fellow students. Even so, if a performance moves an audience member, no matter how untalented others might find that performer, it's certainly a good thing. And incidentally, I'm a he . . . not a she.

by Anonymousreply 154March 12, 2016 11:15 PM

Ok so we agree on your second to last sentence, which was my point.

If I were going into a competitive profession where most people fail to make a living, as you are, I wouldn't knock the ones who manage to make a very good living at it.

If its a crappy show with crappy actors, its not like its hurting good unemployed actors, who would have no interest or place in such a production.

by Anonymousreply 155March 12, 2016 11:45 PM

What an insufferable cunt you must be in real life, R155. The only reason anyone mentioned Jensen and Jared was to make the point that it's a shame that real talent doesn't always get rewarded. It's inconceivable to me that those two are worth more than someone like Bernadette Peters. And the point others were trying to make was that there are lots of actors in Hollywood who can act circles around Jensen and Jared who will never get the chance. Success in any field is a combination of luck and talent but in so many Hollywood instances I see situations where it's NOTHING but luck.

by Anonymousreply 156March 13, 2016 1:35 AM

On the contrary, Hollywood combines art and business. Losers call the winners "lucky" but the winners are producing product that's entertaining and making money. Its the money men and the public deciding who rises to the top. Not the losers in the game.

by Anonymousreply 157March 13, 2016 1:38 AM

Is BP a lesbo now? She is good friends with Saffron a lesbo from Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon

by Anonymousreply 158March 13, 2016 1:44 AM

[R157] That's why we end up with the Kartrashians.

by Anonymousreply 159March 13, 2016 2:10 AM

Loved Peters in "Song and Dance" "Into the Woods" though I was more of a LuPone Fan. Funny, now I def prefer Peters. "Unexpected Song" "Send in the Clowns" "Losing my Mind" were fine and well done. In person she does have those fine age lines, and surely she does starve herself. She is gorgeous. I do imagine she is high maintenance but apparently is liked by everyone that knows her. She has always been a leader in the Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS projects.

She does do a lot of concert tours, I wish she was worth more, but she seems to only do a Broadway show every 4 years or so. Surprised she only has 2 Tony's, she is deserving of more. I also think she is Bi, have no proof or evidence, but friends have 1st hand knowledge from Gay Soirees years past.

Closing night of "Little Night Music" was like Lesbian Date Night, Liz Smith, Cynthia McFadden, Holland Taylor and many other names since forgotten, but the shock lingers! LOL. Someone this "private" Inevitably is "private" about only one thing. Think early Whitney Houston.

I wish her much success, she works very hard at her craft, and is a very decent person. She is indeed a Broadway Legend.

by Anonymousreply 160March 13, 2016 2:22 AM

True, R159. It's also how we end up with actors and singers and other "entertainers" who have no discernible talent and yet are in our faces 24/7 and are millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 161March 13, 2016 3:02 AM

Would anyone like to split a 1/4 of a Kind bar?

by Anonymousreply 162March 13, 2016 3:21 AM

First, I'm going to say that I love Bernadette Peters and am happy to see her in "Mozart" and happy she got the chance to sing in the second season.

But to add on to the other discussion, I once read an article about the casting of "Friends" and how some of the roles were really up for grabs until the last minute. Imagine if you were the guy who was up against David Schwimmer for Ross, for instance, and watched him become a multimillionaire for being such a one-note performer, and you never quite made it yourself. I think there would be much gnashing of teeth.

by Anonymousreply 163March 14, 2016 5:52 PM

r92: Not always. Shades for sure though.

by Anonymousreply 164March 14, 2016 7:47 PM

No one gives a shot about that on this thread, r163. Go start your own Friends thread.

by Anonymousreply 165March 14, 2016 8:34 PM

Would anyone like to split 1/8th of a Kind bar. I overdid the grapefruit smiles.

by Anonymousreply 166March 14, 2016 9:11 PM

At least she's honest. I much prefer hearing her reality than these stars who wax on about how they love bread and sweets when you know they wouldn't go anywhere near a croissant.

by Anonymousreply 167March 14, 2016 10:10 PM

Oprah eats bread everyday!

by Anonymousreply 168March 14, 2016 10:21 PM

[quote]But to add on to the other discussion, I once read an article about the casting of "Friends" and how some of the roles were really up for grabs until the last minute. Imagine if you were the guy who was up against David Schwimmer for Ross, for instance, and watched him become a multimillionaire for being such a one-note performer, and you never quite made it yourself. I think there would be much gnashing of teeth.

R163 reminds me of the documentary MY BIG BREAK, which focused on roommates Wes Bentley, Chad Lindberg, Brad Rowe and Greg Fawcett, who were struggling actors. Anyway, in the film, Fawcett kept getting annoyed that his roommates achieved various levels of success, but he just couldn't catch a break. It was particularly frustrating for him, because he'd been popular back in high school and voted "the most likely to succeed," so he couldn't understand why he wasn't having any luck.

by Anonymousreply 169March 14, 2016 10:38 PM

[quote]Audra, on the other hand...that's a bizarre fluke. It's like the voters got to a point where they just saw her name and ticked the box rather than putting any work/thought into it.

You don't say...

by Anonymousreply 170March 14, 2016 11:31 PM

Her husband was kind of cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171March 15, 2016 12:13 AM

Let me start by saying I am a huge Bernadette fan; hell, I even liked her in that piece of crap "The Goodbye Girl"

I am very surprised that you guys think her voice is in good shape. I saw her at NJ Pac last November and she sounded awful. I think that she omitted some of her signature songs because she can't sing them, and picks things like "Mr Snow" because they are now in her range.

by Anonymousreply 172March 15, 2016 12:18 AM

She's always been inconsistent vocally. "See Me on a Monday" wasn't totally in jest.

by Anonymousreply 173March 15, 2016 12:22 AM

She's always sounded like she's had a cold. It's her schtick. I think her voice has held up fairly well. I remember everyone complaining that her voice wasn't up to Sally in Follies, but I thought she sang the role just as well as anyone else had. It was some of her acting choices that left me cold.

by Anonymousreply 174March 15, 2016 12:25 AM

[quote] Surprised she only has 2 Tony's

How many Tonys does LuPone have? Merman? Martin? Sure there's Angie and Audra Ann but Merman and Martin were bigger legends than the latter two will ever be (and I love AL).

by Anonymousreply 175March 15, 2016 12:26 AM

[quote] I thought she sang the role just as well as anyone else had.

There were performance reports from show to show how she sounded good in one performance but the top notes weren't there in the next. I don't think Julia McKenzie had any such reports. Dorothy Collins apparently had some trouble because of her asthma. I bet it was a piece of cake for the likes of Judy Kaye.

by Anonymousreply 176March 15, 2016 12:30 AM

I do remember hearing that a chorus girl had to supply Collins with some of her top notes every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 177March 15, 2016 12:34 AM

"Only" two Tonys means nothing. There are many variables such as who the competition is in a particular year, what the hot show is, sentimental awards, "past due" awards, etc.

by Anonymousreply 178March 15, 2016 12:36 AM

[quote] I do remember hearing that a chorus girl had to supply Collins with some of her top notes every now and then.

I was NEVER in the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 179March 15, 2016 12:38 AM

I'm bumping this up, because I'm watching the new season of Mozart in the Jungle and she again looks fabulous.

R12, I think she responds to people's questions rather than lay out her entire menu.

R14, if she were doing that, she'd look like shit. Interesting, though, I've seen a blog or two with really bitchy comments about diet and how no one should have to give up carbs. The posts just ooze green. The comment early on this thread about butts the size of Rhode Island is probably apt in the case of some of those bloggers.

by Anonymousreply 180March 11, 2018 2:53 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with Bernie.

She's annoying and selfconscious as all get-out...but when I focus on her, divorced from her syrupy persona, she's at least an individual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 11, 2018 3:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!