Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

For unsolved mysteries fans: The Lars Mittank mystery

Lars Mittank was a tourist in Bulgaria who got in a scrap with some soccer fans who busted his eardrum. His friends flew home, but he stayed behind on doctor's orders and planned to see an airport doctor before leaving the next day.

That night he called his mother, frantic and paranoid, saying people were after him.

This is the last known footage of him. He can be seen going into the medical clinic at the Bulgarian airport, then later running at full speed out of the clinic like he was terrified. He runs out of the airport, through the parking lot, apparently hops a fence and disappears around the corner. That was more than a year ago, and he hasn't been seen since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 17, 2019 9:58 AM

That was creepy. Is it possible the clinic was some kind of organ harvesting operation? Maybe the ear injury caused him to have hallucinations?

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2016 3:25 AM

Organ harvesting in the airport seems slightly unlikely.

I wonder if he ever exhibited any signs of mental illness before the disappearance. The chances of him being alive & never seen by anyone seem slim to none, sadly. When was he reported missing? Did they search the grounds near the airport? Is there any kind of body of water he could have fallen in?

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2016 3:36 AM

[quote]Is there any kind of body of water he could have fallen in?

Okay Sylvia -- that's enough out of you.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2016 3:46 AM

Lol @ R3

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2016 4:01 AM

seems like psychosis triggered by a brain injury. Might have killed himself in the woods somewhere if he thought "they" were going to get him.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2016 4:03 AM

been there

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2016 4:03 AM

The family said he had no mental problems whatsoever before.

It seems likely that the fight somehow short-circuited something in his brain (I think something similar, but organic, happened to Elisa Lam), but that doesn't explain how someone in a foreign country could just disappear. He left everything he had in the clinic when he ran out the door.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2016 4:16 AM

I think it would be easier to disappear in a foreign country--no one knows, or has much or a record, of you.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2016 4:31 AM

That's sad. Maybe he suffered post traumatic stress from being attacked.

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2016 6:29 AM

Most likely a bad reaction to some medication they gave him at the clinic, if he'd never had any episodes before.

My 80-year-old father, after being medicated with opioids for a heart operation, became so paranoid that he thought the Stasi were coming to get him, and needed two orderlies to hold him down after he tore out all his IVs and attacked the nurse. Those drugs can really set you off if you're susceptible.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2016 7:27 AM

stories like this are so scary! undiagnosed psychotic break?

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2016 6:16 AM

He's cute! Save the cutie!!

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2016 6:56 AM

"Human organs off-loading in the Baggage Claim area. Mr. Lars Mittank to the White Courtesy Phone, please."

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2016 7:07 AM

Very good R3! In all seriousness, that footage gave me shivers.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2016 7:09 AM

A broken eardrum can lead to hallucinations. If infection sets in, you're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2016 12:10 PM

We've all seen Hostel, we know what's like over there.

And I'm not kidding. Those ex-Communist Eastern European countries have pretty hardcore criminal gangs running the show.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2016 12:15 PM

Eastern Europe is one place you don't want to travel alone. The "Hostel" movies weren't far from the truth.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2016 3:37 PM

The concept of the 'Hostel' movies totally creeped me out. If someone could think of the idea, you just know it is probably really happening. Missing persons cases like this add to my believing of it all.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2016 5:44 PM

Good. This should keep AMERICAN tourists away.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2016 10:19 PM

Who would have thunk DL is full of doctors?

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2016 5:32 PM

I only care because he seems hot

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2016 6:53 PM

is he hot?

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2016 6:38 AM

He moved to Minneapolis and married Phyllis. Later he died.

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2016 6:40 AM

The most recent posting on the facebook page dedicated to him says he has been found dead. Its dated April 13. I don't speak German so I'm relying on google translate. It weird I would have thought there would be more sources backing it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2016 11:14 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 25April 25, 2016 12:31 AM

He really was hot. Do they know what he died of?

by Anonymousreply 26April 25, 2016 2:31 AM

Okay my German is rusty but I finally figured out that the guy found on April 12 was Lars Wunder, a missing 31-year-old man. Lars Mittank is still missing.

For what it's worth, even the native German speakers on FB were confused. The mods of that Lars Mittank group needed to be more clear about what they were posting.

by Anonymousreply 27April 25, 2016 5:04 PM

He was not running once he got outside.

by Anonymousreply 28April 25, 2016 5:48 PM

I just read about this. It's creepy and I have no idea what happened.

by Anonymousreply 29March 17, 2019 9:28 AM

My mind went to human trafficking or organ harvesting. Dark, I know. But this is Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 30March 17, 2019 9:38 AM

What countries are in Eastern Europe?

by Anonymousreply 31March 17, 2019 9:50 AM

R31 Well, he was on holiday in Bulgaria. I'd reckon Bulgaria is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 32March 17, 2019 9:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!