Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Waltons' Ralph Waite was a violent abuser of women

In an essay published two weeks ago, the famous philosopher Martha Nussbaum opened up about a sexual assault she experienced in 1968, when she was 20 years old. She says she consented to sex, but not to the violence that followed. Here's how she describes what happened:

[quote]Unlike the Cosby women, I certainly intended to consent to intercourse. What I did not consent to was the gruesome, violent, and painful assault that he substituted for intercourse. I remember screaming for help, to no avail, and I remember him saying, "It's all part of sex."

She doesn't name the man who committed the assault, but describes him as a 40-year old theater actor. She also says he "shortly became another of America's beloved TV dads" and that about 30 years later, he ran for major political office as a Democrat "against an especially vapid Republican."

That bio is a perfect match for Ralph Waite, who was 40 years old in 1968, who was a New York theater actor, who began starring in The Waltons in 1972, and who ran for Congress as a Democrat against Mary Bono in 1998.

But the reason I am sure it was him is that I'm friendly with someone who knows her, and this person has told me that Nussbaum has discussed the incident with friends and named Waite as her attacker.

Tell me, DLers, have you heard any more stories like this one about good ol' Pa Walton?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2018 1:17 AM

Well that is certainly a defeatist article.

by Anonymousreply 1January 28, 2016 6:54 AM

Great, now I'll have to throw out my Waltons dvds I watch all the time!

by Anonymousreply 2January 28, 2016 6:55 AM

So let me get this straight, he fucked her in the back-butt when all she wanted was to get it in the consented upon front-butt?

by Anonymousreply 3January 28, 2016 6:58 AM

A "gruesome, violent" assault sounds a lot more serious than mere butt sex. I wish she would have given more details.

by Anonymousreply 4January 28, 2016 7:06 AM

Well, goodnight grandpa, this can't be true. My love for Ralph Waite is grandfathered.

by Anonymousreply 5January 28, 2016 7:14 AM

"I wish she would have given more details."

She was clear; he threw his Waite around.

by Anonymousreply 6January 28, 2016 7:25 AM

He must have slapped her viciously during sex!

by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2016 7:45 AM

There is no such thing as a "front butt," you utter ASS at r3.

by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2016 7:46 AM

The leg bone's connected to the front butt. The knee bone's connected to the back butt. The thigh bone's connected to the side butt. Now hear the word of the Lord!

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2016 8:03 AM

r8, shows what you know about female anatomy. Many women have developed the ability to poop through their "front-butt" (otherwise known as vagina.) It can sometimes be more convenient to poop out front, instead of having to turn around and do it the old-fashioned way. Get a lot more yeast infections now though.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2016 8:13 AM

WTF has happened to this place? Really R10? You think that passes for humor? I'm embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 11January 28, 2016 10:57 AM

And why bring up this ancient history (assuming it actually happened) now? If it did happen it sounds like she experienced an unpleasant sexual experience, not a "gruesome, violent, painful assault." Also notice that she waited until Waite was dead to dredge up this tale. I guess she wants the publicity. What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2016 2:29 AM

(R11) I know ((r10) is to ridiculous,but I could help but find my self seriously amused.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2016 2:35 AM

Stevie Nicks broke my daughter's vagina bone!

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2016 2:37 AM

Some girls have all the luck.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2016 2:39 AM

Yes, r12 - America's most prominent living philosopher is [italic]desperate[/italic] for the publicity that comes with having being sexally assaulted decades ago by a forgotten TV actor. You've seen right through her.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2016 2:47 AM

I worked with Ralph Waite once (post-Waltons). He was a very nice man and pleasant to everyone. I would hate for this to be true.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2016 3:09 AM

"He was a very nice man and pleasant to everyone. I would hate for this to be true."

I don't think that it is. I think it's bullshit. I think this Martha Nussbaum, whoever the hell she is, just needs a little attention in her old age.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2016 3:21 AM

"He gave me a glass of something called 'The Recipe,' and I began to feel woozy..."

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2016 3:52 AM

[quote]I don't think that it is. I think it's bullshit. I think this Martha Nussbaum, whoever the hell she is, just needs a little attention in her old age.

Are you kidding me?

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2016 5:46 AM

I once saw Micael Learned eat blood pudding. She even said she loved the smell!

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2016 5:51 AM

Fun fact; both the actors who played the grandparents on The Waltons (Will Geer and Ellen Corby) were gay in real life. In the 1930s, Geer's lover was famous homosexual Harry Hay.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2016 1:35 PM

What a life!

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2016 1:48 PM

Also r22 many people who had been blacklisted in the 50s appeared on that show.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2016 1:58 PM

The front butt, or front ass, is technically referred to as the 'frass'.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2016 5:55 PM

"And why bring up this ancient history (assuming it actually happened) now? If it did happen it sounds like she experienced an unpleasant sexual experience, not a "gruesome, violent, painful assault." Also notice that she waited until Waite was dead to dredge up this tale. I guess she wants the publicity. What a cunt. "

Why shouldn't she bring it up now? Yeah, the "publicity" is all these "cunts" want.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2016 6:05 PM

Interesting fact about Will Geer: He was a member of the original cast of The Cradle Will Rock. The story is very interesting how they weren't allowed to perform their show and the audience that night followed them to another theater where the show went ahead with flashlights and the actors just playing their parts from the audience.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2016 6:16 PM

I guess when she decided to tell this story she felt she had to Waite till he was gone.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2016 6:23 PM

She doesn't really say what happened.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2016 6:26 PM

This is bullshit. A hundred years ago this woman wanted to fuck some guy and it was not a successful or pleasant fuck. It happens. Most rational adults move on and exercise some discretion about it.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2016 6:44 PM

Waite was an alcoholic -- perhaps he was abusive when he was on the sauce.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2016 7:18 PM

Yea I am also troubled by what she even means. If she can't describe his actions in clear English so others can decide if it really was what they consider abusive or if he was just a loust lay then don't bother us.

Some people like vigorous sex others like it all sweet and "gentle".

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2016 7:28 PM

Remember Lens' big "rape" story that turned out to not be rape at all and in fact was just her usual lying bullshit?

This reminds me of that.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2016 7:40 PM

"Why shouldn't she bring it up now?"

I think the relevant question is why SHOULD she bring it up now. What purpose does it serve? None, except to portray herself as a poor, poor young girl who was sexually abused by an older man. And I don't think she was. It think that if it did happen, it was just a sexual experience that didn't go as well as she thought it would.

And of course she waited until he was dead to tell this tale because he's not around to deny it. Which makes it highly suspect.

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2016 7:53 PM

[quote] And of course she waited until he was dead to tell this tale because he's not around to deny it. Which makes it highly suspect.

Bingo. Kewpie doll for you, R34.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2016 7:56 PM

I also worked with RW and he was very honest that he was a mean, violent drunk back in the day. He was, as another poster said a very nice man and pleasant to everyone once he became sober.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2016 8:10 PM

"America's most prominent living philosopher is desperate for the publicity that comes with having being sexally assaulted decades ago by a forgotten TV actor. You've seen right through her."

"American's most prominent living philosopher?" HAHAHAHAHA! I think it's a safe bet to say that most people don't know who the hell she is...or cares. I think she probably doesn't get the recognition that she craves so she came up with this story about being assaulted by Ralph Waite. I guess she just wanted to get her name in the news. How pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2016 8:11 PM

[quote] American's most prominent living philosopher...

Oh really?

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2016 8:21 PM

[quote] think she probably doesn't get the recognition that she craves so she came up with this story about being assaulted by Ralph Waite.

Yeah, but it's Ralph Waite. If she wants to accuse dead tv stars, why didn't she pick Michael Landon? Is it because people knew that she used to hang around with Waite?

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2016 8:42 PM

The glamourous Professor Nussbaum:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2016 8:54 PM

[quote]I never seriously considered going to the police, even though there was a lot of forensic evidence.

What forensic evidence was available in 1968? Maybe they could have determined she was raped, but how could they link Waite to her rape?

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2016 8:54 PM

She is quite big time in the academic philosophy field:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2016 8:59 PM

A little bio:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2016 9:00 PM

Love the bottle blonde hair and the high heeled mary janes. So... uh... feminist!

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2016 9:01 PM

Yes obviously my post at r10 ridiculous, because I was parodying r3's ridiculous post.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2016 9:02 PM

My kind of guy, but next time tell her to put some ice on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2016 9:04 PM

Blonde:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2016 9:35 PM

WASPy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2016 9:36 PM

I know who she is and I'm European but I admit I know her through her work in the UN in Geneva in International Human Rights Law. I think she speaks of this because her area of expertise is the law and in this case she points out shortcomings in the law.

Martha Nussbaum is known internationally amongst an intellectual elite. Its amusing to read that someone would think she could be a fame whore.

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2016 9:42 PM

She's known in some academic circles (not particularly elite) but she is definitely not America's most prominent living philosopher. The people trying to sell her as that have tried to sell it to the wrong crowd.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2016 10:23 PM

Feminism is about women having equal rights, r44, not what a woman chooses to wear or not wear.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2016 10:35 PM

Meh. Who cares, R51? This isn't a feminist discussion website. It's much more of a looks-critique website.

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2016 10:41 PM

Then why bring up that dying her hair has anything to do with feminism in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2016 10:53 PM

What's the damn problem?

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2016 10:54 PM

Yeah, REALLY, Cos!

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2016 11:01 PM

Take The Waltons off the cable reruns right now and burn the remaining DVDs in retail stores and warehouses.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2016 11:05 PM

I don't see many bleached blonde, mini-skirt and high-heeled mary jane pumps wearing, old, feminist ranters around. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2016 11:12 PM

How many of them have you asked? Not every feminist is afraid of makeup and heels. Nor is every caneface a feminist.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2016 11:19 PM

She's got crazy eyes. And a hatchet face. Just looking at her gives me the creeps.

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2016 11:19 PM

[quote]She's got crazy eyes. And a hatchet face. Just looking at her gives me the creeps.

I was triggered by her picture and had to go to my happy place.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2016 11:24 PM

Are we sure it's Waite? He was in a one week flop in 1967, then in a two month flop in 1969. The theatre clue (playing a major role on Broadway) doesn't really fit him.

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2016 11:40 PM

[quote]Are we sure it's Waite? He was in a one week flop in 1967, then in a two month flop in 1969. The theatre clue (playing a major role on Broadway) doesn't really fit him.

She doesn't say it was on Broadway. She says, "at that time he was playing a major stage role in New York."

She says it was in Winter 1968. Waite was in the Public Theater's production of Hamlet at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2016 11:52 PM

This thread is making her point for her, over and over and over and....

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2016 11:54 PM

"This thread is making her point for her, over and over and over and...."

No, it doesn't. You seem to be in love with her. You're really fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2016 11:58 PM

Well, he never fucked me, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2016 12:16 AM

I just got the skinny from my mother who is friends with Nussbaum.

It was Waite and she is still a bit traumatized to this day. Says he really did a number on her and what not.

She told my mother that they were having a torrid affair back in the late 60s and one evening he told Nussbaum that he had learned, years ago, how to "make a woman scream during sex." She was rather curious because he was always such a gentle and attentive lover. One of those 'I don't cum til you climax' types.

Anyways curiosity got the best of her and she said, "Ok...make me scream during sex." At that point, he stopped mid rhythm, pulled out and and then walked over to the window where he proceeded to wipe his dick on her new velour curtains.

She's never been the same since.

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2016 12:36 AM

[quote] How many of them have you asked?

All of them.

by Anonymousreply 67March 27, 2016 2:43 AM

[quote] This thread is making her point for her, over and over and over and....

Is it? What do you imagine her point is, R63?

by Anonymousreply 68March 27, 2016 2:46 AM

If someone wants attention, one would not make up a story about a rape by Waite. Who gives a flying fuck about a guy in a TV show a millinium ago?

I'm sure this happened. She didn't want to make a big deal of it so didn't bring it up in public while he was alive

by Anonymousreply 69March 27, 2016 2:59 AM

[quote]Some people like vigorous sex others like it all sweet and "gentle".

Is "vigorous sex" DL speak for violent rape?

by Anonymousreply 70March 27, 2016 3:03 AM

"If someone wants attention, one would not make up a story about a rape by Waite. Who gives a flying fuck about a guy in a TV show a millinium ago? "

That's actually a very good point. In 2016 he isn't really a household name. People know the show existed but naming off the cast is another matter. I'm pretty good myself at old time tv trivia and can easily picture the guy's face, but would have had to stretch to recall the name.

In any event I am mainly familiar with him as the nasty first mate on the slave ship in Roots.

by Anonymousreply 71March 27, 2016 3:35 AM

Back in the day...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 27, 2016 4:23 AM

Matches the decor:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2016 4:25 AM

Ralph Waite was gay and had very little to do with women

by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2016 4:51 AM

He was hot when he was young and admitted to hustling when he needed money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2016 4:59 AM

"I'm sure this happened. She didn't want to make a big deal of it so didn't bring it up in public while he was alive."

Oh, don't be such an idiot. You're "sure this happened?" Why is that? Because she said it? And if she "didn't want to make a big deal of it" then why is she bringing it up now? If she "didn't want to make a big deal of it" why bring it up at all? She seems pretty crazy. She LOOKS pretty crazy. Why believe anything this strange woman says?

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2016 5:08 AM

It probably did happen, R76. Why are YOU getting so emotionally overwrought and insulting? Take a pill.

by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2016 5:23 AM

"It probably did happen."

Why do you say that? You appear to be taking her word for it completely on faith. You seem like you're in love with her. Maybe you should talk to someone about it. Your devotion seems...peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2016 5:42 AM

[quote]Ralph Waite was gay and had very little to do with women

He had enough to do with women that he had three daughters. I think the best explanation is that alcohol turned him violent and when he got sober, he re-gained his self-control. It is terrible that the woman had to carry the scars of his alcohol-addicted behavior longer than he suffered from it himself.

by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2016 6:47 AM

Why would she make such a random accusation if it weren't true?

by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2016 11:35 AM

R79 must be a psycho. Most trolls are.

by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2016 6:35 AM

That should be R78, sorry R79!

by Anonymousreply 82March 28, 2016 6:36 AM

I had eggs for breakfast. Existentially they reminded me of Ralph Waite. I cried. I went to bed and curled up in a ball. He never abused me. And now I have no eggs. I'm a shell of my former self. Ralph Waite is dead. Long live Ralph Waite.

by Anonymousreply 83April 19, 2018 10:49 PM

I despise character assassination of people once they are dead and can't defend themselves.

by Anonymousreply 84April 19, 2018 11:10 PM

Where has this wonderful,thread been all my life!

Many years ago I was friendly with a guy in my building in NYC who was a social worker/actor and sometimes did extra work. He told me about working on a TV movie with Lee Remick. He had a big crush on her and said that during a break they were having a nice conversation, then Waite horned in. That was his story. I just checked. "A Good Sport:--1984

by Anonymousreply 85April 19, 2018 11:18 PM

Nussbaum is certainly up there among American philosophers. I don't think she'd identify as a feminist philosopher as her interests are broader than that. Also technically Will Greer was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 86April 19, 2018 11:52 PM

Was he Judy Greer's father?

by Anonymousreply 87April 19, 2018 11:54 PM

No, Rose, he was Jane Greer's son.

by Anonymousreply 88April 20, 2018 12:00 AM

I don't believe it. He always made sweet gentle love to me.

by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2018 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!