Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm going to Panda Express for first time in my life....

...you heard that right. The very first time in my life. What should I get? What should I avoid?

by Anonymousreply 92April 8, 2018 5:08 AM

[quote] What should I avoid?

Panda Express.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2015 1:08 AM

It doesn't matter. Even if it says "chicken", it's panda. It's all panda.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2015 1:08 AM

Don't let them guilt you into adding an extra dollar for charity!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2015 1:10 AM

Oh, relax R1. I've spent most of my life in NY, SF, LA and London and been to lots of authentic Cantonese, Mandarin and Szechuan restaurants. I know that this will be totally Americanized, probably overly sweet "Chinese".

R2 - damn. Sounds exotic.

R3 - I sure as shit won't. I've seen that South Park episode.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2015 1:13 AM

[quote]Don't let them guilt you into adding an extra dollar for charity!!!!!

Or for flavor.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2015 1:14 AM

There's a South Park episode?

link?

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2015 1:14 AM

so, what's his name, how'd you meet him? and how come you're such a cheap date?

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2015 1:15 AM

So just imagine the delicious meal you could have bought had you not spent $18 here to start this moronic thread.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2015 1:20 AM

Ha ha, R7. Actually, I'm getting dinner with an old friend. No benefits. We're BOTH being cheap because I don't have my next consulting gig until January and he's an actor.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2015 1:21 AM

r8=hostile, dipshit, poor

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2015 1:22 AM

R6 - there's a recent episode in which Randy (the main "dad") starts a social movement to take on and resist the Whole Foods cashiers who guilt customers into donating $$ to charity at the check-out. However, it's part of a pretty intricately woven season-long arc. Much of it, I'm afraid, with a strong libertarian bent, but that's Matt & Trey for you. It's best to start with the first ep of this season, but in case you can't be fucked, it's this ep...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2015 1:25 AM

Congrats OP on having over fried protein caked in a sugary sweet sauce. I'm doing just fine with a salad.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2015 1:33 AM

Thanks, R12! What kinda salad? I guess it's Pan Asian day at my place. I made a Thai green papaya salad this afternoon myself.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2015 1:37 AM

Just avoid the whole place. it's junk "chinese" food.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2015 1:37 AM

R14 - please see R4. So I, somewhat jokingly, posted this on FB as well. Already got 15 responses all of which say "Orange Chicken", so I guess that's entree #1 settled.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2015 1:40 AM

[quote]What should I get? What should I avoid?

GET - laid by the cute cashier

AVOID - putting anything in your mouth (with the exception of the cute cashier's dick)

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2015 1:41 AM

My friend's here. Thank you so much for the great advice guys. Now I know exactly what (and what not) to put in my pie hole tonight. I feel like a proper American now. Post-dinner reviews to follow....

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2015 1:44 AM

I, for one, can't wait (serious; no sarcasm.) I've never been to one, even though I lived in SF over 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2015 1:46 AM

[quote]We're BOTH being cheap because I don't have my next consulting gig until January and he's an actor.

And yet you spent $18 to start this moronic thread.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2015 1:49 AM

for Asian fast food chains you must find Doc Chey's.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2015 1:49 AM

[R12] im having a wedge salad. Yum

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2015 2:05 AM

Get: the Ptomaine. Avoid: the cockroaches.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2015 2:14 AM

If you like breaded, fried rich food, the orange chicken and Beijing beef is good. The mandarin chicken is just grilled chicken breast they slice up for you - sauce on top or on the side. The chicken with string beans is hit or miss.

One absolute: make sure there's a bathroom nearby when you're finished. Panda is a guaranteed laxative.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2015 2:34 AM

Haven't been there in at least 10 years, but I used to get the black pepper chicken, Mongolian beef, & chow mein combo as a cheap lunch

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2015 2:37 AM

I've never been to one either.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2015 2:38 AM

Sweet and sour soup, orange chicken, and chow mein isn't bad at all.

Stay away from the fried rice - it's way bland and salty.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2015 2:43 AM

The real question is whether or not you masturbated in your car in the parking lot?

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2015 3:20 AM

Remember Jon Stewart's joke about Dick Cheney loving to eat Endangered Species candy bars, & his favorite flavor was panda?

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2015 3:52 AM

OP here. It's been nearly 8 hours since I first ingested Panda Express for the first time in my life. Some of this whirlwind experience is just a blur, but I'll do my best to quickly recap the highlights, in no particular order:

1. My friend, who is of Chinese ancestry, BTW (I know, the shame), picked me up, drove me straight to the nearest Panda Express and then made me sit in the car with him for 15 minutes while we waited for a long line to form in the restaurant before getting out. Why, you might ask? Apparently, he's discovered that the best way to get maximum Orange Chicken satisfaction is to wait until a long line of customers has finished off the old Orange Chicken sitting in the steam trays so that we could be one of the first people to get a freshly wok'd batch. His plan almost worked. When it was our turn to order there was still a small amount of old orange chicken left. My friend panicked. I called upon my improv skills from my SCETA (So Calif Educational Theatre Assoc) award-winning high school improv team experience and told the large family behind us that we were still deciding and offered to let them go ahead of us. It worked and when it was our turn, we got fresh Orange Chicken.

2. I did not take one poster's recommendation to initiate sexual contact with the cute cashier/server. Our cashier was, indeed, cute, but I'm not into post-menopausal Latinas. But Gloria, the cutie, did, well, the cutest thing. In heavily accented, slightly broken English, this delightful personification of a Salvadoran empanada would greet every customer who came in with the phrase "Hello! Thank you for being a panda today!" I doubt that was the exact line she was trained to say, but I like her version better. Per another poster's warning, she DID ask me if I'd like to round up our order and donate the change to some children's charity. Our order was $16.94, so I said yes and generously made some poor child's Christmas dreams come true with my $0.06 donation.

3. For our non-romantic quick service dinner we shared a small bowl of hot & sour soup (better than the Knorr packets of hot & sour soup mix you can buy in the grocery store, but nowhere near as good as any regular hot & sour soup you can get at any decent Chinese take out). We got two 2-entree plates and, unlike that bitch in that Arby's thread, we shared our food, like good Asian boys would. I'm Indian, he's Chinese. We couldn't finish it. I let my friend take the left-overs home.

I have to admit, the Orange Chicken (fresh batch) really was quite good - wonderful crisp coating, nice balance of spicy and sweet (but not cloyingly sweet like sweet & sour) and surprisingly large, juicy pieces of chicken underneath the breading. I can imagine the dish being really unsatisfactory if it's stale and soggy, though.

The Eggplant Tofu was surprisingly flavorful - too sweet for what I think should be a savory dish, but the eggplant was very good quality and the tofu was prepared well.

The Kung Pao Chicken was decent, but could use a bit more pungency (oyster sauce?) and heat. The best part was the blackened chili peppers which were fully edible and deliciously crisped. Eating the whole chilis greatly improved the flavor of the dish. White people, you may not want to eat those peppers, though.

Beef & Broccoli was decent. Compared to the other savory dish (Kung Pao), this sauce had a more distinctive flavor. Beef was moderately decent quality, broccoli was very fresh and not overly steamed. Still, I would double the amount of garlic they're using to dial up the flavor.

Fried rice was, you called it guys, bland and required lots of soy sauce and sriracha to flavor it. And no egg in your fried rice? Come oooon. Chow mein was marginally better than than the rice. But, honestly, if I were ever to do this again, I'd stick with steamed rice.

There was no jacking off or grab ass in the car. If you have any additional questions about my experience, please feel free to ask below.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2015 9:55 AM

You should have tried the Honey Walnut Shrimp. It really is their best item.

I also like the Beijing Beef.

I burnt myself out on the Orange Chicken and Black Pepper Chicken years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2015 9:59 AM

I'll make Beef and broccoli for dinner tonight, thanks to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2015 10:15 AM

OP here.

The shits. Oh Jesus, why didn't anyone warn me?

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2015 11:42 AM

The gals from the steno pool in my office live Panda Express. They always ask for extra hot sauce.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2015 12:02 PM

R23 warned you about getting the trots

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2015 12:33 PM

Honey it's not like you were going to Paris for the first time. Stop posting such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2015 1:29 PM

There's a video on You Tube of Chinese- Americans trying Panda Express and giving their opinion about each dish. It's quite funny because the young people say, in unaccented English, "Oh my God, this is disGUSting. It isn't anything LIKE Chinese food. I think I'm gonna be sick... no way I can finish this" about every damn thing.

Meanwhile, the older people, actually speaking Chinese, are tucking in like there's no tomorrow and translated as saying "Mmmm...this is pretty good" about most everything.

Myself, I enjoy Panda Express. I hate most fast food (burger places, Taco Bell, you name it), so it's nice to have a cheap alternative to a sit down restaurant every so often. I never get the rice or the chow mein, because that huge amount of steamed veggies is exactly why I like the place. They're always nice and tender-crisp, not overcooked. For the sides, I like Beijing Beef and Honey Walnut Shrimp or if I'm watching the calories, black pepper chicken.

Never had the runs after eating there. Taco Bell is a different story. Make a run for the border, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2015 1:45 PM

For some reason Panda Express is the only chinese food that doesn't leave you hungry 30 minutes after you had it.

by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2015 1:54 PM

One minute he's cranking one out in the work car park, next thing he's got the sharts from Panda Express. In his next thread, OP pisses in the punch at the Christmas office party.

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2015 2:12 PM

Ugh. R32 is not me. Just some jokester. Wish we still had trolldar. I did not get the shits, nor sharts, nor even farts.

R38 - I'm not the office parking lot wanker, though that thread was pretty entertaining. I suppose you can either ignore me or the OP of that thread to help confirm your conspiracy theory.

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2015 2:43 PM

I shall ignore parking lot wanker and not you, OP. I enjoy your feisty wry tone.

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2015 3:00 PM

Is this an outake from the next Harold and Kumar film?

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2015 3:31 PM

Still on the shitter but it's not as bad as before. My asshole looks like this now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2015 4:02 PM

Used to eat there years ago but haven't been in quite a while.

It was at that point a cheap alternative to take out but I'm sure it's no longer the case.

Still I prefer threads with the potential for a great deal more bitchery pointless or not.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2015 4:14 PM

It's funny how all of the neighborhood cats seem to disappear when one of those places opens up.

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2015 4:49 PM

The food even miauws when you stick a fork in it so you know it's freshly butchered cat

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2015 4:56 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but the first time I went to Panda Express was through the drive thru. I got so overwhelmed trying to order that I ordered a bunch of stuff that I didn't want. So I ended up with a bunch of food that I didn't really want, but I was too embarrassed to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2015 5:06 PM

We had one open up in my town a few years ago but I've never been there. Just looked at their menu online and their prices are about a dollar or so higher than an authentic Chinese restaurant's prices. Should a fast-food place be cheaper?

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2015 5:09 PM

[quote]You should have tried the Honey Walnut Shrimp. It really is their best item

"That's $1.25 extra, sir!"

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2015 6:15 PM

Last time I was there, there was a sign on the glass in front of the fried rice station indicating they had to change their recipe as a result of the major price increases on eggs.

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2015 6:15 PM

One thing that differentiates Panda Express from most chain fast-food places is that they're all company-owned-- no franchises. Same with In-N-Out. I think that at least makes them more consistent and quality-oriented.

by Anonymousreply 50December 13, 2015 6:16 PM

The teriyaki chicken (w/o teriyaki sauce or sauce on side) is pretty good and PE is quite generous with the portions. I don't know if this is company wide (I've only been to one location) but the back of the receipts have a link to a short survey that, when taken, gives you a code for a free third entree when you buy a two-entree plate.

by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2015 6:38 PM

Avoid the Moo Goo Gai Pan.

by Anonymousreply 52December 13, 2015 7:42 PM

OP is...... a)troll B)special c)special troll

by Anonymousreply 53December 13, 2015 7:43 PM

"Avoid the Moo Goo Gai Pan"

It's how I set my watch.

by Anonymousreply 54December 13, 2015 7:48 PM

I do not care how broke you are. Get a sandwich and eat it together on a bench . That would have more charm.This thread is so so sad and not just the food , Do you also save tinfoil and yarn and old xmas wrappings?

by Anonymousreply 55December 13, 2015 9:13 PM

My problem with that place is that no matter how short a period of time you spend in there, you always come out smelling like oil.

by Anonymousreply 56December 13, 2015 9:51 PM

OP at R29, thank you for getting back to us; very amusing (AND informative, as I have never been to a PE but want to go now!) I especially LOVED your first paragraph about using college improv training to get the family behind you to go first, in service of the orange chicken. And your friend sounds like a hoot; excellent strategy waiting in the car for a fresh batch of chicken; I think I'm going to steal that strategy!

by Anonymousreply 57December 13, 2015 11:44 PM

OP here. Normal, fluffy BMs. No "MSG headaches". But totally craving some more Orange Chicken now LOL.

W&W for R41! I LOL'd

R42 ≠ me (but might after tonight; going to my first sexy party!)

R44: Hi, Mrs. Lovett!

R46: Yeah, drive-thru would be - let me assume Gloria's native tongue - 'no bueno' for me either, I imagine. It was pretty overwhelming standing in line deciding what to get.

R55 - thank you for the great $$ saving suggestions! Merry Christmas!

R57: My pleasure! Good luck on your fresh Orange Chicken quest - if you try it out, report back here, please!

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2015 1:04 AM

OP here. Still craving Orange Chicken. Okay, that stuff is like crack.

In case it's of interest, if you're not following me on Yelp, you might not know that Panda Express wasn't my only new experience this week.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2015 9:40 AM

Panda express is decent, not bad not great. I'm glad OP enjoyed himself. At least he's not another annoying Janbot hater.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2015 4:52 AM

Thanks for the witty recap, OP.

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2015 8:05 AM

R60 - funny you should mention Janet. I don't know if they do this in all Panda Express', but at ours they were playing a station with Chinese versions of English-language pop songs and the station happened to play two Janet songs while we were there. A decidedly odd "Rhythm Nation" in which they actually said the words "Rhythm Nation" in English, but everything else was in Chinese and a (somewhat) funky version of "That's The Way Love Goes".

by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2015 8:31 AM

Well, boys (and fraus), in honor of Boxing Day, my brother and I picked up a couple of boxes of Panda Express today. This was my second experience. I insisted that we use the parking lot strategy my friend taught me on my first visit (see: R29, item #1). My brother, who has experienced Panda Express a handful of times in the past, told me I was being a "fussy gay" and that we should just go inside right away. I threatened to tell our 'rents about the time I came home from college to find him gobbling his former piano teacher's cookies on the antique dining room table. So, we waited. A solid 20 minutes. Sure enough, a long line formed, after which we high tailed it out of the car and waited patiently in line. Our server, a RIDICULOUSLY cute Asian college student - YES, really Asian - apologized that there'd be 5 minute wait for a fresh batch of Orange Chicken. Oh, if only he knew. My new favorite food service employee, Gloria, was there as well. And, yes, as we exchanged credit cards for soy sauce packets and chopsticks, she, again, said "thank you for being a Panda!" with an extra dose of holiday cheer in her beautifully accented trill.

In addition to his Chinese-ish food, my brother also ate some crow as he reluctantly admitted that he'd never tasted such fresh, delicious Orange Chicken before. I'm so glad that during this festive season, I was able to pass this valuable technique on to him. One day, several years after my brother has knocked up his girlfriend or piano teacher, my nephews will take me to Panda Express in their semi-autonomous Google cars and we'll wait patiently in the parking lot until a line forms, then hustle inside to get our freshly 3D-printed orange chicken. I'm getting a little choked up thinking about it now. Or maybe it's just indigestion.

Happy Boxing Day, everyone!

by Anonymousreply 63December 27, 2015 2:23 AM

R63/OP -

Die in a grease fire, you addlepated, boring fool. In other words,

eat shit and die. Since you're halfway to the destination.

by Anonymousreply 64December 27, 2015 2:26 AM

Awwww. Thank you, R64! No one's told me to die in a grease fire in AGES. So nice to hear those words again. And speaking of words, thanks for teaching me a new one: addlepated. Hope you're having a lovely holiday. XXOO

by Anonymousreply 65December 27, 2015 2:32 AM

Has anyone been to the original Panda Restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 66December 27, 2015 2:36 AM

Panda Express serves authentic Chinese food cooked by Mexixans.

by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2015 2:42 AM

One Chinese friend's 1st job in the US after arriving from (mainland) China was as a cashier at Chicago's Panda Express. She asked me how Americans could eat anything so sweet and not get sick. I explained that what I thought of as American sweet and sour chicken from Los Angeles' Chinatown, had maladapted when brought to the Mid West.

Linked are several Copycat Panda Express recipes including Orange Chicken which you can improve upon to suit your taste buds and health concerns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 27, 2015 3:12 AM

Indeed overpriced for what you get especially compared to a normal Chinese restaurant -- and the idiots working there have been taught to skimp so the portions are the minimum they can get away with. It shouldn't suck but it does.

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2015 3:44 AM

How do they get away with serving Panda.....seriously

by Anonymousreply 70December 27, 2015 5:05 AM

It's finger-Ling-Ling good!

by Anonymousreply 71December 27, 2015 5:08 AM

R66 I believe the original restaurant is called Panda INN, and I think it's in Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 72December 27, 2015 5:57 AM

Jeez, R64. What's your damage, Helen?!

by Anonymousreply 73December 27, 2015 6:03 AM

There are many links online to better versions of Panda's most popular recipes; adjust the amount of sugar and spice to your individual taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 27, 2015 6:29 AM

Thanks, OP, for all the fun. I'l confess that I eat the chicken with green beans (lotsa protein, not many calories) once in a while.

What effing kills me about the place is that after all these years, they can't or won't keep the goddamn food hot in the trays. Something someone alluded to: Getting something very fresh makes a massive, massive difference. I eat more than my share of fast food, burritos from a locally owned Mex place, but I wouldn't eat P.E. that's been sitting around if it was free.

by Anonymousreply 75December 27, 2015 7:05 AM

"We. no see your cat. Please stop asking. Try our chicken. It's puuuurfect!"

by Anonymousreply 76December 27, 2015 7:52 AM

If you must know, cats do not taste like chicken.

by Anonymousreply 77December 27, 2015 8:06 AM

Speaking of chain "Chinese" restaurants - Asian Chao's steamed cabbage/vegetable medley is fantastic. I usually ask for a double order of it in place of any steamed/fried rice. It's super garlicy and savory, tender but not overcooked - and I don't feel so guilty for eating a large portion of it. I like their "bourbon chicken" too, even though the sauce is loaded with MSG. I know it's not actually authentic in general, but it's still damn delicious, and Asian Chao makes it better than most Chinese takeout joints do in my experience. I've tried ordering "bourbon chicken" from the local Chinese takeout places, but their sauce just tastes like they dumped maple syrup over some chicken thigh meat.

by Anonymousreply 78December 27, 2015 8:54 AM

Is Pick Up Stix still around? Their House Special Chicken was the bomb.

by Anonymousreply 79December 27, 2015 9:00 AM

Is Pei Wei a cut above Panda Express, or are they about the same?

by Anonymousreply 80December 27, 2015 9:28 AM

[quote] Has anyone been to the original Panda Restaurant?

Yes, I've been to the Panda Inns in Pasadena and Glendale, CA. Good Chinese food.

by Anonymousreply 81December 27, 2015 10:11 AM

[quote]What should I get?

Imodium AD

by Anonymousreply 82December 27, 2015 10:15 AM

Yes, I know r72. Been there many times.

by Anonymousreply 83December 27, 2015 4:43 PM

R77=ALF

by Anonymousreply 84December 27, 2015 10:31 PM

R80 Pei Wei is owned by the PF Chang's people. It's more fast-casual than fast-food.

by Anonymousreply 85December 27, 2015 10:32 PM

Prepare to spend the rest of your life struggling with obesity and bad skin. You'll never find love and will die alone. Get a salad at Whole Food instead.

by Anonymousreply 86December 28, 2015 12:00 AM

R86 is why the straights hate us.

by Anonymousreply 87December 28, 2015 12:07 AM

[quote]Get a salad at Whole Food instead.

Coming from someone who has never been to Whole FoodS.

by Anonymousreply 88December 28, 2015 12:09 AM

Is this the best time of year to eat panda? Or are there certain months when it's in season?

by Anonymousreply 89December 28, 2015 12:09 AM

Actually buying salads at Whole Foods is a terrific idea. I buy just what I want when I want it. I can vary the type of food I want day to day and I don't end up wasting food at home.

by Anonymousreply 90December 28, 2015 1:28 AM

The salad bar is great.

by Anonymousreply 91December 28, 2015 1:29 AM

It's been more than two years since I've shoveled some tangy, crispy Orange chicken down my gullet. My friend and I had 20 minutes for a quick dinner before a show and we parked less than a block away from Panda, so it just had to be. They were out of Orange Chicken. Not as in... "we're wok'ing up a fresh batch", but as in they'd run out of the ingredients. However, we had a rare treat. They were testing out a new dish at this location... Lemon Chicken. It was different than what I recall their Orange Chicken being like. It had a lighter tempura style batter and was thinly coated with in a tangy lemon ginger (I think) sauce and little fried garlic chili flakes. For my taste, a little too sweet to have a full meal of the stuff, but when paired with a more savory dish, it was surprisingly good. Solid 3/5.

Now, our friend's play on the other the other hand... oy!

by Anonymousreply 92April 8, 2018 5:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!