Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brad Gooch--Discuss!

Former model, PhD. Married with a kid now.

Pretty hot for 63 (or any age actually)

by Anonymousreply 67May 20, 2020 10:01 AM

Was he that poor Agnes's illegitimate child?

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2015 7:55 PM

Very nice and bright man--met him two summers ago t an academic conference.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2015 7:58 PM

I once went to some lecture in college about some poet only because I liked the way his picture looked on the flyer.

He married a preacher and their kid's name sort of rhymes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2015 8:05 PM

I liked but didn't love "The Golden Age of Promiscuity"

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2015 8:14 PM

I used to be obsessed with him. He was always so gorgeous, I used to see him at The Spike. I heard he had a maid/house-cleaning fetish. Come on over! Scrub that tub!

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2015 8:34 PM

It's good her mother, the Countess de Gooch, can't hear you. Fabulous wealth, the De Gooches.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2015 8:58 PM

Okay smart.... for a former MODEL.

He was a total fame wore a decade or so ago.

Not a great writer.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2015 10:33 PM

I read his latest, Smash Cut, and it was ok.

He must've been ultra good-looking because for a model he's not that tall. He discusses as much in the book.

I always thought his book Finding the Boyfriend Within was well intentioned but silly.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2015 10:44 PM

A former model? Please book him on my show ASAP!

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2015 11:11 PM

Whore.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2015 11:18 PM

Huge old thread on him somewhere. He wasn't liked.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2015 12:12 AM

What was "The Spike" mentioned above?

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2015 12:16 AM

The Spike was a sleazy-in-a-fun-way gay bar on the West Side Highway in far west Chelsea. I think it's an art gallery now.

For quite some time there was an abandoned 70s station wagon in front with no windows, since they'd all been broken. At last call you could stagger out with your beer bottle, drain it, and throw the bottle into the car through the window. There were hundreds of empty beer bottles in it. Good times!

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2015 2:32 AM

He's a typist, not a writer. He got all of his opportunities based on his looks, his boyfriend who died, and his good fortune not to die of AIDS when gay writers were dropping left and right.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2015 6:57 AM

I am friends with Brad. Good guy, and glad he's happy. He is smarter than he writes. His books are a little boring however.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2015 8:53 AM

He has a delightful anus

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2015 12:41 PM

Whoever said that he is a huge publicity whore is 100% spot-on....I wonder if his he is depressed that the sloppy wet kiss of a New York Times profile a few months ago did not restore him to be culturally relevant, despite his best efforts (baby, gay marriage, etc.) to be trendy.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2015 12:54 PM

Below-average writer. Everything was always about his looks. And a rabid, aggressive social climber. But, my friends who know him say that he has settled down, become more comfortable with himself, much kinder to others. Forgive the transgressions of the past.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2015 1:03 PM

[quote]Whoever said that he is a huge publicity whore is 100% spot-on

I hate people like that.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2015 2:34 PM

He used to beat me up and take my lunch money

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2015 2:34 PM

A friend of mine had him as a professor at William Paterson years ago.

She was underwhelmed.

He was cute though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2015 2:55 PM

Who is the "Sean" he talks about in his new book?

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2015 11:25 PM

Sean is Matt Dillon.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2015 12:53 AM

Dear 5. That is true. He once spent the weekend in a cage in New Jersey. When he was let out, it was on a leash. When I heard the story I said "You spent the weekend in New Jersey?"

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2015 12:59 AM

His book on Frank O'Hara was great.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2015 1:02 AM

Dillon fits the age exactly but not the other Sean descriptions. He's not from Boston and he was already a star by 1980. Maybe Gooch altered the facts to hide is identity. There is a picture of Dillon and a surprisingly hot looking Fisher Stevens in the book. Fisher never married either stories?

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2015 1:02 AM

His books are certainly better than Bret Easton Ellis'. I say that knowing these are fighting words around here.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2015 1:54 AM

Does he have to go to church every Sunday to hear his husband preach? That would be hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2015 1:56 AM

"The Golden Age of Promiscuity" was a little depressing.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2015 2:05 AM

I think he has gotten better with age.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2015 3:40 AM

He was the guest bartender on WWHL once.. (the humiliation of it all!)

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2015 3:45 AM

I don't find him attractive now:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2015 3:46 AM

R23--can you tell us anything more about Matt Dillion? You seem 100% sure, so you MUST know more.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2015 4:37 AM

Dear Spill, He was fucked by Matt Dillon. What do you want, a diagram?

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2015 12:26 PM

No, R34. But pics would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2015 2:53 PM

Matt Dillon is in the documentary about Howard Brookner Uncle Howard

by Anonymousreply 36February 3, 2016 11:25 PM

@R32. That photo aside. When we were all cater waiters together in the 80's and he was not yet a writer, just a model, EVERYONE had a crush on him.. Incredibly gorgeous and a quiet, nice guy. Look around young queens. If you're lucky enough to age, time wins.

by Anonymousreply 37February 3, 2016 11:40 PM

Is he HIV+ since he's a bottom and was fucked by Dillon? He was apparently a model at one time so I guess he was also a male prostitute. Details on him being a slave in a cage or being "forced" to clean someone's flat or home?

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2018 9:02 PM

Still hot:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2018 9:18 PM

[quote]While he was finishing his work as director of the feature film Bloodhounds of Broadway, a send-up of 1920s New York with a cast of Hollywood actors, including a young Madonna, Howard Brookner’s rapidly declining health landed him in St. Vincent’s hospital. During those years, even some medical professionals were still afraid to have physical contact with AIDS patients. Providing one reason why she’s historically been such an icon for the gay community, Madonna visits Howard at the hospital, climbs right onto the hospital bed with him, and kisses him on the lips. When Howard asks Brad why so many visitors are stopping by, Brad replies, “Because something about you makes people feel good when they come to see you ... because you give something to people.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2018 9:34 PM

Hmm, I prefer Brad Gunt.

by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2018 9:54 PM

Are his books worth reading, or not? How kinky is or was he?

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2020 1:28 PM

I just ordered Smash Cut, r42. If I remember, I'll let you know what I think.

by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2020 2:02 PM

Smash Cuts is a good historical picture. The writing is awkward in places.

by Anonymousreply 44January 4, 2020 2:49 PM

Middle 1980s I lived in the Village on E. 12th Street and we went to the same gym on 4th Ave (owner was female legend Nicole Bass). From time to time we would hook up at my place because he was dating someone at the time. Had sex 3 or 4 times but I got bored with him and didn't like the boyfriend angle once I gave it some thought. I remember he had a great body and he loved getting fucked.

by Anonymousreply 45January 4, 2020 3:27 PM

R45 was he cut or uncut? Was he a total bottom then?

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2020 5:38 PM

His biography of Frank O'Hara was a huge disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2020 5:48 PM

Hard to be gay bitchy about this guy. Seems decent, suffered a lot with the death of a LT boyfriend at a young age. Despite being part of the glitterati, doesn’t seem obnoxious. A survivor like many of us.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2020 6:04 PM

My role model.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2020 6:22 PM

I read SmashCut...I can't recall a thing about it

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2020 6:23 PM

Met him a long time ago at a party in Waverly Place. He was stunning and very nice. He flirted with me and I was too naive to figure it out. Oh well...

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2020 7:19 PM

R22 is this the "Sean" character in the book the golden age of promiscuity?

by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2020 9:06 PM

He seems like the kind of once-relevant New Yorker now getting a New York Times obituary due to the coronavirus disease.

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2020 9:13 PM

and yet another 2015 post gets bumped.

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2020 9:13 PM

Thanks for bumping a thread full of dead links and nary a photo of the subject, Bump Bitch R52. You probably bumped this thread back in January too.

by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2020 9:19 PM

I dated his best friend, another former model turned writer. He gave me Gooch’s book Scary Kisses as a gift. Dear God, It was absolutely one of the worst things I ever read. Like, astonishingly bad. That was the moment I realized talent didn’t matter in the world. You could absolutely suck at whatever you were trying to accomplish, but if you were hot enough and had the right connections, you could still be successful.

I know, duh, right? But I was 20 and idealistic.

That little dark light bulb over my head changed my whole perspective on things right quick.

by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2020 9:36 PM

R56 who was the model/ex? I wonder who Brad had sex with or paid off in order to get published? Are his biographies on Frank O'Hara and Flannery O'Connor any good, or not?

by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2020 9:44 PM

I can’t say the model’s name...he was pretty successful for a few years. One of the Armani guys from the late 80s to early 90s.

And Scary Kisses kept me from ever reading another thing from him. But i certainly read his reviews. They were fair to middling at best.

by Anonymousreply 58May 3, 2020 9:57 PM

"Smash Cut" is as good as Patti Smith's "Just Kids." Brad is consistently nice. Even generous.

by Anonymousreply 59May 3, 2020 10:00 PM

Thanks R58 what did the model write?

by Anonymousreply 60May 3, 2020 10:08 PM

I liked Scary Kisses...it was very much a "first" book but it was a fun and interesting look at a very specific time and place. And, The Golden Age of Promiscuity is also a very solid novel of the post Stonewall gay lit genre.

He's a decent/good but not great writer who I think gets a lot of smack thrown at him because he's annoyingly good looking and he, like many good looking people, was able to use that to climb the ladder.

Which tends to make the less fortunately blessed, bitter Bettys.

by Anonymousreply 61May 3, 2020 10:21 PM

I am reading the golden age of promiscuity right now and I like it so far; but I am at the part where the main character meets a woman who is a cross between Patti Smith and Annie Sprinkle. I am not sure why the main character seems very sexually reserved in some ways, or why he lets the student activist character and others treat him like a doormat?

by Anonymousreply 62May 3, 2020 10:32 PM

Did Brad die?

by Anonymousreply 63May 4, 2020 10:34 AM

Brad is alive and well. Agree with him being an ok writer - not great - who had great connections to get published. But seems decent so have no issue with him making a living on his writing.

by Anonymousreply 64May 4, 2020 1:35 PM

[quote]He married a preacher

I'M A BRIIIIIIIIIDE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2020 3:05 PM

True R64 he's alright at writing, not super great. On this thread someone claims Brad was kept by Howard Brookner and that's how he became so successful at being published.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 8, 2020 4:19 PM

Brad was not "kept" at all by Howard. They lived a very modest life. II believe they were the same age. "Smash Cut" is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 67May 20, 2020 10:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!