Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Mommie Dearest Diary: Carol Ann Tells All

OMG why didn't you bitches tell me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 28, 2020 8:56 AM

I knew Rutanya many years ago. I'm sure she discusses her contribution to Brian de Palma's Dressed to Kill in the book. I thought Angie Dickinson deserved an oscar nom at the very least, if not the win afterseeing the movie. But then Rutanya informed me that Angie's screams while being murdered were so forced and cringingly awful that de Palma hired Rutanya to dub Angie's voice. Rutanya then impersonated Angie trying to scream, and then did her own screams which ended up in the movie. Rutanya was - (and I'm sure stilll is) - a very lovely, funny and wonderful woman.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2015 8:25 AM

Can't wait to read this.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2015 8:28 AM

Now that you mention it the screams do sound dubbed. Odd DePalma dubbed a lot of his films. The "creepy Carrie, Creepy Carrie" little boy in Carrie (the dubber was Betty Buckley) and then in Body Double Deborah Shelton's whole performance was dubbed by Helen Shaver.

Odd. I wonder if DePalma was just being a perfectionist or if all the original voices were bad. Wasn't the kid in Carrie his son?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2015 8:33 AM

I think it was his nephew.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2015 8:24 PM

She also did a fun, gossipy behind-the-scenes talk about MD couple of years ago at the Castro Theatre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2015 9:17 PM

She's terrific. So fun. Anyone remember her creepy performance in a slasher flick with Hal Holbrook called Girls Nite Out? She steals the movie with the final scene.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2015 10:20 PM

98 % five star reviews (out of 50 reviews)

But it is not available on Kindle so , 'meh' ..... I'll wait

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2015 11:53 PM

R7, what is wrong with reading a real book instead of a computer?

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2015 7:31 AM

Yes, R8-- and books are so decorative!

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2015 6:50 PM

Rutanya's Bday was yesterday - October 13.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2015 3:55 PM

She's at Chiller Theater next weekend in New Jersey, and I'm going.

I wonder how much she charges to sign a DVD of Mommie Dearest?

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2015 4:17 PM

[quote]Rutanya was - (and I'm sure stilll is) - a very lovely, funny and wonderful woman.

And a blabbermouth! She charged $25 two years ago at Chiller.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2015 6:29 PM

[quote]She's at Chiller Theater next weekend in New Jersey, and I'm going.

I'm jealous.

Say hi to Kim Richards, Julie Newmar, Lulu Roman and Brian Bonsall for me.

Looks like Nicholas Brendon skipped out.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2015 6:33 PM

I remember her best from "Amityville 2: The Possession."

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2015 6:37 PM

[quote] Looks like Nicholas Brendon skipped out.

Probably due to his latest arrest. Can't cross state lines, and all that as a condition of bail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2015 6:40 PM

[quote]I remember her best from "Amityville 2: The Possession."

I have the DVD signed by her, Burt Young & Diane Franklin from Chiller. Going again next week.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2015 8:43 PM

[quote] I have the DVD signed by her, Burt Young & Diane Franklin from Chiller. Going again next week.

No Jack Magner, or Andrew Prine?

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2015 8:52 PM

R11 If you can, run off a copy of this thread from your computer to show and give to her. Trust me, I knew her many years ago. She would LOVE it. And also ask her to re-enact her final scene from Girls Nite Out, when she screams, "Dickie! Dickie!!" Again - she will love you for asking! She's worth whatever money you'd have to pay!

And - don't know how many of you are aware of this - (though I'm sure it is in her book) - her husband was actor Richard Bright. A really great guy with beautiful blue eyes - (he's actually the reason I knew her). He was in the Godfather movies, Panic in Needle Park, and lots of tv and movies straight thru to the 90s. One of those guys you'd always recognize but not really know his name. He died tragically trying to cross a NYC street and got hit by a bus. I hadn't known them for years by then, but Ruth must have been devastated.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2015 9:01 PM

[quote]No Jack Magner, or Andrew Prine?

I don't think either were there since I've been going. If Prine was there, I would get him on my "The Miracle Worker" that Anna (she actually told me to call her that!) Patty Duke signed.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2015 10:43 PM

See you there, [r16] ...

Where do you want to meet up? LOL

Kim Richards better show up this time. She let me down last round.

I head that the October Chiller is a little wilder than the summer one. Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2015 1:20 PM

I finished the book and it was really interesting. With the exception of the first and final chapters, it is her actual diary kept during the months while shooting the film. Some mundane and some fascinating. A very cool insight into the life of an actor during a long movie shoot. Lots of personal stuff about her marriage as well as onset drama. I suppose in hindsight it seems rather deluded that she is so surprised the role of Carol Anne constantly was ignored or denied proper coverage but apparently the actress was led to believe the role could possibly garner an Oscar nomination. And who knows, in different hands the film could have perhaps seen a whole different response. But that's hard to imagine with the way the movie ended up. At the time, Faye Dunaway was not a joke. She was an award winning actress with a "difficult" reputation. So there were a lot of assumptions this would be an Oscar worthy pic.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2015 1:47 PM

How much did she discuss her husband, Richard Bright? Her son? - (and where is he now? - I met him once when he was four). And did she write about dubbing Angie D in Dressed to Kill?

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2015 12:47 AM

[quote]I head that the October Chiller is a little wilder than the summer one. Is that true?

They both are fun but for the twenty fifth anniversary they are really short on star wattage. They used to get Oscar winners every show, this time it's a bit disappointing. Even last show they had Ann fucking Margret who was absolutely lovely by the way.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2015 2:32 AM

I just remembered I posted on here about going to Chiller.

I said hello to Rutanya, but didn't buy her book. $30 just seemed a little steep at the time for a paperback. By the time I convinced myself I did want it, it was too late. Her table was very nicely set up (unlike others who just put an 8x10 on the wall behind them with some electrical tape....I'm looking at YOU, John Amos!...HA) She had a pretty snappy looking gay guy with her to deal with the cash.

She looks good.

You know who doesn't? John James from Dynasty. Time is cruel.

All in all, it was fun, but I preferred the one in April. Ready to go again.

by Anonymousreply 24November 5, 2015 12:57 PM

Sorry OP, I'm not trying to divert this super thread in anyway. It's just R8 brought up a very good point ,and I totally agree with R8. I don't want to read anything that needs a battery when you can just take a book of the shelf and read as long as you want to. Also, environmentally speaking, e-books, etc, create more debris ,however, regular books are paper and the paper can be recycled.

Also,one of many icons on a desk top isn't a book. It reduces the value of books in our society. A book icon next to an icon for a computer game? which do you think kids will want to choose for their past time? I live in Silicon Valley and they want everything to be on computers. These are people don't read books ,but sit in front of their computer screens all day and want to force book readers to do the same. I know of many, many avid book readers who refuse to read their books off of a computer screen and they are very angry. In addition, Ray Bradbury did not want his books put on e-books etc. ,but unfortunately he couldn't stop it because he lost the rights to the books. He thought what is happening to books converted basically to small computers is his book, Fahrenheit 451 becoming a reality because the value of books is diminishing by the over shadow of computers not put into perspective.

There are many studies done which state the brain can't digest the information with an e-books etc.like a regular book can. I think e-books are super when you are traveling and you don't want to lug around many books. Also, people with arthritis in their hands or other disabilities can be a plus for them. However, to eliminate all books ,which they are trying to do, is insane and technology isn't put in the right perspective.

by Anonymousreply 25November 5, 2015 10:51 PM

Here is one of the studies on computerize books.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 5, 2015 10:54 PM

What does Carol Ann reveal in the book?! I’m dying to know!

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2020 1:26 AM

R27 why bump a 2015 thread?

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2020 1:32 AM

R27 we do hope you die!

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2020 1:32 AM

r27 Can't afford to buy your own copy, Miss Dunaway?

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2020 1:38 AM

R28 I am reading this for the first time in 2020. I have a lot of tabs open in my internet browser and it takes me years to get to them sometimes, but I can’t close them until I’ve read and responded because I have aspergers.

In this thread it seemed like everyone was beating around the bush and not getting at what I wanted to see discussed, which is what carol ann had to say.

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2020 10:06 PM

How about you open a new tab to Amazon and buy the fucking book so Rutanya can get a few cents in royalties?

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2020 10:21 PM

I got this for my birthday earlier this month and it was a quick, somewhat dishy read. Besides the tea on Faye (who was a nightmare who alienated everybody on the set), Rutanya also seems to have slept with half the old guys (old in the '70s) in Hollywood. Sterling Hayden??

Her relationship with husband Richard Bright is discussed in such harrowing terms that I was shocked to discover they remained married until his death in the early 2000s. However, later I read an interview with her in which she mentioned they had actually been separated for years at the time of his death.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2020 10:36 PM

Huh, r18 seemed to think he was a great guy. What's the harrowing stuff?

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2020 11:57 PM

He was supposedly sober but constantly sneaking off to use drugs. He also stole money from her, again going to drugs. He verbally abused her and was really controlling. He openly resented her working (though he lived off her money) while he was not. That's what I remember off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 35June 28, 2020 8:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!