Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rock Hudson Comment

[quote]Rock Hudson is no hero, I know everybody has a short memory but he was outed for putting others in grave danger for his own selfish desires when he KNEW he had AIDS. He is a villain. Whoopty do if he was an actor (whom none of you supporters knew) he committed attempted murder in knowingly putting others at mortal risk. Odds are he infected some that later died, that would make him a murderer.

What is this person talking about. This was found in the Comments section of the People magazine web site which features a spread on Rock's former lover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2020 7:04 AM

Another comment:

Well people knew exactly how AIDS was spread back then. It was not a secret and it was through homosexual sex and through promiscuity and unprotected sex in the homosexual male community that spread the virus. It began in the USA by some male flight attendant ( I forget his name) who had an unbelievable number of sexual partners, he, as you can imagine flew all over the USA and met many men. After it spread like wild fire through the homosexual community and they were told to not be promiscuous, they ignored that advice and continued with anonymous, unprotected, promiscuous sex.

Even in African countries where people like to claim it started as a heterosexual disease that is not true, it was started among closeted homosexual men who were married, but on the down low and they gave it to their g/f's and wives. In Africa homosexuality is way more frowned upon than in other countries, as that you can go to prison when caught in homosexual acts, so do you think homosexual men, back then, even now would be open about their homosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2015 5:16 AM

Why haven't they done a big screen bio on him? Exceptionally handsome + secretly gay. Not too secretly, though. The only time my mom said everyone knew they were gay, was about Rock. Apparently, everyone, the general public, knew even by the 50s/60s. I guess he was so handsome and popular, he somehow got a pass.

There's a good movie there, the bareback villain stuff adding to it, and it'd have to include lots of hot gay sex. The pool parties alone. It'd require a stud actor who could be the next Rock though. Incredibly handsome even by Hollywood standards.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2015 5:32 AM

The R1 comment incorrect on so many points. Frightening.

As for RH knowingly spreading the virus, I do remember reading similar accounts of certain behavior. But since I was not a witness to these events, it's all hearsay.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2015 5:44 AM

Who did Rock Hudson put in danger?

That's sad in the article about his boyfriend never realizing that Hudson actually loved him. All that fame and money, but not able to be open and happy due to the times.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2015 7:09 AM

Don't you people remember the boyfriend who sued his estate because Rock was having unprotected sex with him after Rock knew he was HIV+? Jeez, it was all over the press and tabs. I believe the the estate settled with him. He had unprotected sex after finding out he was HIV+, and yes, at the we knew at was passed through sex. That is what the comment was about.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2015 7:23 AM

Rock was a bottom, so doubtful he passed anything along

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2015 7:34 AM

I always thought it was ironic how tight he was with the Reagans who as we know did jack shit about the AIDS crisis. Said a lot about his denial and overall self centered ness .

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2015 8:15 AM

Didn't Reagans refuse to help Rock get medical treatment in American hospital in Paris when he was almost dying of AIDS?

I've no idea how tight they were but I'd imagine that if they were friends in Hollywood when young it's not a surprise that carried to the later years.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2015 8:54 AM

Manslaughter 1 or 2? There was negligence, but no proof that he *intended* to infect anyone with HIV.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2015 9:06 AM

In 1966's The Trouble with Angels, there was a Rock Hudson gay joke.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2015 10:09 PM

r10, what was it?

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2015 1:12 AM

Interesting quote from the article OP linked to:

"It was career suicide. We all pretended to be straight. Once we met Paul Newman and his wife [Joanne Woodward] at a premiere. He looked at me and smiled. I just read in his face – that maybe he knew Rock and I were together. We kind of laughed about it."

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2015 1:16 AM

R1 is referring to the brouhaha that Hudson "endangered" Linda Evans by kissing her in Dynasty. Stupid straight people think you can get AIDS from kissing.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2015 1:24 AM

r11 -- the girls were taken to buy bras and went nuts trying on all different sexy numbers to which they attributed to various movie goddessess, except for one, who came out in a plain beige bra and announced "Rock Hudson."

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2015 1:50 AM

r14, that's cute

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2015 2:08 AM

R5, are you referring to Marc Christian? He may have won the lawsuit, but he tested HIV negative. Rock wasn't around to rebutt (oh, dear?) his accusations. Plus, at that time Gay AIDS patients were villified. Of course they would believe the boyfriend over the man who died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2015 3:24 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2015 3:30 AM

Marc Christian had some problems with the truth

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2015 3:57 PM

R13 well to be fair next to no research had been done at the time and even if the government had assured use your could only contract it a certain way, given how little had been done at that point, would you have necessarily believed them?

The point being, no one really knew for sure what what safe and all the ways it could be contracted - and Rock Hudson certainly didn't give a shit.

Hero, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2015 10:11 PM

R19 = Marc Christian

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2015 10:32 PM

Big time liar, Marc Christian. Talked about how traumatized he was by Rock and hadn't been with anyone since. And the very week he was trying to get his settlement, he was with a friend of mine fucking away in Laurel Canyon. I begged my buddy to call the lawyers but no fucking way was H going to be caught up in that -- the whole slant was Marc was the badly treated potential AIDS victim who was lied to. And dead and buried Rock was the asshole supposedly. Total opportunist who faded away after, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2015 10:37 PM

Was Rock a whore? I wonder how many men he was with in his lifetime. I only wonder because he was so good looking, famous, and rich. I wonder if he "mentored" anyone.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2015 11:13 PM

Why are you policing internet comments, OP? Internet comments sections are wastelands.

by Anonymousreply 23September 6, 2020 4:04 AM

I know we're supposed to be upset at people bumping 5 year old threads, but the topics are so much more interesting than what I'm seeing recently.

by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2020 4:17 AM

Bump bitch at R23 is real busy tonight bumping threads. Be sure to block and FF every bump bitch bump!

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2020 7:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!