Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why hasn't the gay community embraced Freddie Mercury?

Shouldn't "We Are The Champions" be our theme song?

by Anonymousreply 153August 23, 2020 9:29 AM

He denied he was gay until the bitter end.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2015 5:37 PM

Gay as a Christmas goose, but the sort of screeching, shrieking music that 13-year-old straight boys like.

If you like music that's all about power and big volume and big theatrics and hurting the ears of cats and dogs, then he's your man. 10x bonus points for being dead; otherwise he'd be a footnote at best.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2015 5:46 PM

Oh, we love Freddie. He's just not been doing much for the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2015 6:08 PM

Because Freddie was bi.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2015 10:05 PM

What do you mean? We did embrace him. Many of us--long, long ago. That was his downfall.

by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2015 10:09 PM

Cuz he's dead of the aids?

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2015 10:09 PM

He is the greatest homosexual singer and entertainer ever lived. No one comes close.

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2015 10:09 PM

Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2015 10:11 PM

He was a total closet case to the end.

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2015 10:12 PM

Talented, yes. And also cheekbones for days.

He was also short, had that weird overbite, and had that mass of black chest hair spilling out of his spandex. So 70s!

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2015 10:14 PM

Maybe because he was never gay in the first place? He was bisexual, and that's it.

Also, he was never happy about people knowing he liked men, so... It's no wonder the gay community doesn't particularly care about him.

by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2015 10:14 PM

You're very wrong R7. Raul Esparza is probably the greatest gay singer to ever live.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2015 10:14 PM

Not "we are the champions".

How about "killer queen"?

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2015 10:19 PM

Is there a gay man in music who's been "embraced"? Elton John? George Michael? Barry Manilow? Michael Jackson? Adam Lambert? Ricky Martin? Boy George? Cliff Richard?

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2015 10:19 PM

OP= stealth Lambert frau

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2015 10:20 PM

[quote]He denied he was gay until the bitter end.

Bingo.

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2015 10:21 PM

He was never shy about his sexuality. He used to frequent gay bars in London and pretty every one gay community was aware of his sexuality.And he didn't make his sexuality public because it was fucking 70's and 80's. Popular singers today shit their pants today at the hint of beig gay. Could you imagine coming out in 70's ?

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2015 10:21 PM

I love him. When he sings We Are the Champions, I know he is singing for all of us in the queer community and it always brings tears. We have fought and it is getting better. WE are the champions. This song isn't just a pre-game soccer warm-up for middle-schoolers.

Thank you, Freddie.

Yes, I know - "Mary!"

by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2015 10:26 PM

He was the sexiest Iranian ever!!

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2015 10:26 PM

coz he wouldn't embrace us.

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2015 10:32 PM

They call him Mr. Fahrenheit!

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2015 10:33 PM

He was the sexiest Iranian ever!

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2015 10:35 PM

Gay men as a whole were much more into Elton, Cher, David Bowie, and disco singers back then. It was not some secret Freddie was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2018 6:56 AM

Because he's gross.

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2018 6:57 AM

[quote]He was also short, had that weird overbite, and had that mass of black chest hair spilling out of his spandex. So 70s!

SHORT? Freddie was SIX FEET TALL or taller.

Where the fuck do you get your info? Freddie was tall and naturally slim. The bassist John Deacon is short, he claims to be 5'11". Yet Freddie towers over him here. Yes, they are both wearing platforms shoes, but Freddie was much taller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2018 7:14 AM

I barely knew anything about him until the 1990s or 2000s. None of his songs made me want to buy them, and I bought lots of records, starting in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2018 8:44 AM

I'm an eldergay too, R26. I never paid much attention to pop music because it's so brainless and vulgar. It just seemed stupid that he wanted to latch himself onto Montserrat Caballe. My second husband cried when Freddie Bulsara died but I didn't care.

I've since heard eminent musicologists say that Bulsara had genuine talent in writing 'anthem' pop songs. I'm not quite sure what that means except that they're like Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana' where the composer uses simple words and doesn't distort them.

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2018 9:19 AM

Well, I did listen to popular music then, r27. And he still managed to elude me.

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2018 9:20 AM

Because of you dunderheads who thought we needed four threads on him. I embrace you not.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2018 9:49 AM

Well, an unfortunate DLer did dig up the casket and try to embrace him about 18 months ago. With decomposition, ground water, etc., I think you can imagine it did not go well.

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2018 10:04 AM

OP, We are the champions is a really generic mainstream song, it can be embraced by anyone who's experienced adversity. Some people think Under pressure is more related to being gay and afraid of being out.

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2018 10:19 AM

Because he was ethically Indian and DL hates India.

by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2018 10:26 AM

Closet Queen.

And dose teefs.

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2018 10:39 AM

What's with all these people saying he was cowering in a closet? His costumes, his onstage prancing...the name of the fucking group was QUEEN.

No, he didn't give a press conference about his sexuality. Neither did the Village People. Everybody over the age of 7 knew what was up.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2018 10:39 AM

He was not cowering in the closet, the fact that he didn't come out doesn't mean he was hiding. It's very ridiculous that some people ask artist of the 70's things that nowadyas artist still don't do (90% of mainstream singers are in the closet).

And he was not bi at all, even his wife had that very clear. Being married doesn't mean you are into woman, maybe that's difficult to understand for millenials but older gays should know better

The good thing for him is that he never needed the gay community to embrace him, straights did and still do.

It's very rare the gay artist who is not trashed by gays anyway. People still claim artist need to come out but the support after coming out is not exactly great. Gays generally prefer embrace divas and straights

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2018 10:49 AM

Why should the gay community embrace him though? He never did something for them in terms of fighting for equal rights or even come out.

He was a rock icon who may (more likely) or may not (not likely) have struggled with his sexuality (or as we say today: Sexual identity).

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2018 10:49 AM

[quote]the name of the fucking group was QUEEN

Well it WAS a BRITISH band. And Brian May didn't suck cocks on the down low.

by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2018 10:59 AM

I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2018 11:03 AM

[quote]He denied he was gay until the bitter end.

Why would we embrace him when he didn’t embrace us?

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2018 11:24 AM

He’s very Roy Cohnish—homophobic, died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2018 11:26 AM

He wore his pants too tight.

by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2018 11:29 AM

R40: That's ridiculous and you know it

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2018 11:50 AM

Ill stick to my Liza albums, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2018 11:55 AM

But, that is Roy Cohn-like, R42.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2018 12:00 PM

It doesn't get more gay than this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2018 12:05 PM

R44; No, not at all

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2018 12:14 PM

Enough R46.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2018 12:17 PM

R47: No, not enough. Comparing him with such despicable guy is ridiculous. Maybe this is a forum for bitching but that's a blatant lie

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2018 12:19 PM

Alright, blocked. If you can’t say “gay” because of shame you have when you are gay, you’re a homophobe. Then you die of AIDS. That’s Roy Cohn.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2018 12:22 PM

[quote]Because he was ethically Indian and DL hates India.

For some reason I always thought Freddie was Iranian. I don't think he was technically an Indian.

His real name was Farrokh Bulsara. He was of Parsi descent which points to him being Persian/Iranian. Persians did migrate to India and Pakistan.

"Mercury was born of Parsi descent in Zanzibar, and grew up there and in India before moving with his family to Middlesex, England, in his late teens. He formed Queen in 1970 with guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor."

"A Parsi or Parsee ("Persian" in the Persian language) refers to a member of the Zoroastrian community who migrated to India (mainly; including present day Pakistan) from Persia during the Arab invasion of 636–651 AD; one of two (the other being Iranis) mainly located in India, with a few in Pakistan. The word پارسیان, pronounced "Parsian", i.e., "Parsi" in the Persian language, literally means Persian. Farsi is the official language of modern Iran, which was formerly known as Persia, and the Persian language's endonym is Farsi, an arabization of the word Parsi."

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2018 12:26 PM

R49: No, idiot no. You don't seem to understand even context. He was a star in the 70's and 80's and even if he blatantly denied being gay that wouldn't put him in Roy Cohn's league by any means. You are the typical stupid that seems unable to understand that live is not in black or white

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2018 12:26 PM

That Liza bit may be one of the. most unfortunate covers in all history.

by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2018 12:31 PM

[quote] Popular singers today shit their pants today at the hint of beig gay.

What??! Now everyone is gay!

by Anonymousreply 53November 11, 2018 12:40 PM

R53: Everybody is gay and in the closet, and bearding.

The only difference is that coming out doesn't kill your career, but the number of mainstream singers ready to get the risk is still very very low

by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2018 12:42 PM

R24 Ms Cliff likes them too young doesn't he? He should be on a list with Bryan Singer.

by Anonymousreply 55November 11, 2018 12:43 PM

[quote]ethically Indian

A true Nahasapeemapetilon. One of the good Indians.

by Anonymousreply 56November 11, 2018 1:06 PM

Datalounge hates men who aren't straight while pretending all said beloved straight men are gay or bi. Then if by chance one of those men actually do come out, DL starts to hate them because they only like straight men.

by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2018 11:32 PM

R35, I get your points, but he never married Mary.

I liked how Freddie danced (literally, sometimes) around the gay stuff. He was amusingly flamboyant, then cloney. How much more obvious does one need to be? I never looked up to rock stars as role models, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 12, 2018 11:45 PM

For DL you cann't be into women even if you are fucking two of them at once.

by Anonymousreply 59November 12, 2018 11:49 PM

Seriously even the straights are less biphobic

by Anonymousreply 60November 12, 2018 11:50 PM

Well look how the community did George Michael.

by Anonymousreply 61November 12, 2018 11:53 PM

I think we did him pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 62November 13, 2018 3:41 AM

"He was never shy about his sexuality. He used to frequent gay bars in London and pretty every one gay community was aware of his sexuality."

But not being "shy about his sexuality" isn't really the same thing as being out and proud. He wasn't "out out" - stating he was a gay man, pushing for gay acceptance and rights. Even if he was just bi, he was never out there saying it's okay for men to be with men - something he did. But, you wouldn't expect every gay or bi person to be an activist. Do we really think the gay community never embraced him? He seems to stir positive feelings in a substantive portion of the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 63November 13, 2018 3:49 AM

R31 Freddie was basically out as bisexual for the 1970s and 1980s and like R63 wrote he was not an activist-even though this would have been great had he came out as living with HIV/AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 64November 13, 2018 6:29 AM

R40 huh? He was not on the same level of Roy Cohn at all. Everyone knew Freddie was bisexual, just like how even in the 1970s everyone knew Elton and Liberace are gay.

R35 Freddie Mercury identified as (called himself) bisexual and had a large number of sexual partners both male and female.

This was stated in his obituary linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 13, 2018 6:37 AM

^ That picture is so funny. There two on the right look half-asleep.

And, of course, the three remaining look like dogs now.

by Anonymousreply 66November 13, 2018 7:06 AM

" You are the typical stupid"

This should really be a song title.

Or at least a catch phrase on a sitcom.

Oh, it could be the beginning of ad copy where the announcer shows some schmuck who didn't use the product because they were trying to save a few bucks, but the resulting disaster of the other product will cost them even more money.

But I like the song idea. Maybe Panic at the Disco! can do something with it.

by Anonymousreply 67November 13, 2018 7:13 AM

Meh. Saw some elder straight friends today and stopped to chat. They are smart, cool people. Said they were on the way to see bohemian rhapsody - and we discussed. They heard it was great - as had I. I said I still believed it was a very sanitised version of events thanks to the remaining band members - and when sexuality came up - they were all no, not gay - he was bisexual!!!! Practically screaming it at me.

He had a woman! women! Relationships with women - therefore he was bisexual!! I tried to point out that his later years were entirely orgiastic hedonism - with men! So I’m not sure how bisexual he was by then...

They weren’t having any of it. I pointed out that Elton John was also ‘bisexual’ at that time - but there are some things that even gullible straight people won’t believe. They just laughed and said yeah-right!

So all the straights love Freddie. And suspect this film will secure his claim to very famous bisexuality. Whatever. They can have him.

by Anonymousreply 68November 13, 2018 7:46 AM

Jeez, let the man RIP.

It was a different time when Queen hit the music scene. I reckon many in this thread are millennials.

Even today, you can count the out gay performers on one hand! Off hand I can't think of many. Elton, Bob Mould, the Indigo Girls?! Has Joan Jett actually ever come out?

Everyone else in music who is likely gay claims to be bi.

by Anonymousreply 69November 13, 2018 12:40 PM

R68 doesn't understand human sexuality and bisexuality. A man can be bisexual but have a preference for men like Freddie Mercury, or his sexual and romantic attractions to women can change over time. With Freddie Mercury he was not gay and closeted forcing himself to marry a woman the way Elton and Leonard Bernstein did in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 70November 13, 2018 5:59 PM

[quote]just like how even in the 1970s everyone knew Elton and Liberace are gay.

Not everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 13, 2018 6:11 PM

No mention of Jim Hutton who was Freddie's partner and "husband" for seven years until his death in the article at R65.

by Anonymousreply 72November 13, 2018 7:14 PM

R72 Conrad's "Jim Hutton"?

by Anonymousreply 73November 13, 2018 7:36 PM

can you imagine a rock/pop star trying to get famous while keeping that tragic dental/overbite situation?? It would be unthinkable

by Anonymousreply 74November 13, 2018 7:44 PM

^trying to get famous TODAY^

by Anonymousreply 75November 13, 2018 7:45 PM

[R62] Thanks for proving my point. Freddie is seen as a respectable artist while George Michael is a punch line.

by Anonymousreply 76November 13, 2018 7:51 PM

I wonder if Elton John had died of AIDS instead of Freddie (well, he is a top and not a bottom like freddie was and less promiscuous so thats probably why) if we would be having the same conversation, but switched about Elton John being a raging bisexual. It seems clear to me that Freddie was gay and that he struggled with it. I believe that if he was still alive he would be openly so now. Also, he never married Mary. She believed him to be gay, so the feverent hot het sex that people like to place on their relationhip seems flawed. He was in love with her and desperately wanted to be the man for her, but he just wanted men at the end of the day. I think it only mocks the notion of male bisexuality to have him as its posterchild.......Many of the other women he was 'linked' to have been shown to be nothing more than fag-hags. There is a lot of urban myth that has become 'realtiy' to a lot of the bi pushers on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 77November 13, 2018 7:53 PM

I remember when I first heard about Freddie Mercury's death. I was in one of those stand-up fast tanning booths, training my pasty skin for an upcoming trip to Martinique. There was a morning radio show on, and the DJ mentioned "Frankie Mercury's dead," and his partner DJ said, "He was a fag, wasn't he?" and the 1st DJ said, "Yeah." And the clerk at the counter of the tanning place laughed. I hadn't ever even considered that FM was gay before then.

Queen was a popular group, but was mostly popular with straight identified people. Queen was talented but altogether mainstream in its time. It wasn't something any gay people I knew identified with.

by Anonymousreply 78November 13, 2018 7:55 PM

Mercury was not bi, I know bi erasure is a thing but this is not the case. Brian May has said many times that he never saw Mercury with a girl in his life. Are you delusional queens and fraus telling me that a rock star on a major band with thousands of groupies for free sex never had sex with any? He was a closet case and a petty one. Left all his fortune to his female companion he used as a beard and left almost nothing to his boyfriend who carried him literally on his arms as he died.

by Anonymousreply 79November 13, 2018 7:56 PM

Queen was popular with anyone who likes rock, gay or straight, stop the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 80November 13, 2018 7:57 PM

I’m looking forward to the straight/bisexual Elton John biopic.

by Anonymousreply 81November 13, 2018 8:09 PM

I’m looking forward to the straight/bisexual George Michael biopic.

by Anonymousreply 82November 13, 2018 8:10 PM

When Queen was popular, R80, a lot of gay guys didn't identify with rock music, as it was seen as a breeder thing. Gays were more into more alternative stuff, disco, later punk and new wave. Only the boring ones desperate to fit in cared about anything on FM radio or sold by Columbia House.

by Anonymousreply 83November 13, 2018 8:28 PM

OP, why aren't you directing this question to the bisexual community? Dude wasn't gay.

by Anonymousreply 84November 13, 2018 8:50 PM

[quote] When Queen was popular, [R80], a lot of gay guys didn't identify with rock music,

Says who? Are you that type of queen that thinks gays only like divas and stuff like that? Maybe you should go out more. You're delusional.

by Anonymousreply 85November 13, 2018 8:56 PM

George Michael had amazing pipes. Yes, he was a personal train-wreck. But the pipes were top shelf. As good as Freddie's, at least.

by Anonymousreply 86November 13, 2018 9:18 PM

[quote]When Queen was popular, [R80], a lot of gay guys didn't identify with rock music

I liked some rock. Lots of pop. Hated disco. Queen still made little to no impression on me.

by Anonymousreply 87November 13, 2018 9:19 PM

Mercury was a self-hating closet case.

He also made rock n' roll, whereas gay guys prefer overproduced, corporate pop divas like Taylor Swift and Beyonce remixed to the technometh beat.

by Anonymousreply 88November 13, 2018 9:34 PM

The main boulevard rag here in Germany was really angry that his alleged love affair with his girlfriend wasn't a big topic of the movie, they wanted it to be a main point or the main point of the movie, called her the love of her life; hardly any mention outside of that rag in German media of the movie, it certainly wasn't bisexual enough for German media.

by Anonymousreply 89November 13, 2018 10:14 PM

The Freddie was bi crowd is harmless compared to the trolls on reddit/youtube and other sides claiming that Freddie was straight, got AIDS due to a blood transfusion and that Jim Hutton was just hired help and a vicious liar for claiming that he and Freddie were a couple and they genuinly seem to believe this because Freddie was too "masculine" to be even bi and his relationship with Mary is proof enough that he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 90November 13, 2018 10:41 PM

jesus christ, R78, can you imagine a DjJ saying the same things on air now? It would be fired and toasted forever!

by Anonymousreply 91November 13, 2018 10:55 PM

You're right, R91. It surprised me even at the time, though.

by Anonymousreply 92November 13, 2018 11:54 PM

R87 is fronting. You know she was a big ol' '90s gurl with acid-washed jeans, a puffy shirt, and large, brassy, highlighted and starched hair. She smoked Marlboros (Eves in secret), drank vodka and soda, secretly likes Zima but can't admit it. When you were feeling extra, you put on some turquoise. Puka shells for everyday wear.

Gays did not care about Queen in the '80s and '90s. Queen was the music played at sportsball games. Queen was the music that played in your breeder brother's LTD, either FM radio or 8-track. You wondered why he didn't take better hair of his hair and skin.

No.

by Anonymousreply 93November 14, 2018 12:07 AM

R93, your are fucking CLUELESS!

Anglophile music fans knew about Queen long before US flyover breeders and sports freaks were fans. Anyone who followed new British bands was aware of Queen before most Americans were. Especially music fans who read the UK music press such as Melody Maker. My older brother has every Queen LP starting with their very first LP. In fact, he still has the original UK import copy of their first LP.

Queen's first LP was out in 1973!

Here's "Keep Yourself Alive" from 1973. Terrible video, great song,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 14, 2018 5:08 AM

Here's the HTF edition of Queen's first LP, with the band's name in gold lettering. Subsequent copies had white lettering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 14, 2018 5:12 AM

You go, R94!! Tell 'em!

"You think he's gay?"

This....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 14, 2018 5:15 AM

That's crazy R90 but I am not surprised people on reddit post that BS. Whenever I want to laugh I go to this forum on reddit and read the topics written by elaborate scenario trolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 14, 2018 12:24 PM

R94 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 98November 14, 2018 12:25 PM

Perhaps your perception OP- but no one in my generation. He died in 1991- that’s a long time ago. Ignore the trolls on this thread- the usual losers who turn over rocks demeaning great talent for some reason. I guess they think they’re perfect as they post anonymous bombs.

by Anonymousreply 99November 14, 2018 12:41 PM

This is what it looks like when someone is NOZT embraced by the gay community?

Huh. Can't even imagine what it's like when someone IS embraced by the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 100November 14, 2018 3:42 PM

I am fascinated by Freddie Mercury's teeth. I know they have been mentioned plenty, but god, the man was born with extra rows of teeth! His mom too!

He was so good at covering them up, you never got to see what that really looked like, but I want to see that! I don't know why Just fascinates me.

by Anonymousreply 101November 14, 2018 3:47 PM

Do you think Freddie would have come out?

by Anonymousreply 102November 14, 2018 4:15 PM

I always thought that he was kind of ugly. Great voice though. I read that he had some sort of genetic problem that gave him extra teeth. Hyperdontia or something.

by Anonymousreply 103November 14, 2018 4:32 PM

R102 I thought he didn't come out publicly because his parents asked him not to, because it was not accepted in their culture (I could be wrong though). So I guess it would depend on them.

by Anonymousreply 104November 14, 2018 6:03 PM

He could have just simply been bisexual. Or maybe he was just gay, closeted yes but gay. What I can't understand is the disgust and ridicule this man gets from gay men. "Well he was closeted"....and? So? Not every gay boy and girl, gay man or gay woman has the luxury of living life freely.....even these days. This man was born 1946, think about that. He was Parsi, Zoroastrian. You don't know what his family life was like, what was put into his head, his responsibilities (to his family). ****I came to datalounge to learn more about the gay community.... and some of you are fantastic! A lot of you though are just so judgmental, critical, and so NOT willing to see beyond yourself let alone actually look. OH AND HE WAS STILL FUCKING MEN with his HIV status.....but THAT doesn't bother you in the least?

by Anonymousreply 105November 14, 2018 6:54 PM

Looking back, it seems to me now that dear old Freddie is the only rock ‘n’ roll singer who WASN’T openly bisexual in the ‘70s.

by Anonymousreply 106November 14, 2018 7:21 PM

The gay community simply doesn’t embrace male singers. Period.

by Anonymousreply 107November 14, 2018 7:31 PM

I just read an interview with Barbara Valentin's daughter. Babs was his "BFF" or faghag or whatever you want to call her in Munich. Her daughter said some people assumed they were dating because they would sleep in the same bed and would often hold hands etc but that Freddie was gay & only into men. Photo: Barbara with Freddie and his boyfriend Winnie Kirchberger in the background

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 14, 2018 7:36 PM

[quote] We are the champions is a really generic mainstream song, it can be embraced by anyone who's experienced adversity.

So can "I Am What I Am" as homophobe Gloria Gaynor tries to claim, but the fact is it was written specifically as a gay anthem. Freddie might have written "Champions" as a gay anthem too, the problem is he never said so, which is why it's not been acclaimed as one.

by Anonymousreply 109November 14, 2018 8:08 PM

How about this as a gay anthem?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 14, 2018 8:15 PM

No one came out back then. But he was defiantly flamboyant. In the late 70s / early 80s, fans mailed razors to him and asked him to shave off the mustache because it was "too gay". His management asked him to tone down his style, but he refused. It was like he was sending a huge wink to the rest of the gays, and it went right over the heads of a lot of their straight fans.

Like a lot of gay people in that time, he became very guarded of his personal live and he was obsessed with privacy. After he passed away, even his own bandmates said they didn't know everything about him. If Freddie had come out, not only would it have ended his career (and he'd been playing music since he was a small child), but it would likely also sink the careers of his three bandmates. (Those three men were very supportive of Freddie.)

He was gay. He met Mary when he was very young. On paper, she was the perfect match for him. He just didn't love her, though he tried. When she noticed their relationship was off, she asked him for the truth. He said he might be bisexual. She told him that he was gay instead. He didn't argue. The movie portrays this scene exactly as Mary described it in her interviews. Mary remained his best friend. Just because he had sex or a relationship with a woman when he was younger, that doesn't make him bisexual instead of gay. He was trying to fit in to society while still discovering himself. (The hardest person to come out to is yourself.) Even after he had moved on, he still waxed nostalgic over Mary because she was his first relationship (which he didn't have to hide), and he was with her when he was hitting his creative peak and becoming famous.

My only complaint about him is that he left half of his wealth to Mary and only left Jim Hutton, his lover of seven years, a fraction of that amount. It is kind of interesting, though, that in his very last press statement, the day before he died, he acknowledged that he had AIDS, but he never said anything about being gay.

by Anonymousreply 111November 14, 2018 8:20 PM

I was in high school when Queen was at its peak in the 1970s, and Queen was a popular band among straight guys then. Because they basically played hard rock. I don't even remember any discussion of Freddie's sexual orientation back then. They were just a rock band. Most lead singers were pretty flamboyant during the glam rock/glitter rock era. It wasn't really seen as homosexual, just showbiz. Only years later did the truth come out.

by Anonymousreply 112November 14, 2018 8:24 PM

There is only one gay anthem with which we were blessed by the effervescent, enrapturing Miss Connie Francis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 14, 2018 8:25 PM

I think a lot of Connie's songs were written by gay men:

Now is just the time, While both of us are young, "Puppy love" must have it's day, Don't cha know it's much more fun to love, While the heart is young and gay! Meet me at the car hop, Or at the pop shop, Meet me in the moonlight, Or in the daylight, Pretty little baby, I'm so in love with you!

by Anonymousreply 114November 14, 2018 9:02 PM

R111 Some speculated that he only left 500 000 pounds to Jim Hutton because he knew that Jim had AIDS and thought that he would likely die soon as well.

by Anonymousreply 115November 14, 2018 9:19 PM

R102 he basically did come out publically. There are interviews where he comes out as bisexual, and the obituary also mentions him being bisexual, not that it was some secret.

R111 he was bisexual as he had a sexual attraction to men, women, trannies, and this isn't some secret and all of the other members of queen knew.

by Anonymousreply 116November 14, 2018 9:34 PM

Receipts on the 'trannies'? And people take a modern lense to what was him actually brushing off the homosexual aspect of his sexuality when he claims to have sex with 'everything'. Its not a declaration of his raging pansexuality, its more of a 'light' distraction to the fact he like to be fucked by men. Its not like he could outright declare he was straight at that point, I mean.....

by Anonymousreply 117November 14, 2018 10:25 PM

r166, do you have any links to this stuff? I mean, if he came out as bisexual himself then that pretty much settles it.

by Anonymousreply 118November 15, 2018 12:08 AM

Freddie was not a closet case, his boyfriend was in Queen videos! He was an insanely private man and felt no need to explain his private life to the public.

by Anonymousreply 119December 3, 2018 12:47 AM

R119, If Freddie wasn't a closet case, why did he make his boyfriend stay away from him when they went out?

by Anonymousreply 120December 3, 2018 1:12 AM

He didn't make him 'stay away.' They lived together for years. Hutton was asked to step aside for 'entrances,' as in this one with his friend, Jane Seymour. The pair laughed at rumors of a wedding!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 3, 2018 5:50 AM

"This is for all you crazy faggots out there"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 26, 2018 8:44 PM

He should have left Hutton his possessions since it was Hutton who was his partner in the end and the man who was by his side when he died. He didn’t treat him as a spouse because Mercury was afraid to admit his sexuality. I think his Parsi upbringing was responsible for his failure give his relationship with Hutton the respect it deserved.

I had a Parsi “friend” in college and we had sex for two years (my 1st-2nd, his 3rd-4th). We were together on most nights and weekends, but he kept me separate from his friends and family. He never could admit to them that he was gay. After he graduated, he ignored me completely. I was as devastated as a 20 year old could be, but it allowed me to have more normal friendships/relationships.

I would have to think long and hard about getting emotionally involved with another Parsi guy. I probably wouldn’t.

by Anonymousreply 123December 26, 2018 10:27 PM

R14 Michael Jackson wasn't gay he was a pedo

Cliff Richard is also rumored to be a pedo

by Anonymousreply 124December 28, 2018 11:09 PM

He was a closet case and had a beard Mary Austin Freddie said that her beard was her common-law wife

by Anonymousreply 125December 28, 2018 11:11 PM

R77 Elton is not top

by Anonymousreply 126December 28, 2018 11:13 PM

R122

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 2, 2019 9:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 2, 2019 9:39 PM

Come on some of our elder posters here must have had Freddie, spill!

by Anonymousreply 129January 10, 2019 12:09 AM

There’s a great story about Freddy turning a young rent boys anus inside out . He apparently yelled “send me another,this ones broken”.

by Anonymousreply 130August 23, 2020 1:57 AM

I shit in the Bump Troll's putrid face.

by Anonymousreply 131August 23, 2020 1:59 AM

When the music was popular, I didn't like it. I didn't realize he was gay until 35 years later.

by Anonymousreply 132August 23, 2020 2:00 AM

Because straight people love him. Having a gay icon that even the homophobes love is no fun, it doesn't feel special. More recently the tweenage girl crowd has started creeping on him and the rest of Queen because of the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. Having a gay icon that is already an icon to the rest of the world is bad for the culture.

by Anonymousreply 133August 23, 2020 2:00 AM

R132, What were you listening to at the time? Queens greatest hits are so brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 134August 23, 2020 2:01 AM

Are all the 15 year old girls still obsessed with Him on tumblr?? They refuse to acknowledge that he was a GAY man not bisexual last I checked.

by Anonymousreply 135August 23, 2020 2:02 AM

He didn't deny being gay, he denied he had AIDS up until a day or two before he died.

by Anonymousreply 136August 23, 2020 2:08 AM

[quote][R132], What were you listening to at the time? Queens greatest hits are so brilliant.

r134, my favorite albums in the 1970s were by Linda Ronstadt, Warren Zevon, Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Paul Simon, Todd Rundgren, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, The Cars, and a couple by Bob Dylan. I didn't listen much to radio. I don't know exactly when Queen's greatest hits came out. I was really only barely aware of their existence. I confused or conflated them with Kiss for years.

by Anonymousreply 137August 23, 2020 2:11 AM

R137, Oh wow. You missed out.

by Anonymousreply 138August 23, 2020 2:14 AM

r138 No I didn't, you condescending twat. I still don't like Queen's music. I missed out on nothing.

by Anonymousreply 139August 23, 2020 2:15 AM

R139 needs anger management.

by Anonymousreply 140August 23, 2020 2:16 AM

r140 needs a brain.

by Anonymousreply 141August 23, 2020 2:17 AM

R141, You’re like 100 years old and probably support your fellow golden oldie Joe Biden.

Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 142August 23, 2020 2:20 AM

Why are you being such a cunt, r142, over Queen, FFS? And of course I'm voting for Biden. Who are you voting for?

by Anonymousreply 143August 23, 2020 2:26 AM

Can we cut the crap about him being bisexual!

He was flaming gay. You could see it from Mars. Gay. Gay. Gay. He spent all his spare time cruising for cock and this was well-known.

Mary Austin was his vague attempt at being straight and their "sexual relationship" (which was very infrequent according to her - and we all know why) ended the day he told her he was gay. Repeated: He told her he was gay and their fake relationship ended. He referred to Austin as his only friend and loved her until the end as his friend. They were deeply loving friends - nothing more.

So just cut the crap about Mercury being bisexual. He was gay.

by Anonymousreply 144August 23, 2020 2:27 AM

R143,Nobody because all the good candidates got ruined by the dnc and the billionaires that run it.

by Anonymousreply 145August 23, 2020 2:31 AM

Fortunately, on this thread we can read some smart people like R17 and R35 R36 and R144. Thank you for raising the level. This is not the case for that Trump supporter here R142. Probably a repressed or an impotent. The two generally go hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 146August 23, 2020 2:48 AM

Spot on R35. However Mercury and Austin were never married. When he told her he was gay she ended their "romantic" relationship and later married and had two children. They remained friends for the rest of his life - sometimes intermittently.

“All my lovers asked me why they couldn’t replace Mary, but it’s simply impossible,” Mercury said in a 1985 interview with the New York Post.

“The only friend I’ve got is Mary, and I don’t want anybody else. To me, she was my common-law wife. To me, it was a marriage. We believe in each other, that’s enough for me.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 23, 2020 3:18 AM

From Mary Austin:

The two ended their relationship in 1976 after Mercury, who was publicly closeted, confessed he was bisexual.

“I remember saying to him, ‘No, Freddie, I don’t think you are bisexual. I think you are gay,’ ” Austin told the Daily Mail in a rare ­interview in 2013.

In other words - he was [bold]gay[/bold] and even she knew it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 23, 2020 3:20 AM

"The only friend I’ve got is Mary, and I don’t want anybody else. To me, she was my common-law wife. To me, it was a marriage."

Like a lot of men from conservative cultures, he probably would have been willing to marry her and squeak out a couple of kids, while trolling for all the dick in the world on the side. I wonder if that was ever considered, and if so, which of them decided against it?

Lucky for her it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 149August 23, 2020 7:29 AM

You realize that means you're voting for Trump, don't you, r145?

by Anonymousreply 150August 23, 2020 8:13 AM

[quote] Gay as a Christmas goose, but the sort of screeching, shrieking music that 13-year-old straight boys like.

Speak for yourself. I don't know a single gay who doesn't love Queen. Then again, none of my gay friends like fashion, divas or the crap discussed here on DL, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 151August 23, 2020 8:29 AM

I love Queen but Freddie was an asshole. He left more money to a female friend than the man who stood with him till the moment he died. I hate self hating guys.

by Anonymousreply 152August 23, 2020 8:31 AM

We have to cut out the crap with calling every gay man who ever had a girlfriend bi. A hundred years ago, every man was expected to marry a woman and produce offspring. So what, there were no gays prior to the 1920s?

by Anonymousreply 153August 23, 2020 9:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!