Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sharon Gless' Battle with Alcohol-the Untold Story

[quote]"When I think about this situation, my head goes in circles and the only answer seems to be another glass of wine, another belt of scotch."

[quote]Sharon's drinking became a problem last November, when she put her romance with Hector on hold to start dating Barney, sources confide. It was an especially stressful time for Sharon, because Barney's estranged wife Barbara was a close friend of hers.

[quote]"And because she's so emotionally confused over her romantic problems, she's been eating up a storm, downing plates of pasta. She has put on 25 pounds."

[quote]Tearful Sharon told the pal," I can't stand myself. I'm putting on weight, eating everything in sight, and I can't get this boozing under control.

[quote]"When I come back fit and healthy, I'll decide what I'm going to do about my love life!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 20, 2021 7:03 AM

No one commented yet? Where IS everyone? Ok I'll start.

I start lol'g because of the names, Hector & Barney. I was thinking and picturing Barney Rubble.

by Anonymousreply 1March 7, 2015 8:55 AM

Drinking again? No! Where are her friends? Back to AA today.

by Anonymousreply 2March 7, 2015 11:42 AM

She's struggled with alcohol for decades.

by Anonymousreply 3March 7, 2015 3:55 PM

I can hear the canes stampeding towards this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4March 7, 2015 3:57 PM

How old is this story? The web page linked to looks like it was made in about 1998.

by Anonymousreply 5March 7, 2015 4:00 PM

[quote]How old is this story?

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2015 4:13 PM

That was in the late 1980’s, after Cagney and Lacey’s T.V’s Police Drama ended. She was involved with Hector Figueroa on and off for 5 years. She stopped dating Hector to date Barney Rosenzweig. Then Barney went back to his wife. She wanted both but ‘had’ to choose. She started drinking more as she also played her alcoholism character Cagney. Her agent took her to dinner and told her she had a problem with alcohol. She went to Hazaldon Treatment Center for 7 weeks. Came back went back to acting and then married Barney in the 1990’s. She’s about 77 now and still acting. The End, whew, lmao. 2/25/2021

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2021 9:22 PM

I always liked Gless and never fully understood why her career took such a nosedive after Cagney & Lacey. And I wondered why she'd bother doing Queer As Folk, which felt a bit like slumming.

The alcoholism explains a lot.

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2021 9:30 PM

It's hard finding work for actresses over 40 and even harder finding good work, and that show with an anti-gay slur in its name wasn't it.

by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2021 9:31 PM

She sounds like a typical boozy drama queen actress to me.

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2021 9:38 PM

Seriously... bump a 2015 thread about a story from 1988?

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2021 9:40 PM

Sounds like Sharon had a hungry vagina.

by Anonymousreply 12February 26, 2021 9:42 PM

Who was the freak show that linked a 30-year-old story as if it were news?

by Anonymousreply 13February 26, 2021 9:46 PM

[quote] "She wanted both but ‘had’ to choose."

I've always liked her, but how fucking selfish can one woman be? I know, she's an actress, and they can be very entitled. But really?! Both guys should have left her in the dust, at that point.

by Anonymousreply 14February 26, 2021 9:53 PM

Lmao... many comments ;) the lady, actress, actor, person whatever you call her is still alive! She will be 77 on May 31, 2021 Wikipedia. She is writing her autobiography that is suppose to come out in the spring of 2021. At least she has a history that many people know and enjoy hearing/reading about. Many of us will not be even be a foot note to the masses. but I guess some people have time, money and a curiosity to read and comment on any matter in the world of social media. I believe as my mother said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Keep the comments coming !!!!

by Anonymousreply 15March 20, 2021 6:55 AM

Wasn't she the last actress to ever be placed under contract with a studio? Or was that Susan St. james?

by Anonymousreply 16March 20, 2021 7:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!