Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Bowie Fans- Do you think he was really a "closet heterosexual" the entire time?

For somebody to make a statement like that seems to be a bit of a dick move.

How many fans did he lose with that one?

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2019 9:49 AM

Bowie is a fantastic artist and a trail blazer. He pushed his gender presentation in extreme and amazing ways. Those images of him from the seventies still look fresh and avant-garde. Who cares what his orientation was. God knows he didn't give a shit if people thought he was queer.

by Anonymousreply 1February 5, 2015 10:30 PM

He made a lot of dick moves when he was younger, with all sorts of people.

Did he have a fling with Mick Jagger, or did they just share boys and girls?

by Anonymousreply 2February 5, 2015 10:30 PM

Yes. I believe he was hetero but curious and at the time people were transitioning;) from a hippy dippy free love philosophy, which ironically was pretty herteronormative, to an edgier and more experimental exploration of sexuality. Whew! He decided to experiment with Jagger because they were friends and he trusted him. That doesn't really make him bisexual. They just happened to be caught by Bowie's big mouthed wife at the time. She's the one who talked. Elton John was not bisexual either even though he was married to a woman. No doubt his hag.

by Anonymousreply 3February 5, 2015 10:54 PM

This is why I love the Brits...

In the US, only us lesbians have to deal with straights pretending to be bi/gay. But if a guy is the slightest bit gay, you can feel confident he's 100% gay.

England is the only place the gay guys occasionally get a taste of dealing with attention-whore-sexuals.

by Anonymousreply 4February 5, 2015 10:56 PM

He was a user. He would do anything to be famous. Did you see his early attempts at being the new Anthony Newley?

He married his american wife to get a visa. He couldn't stand her. He used Muck Jagger and he used bisexuality to push the envelope and stay in the spotlight.

I think it's hilarious that he is worshipped in the UK, but he's lived in NYC for about 30 years. He couldn't even be bothered to go back for the London Olympics. Even Ray Davies, a closet New Yorker, showed up for that gig. They begged Bowie to return and appear on the Olympic stage, but he refused.

by Anonymousreply 5February 5, 2015 10:59 PM

There's an interview he gave with Flo & Eddie back in the late 1970s where he pings so hard it breaks the ping meter. I think he has a very strong gay side but has never truly accepted it.

by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2015 11:05 PM

I believe he had an ongoing fling with Mick Jagger, for a long time, not just the one-nighter Angela Bowie reported in her book (and later retracted). I believe it was mutual between Bowie and Jagger. But like Aaron and Kevin, they'll never talk about it...

by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2015 11:07 PM

He chose to produce Lulu at one time. Of course he had gay tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2015 11:10 PM

You know how lesbians have LUGs(lesbian until graduation). Bowie is like kinda like the male equivalent of that a HUG(homo until graduation).No matter according to his ex-lovers he always liked black woman. Quite the irony that he ended up with someone with man in her name.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2015 11:11 PM

Honey, David was all over the place

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2015 11:12 PM

Bowie doesn't perform publicly any more, except for very rare appearances at benefit events such as Fashion Rocks or Neil Young's Bridge School concerts. In 2004 Bowie had a heart attack immediately after a concert in Germany and almost died from it. Since then he has kept his music career far on the back burner and made his health and family life his top priority. He's already rich enough that he never needs to work again anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2015 11:12 PM

Why exactly should David Bowie go to The Olympics? He's bigger than The Olympics. I also love that he turned down a knighthood from The Queen. David is bigger than all that garbage.

DB is the real deal. He didn't follow existing categories, he destroyed them.

by Anonymousreply 12February 5, 2015 11:14 PM

Bowie was never truly gay. There are tons of groupies who fucked him over the years and they were all female.

I think he was and is genuinely attracted to gay men's contribution to culture, to gender bending, glam rock, fashion, the avant garde, etc. He's a straight man who admired and was influenced by gay men and how they perceive the world.

But he wasn't gay himself because he likes cunt, not cock.

by Anonymousreply 13February 5, 2015 11:21 PM

I admire him for always just doing his thing, then basically saying, "This is my thing, take it or leave it," as opposed to trying to calculate what will sell, like so many recording artists and producers do. It hasn't always worked for him, and I don't think he ever came close to matching his early 1970s peak period, but at least he never git stuck on a formula, and always just did his thing whatever it was.

by Anonymousreply 14February 5, 2015 11:22 PM

I made out with David Bowie in the classic film, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and I have to say he wasn't a very good kisser, it was too clinical, almost like he was cleaning my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 15February 5, 2015 11:25 PM

Regardless of whether he is straight, bi or gay, there's no argument against the fact that he is extremely effeminate, in manners, dress and attitude.

by Anonymousreply 16February 5, 2015 11:26 PM

[quote] Bowie doesn't perform publicly any more, except for very rare appearances at benefit events such as Fashion Rocks

The London Olympics was a rare event. It was a historical event. When do you suppose the next Olympics in London will be? Likely not in Bowie's lifetime. I think ithe Olympics was a bit more momentous than Fashion Rocks. It was the UK's time to shine on the global stage and Bowie blew them a raspberry.

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2015 11:29 PM

I think he faked being gay, just like Brett Anderson of Suede did. But Bowie certainly influenced all these 70's queens who were baby questionings to go the full hog.

by Anonymousreply 18February 5, 2015 11:32 PM

David Bowie was never gay, it was all an act, although he has topped a few queens as a youth.

He may have pounded Mick Jagger in the ass but Bowie does not take penis in the butt, or give head.

Bowie talked about being bisexual for publicity, and it worked, it made him famous, but he also received death threats and couldn't tour parts of the south.

Bowie admired the flamboyance of the gay culture but that's it, and he stole most of Wayne County's act anyway, so whatever.

by Anonymousreply 19February 5, 2015 11:38 PM

"But he wasn't gay himself because he likes cunt, not cock."

He likes cunt AND cock. He's bi

by Anonymousreply 20February 5, 2015 11:41 PM

R19 He has said that his claim of being bi-sexual, and that he and his then wife Angela met while they were "...laying the same bloke", was made up for shock value. Probably true.

Bowie always had this androgynous thing going on. When I was a kid I always thought he looked like Helen Reddy.

But I always thought it was very convenient that he retracted his statements regarding his sexuality when the AIDS crisis was going full force. Just as Elton John conveniently married a woman at the height of the AIDS crisis.

Someone close to The Beatles' inner circle described John Lennon as ambi-sexual (sp.?), or someone willing to experiment (Lennon would sometimes have three ways, him, another dude and a female).

I'm willing to bet that Bowie would fall into that category too.

by Anonymousreply 21February 5, 2015 11:51 PM

I just finished Angie Bowie's entertaining 1993 memoir - she says he was bi, but more active with women than men.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2015 12:17 AM

He was a cokehead, which inspired promiscuity, but does not define a person.

David Bowie is straight, now that he is clean.

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2015 12:21 AM

Not buying this at all. He's bi. He's extremely effete, he was very promiscuous in the 1970s, he outed himself as bi at one point (then redacted it) and even Angela spilled the tea about him and Jagger (then of course redacted it). He didn't pretend to be bi just for the publicity. He is bi. Though apparently the gay part of it is all in the past now. And as with so many others, the gay part just sort of no longer exists (Tony Danza, I'm not talking about you).

At the London Olympics opening ceremony they did show a picture of him and played a few seconds of "Starman." It's very Bowie-esque of him to blow off something like the Olympics. He probably just swished his hands around the air saying, "Oh bother. Such a dreadful bother. All that bother." Then parted his hair like a girl and just went back to sippping a cup of chamomile tea and staring at a Kenneth Anger film on the TV. His assistant just says, "Right then, well, I'll just let them know you won't be available..." and quietly shuts the door.

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2015 12:26 AM

David Bowie had sex with 13 year-old Lori Maddox. Scummy guy, but that did not stop him from rising to the top of his profession and raking in millions.

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2015 12:27 AM

If they ever make a biopic about Bowie, Tilda Swinton should play him.

by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2015 12:31 AM

Seems bi, leaning gay to me

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2015 12:32 AM

No, one of the Treadaway twins.

by Anonymousreply 28February 6, 2015 12:35 AM

Sting was a cokehead too.

Which explains him having a big enough ego to allow a film crew film the birth of one his children in that "Into The Night" documentary about, who else, himself.

I am grateful that him and his ego have clamed down since those days.

by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2015 12:42 AM

[quote] Someone close to The Beatles' inner circle described John Lennon as ambi-sexual (sp.?), or someone willing to experiment (Lennon would sometimes have three ways, him, another dude and a female).

And who was this "someone"?

by Anonymousreply 30February 6, 2015 12:42 AM

He's like most (real) bisexual men: They think it's fine while they're young, but then when they're ready to settle down, the reject their gay side and go straight and marry a woman because they want the easier life. This is why you should never get too attached to bisexuals.

by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2015 12:44 AM

I don't understand why performing at the a London Olympics is such a big deal to some people here. The endless rehearsals, the politics, the costume fittings, the rules and regulations. Who could be bothered. His rich enough, already has a huge fan base, probably has no desire to aquire more fans when he's looking to live a more quiet life. Frankly the whole production would be way too much effort for 5 minutes of performing. I can see why he turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2015 12:46 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2015 12:54 AM

I've known many a straight man to turn a bit gay when they are coked up. drugs are funny things. I guess that makes them bi, but they are more straight then gay by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2015 12:54 AM

olympic ceremonies are tacky - who would want be involved?

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2015 12:55 AM

thought maybe he was bi? love his music, have most on my ipod

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2015 3:10 AM

No he was bisexual and it's not some secret. His management during the 1980s once HIV/AIDS happened tried to give him a more "hetero" image but they did this with all of the out bisexual rockers like Freddie Mercury, Iggy Pop, and Lou Reed. But Bowie's music was amazing and his acting was not that bad either.

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2019 11:57 PM

He was bit but preferred women. The male equivalent to the modern bi woman who hooks up with other women in college but marries a man.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2019 9:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!