Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joseph Kearns of "Dennis the Menace"

Home from work early and watching the 1950s "Dennis the Menace" on Antenna TV.

It's been years since I've seen it, but it never occurred to me how obviousy gay Joseph Kearns, who played Mr. Wilson, was.

In the comic strip, he was a paunchy, grouchy old man, but here he was the biggest fussbudget KA-WEEN of all time.

He puts the "Mary!" into the Merry Christmas Marathon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2019 11:59 PM

He was also the doorknob in [italic]Alice in Wonderland[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2014 10:35 PM

There's a scene where Mr. Wilson crawls into the basement window and falls to the floor. It's actually a funny fall but Kearns got hurt. They sent him home where he promptly dropped dead.

by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2014 11:15 PM

R2 "Accidents" happen.

by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2014 11:22 PM

Unfortunately they had to fire the actress playing his wife because they thought the audience would find it scandalous and creepy her living with her brother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 4December 25, 2014 2:17 AM

Kearns brought a lot of warmth to the Mr. Wilson character that was missing when Gale Gordon took over. It was like Kearns really cared about what happened to Dennis, while Gordon was just aggravated by him.

by Anonymousreply 5December 25, 2014 2:22 AM

Did he really die from that accident on the set?

by Anonymousreply 6December 25, 2014 2:28 AM

It was probably related. Kearns went home, which he shared with his mother, and promptly died of a cerebral hemorrhage.

by Anonymousreply 7December 25, 2014 2:39 AM

R8 is an attention-troll; please ignore him or F&F.

by Anonymousreply 9December 25, 2014 4:03 PM

You obviously don't share his "high standards".

by Anonymousreply 10December 25, 2014 4:04 PM

R8 Was he known as Great Uncle Bottom?

by Anonymousreply 11December 25, 2014 4:43 PM

I don't think he died from that fall or b/c of it, but I'm too lazy to wiki him.

The lady who played Martha was married something like six times in real life. Interesting.

Mary Wickes played Miss Cathcart, a funny, man hungry neighbor, several times. Alice Pearce also played an old maid type at least once, and she lived in the future Bewitched house.

Dennis's friend Tommy died in real life fairly young. So did his tv dad, who was quite a hunk when he was a young man.

by Anonymousreply 12December 25, 2014 4:56 PM

Herbert Anderson, the dad, died at age 77. Bill Booth, who played Tommy died at age 57. I think Joseph Kearns' Mr Wilson is one of the funniest TV characters ever, so of course it was devastating to the show that he died unexpectedly. He and Jay North together were the true stars of this classic sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 13December 25, 2014 5:06 PM

Kearns never married.

by Anonymousreply 14December 25, 2014 5:17 PM

He did R12 Kearns, who never married or had any children, died of a cerebral hemorrhage[4] during the third season of Dennis the Menace at the age of 55. He died on February 17, 1962, five days after having turned 55.

Gee R8 I'm sorry your uncle fell down and broke his crown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 25, 2014 7:51 PM

I read in some books years back that he was trying to lose weight and was on liquid diet of Metracal. It was a diet drink that a lot ppl got sick from

by Anonymousreply 16December 25, 2014 7:54 PM

Interesting TV Guide article about Kearns.

He was very proud of his organ.

The last DTM episode that aired before his death was called "Where There's a Will" wherein Mr. Wilson explains to Dennis that when he passes away, Dennis will get his gold watch.

His last filmed episode was broadcast May 6, 1962, and the insufferable Gordon showed up three episodes later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 25, 2014 9:11 PM

What a fucked up way to die! Why wasn't he sent to a hospital for observation? They just sent him home to let his mother take care of him?

Sound exactly the same as Natasha Richardson's death.

Joseph Kearns died far to young and was way under-appreciated. He was one of the best character actors of all time. Check out any old TV shows from the '40's-'50's and you're apt to see Joe Kearn as a guest.

by Anonymousreply 18December 25, 2014 9:39 PM

The kid who played Tommy was the cutest kid on TV. Ever. The dad had classic big dick face.

by Anonymousreply 19December 25, 2014 10:20 PM

R8, you tight-sphinctered, inartuculate twat, your precious great uncle worked as an actor for decades. There's no question that he associated with gays. Gays often work in entertainment, Pumpkin. Whether or not he spilled his seed on them is a matter of debate. You should be glad he is being discussed here because we are among the few demographics who even remember this C-list character actor. I seriously doubt 1 Million Moms or The Church of Christ Who, Incidentally, Wasn't Born on December 25 have discussions about this quickly-forgotten Screen Gems star who died a grown man living with his mama.

by Anonymousreply 20December 25, 2014 10:38 PM

If you check out the last of his filmed episodes "The Man Next Door", although there is a fall through the window, it is obviously a stuntman taking the fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 26, 2014 2:01 AM

Massive cock hound.

Big Nixon supporter.

by Anonymousreply 22December 26, 2014 2:17 AM

Joesph Kearns died at 55 unmarried and living in his mother home ?

GAY! GAY GAY!

by Anonymousreply 23December 26, 2014 2:30 AM

Why there's not a cynical, sour, supercilious affectation to be found in that big hunk of str8 man.

Heavens !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 26, 2014 2:50 AM

Gale Gordon really wasn't very good as a replacement.

by Anonymousreply 25December 26, 2014 4:28 AM

[quote]I read in some books years back that he was trying to lose weight and was on liquid diet of Metracal. It was a diet drink that a lot ppl got sick from.

He should've tried my watermelon diet!

by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2014 4:45 AM

I liked when Miss Cathcart would pop up.

Dennis: Can I watch you spin?

Miss Cathcart: Spin?

Dennis: Yeah, I heard my dad say you're a spinster!

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2014 3:16 AM

I bet he was a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2014 3:19 AM

Remember when Hollywood was more than some half-baked Jewish guys' kids?

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2014 2:21 PM

[quote]Remember when Hollywood was more than some half-baked Jewish guys' kids?

You mean when it was actually run by Jews and not Scientologists?

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2014 2:37 PM

Joseph Kearns was gay. He lived with a partner, and there was a house on his property that the partner would retreat to whenever someone came over. Those were the times, unfortunately. Sadly, Mr. Kearns never put together a will, so when he died, relatives he hardly knew glommed onto his belongings. He did die suddenly of a stroke, but it had nothing to do with a fall he took on the set. He was a very funny character actor and it is too bad he did not live to see an America where 37 states allow same sex marriage -- a great progression from having to hide your partner in a nearby house when someone came to visit.

by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2015 12:52 AM

I don't care if Joe Kearns was gay or not. He was absolutely one of the best character actors of all time. I remember two Dennis the Menace shows vividly: One where he goes to show Dennis how to sit in a go-kart to go faster and he actually begins speeding down the hill. Another where he's taking a picture of everyone and starts walking backward to get a better angle and falls into a water fountain. Funny stuff.

I wish he had given interviews back in the day. I would have enjoyed seeing or reading what the real Joseph Kearns was really like.

by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2015 8:42 PM

"Gale Gordon really wasn't very good as a replacement."

Gale Gordon did bluster well, but that's about it. He was very one-note.

by Anonymousreply 33May 13, 2015 8:54 PM

Gale Gordon was by all accounts a real mensch.

Very unlike his TV characters.

Married to the same WOMAN for over 50 years. No kids.

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2015 9:05 PM

And Gordon did resemble the comic strip Mr. Wilson more. But Kearns was so much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 35May 13, 2015 9:21 PM

[quote]You should be glad he is being discussed here because we are among the few demographics who even remember this C-list character actor

This. This is what I love about DL.

by Anonymousreply 36May 13, 2015 9:46 PM

Speaking of Lucille Ball, Joseph Kearns also played the "phys-i-a-chia-trist" who tried to cure Lucy of her kleptomania. He also played the theater manager in the "ILL" episode where the gang goes to see "The Most Happy Fella."

by Anonymousreply 37May 13, 2015 9:56 PM

So sad the way he died.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2018 11:22 PM

Eldergays, how shocking was it at the time when Jay North showed his bare ass in a movie?

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2018 11:25 PM

My sister said she could tell he was a big ol' queen by the way he held his wrist.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2018 11:26 PM

My mom used to call Joe Kearns, "Queen For A Day"! She's hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2018 11:32 PM

He was apparently a devout Mormon as well.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2019 12:08 PM

Yet Walt Disney could cast both him and the actually gay Richard Haydn in [italic]Alice in Wonderland[/italic] while making the Mad Hatter Jewish and the March Hare Italian.

by Anonymousreply 43May 11, 2019 12:30 PM

Watched a few Dennis the Menace reruns.

Kearns would ping from outer space.

by Anonymousreply 44May 11, 2019 10:24 PM

I just realized he was only in his early 50s when he shot Dennis the Menace. As a kid, he seemed at least 70 to me.

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2019 10:51 PM

I always got him confused with Joseph K Vern and Joseph V Kern.

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2019 11:26 PM

[quote]he was only in his early 50s when he shot Dennis the Menace.

"Gee Mr. WIlson, why do you have a gun?"

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2019 11:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!