Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christmas Horror Movies

I am an Atheist who celebrates a secular Christmas. On Christmas I love to watch holiday-themes horror movies. Does anyone know of any good ones? The only recent one I have found is Silent Night but it looks bad from the trailer. I hear that the movie Sint from the Netherlands is good. It's about Santa killing people when Christmas falls on a full moon.

Post your favorite holiday-themed horror movies. You can also include Winter-themed horror movies as well.

by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2019 8:49 AM

1.The Shining 2.The Wiz 3.Thank God it's Friday 4.Xanadu 5.Earthquake

by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2014 10:04 PM

Original Black Christmas is the best one. Period.

by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2014 10:12 PM

Black. Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2014 10:16 PM

Gremlins? I mean, Spike was threatening and all...

by Anonymousreply 4December 25, 2014 2:42 AM

The trailer for this flick looks great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 25, 2014 3:02 AM

Black Christmas, easily.

by Anonymousreply 6December 25, 2014 5:07 AM

You're Next is very well done.

by Anonymousreply 7December 25, 2014 5:49 AM

Another vote for the original Black Christmas (with Margo Kidder!)

There was a slasher pic years ago called "You'd Better Watch Out," which I think was about a killer Santa Claus, but I've never seen it,

There's a great murder mystery called "Home for the Holidays" with Sally Field, Eleanor Parker, Julie Harris, that was a TV movie in the early 1979s. I don't know if it's on YouTube or dvd.

by Anonymousreply 8December 25, 2014 6:04 AM

You're Next is good. Blood Snow is good. I've yet to see the sequel though.

by Anonymousreply 9December 25, 2014 6:54 AM

The "Silent Night, Deadly Night" series is trashy fun. I'm partial to part 5 with Mickey Rooney (!) as a demented toy maker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 25, 2014 10:00 AM

R10, is that the one with Allyce "Ms. Dipesto" Beasley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 25, 2014 10:18 AM

"Home for the Holidays' is on youtube. It's also available on some of those 10/20/50 horror movie packs you find in the dump bins at Walmart and Best Buy.

I watched it recently and enjoyed it. But even though it's set at Christmas it doesn't really have any kind of Christmas vibe to it. Other than a Christmas tree in some background shots it could take place on any dark, stormy night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 25, 2014 10:27 AM

Beasley is in part 4, r11.

by Anonymousreply 13December 25, 2014 10:32 AM

Love, Actually

by Anonymousreply 14December 25, 2014 10:32 AM

"Christmas Evil" is another great, weird one, but without a doubt, the king of weird Christmas horror is 1982's "Bloodbeat." The plot? A college girl accompanies her boyfriend to his family's home in rural Wisconsin for Christmas. There, his artist mother has psychic visions, and the house is suddenly under siege by the spirit of a Japanese samurai warrior. It truly has to be seen to be believed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 19, 2019 5:21 AM

If terror qualifies for this thread, "The Silent Partner" (from 1978) is great. It's not specifically a Christmas movie, but the story begins at Christmastime, with Santa preparing to rob a bank.

Here's the original trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 19, 2019 5:38 AM

Silent Night, Deadly Night from 1984 was actually a well made slasher. I find movie trailers to be deceiving. Some are awful while the movies are good. And some sell the movie, but the movie ends up being terrible.

Part 1 is great to watch late on a cold night. I find it was very creepy and the acting was better than most slasher fare from that era. And the music was effective.

There’s also Silent Night Bloody Night with Mary Woronov and James Patterson. Not bad. But rather slow going.

by Anonymousreply 17December 19, 2019 6:23 AM

SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT is so bad it’s good. It’s worth watching just for the cheese and the hilarious mistakes they make. Robert Brian Wilson is the hottest horror villain ever — perhaps the hottest guy in a horror flick! There’s an extensive sex scene full of his eye candy. Don’t bother with the sequels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 19, 2019 6:51 AM

But the best one is the original BLACK CHRISTMAS. It’s a proto-slasher, the first time a famous urban legend was set to film and it was made by people who knew what they were doing.

The remakes are garbage. The original is a very influential classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 19, 2019 7:03 AM

In recent years, KRAMPUS gained good reviews and a bit of a following.

It’s funny and based on the traditional folklore of the Germanic countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 19, 2019 7:07 AM

There is an anthology movie from 1972 called Tales From the Crypt that includes a short segment called And All Through the House. The segment takes place at Christmas and is very campy and funny starring Joan Collins. I watch this segment only, I wish they had built a full length feature around it. The segment starts around 10 minutes in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 19, 2019 7:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 19, 2019 7:46 AM

The original "Black Christmas" (1974) had some very disturbing obscene phone calls. This is the first one.

Look for Margot Kidder, Olivia Hussey, and Andrea Martin playing sorority sisters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 19, 2019 8:36 AM

I think 'Krampus' is fun, and 'A Christmas Horror Story' which is an anthology of shorts, featuring a buff Krampus in one of the shorts.

Christmas horror tends to lean towards the campier stuff, but there's a Finnish film called 'Rare Exports' that has some properly creepy bits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2019 8:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!