Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The early 60s tv show Route 66 is getting remade!

I wonder how that old queen George Maharis feels about this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2020 9:46 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2014 12:29 AM

Martin Milner is still alive, too, but Glenn Corbett is no longer with us.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2014 12:40 AM

Marty and George's characters used to share a bed in some of the eps. Would network dare go there today?

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2014 12:42 AM

Too bad Martin Milner didn't share a bed with Kent McCord for at least one scene on Adam 12.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2014 1:46 AM

Martin Milner was cute. I have seen a few of the episodes when I visit my mother (on ME TV, I think), and what I like is that they each present a slice of America in the days before fast travel was available to the masses. So you see a distinct regional culture. The two leads also treated minorities with respect and had good-hearted humor.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2014 1:50 AM

Are they actually going on Route 66 again, or someplace else? Because some of it is well kept, some areas roll through near ghost towns with horribly in-maintained roads full of potholes and washboard pavement. Parts of Route 66 in California have been superceded by larger highways, and the old route is pretty much deserted.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2014 2:18 AM

"Ill-maintained."

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2014 2:25 AM

I know the shot with the horse is genuine but are the rest REALLY George Maharis?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2014 2:34 AM

Alternate "horse" shot.

Quite big dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2014 2:36 AM

I watched the series on Netflix a few years ago (I think they had three of the four seasons). It was a bit uneven, but some of the early episodes were interesting. They did not have clean cookie cutter endings and many of the characters were presented in shades of gray. As the series progressed it became more preachy with the leads often spouting moral platitudes. George also seemed to be a bit more manic as time went on and was wondering if there might have been some substance abuse behind the scenes.

Speaking of George, the second season was probably the peak for gratuitous beefcake shots. He was often in brief style swimming trunks, even in the hotel room when others were dressed. There definitely seemed to be a couple of shots that seemed to be focused on a rather nice ass in a swim suit that looked like black underwear.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2014 2:37 AM

Until recently, I never realized Martin Milner was also a child actor and in his teens, played opposite Miss Elizabeth Taylor in Life With Father.

Yeah -- that was him!

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2014 2:40 AM

Martin Milner was SO cute and sexy in his day...and I'm not usually partial to squirrel cheeked blonds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2014 2:42 AM

I remember George Maharis going on Carson (I was little ok? Like 6 months old, give me a break! LOL) and he said that his mother loved the pics. He said that his mother had sort of been wondering what had happened since his diaper days, and now she knows! Carson loved that.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2014 2:44 AM

How is Maharis holding up these days? He must be 85 or so

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2014 2:45 AM

He was so cute.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2014 2:55 AM

[quote]Too bad Martin Milner didn't share a bed with Kent McCord for at least one scene on Adam 12.

Both were fucking hot (especially McCord), so I certainly wouldn't have minded.

I've posted in other threads about the series that I always felt the Milner character (Pete Malloy) was secretly gay due to the fact he rarely showed any interest in women (despite Reed's many attempts to hook him up), but of course being the late 60s, that hidden subtext was never considered by audiences (or the network for that matter, which would've insisted his character be rewritten otherwise).

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2014 2:57 AM

No r16 -- people had gotten over the post ww2 marriage mania by the late 60s and for a while, people uninterested in marriage were free to be single.

Now that we've regressed (thanks to women and gays) suddenly there is talk of "subtext" that wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2014 3:02 AM

Like Milner's Pete in Adam 12, wasn't God forbid not sexy at all Jack Webb's character in Dragnet unmarried? I always got the same vibe about him- probably a bitter closet queen who liked to go around gay clubs and beat up a queen.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2014 11:04 AM

Don't forget my sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2014 12:08 PM

Glenn Corbett was so good looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2014 12:15 PM

No, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2014 12:22 PM

You gals are slippin'. More than 20 posts and no mention of MM co-starring with Bette Davis? He played the potential son-in-law , in "The Catered Affair." Screenplay by Gore Vidal. They don't come much gayer.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2014 12:34 PM

r17, the average age at first marriage in the 60s was something like 22 years old....maybe you have heard of statistics.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2014 3:05 PM

Marty was also in the classic "The Sweet Smell of Success."

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2014 4:45 PM

Hollywood actor George Maharis (b. 1928) was arrested November 21, 1974 and charged with committing a sex act with a male hairdresser in the men's room of a gas station in Los Angeles.

46 years old at the time, Maharis was booked on a sex perversion charge and released on $500 bail. Six years earlier Maharis had been arrested by a vice squad officer for lewd conduct in the restroom of a Hollywood restaurant; the officer said Maharis made a pass at him.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2014 5:44 PM

Milner died in 2015

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2019 9:27 PM

You girls really are slipping. Milner was in the gayest movie of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2019 9:41 PM

You bumped a five year old thread for THAT?

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2019 9:43 PM

So, was the show get remade? I haven't seen anything about a rebooted Route 66 anywhere. I would definitely watch it, especially if the beefcake were prime.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2019 10:33 PM

Well I guess that show never got remade.

In the 60s, car culture was underway after Eisenhower built the interstate highway system. Endless road met endless sky. No traffic jams yet.

Traveling Route 66 became a thing. It had been the only way to cross the USA and there was nostalgia for the old route after it was bypassed by the “new” America.

The space race was underway at the same time Jim Crow was happening. Prewar and post-WW2 were mixed for a while.

In some rural parts of 1960 America, the 1930s depression era was just ending. The hillbillies were moving to Beverly & the cool cats were traveling the backroad country. Acid had yet to be dropped. The leads were pre-hippies & probably would’ve ended up in SF in time for the Summer of Love if they’d been born a few years later than they were.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2020 10:36 PM

Wow, George Maharis kept getting hepatitis & had to leave the show. No wonder his career didn’t go far. They knew where that hepatitis was coming from.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2020 9:02 PM

I love the story that Maharis had a succession of wigs for the month, to give the impression that his hair was growing.

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2020 9:10 PM

You know how bitch fags can be!

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2020 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!