Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Celebrity Autobiographies

Shelley Winters' two memoirs, Shelley, aka Shirley and Shelley II, Lauren Bacall's By Myself and Candace Bergen's Knock Wood.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2018 7:38 PM

The Moon's a Balloon and Bring On the Empty Horses, David Niven.

by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2014 12:47 PM

This has been done to death on DL.

Do a search next time, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2014 12:53 PM

R2 seems to think that not only looking like an elephant but having the memory of one excuses her from the solipsist notion that only she can determine how much is too much.

Hey, cunt, go drop your pachyderm shit on the Damon, bubble asses and yellow skin threads if you really want to do something - which likely isn't the case.

Someone wants to post something half-literary and you shart? Eat your shit, cunt.

And, OP, I've always been partial to Sophie Tucker's "Some of These Days" and Harold Clurman's "Lies Like Truth." I like Winters' books, too.

But the best is "Little Me: The Intimate Memoirs of that Great Star of Stage, Screen and Television, Belle Poitrine" (as told to Patrick Dennis). It says it all.

Otto Friedrich's "City of Nets" isn't autobiographical but it's a great film book on the 1940s.

Thanks for the interesting thread, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2014 7:37 PM

Actress

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2014 7:39 PM

Just read James Garner's autobiography and it had a little dirt in it on some of the actors he worked with

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2014 8:13 PM

I was surprised by what a good read David Lee Roth's memoir turned out to be. I'm not sure the Go-Gos really passed him around like a party joint, but it was a fun anecdote nonetheless. Great summer read, even if you're not a Van Halen fan.

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2014 8:30 PM

I read Geri Jewel's autobiography "I'm Walking as Straight as I Can." Worth a read. She played Blair's cousin with cerebral palsey on the Facts of Life and talks about her disability and coming out as a lesbian while she was living with Lisa Whelchel. Lisa walked in on Geri while she was having sex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2018 6:29 PM

I also read Alison Arngrim's book "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2018 6:32 PM

One More Time by Carol Burnett

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2018 6:33 PM

R1- Bring on the Empty Hussies SUCKED!!!!! You are probably the same person who recommended it years ago!

It was completely boring (but well written) and the only good stuff was about the chick from Gone With The Motherfucking Wind

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2018 6:34 PM

Has anyone read "Run Holly Run"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2018 6:37 PM

Cherie Currie's book "Neon Angel" is really good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2018 6:38 PM

Haywire

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2018 6:38 PM

Haywire bathrooms hayward, detailing her dysfunctional childhood with parents, actress Margaret Sullavan and father, agent to the stars Leland Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2018 6:39 PM

Underneath It All by Traci Lords

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2018 6:43 PM

Although it's not an autobiography, "Halsted Plays Himself" is worth a read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2018 6:47 PM

R12- Loved it! I need to reread it! Its been a good 6-8 years!

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2018 7:18 PM

Linda Christian's book was pretty good, but impossible to find. She lent me a copy, told me she fucked Diego Rivera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2018 7:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!