Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Robert Walker gay?

Senior. I know he plays a great gay in " Strangers on a Train". I know he was married to Jennifer Jones till she divorced him for David O. Selznick. And that he had a son who looked a great deal like him. But in " The Clock", " Since You Went Away", " Till The Clouds Roll By" he comes off as a big mo. " The Clock" is probably not his fault. Judy Garland tends to make all her leading men come off as gay, except for Kelly and Burt Lancaster.

But like Monty Clift he comes off as a feminine man. Without an accent.

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2021 9:50 PM

I think his sexuality had something to do with his troubled nature

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2014 10:31 PM

Has anyone ever had a more lookalike child?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2014 11:25 PM

Wow, you're right, r2 - that's pretty incredible. I'd never seen the son before.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2014 12:12 AM

I think of Charlie X when it comes to the son.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2014 12:22 AM

I disagree that Kelly does not come across as gay in "The Pirate," OP.

The stories are that he was deeply closeted but loved to fuck men.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2014 12:26 AM

It was fairly well known in Hollywood that Robert Walker was gay, but he was ordered by his studio to be married. He was one of many.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2014 12:29 AM

"It was fairly well known in Hollywood that Robert Walker was gay, but he was ordered by his studio to be married."

Not that this has any bearing on whether Walker was or was not gay, but didn't he and Jennifer Jones marry while they were in acting school in New York, before either one got involved in the film industry?

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2014 12:35 AM

[quote]It was fairly well known in Hollywood that Robert Walker was gay, but he was ordered by his studio to be married. He was one of many.

Thanks for weighing in, Darwin Porter. I trust everything you have to say on these matters.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2014 1:12 AM

I'm confused by your post, r5. Was it Wagner who loved to fuck men or Kelly?

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2014 2:42 AM

If he was gay, then bravo to Jones for leaving for a man who loved her. She took a lot of criticism for that, and people said it was her fault that Walker drank himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2014 4:52 AM

Well he DID marry Judy Garland (in "The Clock.")

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2014 4:54 AM

Walker married again after Jones. I think that the girl was John Ford's daughter. Anyway, she left him pretty afterwards.

I don't know with any certainty of course whether he was gay or not but that's always been my gut feeling, that being that his sexuality was a component in his contentious nature.

p.s. There were two sons. Robert Jr & Michael. Michael looked like him in the face but had his mother curly dark hair. Robert Jr was a dead ringer for his dad.

p.p.s. Photo attached is of Michael. He died a few years ago. Robert is living.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2014 5:03 AM

Didn't Nancy Reagan give him and Peter Lawford some Class A blow jobs?

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2014 6:28 AM

[quote]Didn't Nancy Reagan give him and Peter Lawford some Class A blow jobs ?

That's what Peter Lawford allegedly claimed and the story was repeated in Kitty Kelly's biography of Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2014 7:29 AM

I love The Clock, but if a man pursued a woman like that today he would be slapped with a restraining order.

It's even more fun to watch if you imagine it as a prequel to Strangers On a Train. In between the two movies he must have thrown Judy off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2014 7:38 AM

The Clock is my favorite Judy Garland movie (Strangers on a Train is my favorite Robert Walker movie). Nice to see some love for it here - it always struck me as a little obscure and underrated.

I really used to believe he was devastated when he lost Jennifer Jones (it would be understandable) but now I'm starting to see that he could've actually been gay.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2014 7:50 AM

R16 I think that we can all agree we are all lovers of movies and movie stars.

I think the " The Clock" is not a believable story. Garland is good. She really could be a great actress if given the right part. But she deserved a better film than this war propaganda . Pair her with John Hodiak again . They were great together : his masculine manners complimented her woman-child act.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2014 11:25 PM

Re-watching THE CLOCK is fascinating today; so much has changed but yet so much is the same. I do wish the Met was a empty as it was when they wandered through the galleries.

By the way, Minnelli really imbued the film with a real NY-vibe. I love that you see black people in the crowd scenes; that was rare in those days on screen.

Walker comes across as very gay which is why Hitchcock hired him - Hitchcock was no fool.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2014 7:39 PM

[quote]By the way, Minnelli really imbued the film with a real NY-vibe. I love that you see black people in the crowd scenes; that was rare in those days on screen.

One of the things I love about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2014 10:37 PM

Believe it or not, The Clock was the only non-musical film Judy ever made for MGM.

She was such a great actress, you'd think LB Mayer might have seen the wisdom in letting her do one non-musical a year, which might have been so much less taxing (both physically and emotionally) and just as profitable.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2014 10:44 PM

R2, I think Robert Mitchum's boys looked very much like him. Also Jody McCrea, Joel's kid looked like his dad. I'll look for,some pics.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2014 11:50 PM

[quote] didn't he and Jennifer Jones marry while they were in acting school in New York, before either one got involved in the film industry?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 22June 6, 2014 12:03 AM

Nobody ever saw him drunk before Jennifer Jones left him. And she did it quickly and with no warning. He was stunned.

He thought they were a happy family. They had two kids, a nice house, their careers were doing well and out of nowhere she tells him she wants a separation. Then he finds out she's fucking the ugly but powerful Selnick to further her career. It's something that usually happens to women. The wives think their lives are wonderful and suddenly their husbands ask for a divorce; he's been fucking someone at work.

He also found that he pretty much owed his career to Selznick, not to his own talent. Selznick went behind the scenes to secure a contract for Walker at MGM. Selznick hired him to play opposite Jones and Jones told Waker she wanted a divorce. Selznick insisted Walker film take after take of love scenes with Jones. He was a sick fuck. Everyone in Hollywood knew what was happening.

Walker held out hope that Jones would return to him, but she didn't and he started drinking and having anger problems, particularly with authority figures like police.

Walker seemed to be getting better after some time at Menninger, but was killed by his psychiatrist. I think Marilyn Monroe had a similar death. In both cases, the psychiatrists were using heavy duty meds on them to "calm" them and were constantly around the patient or hired people to always be near the patient. Brian Wilson had a similar psychiatric treatment; his shrink lived with him and followed him around. Keep in mind, rehab didn't really exist until Betty Ford came forward with her addiction problem in the late 70s and the clinic named after her was started in 1982. Before that, celebs went into hospitals to dry out and were released, or were signed into private psychiatric facilities where they underwent intensive psychotherapy (focusing on the person's childhood) and given powerful drugs like Nembutal, Seconal and Sodium Amytal.

Walker's death was an avoidable tragedy. A friend of his claims he was at the house when Walker's psychiatrist insisted on injecting him with a sedative and that Walker appeared to be basically fine. He held Walker down while the doctor injected him and regretted it for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 23June 6, 2014 3:10 PM

Timothy Hutton resembled young Jim Hutton

Rbt Walker Jr was a little weird-looking. His head was big and shaped like an upside down triangle, but his body was really thin, with narrow shoulders which emphasized his big-headedness

by Anonymousreply 24June 6, 2014 7:01 PM

I think he’s a very good actor. I’m watching Strangers on a Train as I type.

by Anonymousreply 25April 27, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote] If he was gay, then bravo to Jones for leaving for a man who loved her.

Jennifer Jones was miserable with David O. Selznick. She basically sold herself to him in exchange for his making her a star.

by Anonymousreply 26April 27, 2021 9:01 PM

I don't know if Robert Walker was gay or not, but I have always thought that in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN he looks EXACTLY like Kevin Spacey!! Those of you who are watching it now, look for the resemblance!

by Anonymousreply 27April 27, 2021 9:06 PM

This whole thread, I thought we were talking about Joseph Cotton.

by Anonymousreply 28April 27, 2021 9:08 PM

John Lahr (Bert's son) wrote that his mother's last words were "Joseph Cotton, what a man!" which he found confusing....

by Anonymousreply 29April 27, 2021 9:18 PM

In case you haven't noticed, Walker played Bruno in Strangers on a Train as gay.

by Anonymousreply 30April 27, 2021 9:22 PM

r28 r29 COTTEN, not Cotton.

by Anonymousreply 31April 27, 2021 9:27 PM

There is a funny story that Peter Lawford is credited for telling. There was a period of time in the late 40s when he was very close to both Judy Garland and Robert Walker - for a time Peter Lawford was the one that they would call in the middle of the day and night got all of their crisises real or imagined - he was also the one that would drive them to therapy or help sober them up - he said something to the tune of “THEY are calling ME? I’m the most screwed up guy I know and I am the NORMAl one in this group?!”

by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2021 9:35 PM

I think he really was devastated when Jennifer left him. Now, could he also have been gay or bi? Sure. But as far as I know, there wasn't any gossip about that while he was alive.

by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2021 9:49 PM

Robert Walker, Alfred Hitchcock, and Farley Granger on the set of Strangers On A Train.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2021 9:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!