Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So what went down between Rue and Dorothy Lyman on "Mama's Family" that caused Rue to quit?

I had a friend over for dinner, and somehow the discussion turned to the Golden Girls (what else, lol), discussion of Rue, and then to her stint on Mama's Family. My friend said that he read in Rue's autobiography that she left the show because of Dorothy, but he couldn't rememeber what exactly happened. What went down between these ladies?

by Anonymousreply 89April 18, 2019 1:44 AM

She doesn't say that, OP - she says the show decided to write her out, not that she left by choice.

Regarding her role, she does say she was disappointed because at the time she was cast, her character of Aunt Fran was supposed to be Mama's spitfire nemesis, but before writing the pilot script, the producers saw and loved Lyman on "All My Children" and decided Mama's nemesis should instead be a daughter-in-law played by Lyman, and that Aunt Fran should be mousy and uptight.

But she never mentions any problems with Lyman personally, nor does she connect Lyman with her being written off the show.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2014 4:27 AM

Didn't Aunt Fran swallow a toothpick and die?

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2014 4:34 AM

Didn't she leave to do "The Golden Girls?"

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2014 4:38 AM

She choked on a chicken bone, r2.

No, r3, getting written out of "Mama's Family" when she did turned out to be a lucky break because it was meant she was free when "Golden Girls" started casting, but the two things were independent of each other.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2014 4:45 AM

Carol Burnett was a huge fan of "All My Children". My guess is she wanted Dorothy Lyman to bump Rue.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2014 4:49 AM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2014 5:06 AM

Not to mention the fact that if she hadn't left, we'd never have had Iola Lucille Boylan!

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2014 5:25 AM

[quote]I had a friend over for dinner

30 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2014 5:39 AM

I assumed that Rue left simply because the show was canceled by NBC. I imagine the pay-scale was lower in first-run syndication. It was stranger that Vint's kids were written out of the series, although Bubba's arrival certainly improved the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2014 5:46 AM

On the first episode of the syndicated series, Vint says Buzz and Sonia had gone to live with their mother, out of state. They were never mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2014 6:27 AM

R9 of course Betty would return for an episode. Does she ever turn anything down? I'd be very curious to see what is on what must be a very short list.

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2014 6:48 AM

[quote]Betty White came back for a cameo as Ellen when Mama was in the hospital.

Ken Berry ("Vinton") also guest-starred on GOLDEN GIRLS as Rose's former St. Olaf boyfriend, Skipper, called so because he liked to skip.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2014 6:57 AM

This dinner party sounds riveting.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2014 7:10 AM

[quote]Didn't Aunt Fran swallow a toothpick and die?

Yes.

[quote]She choked on a chicken bone

No.

Aunt Fran and Mama went to the Bigger Jigger for dinner. Fran had a roast beef sandwich and a string of it got caught in her teeth. She went to the bathroom to pick it out with a toothpick. Mama thought she'd play a joke so she went into the bathroom with a fish tail (she had fish for dinner), stuck it between her teeth and yelled to Fran, "Just be glad you didn't order fish!" She surprised Fran who inhaled the toothpick. We didn't see any of this, just Mama describing it to Vint, Naomi, and Iola while waiting for the limousine to take them to the funeral.

I know WAY too much about the show...

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2014 9:13 AM

The way that Thelma describes the fish tail in her mouth is beyond funny, especially the way Thelma grits her teeth and juts out her jaw to show how it looked. I swear you can almost see the fish tail between her teeth.

They come back from the funeral and find a most delicious looking morsel finishing off the ice cream after eating all of the food that was for the guests coming back to the house. He thought it was a welcome home from juvie party for himself.

Bubba brings a whole new dimension to the show from then on. The tight jeans barely covering that bubble butt and full package era is just around the protruding corner. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2014 9:37 AM

[quote]Aunt Fran and Mama went to the Bigger Jigger for dinner. Fran had a roast beef sandwich and a string of it got caught in her teeth. She went to the bathroom to pick it out with a toothpick. Mama thought she'd play a joke so she went into the bathroom with a fish tail (she had fish for dinner), stuck it between her teeth and yelled to Fran, "Just be glad you didn't order fish!" She surprised Fran who inhaled the toothpick.

I always thought this was horrible. Mama basically killed Fran. I didn't understand why people were laughing at this death and the laugh track was turned up so much. It was just a horrific way to die and not funny at all. And Mama didn't even have any guilt over killing her sister. It was just all fun and games for everyone. Disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2014 10:07 AM

Dorothy will also be Opal to me.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2014 10:12 AM

Dorothy & Rue were friends pre-Mama's Family.

She even cast Rue in a play she directed.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2014 10:55 AM

R18 must be a blast at parties.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2014 11:28 AM

When it was on NBC "Mama's Family" was a piece of crap; unfunny, stupid and lame. When it went into syndication it was somewhat more bearable. But there never should have been a tv series based on those "Family" sketches. Thelma Harper was a monstrous human being; those tv shows tried to soften and humanize her, but it didn't really work. She was always someone who thrived on other people's misery.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2014 12:12 PM

Did Rue and Lyman ever work together on AW?

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2014 1:27 PM

First off Mama's Family was cancelled. Then two years later, it resumed production and went into syndication. By that time both Rue and Betty were signed to Mama's Family.

So even if Rue wanted to do Mama's Family she couldn't because she was attached to Golden Girls.

In terms of Naomi, Carol Burnett was a HUGE All My Children fan. Her hubby (soon to be ex) was developing Mama's Family and when Carol read the breakdowns, she told her husband she knew the perfect actress for Naomi. Dorothy Lyman who just won an Emmy for Opal Gardner on AMC.

At that time Rue had thought she had the inside shot at Naomi. To her surprise they asked her to read for Fran. A job being a job, she took the part.

So in short, Rue was not fired. The show got canned, and when it resumed production she was already on Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2014 1:32 PM

You are forgetting the mad-for-television movie: "Eunice."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2014 1:47 PM

That's crazy. If Rue had stayed with Mama's Family, Betty probably would've wound up playing Blanche, which was the original plan. And Elaine Stritch probably would've been Dorothy, since I don't see Bea taking the role without Rue in the mix.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2014 2:14 PM

That "Eunice" special was ghastly. It was a bad rehash of a lot of the Family skits, using the same elements of several of them: Duke Reeves, Carl in the toilet, Fluffy the rabbit. There weren't many laughs; it was a lot more depressing than funny. The characters (with the exception of poor Phillip, the only sane, successful Family member, played by Ken Berry) were constantly screaming and sniping at each other over nothing, constantly belittling each and tearing each other to pieces. Their lives were worthless. In a 15 minute comedy sketch that can be made to seem amusing but to watch it for a solid hour is draining. I was sorry I watched it; it's not comedy, it's tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2014 4:06 PM

I have a cookie jar just like the one on top Mama's fridge. Inherited it from my grandma. Fresh cookies, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2014 7:55 PM

R16 [quote] I know WAY too much about the show.

Yes, and I think it's making me fall in love with you.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2014 8:53 PM

The introduction of Bubba was like a light going off in my body. I needed no more explanations. There was no more confusion, no more doubt. Bubba did that for me, y'all.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2014 9:02 PM

Yeah, Bubba awoken stirrings in me too. I must've been about 15 when he first appeared. I had no idea what it meant to be gay, but I remember thinking how handsome he was and how he filled out those tight jeans so perfectly. I wonder if Allen Kayser(sp?) knows he so many gay admirers back then.

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2014 12:33 AM

R32, you were fifteen and didn't know what "gay" was? I knew as far back as I can remember, around 5-years-old. Even then, I knew that gay was two men being sexual together. Then again, I was repeatedly molested since I was a toddler, so I guess I was more aware of those things than the average kid. It just amazes me that some people didn't know what sex was until they were into their teens.

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2014 1:17 AM

She was married 4 times and I believe she really thought she was a great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2014 1:23 AM

R34 wasnt her book called "My first FIVE husbands?" and then she divorce that one, too.

Anyway, the show (in any of it's incarnations) sucked. Even the CB show sketches always went on way too long (and people complain about SNL)

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2014 1:29 AM

R18, you aren't the only one to find the recounting of Aunt Fran's death unamusing. I thought it was horrible. Nothing remotely humorous about it.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2014 1:31 AM

Did Betty appear on the syndicated version when she was doing GG? Damn, she'll do anything won't she? I remember during season 1 or 2, she did some cross-promotional stunt with NBC's soaps.

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2014 1:33 AM

I read several articles stating Bea Arthur could not stand Bette White. Also it was Arthur's decision not to continue that caused the show to end The writer's could have had her return to Stanley, and find another "renter."

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2014 1:42 AM

Betty made guest appearances on Mama's Family.

[quote] Bea Arthur could not stand Bette White.

Rue said the opposite. That Bea would never go on her dinner or lunch break, without Betty

by Anonymousreply 36February 14, 2014 1:34 PM

This whole Betty/Bea feud has been blown out of proportion. Yes, there were occasions when Bea's and Betty's respective personalities clashed on set, but they didn't hate each other. Bea was reserved and a stickler for professionalism and getting the job done, whereas Betty was a cut-up and happy-go-lucky and that sometimes got under Bea's skin. When you think about it, in that regard they weren't that different from their GG characters -- Dorothy was always getting exasperated by Rose's cheerful disposition. They're not different from colleagues in an office -- one who wants to do her job and go home, and the other who likes to socialize and be the class clown. But they got along more often than not and usually had lunch together.

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2014 1:49 PM

R28/R29 I recently started watching the syndicated series. I'd only seen the first two seasons and didn't much care for it, though always thought Mama was a hoot. But the syndicated series seems better -- and Bubba is a vast improvement from the previous kids. He's naturally funny, and it doesn't hurt that he's hot.

My favorite bit (so far in syndication) is when Bubba was hiding some runaway delinquent (played by the voice of Lisa Simpson, forget the actress) in his room, and Mama comes to tell him she's been nominated for some church position, and Bubba's slowly closing the door on her as she speaks, until finally she's like, "I'm not trying to sell you a vacuum cleaner -- OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!!! and the door flies open, almost off its hinges. haha

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2017 6:37 PM

I haven't read through all the comments, but what I've read elsewhere is that after the show was cancelled after season 2 Rue and Betty White went on to Golden Girls. So obviously Rue was not even available for the new Mama's Family when it was brought back by another network.

Neither were the 2 kids who played Vint's kids. The boy who played Buzz went on to become quite successful outside of acting. I have no idea what happened to the girl.

But what I found most surprising is that Carol Burnett apparently stopped speaking to Vicki Lawrence when she found out she had signed to do a new Mama's Family with her soon to be ex-husband Joe Hamilton. It too many years for Carol to get over being mad at Vicki.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2017 7:37 PM

R39 why is it surprising that Carol stopped talking to Vicki? And why was Carol being so petty?

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2017 7:47 PM

I actually loved the Eunice dramatic special. It didn't cheat the tragedy for cheap laughs.

Burnett was amazing in the post funeral scene and even Betty White proved to be a fine dramatic actress.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2017 7:55 PM

In the interviews Dorothy didn't even know if Rue was still alive, lol

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2017 7:56 PM

Carol had no reason to be pissed, didn't she steal Joe from his wife and they had eight kids?

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2017 7:58 PM

R43 Carol and Joe only had 3 kids together, including the one who died from cancer in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2017 8:06 PM

I meant Joe's wife before he married Carol, I think he had 8 children with her.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2017 8:09 PM

[quote] R 39 why is it surprising that Carol stopped talking to Vicki? And why was Carol being so petty?

According to Vicki Carol called her up out of the blue one day at home to pitch a new show with Eunice, Mama, etc., and Vicki told her she had already signed with Joe Hamilton to do a Mama re-do. She said it was obvious Carol was incensed and she hung up and that was the last time they spoke for years until finally one day Carol called the house and Vicki's husband answered. Carol did not want to talk to Vicki, only her husband. The husband told Carol how much the loved and missed her and Carol told him to "give me some time to get back to normal, about a year or so" or something to that effect. Sounds like Carol had some serious emotional problems after the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2017 8:42 PM

[quote]On the first episode of the syndicated series, Vint says Buzz and Sonia had gone to live with their mother, out of state. They were never mentioned again.

No, he doesn't. Vint's first wife ran off to be a showgirl in Las Vegas which was a laugh because she'd have been a 40 year old show girl (think Barry Manilow's Lola). The only mention of Buzz and Sonja, is when Mama is uptight about after the funeral the get together at the house and she says "no Eunice and Ed, no Buzz and Sonja" That was it.

When Vint and Naomi have their baby it's written as if Vint never had children before.

Betty White did an episode of the syndicated series. I recall in an interview she said, she would've done more guest appearances but she was never asked.

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2017 8:57 PM

Here it is from Vicki Lawrence's mouth...

"A funny thing happened the day I signed with Lorimar. Carol called and said, 'I think I'd like to put together maybe a little syndicated show with the family characters. I'll do Eunice, you do Mama. Doesn't that sound like fun?' I said, 'It does, but I just signed with Lorimar to do Mama's Family for Joe.' It became a very abrupt conversation, and Carol hung up. I then went to Al and asked him what he made of the whole thing. He agreed it was really weird. I wondered if I was about to get caught in the middle of yet another struggle between the two of them . . . During her divorce, Carol and I went through a 'cool' period. She 'divorced' everyone and remained distant for a lot of years. She called the house a few years ago. I was standing at the sink peeling carrots, fifteen feet from the phone, but Garrett got to it first and I only heard his half of the following conversation: 'Hello? Oh hi. Yeah, sure, he's in the other room, on the other line. You want me to tell him you're calling? My mom's here, you want to talk to her? No? Okay. Goodbye.' When he hung up I asked him who it was. 'Carol Burnett.' I was shocked. 'What did she say?' 'She didn't want to talk to you. She only wanted to talk to Dad.' Al called her back later that night, made a point of telling her how much we missed and loved her, and she told him, 'I'll be back. It's just going to take a while longer. Give me another year or so."

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2017 9:36 PM

Carol was pretty close with Vicki's husband, eh? Did they have a thing?

by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2017 9:45 PM

Carol sounds like she was a nut.

by Anonymousreply 50April 11, 2017 3:43 AM

[quote] Did Rue and Lyman ever work together on AW?

I think when Rue was on AW Lyman was still doing EON.

by Anonymousreply 51April 11, 2017 4:01 AM

[quote] Carol was pretty close with Vicki's husband, eh? Did they have a thing?

Al Schultz was the make-up man on The Carol Burnett Show. You're always sweet to the make-up artist otherwise they will make you look like shit on camera.

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2017 4:03 AM

[quote]Vint says Buzz and Sonia had gone to live with their mother, out of state.

I think you have it mixed up. Buzz and Sonja were only mentioned as "No Buzz and Sonja" and then when Momma get's the note about Bubba, Naomi asks why he'd come here, Iola says "Because a minor on parole cannot leave the state."

by Anonymousreply 53April 11, 2017 6:44 AM

Carol's only happy when she's breaking up marriages.

by Anonymousreply 54April 11, 2017 6:45 AM

Has it been mentioned how much of a bore Sonja and Buzz were and how hot Bubba was? I dont think thats ever been brought up on DL.

by Anonymousreply 55April 12, 2017 3:36 AM

I always wondered why the original NBC first season featured Buzz and Sonja. Either it was the actors or bad writing but they never clicked on the show from the start which helped it get canceled. The syndicated version was good, cheesy fun, specially with Iola and Bubba's arrival.

by Anonymousreply 56April 12, 2017 7:55 PM

Mama's Family (with Rue) was cancelled by NBC in 1984

Golden Girls (with Rue) premiered in 1985

Mama's Family was revived for new episodes in 1986, the second year Golden Girls was on.

Got it guys?

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2017 8:00 PM

Originally Sonja was played like a burn-out/stoner type and then about half-way through the series NBC run they started femming her up and dressing her in pastels and very fem clothes and yet the character was still played as a total slacker/burnout so it didn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2017 9:25 PM

I loved original Sonja, she so reminded me of myself at that age, bored, and lazy. I hated when they made her more feminine. They should have kept the character on there. Karin was great.

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2017 9:34 PM

[quote] So obviously Rue was not even available for the new Mama's Family when it was brought back by another network.

It was never brought back by another network. It was first-run syndication.

by Anonymousreply 60April 12, 2017 9:42 PM

R59 why were you bored and lazy?

by Anonymousreply 61April 12, 2017 9:48 PM

R60 what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 62April 12, 2017 9:48 PM

^ It was brought back not for network TV (ABC/CBS/NBC) but for airing on local TV stations.

by Anonymousreply 63April 12, 2017 10:12 PM

[quote]According to Vicki Carol called her up out of the blue one day at home to pitch a new show with Eunice, Mama, etc., and Vicki told her she had already signed with Joe Hamilton to do a Mama re-do. She said it was obvious Carol was incensed and she hung up and that was the last time they spoke for years

Allegedly this was also what happened between Carroll O'Connor and Sally Struthers when she did the short-lived "Gloria" series: O'Connor was upset with her for signing on to do it without his knowledge and stopped speaking to her. (I can't remember why he felt she should have informed him first.) Don't know if they ever made up or not before his death.

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2017 3:37 AM

Ugh. She was the worst part of the show, r59.

by Anonymousreply 65May 21, 2017 5:46 PM

Did Rue and VIcki! get along well?

by Anonymousreply 66July 3, 2018 10:16 PM

Rue said that Lyman’s pussy stunk.

by Anonymousreply 67July 3, 2018 10:36 PM

Was Carol mad at the rest of the regulars too?

by Anonymousreply 68July 3, 2018 10:37 PM

[quote]Allegedly this was also what happened between Carroll O'Connor and Sally Struthers when she did the short-lived "Gloria" series: O'Connor was upset with her for signing on to do it without his knowledge and stopped speaking to her.

He couldn’t have been too upset. You do know he did the pilot episode of Gloria with her, right?

by Anonymousreply 69July 3, 2018 10:53 PM

I wish that show would be rebooted.

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2018 2:05 AM

Cleary R70 didnt see the Roseanne reboot. Same thing.

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2018 2:17 AM

Cleary?

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2018 2:26 AM

Naomi wasn't as stupid in the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2018 10:34 PM

[quote] Carol Burnett was a huge fan of "All My Children".

So was I at the time, the only time I faithfully watched a soap. Dorothy was the star winning at least one Emmy for her work. It's kinda sad she was lured away, I enjoyed her more as Opal Gardner. I think Dorothy made a lot of the choices about her character that made her funnier and more of a standout, too. I remember seeing Opal sleeping and she was sucking her thumb, for example.

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2018 10:41 PM

Bubba was a stud but Buzz sure had a cute little ass on him.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2018 11:08 PM

I think Burnett told Lyman she would pay her 10 times what she was making on AMC to bring opal to mamas family.

by Anonymousreply 76November 2, 2018 12:35 AM

My first ejaculation was thinking of Bubba. We had no internet porn back then and fantasy was just about as good as you can get....his package....damn. Between him and Andy on WKRP

by Anonymousreply 77November 2, 2018 12:56 AM

"I was peelin' a carrot when the phone rang..."

by Anonymousreply 78November 2, 2018 1:03 AM

[quote]Dorothy was the star

Really? REALLY?

by Anonymousreply 79November 2, 2018 1:13 AM

[quote]Yeah, Bubba awoken stirrings in me too. I must've been about 15 when he first appeared. I had no idea what it meant to be gay, but I remember thinking how handsome he was and how he filled out those tight jeans so perfectly. I wonder if Allen Kayser(sp?) knows he so many gay admirers back then.

Bubba was so hot and he was on the swim team. They should have had him running around in his Speedo. Even in the Hawaii episode ( where it rained everyday and never had a hour of sunshine) he was wearing board shorts. Keyser does the autograph circuit so I'm sure he gets his share of gays guys getting the DVD signed. He was at Chiller last year and looked great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 2, 2018 1:26 AM

Why did DL leave The Nanny? It went downhill without her at the helm.

by Anonymousreply 81April 17, 2019 6:00 AM

They spent several passionate nights scissoring and chowing down on each other's entryway carpets, but then Dorothy Lyman decided she was on the way UP and Rue was on the way DOWN.

by Anonymousreply 82April 17, 2019 6:08 AM

I think you need to know the time line: The NBC version of "Mama's Family" was canceled in April of 1984. Rue was on that version but Carol Burnett did some episodes, too, as Eunice. But, while they were doing the NBC "Mama's Family", the Burnett/Hamilton marriage was ending and they divorced in May of 84.

Then, Joe Hamilton put together a syndication deal for new episodes of "Mama's Family" through Lorimar in 1986. It's kind of obvious that Carol was pissed/bitter that Vicki Lawrence was "siding" with her ex-husband....which, of course, was ridiculous. It's show business and you go where the work is. Carol was being a bitch about it all and poor Vicki was stuck in the middle between the two people she felt huge gratitude towards, for discovering her and giving her a professional acting career.

I love Carol Burnett but if you really look at some of her actions over the years, she was just as ruthless as the more obvious showbiz types. She snatched Joe Hamilton from his wife and dumped her Broadway career (in the middle of a hit show) to further her TV career. She's not quite the "America's Sweetheart" she likes to project.

by Anonymousreply 83April 17, 2019 7:57 AM

^Good post, R83.

by Anonymousreply 84April 17, 2019 10:17 AM

R30 so sorry that happened to you

by Anonymousreply 85April 18, 2019 1:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!