Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ioan sees a shrink as he can't get work !

Interesting comments by Welsh actor Ioan Gruffudd - he has been seeing a shrink to help him cope with rejections and not getting acting jobs! It seems his old pal Matthew Rhys is now busier than him ... (the same problem that Rupert Everett had with seeing Colin Firth get all the parts he could have done).

The surprising thing is that an actor like Ioan has to go to auditions, as if he was an unknown, after being in TITANIC (ok a small part) and having his own tv series HORNBLOWER in the UK.

It all makes me think who would be an actor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2021 2:38 PM

Let's hope Dan Stevens does not end up with the same problem !

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2014 10:39 PM

It must be hard for actors like Ioan to see contemporaries like Benedict Cumberbatch popping up everywhere, though Ioan is 40 now, so maybe his peak is over. Perhaps he should settle into character or smaller parts like Michael York did when his 'ten good years' were up. Same with Orlando Bloom ?

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2014 10:50 PM

You mean he had to AUDITION for that shitty recurring role he has on GLEE this season as Lea's leading man?

What exactly did that audition with Ryan Murphy entail?

It must be killing him to see his bf Matthew Rhys go from successful series to successful series, when Ioan was originally positioned to be a MOVIE star after the success of Horatio Hornblower (no comment) - remember Ioan as Mr. Fantastic in the Fantastic Four movies? No? Because the male viewers remember only Jessica Alba and the gay and female viewers remember only Chris Evans. But Ioan was supposed to be the LEAD.

Fame - ain't it a bitch? Maybe Matthew can get him a juicy recurring role on THE AMERIKANS as a gay CIA spy that Matthew has to fuck before he kills him....

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2014 10:56 PM

But at least he has the love of a good woman to help him through the rough spots.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2014 10:57 PM

Thanks r3 for mentioning Glee/ I knew I saw him cropping up in something briefly but could not remember what. I think Ioan is just not very interesting as an actor or a personality, though isn't he another like Hugh Jackman with an older wife .....

Matthew Rhys is equally dull, particularly as Mr Darcy (Colin Firth's breakout role) in the recent BBC series Death Comes to Pemberley, and his roles in American series - so Rhys must at least be doing something right, he is 39 and looking for the right girl just like his friend Ioan did, according to a recent interview. Matthew is obviously doing something right or has someone powerful behind him ....

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2014 8:44 AM

Oh for the days when actors were given simple easy to say and remember names. Now we have to get used to saying/writing names like Benedict Cumberbatch, Ioan Gruffudd or - I am just getting used to it - Chiwetel Ejiofor.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2014 8:46 AM

Remember hunky Matt Keeslar? I assumed he was British. Anyway he quit acting to be a nurse

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2014 10:49 AM

Someone on another thread said that the hardest role for TV casting directors to cast is a white leading man in his mid-30s because there are so few established actors that want to do it... It seems odd that Ioan wouldn't be able to find some kind of series work, unless he had a horrible reputation.

Perhaps he was too picky when he was in demand.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2014 1:17 PM

Very few creative people are able to work full-time in their chosen field, let alone make a living at it, but it's not just limited to the arts. Look at all the businesses that are forced to close, and people who get laid off through no fault of their own. The market is ruthless and a lot of us need shrinks because of it.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2014 1:27 PM

I always thought he was really, really hot.

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2014 1:57 PM

Somebody's attractively-filled pants are on fire. I just looked at his IMDB page and he's got four projects in post-production.

"Sentimental rhetoric! thats the Welsh strain in him. It also accounts for his mendacity and dishonesty."

-Henry Higgins

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2014 2:22 PM

I think Ioan (I keep wanting to type Joan) reached his peak with fluff like '102 Dalmatians' - he is hardly likely to be considered for tough, contemporary roles, with all the Bradley Coopers, Ryan Goslings and Ryan Reynolds around --- all late 30s guys, not to mention Tom Hardy or even DL fave Henry Cavill.

Yup, its tough being an actor having to complete for all these roles .... and to keep looking good as one hits 40.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2014 4:05 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2014 4:12 PM

How true r13, Taylor Lautner is another who will struggle now that his starring film Abduction tanked and he is off that tv show. Lets hope they make enough money while they are hot to buy some real estate and have a good pension.

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2014 4:21 PM

"the same problem that Rupert Everett had with seeing Colin Firth get all the parts he could have done."

Everett only thinks he could have done those roles. There's no way he would have made a good George in A SINGLE MAN or King George in THE KING'S SPEECH.

Firth does have the advantage of having Harvey Weinstein's help, but he also has more genuine charm as an actor than Everett, who always looks as if he smelled a fart. And Firth never screwed up his face with plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2014 4:40 PM

Difficult colour... green.

by Anonymousreply 16January 7, 2014 4:44 PM

To give Rupert his due r15 he was a great Oscar Wilde (with some padding) in the London revival of David Hare's play The Judas Kiss last year, earning rave reviews allround. Maybe a case of an actor finally finding the right role for him.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2014 9:07 AM

[qote] than Everett, who always looks as if he smelled a fart.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2014 9:47 AM

Everett's superiority complex, and confident self-irony, means he'll never get close to the mainstream charm of Firth.

A capable writer should though be able to use his character successfully. The decadent posh are often a good watch. Hence his triumph as late-life Oscar.

Anyway, it seems as though RE these days lives and works in order to create material for his next volume of memoirs. He's at least as good a writer as he is an actor.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2014 10:58 AM

Indeed - poor Ioan seems a very dull boy by comparison. The only interesting thing about him was his long relationship with Matthew Rhys, sharing their one bed apartment for 12 years. Presumably he got married to further his career in America .... while Matthew still skillfully fends off awkward questions, and is indeeed busier now.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2014 11:35 AM

Ioan books a pilot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2014 9:49 PM

We discussed this with Chris Pine on DL and everyone here said 'so what?'

by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2014 9:52 PM

[quote] Firth does have the advantage of having Harvey Weinstein's help

He has the advantage of not being an asshole like Rupert Everett is

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2014 10:22 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2014 9:21 AM

He did have good roles. He was the Craigslist piss queen in Horrible Bosses. Why is he complaining?

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2014 9:33 AM

I don't think he's ever really been famous in the US. Maybe briefly for the Fantastic Four but Jessica Alba and Chris Evans got most of the attention for that.

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2014 9:39 AM

R 2 I just don't get Cumberbatch! He's getting a lot of work and a lot of positive press. He has even survived that disater of a bomb where he played that Julian Wiki guy.

R5 No Ioan does not have an older wife. His wife is Alice Evans. I think they are around the same age or she could possibly be younger than him.

by Anonymousreply 27March 20, 2014 12:30 PM

[quote] He has the advantage of not being an asshole like Rupert Everett is

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2016 9:02 AM

Doesn't this article announce to everyone in Hollywood that he IS desperate?

Strange. Like James Mason in Star is Born at the Oscars telling everyone that he needs a job.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2016 10:43 AM

Brit actors who work in the US seem to divide into the ones who keep their UK career ticking over and move backwards and forwards as their careers develop (or just return to Britain once the big tv series or film franchise ends) and those who commit wholly to Hollywood and risk ending up like Ioan and Ben Barnes, hanging vaguely around in LA looking a bit sad.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2016 4:11 PM

For an actor, he hasn't been out of work too long. He had the Forever tv series. Loved that show. Then, the writers had to get all PC and match Alana de la Garza up with Cuba Gooding, who had absolutely no chemistry between them. The looks on both their faces during their romantic scenes was along the lines of what I have to endure for a fucking paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2016 5:03 PM

I also liked Forever. Maybe it was a bit too much like Elementary to earn an audience niche.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2016 5:57 PM

It's because of his stupid, weird, unpronounceable name.

How's he supposed to get a callback when nobody knows what to call him?

"Get me... is it E-oh-win? I-uh-an? Or just E-un? And Griff.. Gruff... Gree... fuck it, just get me Chris Pratt already."

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2016 7:15 PM

Amazing that someone like Cavill can get work, but Ioan cannot.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2016 12:10 AM

Yo-un r33. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2016 12:15 AM

R25 That was the last thing I remember seeing him in. 5 years ago.

I loved that scene. It gave me such a boner when you hear him pissing for a long time in the other room.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2016 3:42 AM

Ioan Gruffudd’s wife, Alice Evans, tweets actor is ‘leaving his family’

Ioan Gruffudd’s wife, Alice Evans, has announced the actor is “leaving his family” after 13 years of marriage.

The 49-year-old actress took to Twitter on Monday to claim that Gruffudd, 47, is leaving because he “doesn’t love” her anymore.

“Sad news. My believed husband/soulmate of 20 years, Ioan Gruffudd, has announced he is to leave his family, starting next week,” she revealed in a since-deleted tweet. “Me and our young daughters girls are very confused and sad. We haven’t been given a reason except that he ‘no longer loves me.'”

Evans wed the actor, known best for his role in “Titanic,” in 2007. They share two daughters, Ella, 11, and Elsie, 7.

After the breakup announcement was removed from her Twitter timeline, Evans alleged in a separate tweet — which has also been deleted — that Gruffudd was the one who took it down.

“I didn’t delete the tweet from a few hours ago about him leaving,” she wrote on Tuesday. “He did. From my account.”

“The Mentalist” actress added, “And hell yes when I am being gaslit and mentally tortured then hell yes I will wash my linen in public.”

A rep for Gruffudd did not immediately return our request for comment. His Twitter account is set on private.

When a Twitter user told Evans that her posts were “weird,” another person chimed in, “I did the same when this happened to me. I think it’s how one acknowledges there’s no returning to what existed before. Accepting it by stating it publicly helps you to recognize the impossibility if reconciliation.”

Evans agreed, writing, “This is exactly why. And thank you. Six months of harrassment: yes/no/maybe. I cannot live anymore like this.”

She then shared in a separate tweet, “I have lost my mind.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2021 4:00 PM

Sounds like he is having issues with his mental health in general and the career is not the cause. It's hard to play the violins for his career because he has been offered steady work on a US TV show. Something most UK actors would kill for. Irish actor Simon Delaney supported his wife and kids for 4 years off one episode of The Good Wife. Not too many actors on that side of the pond will be weeping for him but he is clearly having some sort of crisis as evidenced by the news at R37.

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2021 4:09 PM

Did they meet on 102 Dalmatians?

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2021 4:22 PM

She looks like a blonde Paula Prentiss.

by Anonymousreply 40January 26, 2021 4:23 PM

I watched an episode of his Australian TV series. Did it run longer than a season? He played a coroner/investigator.

by Anonymousreply 41January 26, 2021 4:24 PM

R41, there are two seasons available and a third due to begin next month.

by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2021 4:27 PM

"Hornblower"

Tee-Hee

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2021 4:32 PM

WiIll he now come out? Call me, Ioan!

by Anonymousreply 44January 26, 2021 4:36 PM

His eyebrows are underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 45January 26, 2021 4:37 PM

I'm not surprised that she put this out there as she is always on Twitter commenting on anything and everything. It seems she has more or less put her career on hold to raise their kids while he works. He has an Australian series and a UK series. He seemingly takes up any work that comes his way: he had one scene in the Jessica Chastain assassin flick AVA which could have gone to a day-player versus a name actor. At least she knows he can afford child support.

by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2021 4:38 PM

[Quote] It seems she has more or less put her career on hold to raise their kids while he works.

Oh yeah. She's turning down work left and right.

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2021 4:39 PM

Has he left her for Amanda Lepore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2021 4:40 PM

Matthew Rhys is doing better because he's a better actor.

Ioan Gruffudd was always more of a leading man than a character actor, and his looks didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2021 4:56 PM

R49, this thread is from 2014. It appears to have been bumped because of the news about Ioan’s separation from his wife. He has plenty of work these days.

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2021 5:06 PM

Did he ever audition for James Bond?

by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2021 11:35 AM

Looking at IMDB, he's had a pretty solid career from the late 90s onwards - hardly any clear gaps..

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2021 2:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!