Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Murphy Brown

25 years later.

(Loved the first few seasons of this show....and I so wanted to fuck Miles!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2021 5:50 AM

I've always loved Murphy Brown--I never missed it. Having come from a Roseanne upbringing, Murphy was what I wanted to see on TV.

And I think it's funny that Faith Ford really was a bimbo:

"It was also dense with jokes English called "10 percenters" — designed to appeal to a rarefied demographic (in the pilot, Murphy quips that Corky "thinks Camus is a soap.")

Says Ford: "A lot of it was way over my head. I had to do research. We didn't have Google then, so I'd be calling my mother. 'Do you know who this is?'""

by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2013 8:41 PM

It is a prime example of a sitcom that aged horribly. A lot of the jokes were very much reflective of the politics of its time and you needed a broom and a dustpan to sweep all the names that were dropped during them. And, for something that was largely soundtracked by Motown hits, it was as blandly white as it was humanly possible. In retrospect, with the exception of Bergen, most of the cast were very grating. I used to love and watch this show in its original run but when I see it in syndication these days, 10 minutes are just about as much as I can take.

by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2013 9:23 PM

Where is it syndicated? I haven't seen it since it was on primetime.

by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2013 9:26 PM

It was syndicated on TVtropolis here, in Canada, a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4December 24, 2013 9:29 PM

Candice Bergen always seemed so wooden to me, kinda like the brunette girl on Two Broke Girls.

Can't believe she kept winning Emmys year after year.

by Anonymousreply 5December 24, 2013 10:03 PM

I think Miles was cute and had lovely skin. Pity he was such a shit in real life.

by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2013 10:07 PM

Was he R6? Do tell!

by Anonymousreply 7December 24, 2013 10:12 PM

Over the years, I've read several comments here about how horribly this show aged, but it never struck me that way.

Maybe some people (like me?) get locked into an era, and can instantly go back there. When Season 1 was released on DVD, it was like visiting a better time. So, failing the DVD release of the complete series, I'll probably transfer my VHS tapes to DVD.

Favorite episode: Murphy guest starred on a show like Sesame Street (Mulberry Lane, they called it) and got in a fight with the puppets.

Favorite secretary: the former soldier -- "Yes MA'AM! Gay MA'AM! They asked I told MA'AM!"

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2013 10:30 PM

It's a bit dated, but funny.

by Anonymousreply 9December 24, 2013 10:42 PM

What was the deal with Grant Shaud?

Why did he leave the series? What did he do to create such ill will that they didn't even invited him back as Miles for the finale?

by Anonymousreply 10December 25, 2013 3:53 AM

The actor that played Miles was petite but was an example of how many short men are disproportionately represented in the ranks of the exceptionally hung. His endowment was gossiped about by the crew partly because of it's contrast to his body size. Wardrobe dressed him in triple pleat trousers and kept his jacket buttoned in most scenes to minimize his distracting bulge. I have heard in the final season he ended up offending everyone by bringing a series of teenaged/under aged boyfriends to the set. People were fine with him being gay, but not with having his borderline pedophilia rubbed in their face.

by Anonymousreply 11December 25, 2013 3:53 AM

I wanted to fuck Miles too OP.

by Anonymousreply 12December 25, 2013 4:08 AM

I loved the pun of Corky Sherwood Forest

by Anonymousreply 13December 25, 2013 4:28 AM

Grant Shaud got married and then divorced. Is he gay? And where do the stories of him being a shit come from?

by Anonymousreply 14December 25, 2013 4:48 AM

That show was a hot potatoe.

by Anonymousreply 15December 25, 2013 5:03 AM

R14- From anyone who ever had to work with him.

Like Me.

by Anonymousreply 16December 25, 2013 5:06 AM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 17December 25, 2013 5:07 AM

miles and corky shoulda stayed together.

by Anonymousreply 18December 25, 2013 5:14 AM

The character of Miles certainly came across as gay. Have no idea if Grant is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

An alcoholic? Booze for breakfast? If that's true, he must have had a serious drinking problem. I've rarely heard of someone that young going the booze for breakfast route; usually don't hear about that until someone's in the late 30s or 40s. He was only 27 when he was cast on the show. Maybe he was using all that booze to suppress his homosexual tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 19December 25, 2013 7:00 AM

Grant Shaud is HUNG?

Oh, MY. Get me my smelling salts!

by Anonymousreply 20December 25, 2013 2:19 PM

Grant Shaud is not gay. A sweet guy but not gay.

by Anonymousreply 21December 25, 2013 3:22 PM

the show was too preachy and polarizing and lived 6 years after its expiration date.

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2014 3:46 AM

wasn't the the actor who played Eldin suspected of killing his girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2014 4:06 AM

I had no idea he was gay. He dated Jane Leeves, who also played his girlfriend on the show, and Christa Miller from the Drew Carey Show.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2014 2:19 AM

Corky= Elisabeth Hasselback

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2014 2:39 AM

Grant Shaud is not gay.

Grant Shaud was not and is not an alcoholic.

Grant Shaud is not hung (particularly).

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2014 2:39 AM

[quote]When Season 1 was released on DVD, it was like visiting a better time.

I agree. It's wonderfully dated and takes us back to fascinating people who never heard of a Kardashian and never saw a Z-list singing tramp twerk on TV. The mentions of various celebs and newsmakers from those days are even more fun to hear today than when it was first run. It's one of my favorite shows for returning to the golden days of yesteryear!

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2014 2:41 AM

R16, spill!

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2014 3:22 AM

[quote]Grant Shaud is not gay.

Where did all the twink boyfriend stories originate? They were around before being mentioned at DL.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2014 6:07 PM

Why do you think he was forced of for Lezzy Tomlin?

Grant was straight and Candy wanted some of Tomlin's sweet stuff.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2014 6:33 PM

Colleen Dewhurst was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2014 6:39 PM

This show is VERY dated when you watch it now.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2014 6:44 PM

I agree R31. She was perfect in that role.

In the first season, there was a lot of outstanding interplay between Murphy and Eldon, the painter. They were a great comedic team.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2014 6:46 PM

R33 - Eldon walking in when Murphy is singing Natural Woman is one of the highlights of the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2014 9:30 PM

Funniest episode was when Murphy and Frank went to a woman's house (Murphy's childhood home in another city)in order to dig up some childhood memento. The bitchy woman refused, so Murphy concocted a way that they could sneak into the backward to get the item. There was a shovel there, but it was guarded by the woman's angry mutt.

Frank (nervous): There's a dog back there!

Murphy (pissed off): Is he using the shovel?

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2014 11:46 PM

I'd like to see Murphy's take on the Mozilla Foxfire CEO stepping down.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2014 7:29 PM

[quote] Mozilla Foxfire

Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2021 5:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!