Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nicole Kidman has arrived to her AFI Life Achievement Tribute in LA

She looks RADIANT. Amazing!!!

I don't think we've really analyzed the arc of her career; how she managed one of the most high-profile marriages of the late 20th century, became a box office draw and prestige goddess, seamlessly adapted to prestige TV, and is now firmly embedded in pop culture via the AMC ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2024 5:34 AM

Honey she was never a box office draw. In fact, after she got her pity Oscar, Hollywood didn’t want anything to do with her for ten years. She was able to make a comeback via television.

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2024 1:52 AM

R1 rewriting history. As usual.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2024 1:57 AM

She looks like a drag queen with bad plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2024 2:19 AM

Nicole Kidman receives an AFI Life Achievement tribute before Julia Roberts, the once-reigning queen of Hollywood? Insane.

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2024 2:21 AM

Her hair. WTF. Limp straw.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2024 2:37 AM

R4 she said yes. Julia said no.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2024 2:38 AM

Uh. She is not and never has been a “box office draw.”

She made a shrewd bargain when she married one of the biggest movie stars in the world and therefore had access to the best and biggest agents, managers and publicists in the business. Then she dumped said husband when he was no longer an asset, and sold herself as a hotter-than-hot-newer-than-new independent woman.

She’s attractive and a good actress. But she hasn’t got nearly the range she would like people to think she has, and she is ice cold in every role, no matter how much she tries to project sexiness.

And to get back to square one, she is no box office star, can’t open a movie on her own name and image no matter how much she hopes her damned ridiculous AMC commercial has brainwashed everyone into thinking she’s hot shit.

One can admire her talent and tenacity without making claims she can never live up to. No one cherishes a movie moment of hers or a performance she has given or a movie she was in. She doesn’t live in the mind or memory. She doesn’t have “it” and never will.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2024 2:46 AM

R4 but Julia's filmography Mona Lisa Smile, Eat Pray love, My Best Friend's Wedding, Wonder, Closer, Everyone Says I love You, Stepmom, Mary Reilly, Pretty Woman, Ben Is Back, Secret in Their Eyes, Sleeping with the Enemy, August Osage County, Larry Crowne, Charlie Wilson's War, The Mexican, America's Sweethearts, Notting Hill, Michael Collins, I Love Trouble, Pelican Brief, Dying Young . . .is so trite, formulaic and forgettable. Even Erin Brockovich is formulaic.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2024 2:47 AM

[quote]Nicole Kidman has arrived to her AFI Life Achievement Tribute in LA

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2024 2:47 AM

R4 Roberts hasn’t shown anything approaching Kidman’s range thus far. Not even close. Kidman will be considered a Hollywood legend in the future. Roberts will be considered a toothy star who was good in that hooker fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2024 3:03 AM

I think she looks flat out incredible. Everything is on point. Gorgeous. And she is 56. Also, If I had the paps yelling my name and which way to turn and to flip my hair I would shoot myself within a week. She's earning her dinner at that event.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2024 3:16 AM

Love the hair, love the dress, but …black pumps?? With THAT dress?

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2024 3:18 AM

Amazing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2024 4:02 AM

A dedicated man to array her train 💅🏼

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2024 4:10 AM

I have a dedicated man to array my train as well, it’s one of the FINEST things you can get!

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2024 4:15 AM

[quote] Then she dumped said husband when he was no longer an asset, and sold herself as a hotter-than-hot-newer-than-new - independent woman.

Tom Cruise divorced her, not vice-versa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2024 4:25 AM

😍😍😍😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2024 4:26 AM

R16 she dropped him.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2024 4:26 AM

Her sister, Antonia, always looks so damn dowdy.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2024 10:56 AM

r1 you are off in the head. Nicole was one of Weinstein's muses. He would put her in an expensive drama almost every other year, until he fall from grace. Look at Nicole's IMBD, she is one of the only actresses in Hollywood to have a movie out since 2001! She used the Tom Cruise fame to launch a very succesful acting career. Not all of her movies are turkey's she's played a lot of meaty roles, but to say a woman who has been booked and busy for 23 consecutive years is somehow not wanted by Hollywood is crazy.

In total, she been in, projects. Nicole rarely takes supporting small roles so that means the woman puts in the work. Check her page, it's one of the most impressive Hollywood resumes of any living actor or actress for the sheer breath of work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2024 12:03 PM

before his fall* from grace...

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2024 12:03 PM

Take two: r1 you are off in the head. Nicole was one of Weinstein's muses. He would put her in an expensive drama almost every other year, until his fall from grace.

Look at Nicole's IMBD, she is one of the only actor (male or female) in Hollywood to have a movie EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 2001!

She used the Tom Cruise fame to propel an already succesful acting career from the 90s to loads of work in the 2000s/2010s. Now, not all of her movies are great, she certainly has some turkey's, but to say a woman who has been booked and busy for 23 consecutive years is somehow not wanted by Hollywood is crazy. Her movies are usually decent to really good dramas. She's a true actor's actor.

In total, she been in 95 projects. Nicole rarely takes small roles so that means the woman puts in the work. Check her page, it's one of the most impressive Hollywood resumes of any living or dead actor or actress for the sheer breath of work.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2024 12:08 PM

You're off the charts, OP. "NK has arrived" for an industry rub and tug. As what - the Second Coming?

Why would anyone come here to stan for her? For that matter, who gives a shit about the "arc of her career" besides her and her agent? She doesn't care about you. She wouldn't piss on you if your hair was on fire.

If you like her, you like her. Lots of of people don't - see above.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2024 12:12 PM

Hard to tell on my phone, but it looks like she might have gained 5 pounds, which is good. She was looking almost elderly frail. The hair does look like straw and the color + gold dress against her pink-toned skin is a little off.

I think she’d look better with slightly shorter hair in a toned down color. But she looks good.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2024 12:21 PM

Look, even the Golden Age greats eventually couldn't draw at the box office. We don't see that when we look back at Gene Kelly as a mega icon(yet he fought for the roles Sinatra got in Pal Joey And Guys and Dolls). Most of the greats had maybe a decade...its so wrong to say, just cos they're not a big draw now, that there hasbeens.. and DL does this all the time. Nicole at 56 should never still be the leading lady she was 30 years ago..nor Julia, who is far more beloved than DL likes to give her credit for). And Who has replaced Julia, Nicole, Sandra .... Emma Stone, Zendaya, I cant even think of a 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2024 12:30 PM

The real question is if the old “piss on you if your hair was on fire” troll would piss on you if your hair was on fire.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2024 12:37 PM

There’s something incredibly cold and calculating at her core. I don’t believe the marriage with Tom was at all genuine.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 1:19 PM

R26 if you asked nicely I'm sure it could be arranged.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2024 1:29 PM

She looked so pretty at r16. Nickers had some of the most obvious cosmetic surgery I have seen and at far too young an age .

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2024 1:38 PM

Unfortunately, the AFI Life Achievement Awards which started out splendidly have now resorted to awarding people who still have active careers.

Much like the Oscar's Honorary Award which awarded people with long careers who had never won, though nominated, like Barbara Stanwyck and Cary Grant. (Both old(er) and effectively retired from working.)

Today's awards might be reflective of the idea these days that ..."You get an award, and you get and award, and you get an award...." People who still have an active career. "Oh, you lost the award last year? OK, a special (?) for you.

My big complaint about the Oscar specials is the year that there were people on the board supposedly fighting to see Richard Widmark get a Special Oscar, only to be overruled for it to go to the still actively working surfer boy Redford. Thereby losing a terrific memorable event seeing both Widmark and Poitier receiving specials the same year. A great pair of bookends given Widmark starred with Poitier in SP's first move 1950's "No Way Out".

As to the AFI Award, the mistake is the idea that an award must be given out every year. (Except for 2020 and 2021) Started in 1973 with John Ford and James Cagney and continued...

John Ford

James Cagney

Orson Welles

William Wyler

Bette Davis

Henry Fonda

Alfred Hitchcock

James Stewart

Fred Astaire

Frank Capra

John Huston

Lillian Gish

Gene Kelly

Billy Wilder

Barbara Stanwyck

Gregory Peck

David Lean

Kirk Douglas

Sidney Poitier

Elizabeth Taylor, Jack Nicholson, Stephen Spielberg, Clint Eastwood, Martin Scorsese, Robert Wise, Dustin Hoffman, Harrison Ford (year 2000), Barbra Streisand, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep, George Lucas, Sean Connery, Al Pacino, Warren Beatty, Michael Douglas, Mike Nichols, Morgan Freeman, Shirley MacLaine, Mel Brooks, Jane Fonda, Steve Martin, John Williams, Diane Keaton, George Clooney, Denzel Washington, (None for 2020 and 2021), Julie Andrews, ...Nichole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2024 2:15 PM

r30 they do this to remain relevant. No one will care if an ancient actor gets this award. So you honor a relevant actor still working. Nicole certainly deserves this award so it's actually a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2024 3:54 PM

Meryl Streep giving the worst performance of her life - which is saying something - in praise of Kidman.

Shame Tom Cruise didn’t show up. That would’ve been classy.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2024 10:02 PM

Her dress reminds me of chocolate wrapping.

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2024 10:12 PM

Sunday Rose is all grown up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2024 10:16 PM

Meryl going for the first lady of Romania 80ies vibe with her housdresses lately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2024 12:01 AM

And actually referring to herself as “the best actress of her generation” - gag.

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2024 1:16 AM

Time for your sense of humor tuneup R36.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2024 1:41 AM

She's 56, a little young for life achievement.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2024 1:53 AM

I can’t figure out what Nicole does with her face—sometimes— like in the last season of Big Little Lies and in Nine Perfect Strangers—she looks so damn weird, but then she will come out like this, looking fabulous. Good for her! She needs to STOP with any more face work. She looks just great now.

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2024 3:02 AM

I’m surprised she accepted a Lifetime Achievement Award, given the age connotations.

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2024 3:57 AM

The AFI is a big deal. I am a little surprised they chose Nicole over Jodie and Julia, but I assume they will be next for women.

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2024 4:08 AM

TL, DR. She is a good actress, not great but good. She married Tom to secure her stardom and it worked. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2024 4:12 AM

Interesting that they skipped the unpopular Glenn Close and Jessica Lange, for reasons known to them.

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2024 4:31 AM

They never pick Glenn because no one wants to see scenes from The Wife again.

Plus they’re afraid she’ll dress up as the award.

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2024 5:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!