Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old Time Radio

I’m too young to remember the days of radio, when dramas, mysteries and comedies were widely listened to. Born in the early 60s, I grew up on tv, not radio.

But the idea that people tuned in and listened to these sagas gained new interest for me during the pandemic, when I began to listen to audiobooks. Old time radio is very similar in some ways.

Speaking of old time radio, there’s actually a 24/7 website playing many different serials — see link attached. Have any of you ever “tuned in” there? It’s a fascinating peek into the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2024 6:22 PM

As a kid I got introduced to radio shows back in the early 80s at the tail end of CBS Radio Mystery Theater’s run. After that I discovered Suspense and Dragnet and The Shadow or whatever would pop up on various stations. I still listen and enjoy them. Like you said, a great peek into the past especially if they include old commercials or news updates.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2024 10:21 PM

I was listening to a Buck Rogers from April of 1939, and the actor playing Buck read a commercial for Creamsicles that was so cute — “you really get your nickel’s worth!” Such an innocent time.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2024 10:27 PM

Radio Classic channel on Sirius XM plays old programs.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 10:30 PM

I love old time radio. While I listen to plenty of the comedy, drama, sci-fi, and detective shows, I especially love the other stuff like news, panel shows, soaps, games, and commercials. My favorites are what they used to call "sustaining" (non-sponsored) programs that were community service oriented and filled unsold airtimes on Sunday afternoons and the like.

As with so many other things, the Internet Archive is a great source of OTR for streaming and download. If you become a fan of a particular show, you will probably find every existing episode waiting for you at that site. While searching, I recommend choosing any posting marked "OTRR," which stands for the Old Time Radio Researchers Group. These folks collect the best quality copies of shows and bundle them with lots of extras like actor biographies, press material, obscure test shows, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2024 8:16 AM

Sorry for screwing up my link above. Tyler the Creator was not involved in OTR 😓.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2024 8:19 AM

In all my years listening and looking into old time radio I can’t recall ever coming across any soap operas. Soaps aren’t my thing so maybe I just haven’t paid attention but I’m curious if many radio soaps survive. Maybe the serial nature prevented them from getting much replay. Also I know a lot of surviving radio shows come from recordings sent to the armed services stationed overseas. Maybe soaps weren’t popular with the military.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2024 9:25 AM

Do you listen to YesterdayUSA?

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2024 9:27 AM

I enjoy some old radio shows, especially My Favorite Husband and Our Miss Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2024 9:44 AM

I like the SiriusXM channel, but they play the tackiest, scammiest commercials in existence. I resent having to pay for a subscription and having to listen to that crap.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2024 4:09 PM

I also remember listening to CBS Radio Mystery Theater in the70s. I loved the closing when E.G. Marshall would say, "Until next time: pleasant.... dreams?"

My trouble was that my brain doesn't work as well for listening as it does for reading or for watching TV or movies--I always have trouble paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2024 4:48 PM

You're right about the soaps, R6. It's the same for most other daytime shows. I have a few episodes of The Goldbergs and Ma Perkins in my collection, as well as a nice consecutive chunk of the reboot of my favorite soap, Myrt & Marge.

If you're curious about soaps from the era, here's a sampler from the Internet Archive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2024 6:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!