Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite Disney Movie?

I must admit, "Fantasia" is my all time favorite. I saw it as a kid and loved the cartoony experience with the dancing hoppos, elephants, ostriches and gators. Later, when I was stoned, I loved all of the flowing colors and incredible music. Even now, I appreciate all the different themes in the movie and, of course, the music.

by Anonymousreply 148May 8, 2024 5:30 PM

Sleeping Beauty. The witch was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2024 9:55 PM

Old Yeller.

I hate dogs.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2024 9:59 PM

Alice in Wonderland (animated version )

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 10:14 PM

Mulan (animated). Followed closely by Inside Out.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2024 10:16 PM

I haven’t watched Fantasia since I was a kid. My sister said it sucked so I felt the need to feel that way too. I like the animated versions of Alice in Wonderland and Aladdin the best.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2024 10:16 PM

Song of the South. I don’t know why it doesn’t get more love.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2024 10:55 PM

Alice in Wonderland.

Disney says the characters got away from him and it has no heart but I like it for those reasons. Plus, Alice said what was on her mind unlike so many passive female Disney heroines in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 11:34 PM

I like all the animated movies from the 50s: Cinderella, lady and the tramp, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland.

Alice is probably my favorite because it’s so different from anything else Disney has ever done up until that point.

The style of animation at that time was just gorgeous. When I think of Disney, I think of 1950s Disney. 101 Dalmatians is when things started to go downhill until the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2024 11:58 PM

R2 = Kristi Noem, locked and loaded and headed to the pound.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2024 12:02 AM

Probably Snow White. It was marvelous and has aged very well.

And I love "Someday My Prince Will Come," and its various jazz covers (Oscar Peter has a good one as well).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2024 12:04 AM

The best:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2024 12:05 AM

The most beautiful, frame by frame, is far and away "Pinocchio."

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2024 12:05 AM

[quote]Plus, Alice said what was on her mind unlike so many passive female Disney heroines in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Cinderella was rather sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2024 12:15 AM

[quote]The style of animation at that time was just gorgeous. When I think of Disney, I think of 1950s Disney. 101 Dalmatians is when things started to go downhill until the 1990s.

That's because they started using Xerox, which was cheaper/faster but left the animation looking rather sketchy and cheap.

The 1960s-1980s were a Dark Age for Disney.

The animation was crap and the company lost its way after Walt's death in the late '60s.

In the early '80s, the company was nearly sold and divvied up.

Then came the Renaissance of the late '80s/1990s.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2024 12:22 AM

I like “The Rescuers” but you can actually see the pencil sketches on the alligators at one point. It looks very cheap.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2024 12:25 AM

When was Cinderella sarcastic? She just takes all the shit handed out to her.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2024 12:25 AM

Cinderella!

I always loved the three elderlez fairies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2024 12:26 AM

R17, that’s “Sleeping Beauty”.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2024 12:29 AM

R17 I love them, too. I still have them flying around my Christmas tree every year!

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2024 12:29 AM

You must have been stoned if you saw dancing hoppos.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2024 12:38 AM

[quote]When was Cinderella sarcastic? She just takes all the shit handed out to her.

I haven't watched the movie in forever, but when they receive the invitation to the ball, while the stepsisters are having their music lesson, Cinderella turns to the mice and wonders if she should interrupt the music lesson to inform them. The way she said 'music lesson' and made a face was sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2024 12:39 AM

OH Freaky Friday. I love how both Harris and Foster don't act like each other during the switch. They just act like what they think a caricature of a child and a parent are.

And yet, it works.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2024 12:39 AM

I forgot to mention that the stepsisters' singing was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2024 12:39 AM

*OG, not OH

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2024 12:40 AM

3,in my seat

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2024 12:43 AM

R18, thank you!

I was reading the Cinderella post above me and somehow just copied it down.

In addition to the fairies, I also loved Prince Philip and Maleficent.

- R17

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2024 12:48 AM

Disney poured blood, sweat and tears into making Sleeping Beauty look like a painting come to life. It flopped so spectacularly that it nearly bankrupted the studio (although audiences grew to appreciate it from the 70s onwards). After that, they released the scrappy-looking One Hundred and One Dalmatians, which became the highest-grossing Disney film since Snow White. Presumably, the studio decided it wasn't worth spending so much time and money making a film look beautiful when audiences no longer seemed to value that side of things.

The 50s Disney films really do look like animated storybooks.

It does seem like a horrible waste that Disney spent all those years perfecting the art of hand-drawn animation, but use it so rarely now.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 12:55 AM

Mary Poppins is my sentimental favorite. My Dad used to sing along to the songs, and would get choked up when he got to 'Feed the Birds'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2024 11:48 AM

I used to think it was "The Jungle Book," but a lot of that had to do with the soundtrack album I played over and over and over and.... (my poor mother). I saw it again a few years back and was shocked at how chintzy it was, visually. They reused the same sequence of Mowgli shuffling, scowling and kicking at the dirt over and over and over and...

"Beauty and the Beast" actually stunned me -- totally deserved its Best Picture nomination -- but it didn't stick with me.

So I'm gonna go with "The Apple Dumpling Gang."

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2024 12:00 PM

Ratatouille, if we're counting Disney-owned Pixar movies.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2024 12:03 PM

Just watched MP on bluray. As a boy so bored with the long slow duet with Van Dyke and Tomlinson towards the end. How do kids sit through it especially today coming where it does? Now I think it's wonderful. Disney was brave to keep it in. Also Go to Sleep. Today they would be cut out for slowing down the film. But they really strengthen the characters which help gives the film its emotional power at the end. Matthew Garber gives one of the best child performances in a movie. He's so funny and moving.

And to think Disney was planning his now classic attractions for the NY World's Fair while the film was being made.

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2024 12:10 PM

In Snow White the prince is a stalker and it's so 1937. Weird weird. Snow White needs to be empowered and fairest of them all shouldn't mean beautiful but just and right.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2024 12:18 PM

So many! A Boomer, I was around for most of them!

Animated:

"Lady and the Tramp." "We are Siamese if you please. We are Siamese if you DON'T please!"

Actors: TIE---

"Swiss Family Robinson." A tree-house on an island!

"Sign of Zorro." " Out of the night, when the full moon is bright, came a horseman known as Zorro." The beauteous Guy Williams!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2024 12:50 PM

The bank sequences in ‘Mary Poppins” also slow the movie down to a halt. I am sure Dick Van Dyke thought he was hilarious as the old man but it goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2024 12:50 PM

While “101 Dalmatians” was the first to use the Xerox process, I still find it a very fun movie and think it looks great. The opening credits are very well-done. It must have felt very contemporary and “now” to audiences after all the fairy tales and fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2024 12:53 PM

[quote]Disney poured blood, sweat and tears into making Sleeping Beauty look like a painting come to life. It flopped so spectacularly that it nearly bankrupted the studio (although audiences grew to appreciate it from the 70s onwards). After that, they released the scrappy-looking One Hundred and One Dalmatians, which became the highest-grossing Disney film since Snow White.

Sleeping Beauty was a flop? I would never have known that. It played for a while in my small NJ town, and I got to see it three times. I loved the scene with the three fairies changing her dress color over and over most of all. I don't know if seeing Sleeping Beauty had anything to do with it, but I've often bought three of the same shirt, only in different colors. TBH, I've never thought of it as a phenomenon, or even anything special, until this moment.

I loved 101 Dalmatians. I wasn't at all bothered by the way it looked. I guess I'm not that sophisticated about animation, or visual influences in general. I'm never the one who shrieks "But it's photoshoppppppped," for example. After seeing the movie, I rushed out to the local bookstore to buy the original novel by Dodie Smith. I loved Pongo and Perdida, I guess.

My favorite Disney films, however, were the original version of The Parent Trap and one that had both Tim Considine (my first crush) and Tommy Kirk in it. I think it was The Shaggy Dog. Anything with Tim Considine in it was my favorite Disney thing, whether a movie or a TV program.

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2024 12:55 PM

R2 is headed to the gravel pit.

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2024 12:58 PM

I always liked The Moonspinners; Hayley Mills, a very cute guy and Pola Negri to boot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2024 1:07 PM

Thomasina — because I love cats and Patrick McGoohan was hot in his prime

The Parent Trap (original) — dumb story but there’s Brian Keith and that fantastic California house his character lived in.

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2024 1:16 PM

The Rocketeer

Child of Glass

Watcher in the Woods

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2024 1:17 PM

Classic animation - Pinocchio

Modern animation - Beauty and the Beast

Live action - The Three Lives of Thomasina

Mixed - Mary Poppins

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2024 1:24 PM

I found a lot of the animated movies quite depressing as a kid, and I wasn't interested in princess crap. The movies I remember enjoying the most were Robin Hood, The Great Mouse Detective, Jungle Book, Sword in the Stone. Maybe the animation wasn't as good as the classic era, but that's not as important as the story for me.

The live action Disney films were (mostly - Old Yeller notwithstanding) more fun and less depressing. I liked quite a few of those - the original Freaky Friday would probably be my #1. Mary Poppins is a classic, and Midnight Madness is my favorite guilty pleasure movie of all time.

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2024 1:24 PM

Robin Hood. I just love the soundtrack. I also remember impressing my mother when I identified the sheriff of Nottingham as Mr Haney (Pat Buttram) from Green Acres.

The live action films haunt me. The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and Big Red especially.

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2024 1:41 PM

I hated the princess crap too while Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood made a big impression. When Merlin in Sword turned himself into a germ to defeat the dragon (Mim) I thought it was so brilliant.

Loved Parent Trap and Pollyanna and adored Haley Mills. Sang the songs from Mary Poppins so much as a kid they, and the movie, give me a headache now (I tried to watch it again as an adult).

by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2024 1:42 PM

Lady & The Tramp. It was the first movie my parents ever took me to. I was also a huge fan of Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland.

When 101 Dalmatians came out I realized it looked a little different, but it’s not like it was a Hana Barbera cartoon, it was high quality and I loved it.

I still watch all these movies. I was always underwhelmed by Snow White though for some reason even though I loved the animation. And as much as I loved the characters of Bambi and Dumbo… I can only watch parts of those movies.

I also loved the Hayley Mills movies.

by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2024 2:10 PM

“Snow White” moves very slowly and can be a bit dull to the contemporary viewer. But the moment when the evil queen whirls around and her cape swirls behind her is stunning animation.

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2024 2:24 PM

I can’t get over how ugly Hayley Mills is with that terrible short hair in “The Parent Trap.” Was that a wig or did they actually do that to her willingly?

by Anonymousreply 47April 28, 2024 2:25 PM

“Lady and the Tramp” was the first widescreen Disney cartoon and it looks wonderful. I never liked though how the Siamese Cars get away with shit and Aunt Sarah isn’t given a comeuppance.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2024 2:27 PM

Lady and the Tramp, a critical view:

“There is something depressing about [the Disney movie The Lady and The Tramp] and it’s not really about dogs; except for some superficial bow-wow stuff at the start, the dogs all represent human types–which is where it gets into real trouble. Lady, the ostensible protagonist, is a fluffy blond cocker spaniel with absolutely nothing on her brain. She’s great-looking but–let’s be honest–incredibly insipid.” […]

“Tramp, the love interest,” he continued, “is a smarmy braggart of the most obnoxious kind–an oily jailbird out for a piece of tail, or whatever he can get–“

“Oh come on,” Charlotte said.

“No. He’s a self-confessed chicken thief and all-around sleezeball. […] What’s the function of a film of this kind? Essentially it’s a primer on love and marriage directed at very young people–imprinting on their little psyches the idea that smooth-talking delinquents recently escaped from the local pound are a good match for nice girls from sheltered homes. When in ten years the icky human version of Tramp shows up around the house, their hormones will be racing and no one’ll understand why–films like this program women to adore jerks–“ . “The only sympathetic character, the little Scottie who’s so concerned about Lady, is mocked as old-fashioned and irrelevant and shunted off to the side.” […]

“Isn’t the whole point that Tramp changes?” Des argued.

“Okay, maybe in the past he stole chickens, ran around without a license, and was not always sincere with members of the opposite sex. But through his love for Lady–and the beneficent influence of fatherhood and matrimony–he changes and becomes a valued member of that, you know, rather idyllic… household,” he concluded, rather moved.

“I don’t think people really change that way,” Josh said: “We can change our context, but we can’t change ourselves.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2024 2:34 PM

One very false note—for a guy with a fancy education, he doesn’t know the correct pronunciation of primer. As used, it should be a short i and not a long i.

He loses a hotness point in that scene…

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2024 3:17 PM

"Aladdin" because of the music and Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2024 3:19 PM

"The Tattooed Police Horse" is an amazing little movie but impossible to find.

by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2024 3:23 PM

The Rocking Horse Winner. Was that Disney?

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2024 3:26 PM

[quote] he doesn’t know the correct pronunciation of primer.

Well shit, went past me but I wonder how that got by Stillman.

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2024 3:34 PM

I don't blame the actor; I blame the director.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2024 4:40 PM

R36, "Spin and Marty"! 🥰

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2024 5:00 PM

I wish Disney would go back to their classic animation style and create films based on fairytales from different cultures (Not just European fairytales) but one can only dream…

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2024 5:03 PM

Lefou‘s Fifty Load Jamboree.

by Anonymousreply 58April 28, 2024 5:07 PM

Both: Guilty!—as charged with inferior pronunciation —thirty lashes with a wet noodle.

by Anonymousreply 59April 28, 2024 5:08 PM

Dumbo, as far as the messages in it and the sentiment. I never cried so much in my entire life like I did in this scene.

For princess movies, probably Sleeping Beauty, it's pretty gothic and violent.

by Anonymousreply 60April 28, 2024 5:15 PM

R39, Patrick was, indeed! Unfortunately, he never became as big (or as wealthy) a star as he might have because---and "Thomasina" is an example---he refused to kiss or have any serious romance on film, period (though he did enjoy working with Susan Hampshire, here and in two "Danger Man" episodes). McGoohan was offered First Dibs on 007, said no; then on "The Saint," and said no. Both Plan Bs (Connery and Moore) said yes, respectively, and Moore also played Bond.

R38, Your unnamed "very cute guy" was the wonderful Peter McEnery! "The Moonspinner" was Hayley Mills' first "grown-up" film.

R47, You were clearly never a young girl! We adored Hayley Mills in every role! We wanted to be her! As for her "ugly" hair in "The Parent Trap"---do you not know she played twins? And that their hairdos were their literally distinguishing feature?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 28, 2024 5:16 PM

Sorry forgot to post the vid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 28, 2024 5:16 PM

Walt had the hots for Hayley—or his assistant(s) did.

by Anonymousreply 63April 28, 2024 5:19 PM

Cinderella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 28, 2024 5:22 PM

“Bambi Goes All The Way For A Buck.” It works on a couple of levels.

by Anonymousreply 65April 28, 2024 5:24 PM

Blame it on the Samba

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 28, 2024 5:39 PM

Alice in Wonderland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 28, 2024 10:48 PM

Tinkerbell Returns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 29, 2024 6:08 PM

Live action — Hayley Mills’s The Parent Trap

Animated — Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and The Emperor’s New Groove (hilarious)

by Anonymousreply 69April 29, 2024 9:54 PM

I loved Sleepy Hollow, but it was the Johnny Depp version. He was dreamy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 29, 2024 11:28 PM

Does anyone remember the live action Disney movies That Darn Cat and the Ugly Dachshund? People always look at me like I’m crazy when I bring up these movies. They seem to be forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 29, 2024 11:42 PM

Lady and the Tramp.

I

by Anonymousreply 72April 29, 2024 11:45 PM

R70 the prompt was Disney, not “Disney.”

by Anonymousreply 73April 29, 2024 11:46 PM

Hayley Mills forever! What I liked about Moonspinners is she and her aunt (?) were traveling around Crete in a local bus intending to visit classical ruins and they were both knowledgeable about Ancient Greece. Which is so different from nowadays when most take a taxi from the airport to their resort and spend the day shopping, drinking, or at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 74April 29, 2024 11:50 PM

R74, it was a fucking fictional movie.

by Anonymousreply 75April 29, 2024 11:52 PM

R75, I suspect R74 knows that but was commenting how they were portrayed as knowledgeable tourists. Actually, we took a family trip to Europe when I was a kid in that era, not luxury, and my Dad made us all study each city beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 76April 30, 2024 12:08 AM

What *I* liked about Moon-Spinners...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2024 12:20 AM

Fantasia is the only one that I've seen more than once, my family used to watch it every year. Other than that, I liked the live action stuff like Escape to Witch Mountain and Bedknobs & Broomsticks, but I haven't seen them more than a couple of times.

I really like the recent Cruella.

by Anonymousreply 78April 30, 2024 12:52 AM

[quote] Mary Poppins is my sentimental favorite. My Dad used to sing along to the songs, and would get choked up when he got to 'Feed the Birds'.

Did he also enjoy white wine spritzers and take it up the ass?

by Anonymousreply 79April 30, 2024 1:31 AM

Favorite Live Action: Swiss Family Robinson. Wanted to live in the treehouse with Fritz and set up traps to catch pirates.

Second Place: Mary Poppins. London fascinated me. Dancing on the rooftops seemed fun. Loved Bert’s orange striped jacket and white pants outfit.

Favorite Animated Film- Beauty and the Beast. Saw it when I was 11 and it was the first time I felt the ‘Disney Magic’. It was amazing.

Second Place: Sleeping Beauty. Maleficent, Phillip and his singing voice, the fairies, the dragon- all great.

Favorite Short- Donald's Snow Fight. I’d watch this over and over. Loved the ice ship and when Donald turned the snowballs into missiles.

Second place- Pluto’s Christmas Tree. Chip and Dale were such rascals.

Favorite 21st Century Live Action Film- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Delightfully and unexpectedly fun movie. Captain Jack Sparrow was such an original character. I lost the plot somewhere in movie three, but the first was a winner.

Favorite 21st Century Animated Film- Zootopia and Moana (tied).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 30, 2024 1:50 AM

It's a jolly holiday with Mary...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 30, 2024 2:32 AM

Scary Mary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 30, 2024 2:50 AM

Fantasia on LSD is fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 83April 30, 2024 2:59 AM

I did Disneyland on acid.

by Anonymousreply 84April 30, 2024 3:04 AM

[quote]It does seem like a horrible waste that Disney spent all those years perfecting the art of hand-drawn animation, but use it so rarely now.

I mean, a lot of it is Rotoscoped.

by Anonymousreply 85April 30, 2024 3:10 AM

Disney Made a House of the Future

Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 30, 2024 3:45 AM

R75, I’m sure you didn’t mean to come across as hostile to R74, because all he said was,

[quote] What I liked about Moonspinners …

He is sharing with us what he likes.

And I bet he knows that it’s “a fictional movie.”

by Anonymousreply 87April 30, 2024 3:59 AM

Alice in Wonderland genuinely makes me laugh out loud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 30, 2024 4:25 AM

I love [italic]That Darned Cat[/italic], but I don't recall [italic]the Ugly Dachsund[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 89April 30, 2024 7:56 AM

R84 I did it on mushrooms—one of best days I’ve ever had. So much fun 💫

by Anonymousreply 90April 30, 2024 8:06 AM

90 replies and no love for The Little Mermaid ? Wow!

I love that drag queen Ursula, and how very musical that 1989 film was. The story, of course, was "schmalzy". I remember seeing it somewhere in the mid 90s, I was about 6-7 years old, and I had the hots for both King Triton and Prince Eric...

The Lady and the Tramp was a beautiful, kind film. Beauty and the Beast was to me, as a wee gayling, extremely exciting (and scary). I was mesmerised by that glowing rose.

Fantasia is the ultimate film to watch when you are ill. The visuals are still so very stunning and the stories so soothing.

by Anonymousreply 91April 30, 2024 8:32 AM

Fantasia 2000 anyone? The whales breaching to The Pines of Rome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 30, 2024 8:51 AM

R92

by Anonymousreply 93April 30, 2024 9:34 AM

Pinocchio is not only my favorite Disney movie, but it’s also my favorite movie. The animation is stunning as is the score.

by Anonymousreply 94April 30, 2024 10:03 AM

[quote]You must have been stoned if you saw dancing hoppos.

R20 - OP is right; there were hippos dancing to Ponchielli in Fantasia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 30, 2024 10:08 AM

[quote]Does anyone remember the live action Disney movies That Darn Cat and the Ugly Dachshund? People always look at me like I’m crazy when I bring up these movies. They seem to be forgotten.

THAT DARN CAT was remade in the late '90s with Christina Ricci.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2024 10:40 AM

A Goofy Movie and A Very Goofy Movie

by Anonymousreply 97April 30, 2024 11:05 AM

The first VHS video cassette we owned, yes OWNED, was The fox and the hound. I loved how they became friends b4 they knew they were meant to be enemies...its such a strong message. MP is perfection, Julie is magnificent and as stated above, Matthew Garber was comedy gold. Beauty & the beast stunned me also; I felt it was the closest thing to the wizard of oz I'd ever seen. The music is pretty incredible. I like Hunchback of Notre dame too.

by Anonymousreply 98April 30, 2024 11:15 AM

Snow...Portrait of a Teenage Runaway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 1, 2024 1:47 AM

#𝟒. Fantasia 2000 (1999)

#𝟑. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949)

#𝟐. Fantasia (1940)

#𝟏. Sleeping Beauty (1959)

by Anonymousreply 100May 1, 2024 5:32 PM

Mary in Manhattan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 1, 2024 5:38 PM

Ariel is another one to lure out of retirement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 3, 2024 8:00 PM

I hated Mary Poppins when I was a child but now it's my favorite Disney movie and one of my favorite movies of all time.

As a child, I loved Dumbo. Watched it a million times. I still think it's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 103May 3, 2024 8:03 PM

The Cat From Outer Space

Vinton Harper & 'One-Eyed' Duncan stop an alien invasion of pussy!

by Anonymousreply 104May 3, 2024 8:10 PM

I love the opening sequence of Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's one of my favorites. When Clopin hits that final note ("the bells of Notre Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!!!!!"), it sends chills down my spine. It's supposedly unheard of how he sang that note. It really is difficult to pick out a favorite Disney movie, though.

by Anonymousreply 105May 3, 2024 8:19 PM

Bong...bong...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 3, 2024 8:22 PM

I hate them all, and wonder about anyone who doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 107May 3, 2024 8:29 PM

As a child of the 80s, I absolutely LOVED Flight of the Navigator. The best day ever was when a substitute would show to the class it in the afternoon if we were good. I remember loving The Rescuers, too.

Of the classic films, I’d say Fox and the Hound is my favorite animated film and Swiss Family Robinson, my favorite live action film. As a boy I read every “marooned on a desert island” adventure book I could get my hands on.

by Anonymousreply 108May 3, 2024 8:36 PM

Return from Witch Mountain (1978). Kim Richards, Ike Eisenmann, Jack Soo, Christopher Lee, Ward Costello, Denver Pyle, and Tina Yothers' brother, Poindexter. And as if that wasn't enough star power for ten movies... Miss Bette Davis. An indisputable classic.

by Anonymousreply 109May 3, 2024 9:01 PM

Disney Made a House of the Future: Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 3, 2024 9:05 PM

"O sword of truth fly swift and sure that evil dies and good endures."

Gets me every time.

Also posters have linked Jack Plotnicks' Disney parody clips. They're really well done. Evil and funny.

by Anonymousreply 111May 3, 2024 9:14 PM

[quote]The bank sequences in ‘Mary Poppins” also slow the movie down to a halt.

A shame they were such an important part of the plot.

by Anonymousreply 112May 3, 2024 9:24 PM

"Lady and the Tramp"

by Anonymousreply 113May 3, 2024 9:37 PM

Loved MOON PILOT, just remove the chimp. Tom Tryon and Dany Saval were a very sexy couple.

by Anonymousreply 114May 3, 2024 9:39 PM

As far as live action Disney, my favorite would be 𝟐𝟎,𝟎𝟎𝟎 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝐔𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐚 (1954).

by Anonymousreply 115May 3, 2024 9:46 PM

My massive black hole

by Anonymousreply 116May 3, 2024 10:11 PM

Well, r116...you try.

by Anonymousreply 117May 3, 2024 10:45 PM

Disney Made a House of the Future: Part 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 3, 2024 10:46 PM

The Lion King and Beauty And The Beast. Also, the original Freaky Friday with Jodie Foster.

by Anonymousreply 119May 3, 2024 11:03 PM

Reading this thread I realize how many I haven't seen. Never saw Dumbo, for one. Weren't some of these movies shown, in serial parts, on the old tv show? I was very young then, but old enough to remember when Disneyworld in Orlando was "coming soon" as Project Florida.

Many of the old animated pictures weren't available when I was a kid. They'd pull something out of the vault once in a while, Snow White was a revelation to me.

by Anonymousreply 120May 3, 2024 11:30 PM

You *must*...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 3, 2024 11:33 PM

Night Clit

by Anonymousreply 122May 4, 2024 12:12 AM

THE THREE CABALLEROS is my favorite. It's the freakiest thing ever to come out of that studio:. An animated Mary Blair mash-up of HELLZAPOPPIN' and THE GANGS'S ALL HERE. You can't help but feel that Ward Kimbell smoked a lot of peyote to come up with visual ideas for it.

CINDERELLA is perhaps the best all-around fairy-tale. It has a fair amount off drama and a lot of the set-ups are right out of film noir. And Cinderella has more personality than Snow White or Princess Aurora - through Walt nixed a scene where the morning after the ball, Cinderella innocently asks her Stepfamily at breakfast "So, how was the ball? Anything interesting happen?" "Oh there was this beautiful girl who had the princes attention all through it. We never had a chance with him!" The Stepmother looks up with a look of mild suspicion. Cinderella leaves, closes the door behind her and hides a big grin and stifles giggles as she walks upstairs. Disney perversely thought the scene made Cinderella unsympathetic.

Someone once described the Stepmother as Disney's most evil villain because she never raises her voice.

Love the original 101 DALMATIANS. It has a lot of droll cheeky humor somewhat atypical for Disney. And I think it was Richard Schickel (who was generally not a fan of Disney) who brilliantly described Cruella deVil as "Auntie Mame as drawn by Charles Addams".

by Anonymousreply 123May 4, 2024 1:21 PM

[quote]Someone once described the Stepmother as Disney's most evil villain because she never raises her voice.

Also she has no magical powers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 4, 2024 2:57 PM

PINOCCHIO, hands down. The lavish animation, the unforgettable scenes - "Pleasure Island", and the horrible fate of the boys...and Monstro the whale, genuinely terrifying - and that water animation is so realistic! And of course, the Blue Fairy!

by Anonymousreply 125May 4, 2024 3:49 PM

R105, the ending of The Hunchback of Notre Dame always gets to me too.

by Anonymousreply 126May 4, 2024 3:59 PM

[quote] My massive black hole

R116 Wasn't that a Diana Ross movie?

by Anonymousreply 127May 4, 2024 4:02 PM

The Sword in the Stone was my favorite, as a kid. Partly because I saw it in one of those big movie palaces, partly because I kind of looked and felt like that little kid and it was a wish fulfillment fantasy to think about pulling the sword from the stone and everyone who picked on me realizing I was the king.

by Anonymousreply 128May 4, 2024 4:53 PM

In both “Sword in the Stone” and “The Jungle Book,” the actors who played Mowgli and Wart both hit puberty while recording their roles as the voices change dramatically.

by Anonymousreply 129May 4, 2024 5:18 PM

The Lion King

Which is also turning 30 this year.

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 130May 4, 2024 5:35 PM

Is The Lion King the one that's basically a remake of Bambi?

by Anonymousreply 131May 4, 2024 5:36 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 132May 4, 2024 5:44 PM

[quote] Song of the South. I don’t know why it doesn’t get more love.

Yup, it’s an all around classic.

by Anonymousreply 133May 4, 2024 5:44 PM

[quote]Is The Lion King the one that's basically a remake of Bambi?

No, it's Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 134May 4, 2024 5:55 PM

from Symposium on Popular Songs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 4, 2024 11:22 PM

As ana adult my favorite Disney movie is probably Saludos Amigos.

by Anonymousreply 136May 5, 2024 4:58 PM

I also bought a lot of those True Life Adventures on DVD. I thought they would be nostalgic, and they were.

by Anonymousreply 137May 5, 2024 4:59 PM

From Make Mine Music...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 5, 2024 5:03 PM

I saw most of these Disney features on the old, original Disney channel (nothing like the current one, or even the one in between those two). It had kiddie stuff in the morning, teen shows in the afternoon and was evening/weekend viewing for adults. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 139May 5, 2024 5:35 PM

101 Dalmations.

by Anonymousreply 140May 5, 2024 5:42 PM

Spin & Marty

by Anonymousreply 141May 5, 2024 6:51 PM

Bambi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 5, 2024 7:00 PM

[quote]the ending of The Hunchback of Notre Dame always gets to me too.

When he stands erect and dances out of the cathedral?

by Anonymousreply 143May 5, 2024 7:47 PM

Why was I not made of stone, like thee?

😥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 5, 2024 8:02 PM

Laughton did it better.

Sanctuary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 5, 2024 8:06 PM

Disney Made a House of the Future: Part 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 6, 2024 3:52 AM

One of the most surrealistic - and best - things that ever came out of the studio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 8, 2024 5:09 PM

Disney Made a House of the Future: Part 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 8, 2024 5:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!