Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don Lemon tells Bill Maher DEI ‘It’s become a religion’

Former CNN host Don Lemon offered tough words for the Diversity Equity and Inclusion crowd, warning that woke backers of the concept are moving off the reservation.

“There are some great things about DEI, but it’s not all roses and we need to take a look at it and do some rejiggering. It’s gone too far. It’s become a religion and if you don’t abide by the religion you get kicked out of the church,” Lemon said during an interview on “Real Time” with Bill Maher on Friday.

Lemon made his remarks during a discussion with NYU professor Scott Galloway about recent accusations that NPR had gone off the woke deep end.

Its CEO Katherine Maher has come in for extensive mockery for thousands of X posts espousing liberal pablum.

“I think a lot of media companies need to do some self-examination about what’s happening inside the company,” Lemons said.

“I am going to get a lot of s–t from liberals for saying what I said,” Lemon laughed. “I like DEI, but when it becomes a religion it can be used as a cudgel.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2024 12:01 AM

“rejiggering” is pretty close to what you could say needs to be done to it

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2024 8:33 PM

Look who you’re defending, Don. Asshole is a gateway drug.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2024 8:36 PM

Oh, pulling up the ladder behind you, Don, dear?

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 8:38 PM

[quote] “rejiggering” is pretty close to what you could say needs to be done to it

Funny enough, that’s ALMOST the same work they used at CNN after they fired DL.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2024 8:40 PM

NY Post out of Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2024 8:41 PM

I’m tired of it too...if you're a fat slob in a bikini on Instagram, I’m going to tell you you’re a fat slob . None of this “Oh you are beautiful” crap. Im so tired of making a mistake by posting a repy telling someone they have a real body then I become a hater... you want hate, I’ll give you hate :-)

Yeah, you stun for reasons other than beauty

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2024 9:01 PM

Don has dropped ALL THE BLUBBER. He's quite thin on Maher.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 9:08 PM

Skinny Don

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2024 9:13 PM

And Kennedy's voice was horrible. Parkinsons?

by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2024 9:14 PM

I watch (sometimes struggle through) Maher’s HBO Show Real Time. He’s pretty uneven but lands a few jokes that are likely written for him. Last night the panel had two characters that aren’t so appealing to me personally, but the discussion moved along well enough. Maher did call Lemon out on some posturing (Lemon “I’m experienced being the only person who looks like me in the room” Maher: “There are three of us here”. Lemon slouches and squints trying to scan the audience trying to recover the moment with some faint humor).

Galloway landed a few clever phrases and manages (gingerly) to sound hip and smart, but looks a little terrified when things go sideways for him. His characterization of youth as asexual, economically hobbled by a shitty gig economy, unlikely to own homes, was pretty stark and likely true.

The panel as a whole, lamenting how no one meets anyone in a bar anymore, sounded sad and anachronistic. Galloway’s thesis about younger adults being undersexed turned a bit creepy and lurid. It was a good example “stunt commentary “, burping up a transgressive idea, and having three data points spooled up when Maher zeroed in on him. Galloway looks and sounds like the spawn of Camille Paglia and John Stossel.

RFK Jr looked and sounded so awful. Is he dying?

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2024 10:34 PM

He has spent a lot of time demonizing "political correctness" and has now moved on to "wokeness"

This idiot needs a new act

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2024 10:36 PM

That Galloway bit was pre-prepared. Booked by Maher. It's one of Galloway's frequent "insights" on his podcast with Kara Swisher. The economic analysis may be correct but he is very repetitive about delivering it. I think the part about the unfucked young men includes some projection based on his own youth and I also think the situation varies by country and perhaps economic class.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2024 10:38 PM

[quote] X posts espousing liberal pablum.

“Liberal pablum,” said one of the leading sources of rightwing propaganda in America, proving irony is surely dead.

[quote]“I think a lot of media companies need to do some self-examination about what’s happening inside the company,” Lemons said.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2024 10:39 PM

Maher’s joke suggesting that these college protesters hang onto their tents for after graduation rang true. It’s going to be a rough start for the next generation of college graduates, with a few lucky exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2024 11:06 PM

Don's correct.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2024 11:12 PM

He's obviously looking for a job, but he's also not saying anything as controversial as Maher or the New York Post (or even Murdoch-haters) would have you believe. DEI initiatives are important but they're often cynically conceived as a means of institutional self-promotion. If it's not taken seriously and pursued thoughtfully, it trivializes what it's meant to bolster. Similar to the commercialization of Pride month.

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2024 11:34 PM

It’s all about the trans

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2024 11:38 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2024 11:45 PM

Don looks hot as fuck there. Too bad he's yet another wealthy, middle aged man complaining about DEI instead of REAL issues like income inequality, money in politics etc. So predictable.

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2024 11:47 PM

Bill Maher stated weeks ago that he was going to show video every every week of Trump dancing at his rallies or in Bill's words looking like he's jerking off two guys. It never fails to make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2024 11:53 PM

R20 That has been a very well done running gag (no pun intended) this season.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2024 12:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!