Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TASTEFUL FRIENDS: A CONNECTICUT HILLTOP HOME

With lot of glass to clean on 50 acres of hilltop, so there's views; a hanger for your plane and a garage big enough for a car collection AND the only private FAA-approved landing strip in the entire state. I know they probably have to leave some of the lawn clear, but the landscaping is particularly uninspired. Three million ask and the taxes are only $25k? In Connecticut?

The angles in the kitchen photos made me dizzy, the (Chinese red or is that a burnt something?) color in the dining room doesn't flatter the diners and the kitchen pass-through's a bit more informal than I'd like, plus a lot of the decor has a kind of uninspired Bob's Furniture vibe to it. You could fix that: Eames Lounge Chairs instead of the "Stressless" numbers shown for starters. I dunno, though: 30 minutes to NYC or Boston by plane. You could live like a super hero (or villain) in your hilltop lair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2024 3:32 AM

Hate the terrazzo floors, hate the institutional-looking staircase. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2024 8:39 PM

Yeah, not at all enticing.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2024 8:42 PM

Yikes.

That house has "home invasion with family held hostage for days" written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 8:45 PM

Hideous McMansion with appalling décor (1970s floral print carpeting on the stairs, pieces of furniture from every period haphazardly displayed next to each other, enough minimalist monochromatic settings to make Barbra Streisand have an orgasm), that stands right next to what looks like a light aircraft runway.

No. Just no. And besides OP, isn't it wasteful to be forced to live in a place where you have to fly to get to a major city? I can only imagine how expensive keeping a small aircraft must be.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2024 8:49 PM

Very unattractive. Neither the interior nor the exterior is appealing.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2024 8:51 PM

Bristol is not the place to live.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2024 8:55 PM

how do people afford these crazy property taxes? (I’m poor)

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 9:03 PM

The house can't decide what decade it's in or wants to be in. The exterior isn't ugly--most McMansions are.

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2024 9:15 PM

Hideous from every angle

by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2024 9:31 PM

Bulldoze. Land value.

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2024 9:34 PM

It looks like an abandoned hotel from 1987.

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2024 9:37 PM

[quote]a hanger for your plane

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2024 9:51 PM

The framed portraits are making a valiant attempt to look all "Connecticut" but can't stand a chance against the pasteboard "modern" architecture. I guess if you need a private airstrip you take what you can get, paisley wallpaper and all.

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2024 10:03 PM

Yeah, boring.

What do you like about his, OP?

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2024 10:10 PM

Why wouldn’t you have a wild yard? The buzzcut kills it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2024 10:10 PM

Hideously dated. I absolutely detest homes built in that period (I don't like the fashion either). I'm surprised it doesn't have an octagonal window, and forest green and peach faux finishes. I saw it all over the place as a kid. The property is nice, though.

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2024 10:32 PM

$3 million to live in Bristol? Fucking BRISTOL? That's hilarious.

Bristol is a rough around the edges town, very blue collar.

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2024 10:45 PM

Hey, R17, at least it's not Torrington!

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2024 10:58 PM

Torrington is downright scary!

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2024 10:59 PM

Looks like a conference center.

And Bristol? Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2024 11:27 PM

Hated it!

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2024 11:30 PM

Yuck too

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2024 1:04 AM

I remember it as very Italian. Camaros and Trans Ams everywhere. Always black. That was 70s-80s.

Ha! Yeah. I'm sure it hasn't changed in what? 40 or 50 years? Oops, sometimes we boomers get lost. Edibles

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2024 1:11 AM

r23 the demographics have changed somewhat but it's still a rough blue collar town. I don't live too far from Bristol and go through there occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2024 1:16 AM

Is this where WINGS was filmed?

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2024 1:17 AM

Come on, Bristol isn't that bad. It's better than New Britain.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2024 1:40 AM

Hard Hittin' New Britain!

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 1:42 AM

JFC what a horror. On the bright side, the April 2 post from McMansion Hell could have been written just for this, without amendments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2024 2:11 AM

r28 that house is unbelievably hideous, and the captions to the photos are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2024 2:23 AM

Bad architecture inside and outside.

This is what happens when you let a builder act as your architect (and pay some architect a few thousand to sign off on the drawings and specs.). Even Sotheby's description says it all "custom designed" where if the architect had the least reputation, his name would have been in the listing description.

There's no evidence of any knowledge of architecture or architectural problem solving, this was just some guy who had a long wish list and everything he realized he'd forgotten about the swimming pool or the double-height space he just drew lines off in a new direction and made a new wing.

The fenestration is pitiful, and yet the Pella window guy probably made more money than anyone. Ugly, stock windows massed to no particular advantage, trying to be focal points that define one amorphous space from another. Was it built as a Sofa Warehouse showroom? If not, there's no excuse for that level of mundane and bad design everywhere.

And that fucking landing strip bisecting the property, the pride of place of the whole mess.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2024 3:03 AM

Great home for my pilot. But I'm not living there.

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2024 3:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!