Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Autobiographies that changed your opinion of the author

Which memoirs have increased your appreciation—or your dislike—of the author?

by Anonymousreply 129May 1, 2024 11:41 AM

Alison Arngrim’s “Confessions of a Prairie Bitch” and Michelle Obama’s “Becoming” were honest and beautifully written.

The ones that didn’t come off well were Matthew Perry (obviously)-I hated that mofo long before the last page.

Surprisingly, Amy Poehler’s book had a disappointing meanness and immaturity.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2024 3:54 PM

Tina Fey's too. I looooved Prairie Bitch and recommend to you all. Allison needs a comeback role

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2024 3:55 PM

Surprisingly after reading Bob Odenkirk's book I ended up liking him a lot less.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 3:59 PM

Also tone-deaf (though not surprising) — Patti LuPone’s book did her no favors.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2024 4:02 PM

What did you learn that made you feel differently about the person? I'm posing this question to everybody.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2024 4:07 PM

I loved Eve Arden, and still do. Yet, her autobiography, “The Three Phases of Eve”, was incredibly dull.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2024 4:25 PM

Keith Richards' book made me like him more. He comes across as a really good guy with a generous spirit.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 4:36 PM

Cloris Leachman

Tippi Hedren

Meredith Baxter

Mary Tyler Moore

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2024 1:32 AM

Shirley Jones

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2024 1:41 AM

Melissa Gilbert's "Prairie Girl" made me think she was an entitled bitch still clutching to ridiculous grudges from decades past.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2024 1:51 AM

Patrick Stewart - he grew up really poor in backward northern England.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2024 1:58 AM

I didn't care much for Cassidy Hutchinson's book. She made herself the center of all the action. Sure, the story needed to be told, but you weren't that important!

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2024 2:15 AM

Helen Lawson's [italic]Well, How Do Ya Like That?[/italic] made her out for the most part to be what I had already expected.

However, I was much surprised by her often tender descriptions of her torrid decades-long affair with married character actor Gale Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2024 2:57 AM

r12 Wow, that's so weird for an AUTOBIOGRAPHY

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2024 3:08 AM

That Republicunt who shot her dog. Not that I would read her book.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2024 3:19 AM

Lips Unsealed by Belinda Carlisle. I think I was expecting a gossipy, fun show biz memoir, but she really spares no detail about her coke addiction and the havoc it created in her personal and professional life. Some of the stories are so over the top crazy that they are funny, but others reflect very badly on her, and her account is much darker and more self-critical than I anticipated. I always liked her, but after reading her book I admired her for being so open and honest, for not playing the victim and being able to laugh at herself, and for finally getting and staying clean. She's a pretty good writer and it's an interesting story she has to tell.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2024 3:27 AM

Not an autobiography (sorry!), but Mary Gabriel’s Madonna: A Febel Life made me radically change my opinion of Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2024 3:29 AM

Burt Bacharach’s autobiography painted him as a shallow, cold man who admitted he couldn’t “relate” to his special needs daughter.

Angie comes off as a saint and the last of the good old broads.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2024 3:34 AM

Patti Boyd. I was expecting that the gorgeous girl that inspired "something" by George Harrison and "Layla" by Clapton would be funny. Or smarter. Or less boring. It took me forever to get through it and it's a small book.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2024 3:34 AM

Shelley Winters. Before I had read her two autobiographies, I had only seen her films and really didn’t know much about her. In her books, she comes off as more cray-cray than I had imagined.

When a show of hers closed, she bought the set and had it stored in a warehouse in New Jersey.

She was up for two movies, one she really wanted to do. So she gorged on food to look fat for the audition of the movie she didn’t want. Then she went into a steam room to sweat off the weight so she would look good for the picture she wanted.

She just seemed to make a lot of wacky decisions.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2024 3:45 AM

Streisand's. As much of a fan I have been of hers since 1977, I was totally turned off by her constant bashing of her (dead) mother, and her bashing of other dead people. I really expected better from her.

Plus, who would believe a woman who spent 60 years in Hollywood could be so boring ?

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2024 4:02 AM

George W Bush: refused to accept any blame. The mantra of the book "I made the best decision I could with the information I had available plus I had good intentions". A weak and supremely arrogant man. I wasn't surprised during the 20th anniversary of the Iraq invasion when he put the word out that he didn't have any regrets.

Tony Blair: fake as fuck. Refused to criticize anyone. Diplomatic to the point of being very annoying. It makes total sense considering his second career as consultant for any terrible group with a big enough bank account.

Margaret Cho: petty score settler. You recounted in extreme detail any instance in which someone called her fat or ugly. The book was written a very long time so I gave her a bit of a pass. It wasn't flattering though.

Demi Moore: down the earth, seemed like a regular person. I liked her more after reading her book.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2024 4:49 AM

Rebel Wilson. Just kidding, nobody read her book.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2024 4:59 AM

I read Mia Farrow's book a long time ago. Her book came out after she broke up with Woody Allen, but before Ronan became a journalist.

Anyway, I thought she was full of shit. My impression was that she was OK with Woody until he no longer was putting her in his movies.

I also didn't like how she treated her daughter -- like "the other woman."

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2024 5:01 AM

Mein Kampf was a snooze. Who did that Hitler think he was, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2024 5:06 AM

Years ago, I read Portia De Rossi's "Unbearable Lightness" and really enjoyed it. Not something I'd usually read, but one of my siblings told me to give it a go.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2024 5:08 AM

Sally Field's book was indulgently self-absorbed and felt like a Baby Boomer mood.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 5:22 AM

I was gonna add Burt Bacharach’s to my list too, but the fact he let Angie add her own comments made me think twice.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2024 7:56 AM

Vicki Lawrence’s book included some interesting backstage drama, stuff Carol Burnett would never talk about, but the tone was very bitter. Every good thing that happened to her was described like it was a curse. Apparently even Vicki regretted this, which is why it’s never been reprinted.

Agree about Patti LuPone’s book, too. Some very good stories, but her constantly pointing fingers and playing the victim grew wearing.

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2024 8:05 AM

Patti Smith and Morrisey made me hate them both.

Boy George made me like him more.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2024 8:09 AM

Scar Tissue= Anthony Keidis= Pig

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2024 8:48 AM

Miles Davis told all his dirt. Nothing held back. Warts and all. I respected he did not hold back to try to make himself look better.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2024 8:52 AM

AND THE BEAT GOES ON by Salvatore "Sonny" Bono

His memoir came out when I was in elementary school, but I only read it within the past 5 years.

I never thought much about him before beyond "I Got You Babe" and his guest-starring role on an episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS, but I came to respect his perseverance and cockeyed optimism.

He was the homely son of Italian immigrants and got married as a teenager after dropping out of high school but was divorced by his mid-twenties when he met another, recent dropout, Cher.

As a young man, he worked delivering meat and other odd jobs to survive, all the while trying to break into the music industry as a songwriter/producer despite not having an education and only knowing 3 chords.

Eventually, he made connections and managed to land a job as Phil Spector's gofer.

A chance meeting with a young Cher changed the course of both of their lives, but they still had various setbacks during their decade-long career/marriage that would have discouraged many people, including Cher, who was sullen/pessimistic in her youth and didn't have much stamina.

But Sonny believed in both of their dreams and made them happen.

Then she left him at the height of their popularity.

In short, I would love a partner like Sonny, who is often happy-go-lucky and pushes you to your limits.

He really molded Cher and coaxed her out of her shell, as she had tremendous stage fright and was unable to perform without him by her side.

That's how they became a duo/act.

And the rest is history!

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2024 9:16 AM

Maureen O'Hara

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2024 12:15 PM

Did it change your opinion on Hitler, R25?

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2024 1:00 PM

I also tried reading Mia Farrow’s memoir but it was really ugly. Some of the stuff about Allen seemed made up, like the story when she was leaving the hospital after she had one of their kids and he refused to be let her be wheeled out in a wheelchair but made her walk and sge had been in a lot of pain and suffered as he made her take the stairs.

Yeah, that’s not really possible as it’s mandated by a hospital that you get wheeled out

Also I always found it fishy that she just happened to be holding a video camera at the exact moment her daughter accused Allen of molesting her

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2024 1:20 PM

I gave up on Cassidy Hutchinson’s book after she got to the White House. It mostly described her job which I forget, but it seemed to be about keeping track of legislation and I got the impression that being a pretty young thing was more crucial to her success at that than she realized. I gave up less than a third of the way through the book when it was already March 2020 and she had never offered an opinion of Trump or anything about his character. She was more interested in the mechanics of government. The only person she outright disliked (at that point) was Mark Meadows.

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2024 1:30 PM

Mariah Carey. I’ve been a fan for years and pretty much always rooted for her. Admittedly, it’s probably in part from having followed her career and been a fan for so long that her book put me off her. Some little things like pointlessly lying about the first group she signed to her label and then bigger stuff like just being a bitch towards easy targets (complaining about Celine Dion daring to out-riff/sing Aretha Franklin at Diva’s Live. Good for Celine if she did!), and then the lazy BLM influence over the whole thing (white mom who raised her: awful person, black dad who abandoned the family: good person; white cops who came to her mom’s house taking her mom’s side because she was white and Mariah is a woman of colour. Ok Mariah…)

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2024 1:48 PM

Mein Kampf?

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2024 2:18 PM

Diana Vreeland's is so worth reading because she's such a ridiculous exaggerator, as she herself admits in the book. Everything is so over-the-top and hard to believe, which makes it all the more fun. My favorite story is when she goes to a Balenciaga fashion show, and the clothes he's designed for it are so exquisite that several of Truman Capote's swans pass out in their chairs.

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2024 4:34 PM

[quote] Mariah Carey.... complaining about Celine Dion daring to out-riff/sing Aretha Franklin at Diva’s Live. Good for Celine if she did!

Mariah even dragged Patti LaBelle into it. I'm sure Patti was just murmuring, "Yeah, girl," when Mariah bitched about Celine.

Here's a good analysis of what happened on that VH-1 performance. Mariah's voice was off-peak. Aretha actually did want the other ladies to go toe-to-toe with her. Celine Dion was the only one who was willing and ABLE to do that. (Remember: Gloria Estefan and Shania Twain were on stage, too. Love them, but they can't do that kind of singing.)

Mariah comes off as so petty and jealous of Celine. Celine just says: I was honored to be on stage with Aretha and when the opportunity arose to sing with her, I took my opportunity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2024 5:36 PM

Mia Farrow's memoir is beautifully written

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2024 5:49 PM

Perhaps Mariah was jealous because in 1998 Celine was on top of the world thanks to TITANIC becoming the #1 movie of all time and the soundtrack/single topping the charts and winning Oscars/Grammys.

I graduated from high school that year and I almost every young woman/girl would have told you that her favorite singer was Celine Dion.

SNL even spoofed Celine's popularity by having Ana Gesteyer-as-Celine going around saying, "I am the best singer in the world" in Celine's weird French-Canadian accent.

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2024 5:50 PM

Celine just has a sense of humor about herself. She's self-confident and secure without being arrogant.

She was even nice to Kathy Griffin, who made fun of her.

That said, Mariah can be hilarious and highly entertaining. When she's feeling insecure, though, which is often, ugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2024 5:55 PM

Eva Gabor’s memoir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2024 5:57 PM

Paris Hilton’s autobiography was really good and she comes off a lot smarter than she is given credit for. I wouldn’t have chosen to read it but I’m in a book club.

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2024 6:17 PM

Agree with the Matthew Perry comment. I liked him as Chandler but he was not very likable as himself. The Keanu Reeves comment should’ve been edited before publication. Such a mean, strange thing to say.

Carol Burnett has two memoirs that I believe she wrote without a ghostwriter. She showed her flaws and faults, but it made me like her more.

I have always liked Bruce Springsteen but in his autobiography, which again, I believe he wrote without a ghostwriter, he doesn’t seem like a person I’d want to hang out with. He was honest about his failings but still came off seeming like a narcissist.

Love Henry Winkler, and his autobiography made me love him even more. Genuinely good guy.

by Anonymousreply 47April 28, 2024 7:01 PM

Marc Almond's book was dry and dreary. I expected more...maybe it suffered by comparison since I read it after Boy George's Take It Like A Man, which was wonderfully dishy and fun to read.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2024 7:20 PM

R27, I didn’t like Sally repeating in interview after interview that she was glad Burt Reynolds had died before her book was published so he wouldn’t read what she wrote about their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2024 7:25 PM

When will Tale it Like a Man be available on kindle?

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2024 9:01 PM

Mia's book is one of my favorites. She's incredibly honest about her faults but I believe everything she wrote. And, yes, it's beautifully written. And what a life she's led.

On the other hand, Shirley Jones comes off as an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2024 9:14 PM

McKenzie Philips’ book made me feel so sorry for her though that was not her intent. She was surrounded by shitty unloving people and she absolutely adored that piece of shit father of hers.

Melissa Gilbert’s book I enjoyed. She was and is so uncool and she has never tried to hide that about herself.

Jane Fonda has written two if I’m not mistaken. The one I read shocked me with how compulsive she is. Just relentlessly perfectionistic. Her drive is just daunting.

[quote]Patti Boyd. I was expecting that the gorgeous girl that inspired "something" by George Harrison and "Layla" by Clapton would be funny. Or smarter. Or less boring. It took me forever to get through it and it's a small book.

Yes! It made me understand why she was the object of infatuation for them. She was a pretty blank slate. Nothing to interfere with whatever men wanted to project onto her.

by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2024 10:03 PM

We did this thread a while ago, but my answer is still Andy Warhol diaries. He came off as funny, sharp and even sweet at times. Very different from his robotic public persona. I think he’s been smeared and demeaned quite a bit in recent years for things he had nothing to do with, like Edie Segdwick’s death or drug addiction.

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2024 10:11 PM

R31 I actually came out of that book with a perverse respect for his honesty. Kiedis is a fucked up and terrible person, but his memoir might be most up front I’ve read. Doesn’t hold back on his many, many negative aspects.

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2024 10:14 PM

Mario Cantone gives a dramatic reading from Melissa Gilbert's "Prairie Tale." Specifically, the passage re: Melissa busting BF Rob Lowe having an on-set affair with his female co-star, followed by sage advice to Melissa from friend Warren Beatty.

Sorry, YouTube seems to consider this "adult content" and you may have to sign in to see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2024 10:34 PM

One memoir which has always stayed with me is Rick Springfield's. I read it about 12 years ago because it was 'new' and available at the library. I always liked him, but also thought he was just a cute singer - so I took a chance on his book.

There were parts which made me sob (being a dog lover and reading about his travels through life with his dogs). He was very open about his troubled life which had many ups and downs, and made me like him as a human being (and not just a celebrity) even more. It was a pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2024 10:34 PM

Martin Shorts made me like him. He's been through a lot and is just so damn upbeat. I hope he is banging Meryl Streep

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2024 10:45 PM

Duff McKagan of Guns 'n' Roses. I don't really care about GnR, but I found a copy of this somewhere and it kinda pulled me in. He lived the insane cliche rock & roll life, complete with booze and coke habit, and nearly died when his pancreas literally burst. During his recovery, he found out that GnR had been ripped off by their management and accountants, and he went to college to study accountancy. He then helped other musicians audit their finances to make sure their management wasn't doing the same to them.

I went from neither knowing nor caring about McKagan to really respecting him.

Oh, and he says that "Duff" beer on The Simpsons was named after him.

by Anonymousreply 58April 28, 2024 11:03 PM

[QUOTE]sage advice to Melissa from friend Warren Beatty.

Strangest friendship ever?

by Anonymousreply 59April 28, 2024 11:18 PM

Mia Farrow did not write about Dory Beware of Young Girls Previn. She didn't have to discuss this episode in her life but it's a twisted irony her partner ran off with the daughter she adopted with Andre Previn.

by Anonymousreply 60April 28, 2024 11:25 PM

I read Candice Bergen’s memoir Knock Wood when it was published 40 years ago but still think of her as a smart, funny, insightful person to this day because of her book.

Tina Fey, on the other hand, left an impression of a kind of sour character who would run over her grandmother to get famous.

by Anonymousreply 61April 28, 2024 11:28 PM

R60, Tina Sinatra revealed on a recent podcast that Mia Farrow and Ava Gardner knew each other, but did not get along well.

Not only were they both married to Sinatra, Ava had an affair with director John Farrow while he was married to Mia’s mother, Maureen O’Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 62April 28, 2024 11:30 PM

“Beware of Young Girls” is an incredible track, and gets to the center of Mia’s entire doe eyed waif schtick better than any memoir will ever do.

Dory Previn is seriously underrated in general. My favorite song of hers is “Atlantis.”

by Anonymousreply 63April 28, 2024 11:39 PM

One memoir I was looking forward to reading and was (unintentionally) laugh-out-loud funny was Diana Ross' 1993 memoir "Secrets of a Sparrow". When I got to the chapter about how hard it is to travel on airplanes 'with big hair' , I realized all the stories about how superficial she is were very true.

by Anonymousreply 64April 28, 2024 11:54 PM

I had a mixed reaction to Liz Cheney’s memoir. On the plus side, it was a gripping insider account of January 6, and I feel for the sacrifice she made to her career and safety.

On the downside, she came across as self-righteous and infallible. Bonus drinking game. Do a shot every time she mentions “the rule of law.”

by Anonymousreply 65April 29, 2024 12:03 AM

I read Naomi Judd's "Love Can Build a Bridge." I really knew nothing about her and Wy at the time except that I found their music beautiful, meaningful and authentic. After reading the book I viewed her as something of a carnival huckster. It was like hearing Reba talk without her exaggerated accent.

by Anonymousreply 66April 29, 2024 12:17 AM

I read Naomi's autobio, as well. I couldn't get through it. The book validates most people's impression of her as nutty and self-centered.

by Anonymousreply 67April 29, 2024 1:34 AM

[quote] he found out that GnR had been ripped off by their management and accountants, and he went to college to study accountancy.

That was very smart of Duff. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 68April 29, 2024 1:34 AM

Brando's was.....exactly as I imagined lol. Though I did love his dedication "To my children, who brought me up"

by Anonymousreply 69April 29, 2024 2:28 AM

I didn't really like him to begin with, but Tony Curtis's book makes him seem like a HUGE douche

by Anonymousreply 70April 29, 2024 3:02 AM

Seems like, since it's an AUTObiography, the biographer could put their best foot forward and create a positive impression. Yet, the unlikable nature shines through.

by Anonymousreply 71April 29, 2024 3:09 AM

R24, her daughter WAS the other woman.

by Anonymousreply 72April 29, 2024 3:22 AM

R38 is spot-on about Mariah. My eyes were rolling so much that it sounded like a roulette wheel.

When she wasn’t hyping her own AMAZING songwriting gifts or shading her family members (particularly her sister), she was being maddeningly coy and vague about other details, like why exactly she was spending so much time with Da Brat.

She came across as emotionally immature and delusional.

by Anonymousreply 73April 29, 2024 3:50 AM

I'm pretty sure Mariah's memoir COMPLETELY skips over her high school years, where she was one of the popular kids and ALL of her friends were white and she blended right in with them. Such a joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 29, 2024 6:07 AM

After all her other business ventures fizzle and fail, it will only be a matter of time before the Duchess of Sussex writes her own self congratulatory autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 75April 29, 2024 6:21 AM

Slim pickings among Mariah and friends' prom dates.

by Anonymousreply 76April 29, 2024 6:32 AM

Billy Porter’s memoir. I used to think that the bashing that he get here and elsewhere was unfair. Until I read his book. I even deleted it from my Kindle.

by Anonymousreply 77April 29, 2024 6:44 AM

Carey was a guidette by birth and by choice, she totally fit in.

by Anonymousreply 78April 29, 2024 6:53 AM

I always liked Keith Richards, but reading "Life" made me appreciate how intelligent he is and that it's overlooked due to his addict persona. A lot of addict rationalizing, of course, but a great historian, observer and raconteur in thoughtful ways. He had a ghost writer to organize, but it was obvious so much of it came from recordings. And, to his credit, he included his son Marlon's sober recollections of the same event.

by Anonymousreply 79April 29, 2024 7:17 AM

^ eventS

by Anonymousreply 80April 29, 2024 7:18 AM

R74: funnily enough the one main story from high school she tells is a load of white girls shouting the N word at her. Maybe this is bad but given the rest of the book’s clear BLM agenda, it rang a bit hollow to me. She seemed to be clasping for racism stories throughout the book.

by Anonymousreply 81April 29, 2024 7:27 AM

I remember waaay back when Mariah first debuted. On like Entertainment Tonight or some show like that they were showing her yearbook photo. It was captioned “Guido Lover.” Mariah laughed and was like, yup, in high school I loved the guidos. That was my type.

by Anonymousreply 82April 29, 2024 8:28 AM

[quote] I didn't really like him to begin with, but Tony Curtis's book makes him seem like a HUGE douche

Meanwhile his ex-wife Janet Leigh avoided anything confrontational in hers.

by Anonymousreply 83April 29, 2024 11:36 AM

You didn’t read her memoirs R21. She did not bash her mother. It’s much more complicated than that. Nor did she bash dead people. Troll.

by Anonymousreply 84April 29, 2024 12:22 PM

Bullshit, R84.

She made cutting remarks about her deceased mother throughout the book.

by Anonymousreply 85April 29, 2024 12:57 PM

No one is going to mention the autobiography of Miss Jane Pitman ? Really ?

by Anonymousreply 86April 29, 2024 1:17 PM

I didn’t know exactly how evil Barbara, Lady Black was until I read her memoir where she talked about repeatedly kicking her gentle female dog every night when she got home from work as a stress reliever.

by Anonymousreply 87April 29, 2024 1:25 PM

R38, did she really bash her mom in the book? I always thought she was very close to her mom. Her mom was the opera singer and she appeared on Opera with Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 88April 29, 2024 1:44 PM

R41, I like Mariah's music much more than Celine's but Celine is right. And, like you said, Aretha WANTED the singers to go head-to-head with her. So why even make it a big deal? Maybe Mariah was jealous because Celine was outselling her during the 90s despite releasing less material.

by Anonymousreply 89April 29, 2024 1:45 PM

R74, did Mariah mention the part where her yearbook mentions that her dream was to marry a guido?

by Anonymousreply 90April 29, 2024 1:49 PM

Didn't she with Tommy Mottola?

by Anonymousreply 91April 29, 2024 2:02 PM

R91, correct.

by Anonymousreply 92April 29, 2024 2:21 PM

George Benson. I still like his music, but after reading his book it's obvious that he thinks very highly of himself.

by Anonymousreply 93April 29, 2024 2:23 PM

Simply put, Celine Dion is (I guess, was) a supremely confident and vocally consistent live performer in a way that Mariah never has been and Mariah is, at heart, kind of a hater. In a way, Mariah grousing about Celine after the Divas Live concert was in a way the ultimate tribute to Aretha Franklin, a woman who famously never missed a chance to down her female contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2024 2:33 PM

The Bible

by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2024 2:37 PM

Mariah financially supports her mother, but calls her mother by her first name - and not in a cute way.

by Anonymousreply 96April 29, 2024 2:48 PM

R96, that's weird.

by Anonymousreply 97April 29, 2024 2:55 PM

Katharine Hepburn. I always loved her but enjoyed her autobiography and have read it several times over the years. She admits to being self-centered and illustrates it at different points. She was self aware.

by Anonymousreply 98April 29, 2024 3:01 PM

I also felt that the Warhol diaries are something of an eldergay Rosetta Stone. Especially when he talks about things like wanting to go home for “I Love Lucy” reruns instead of being at a dinner or how lovely Betty Grable was in her technicolor musicals. Or how pretty young men won’t glance his way…it humanized him a lot.

by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2024 3:03 PM

Sterling Hayden's autobio, Wanderer. Beautifully written, deeply philosophical, and a stark portrait of a restless and tortured soul. He hated Hollywood and hated himself because he had allowed himself to be drafted into working for the machine. (He was discovered from a photo someone took of him in the rigging of a sailboat and billed as "The Golden God.")

His true love was the sea and he went so far as to kidnap his four children (his ex-wife had been awarded custody) and sail with them to Tahiti.

His autobio doesn't cover this, but sadly, predictably, he ended his life a wet-brained alcoholic wreck living on a houseboat.

One representative quote:

[quote]What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

by Anonymousreply 100April 29, 2024 3:09 PM

R98, I heard that Katherine had an amusing story about Michael Jackson in it, is that true?

by Anonymousreply 101April 29, 2024 3:49 PM

Little did I know that I would come away from this thead only wanting to read the autobigraphies of Sterling Hayden and RICK SPRINGFIELD!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 102April 29, 2024 4:04 PM

When I was a teen, I couldn't abide Doris Day, her old movies, or that saccharine TV show that was airing. The first time I really liked her was after reading her autobiography, co-written with A.E. Hotchner, "My Own Story." Her off-camera life was totally opposite from her films. And like America's other sweetheart, she survived a lot of crap. And as I grew older, I came to appreciate her talents as well, and admired her long life. I wrote about it here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 29, 2024 4:13 PM

R26 What did she said about her sexuality?

by Anonymousreply 104April 29, 2024 4:17 PM

Anthony Kiedis. He's a sexist jerk. Or at least was

by Anonymousreply 105April 29, 2024 4:18 PM

Not sure, but Katharine might have had one.

by Anonymousreply 106April 29, 2024 4:24 PM

R101 No MJ story that I recall. Or else it wasn't very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 107April 29, 2024 4:41 PM

Omigod. I really would have preferred not reading that.

by Anonymousreply 108April 29, 2024 4:50 PM

Sorry my comment was about r87’s post.

by Anonymousreply 109April 29, 2024 4:52 PM

Faye Dunaway. Disappointed to find out what a boring person she is. Tedious read.

by Anonymousreply 110April 29, 2024 5:48 PM

[quote]McKenzie Philips’ book made me feel so sorry for her though that was not her intent. She was surrounded by shitty unloving people and she absolutely adored that piece of shit father of hers.

Dammit Julie! Stop fucking your father!

by Anonymousreply 111April 29, 2024 7:10 PM

One thing I didn't like about Helen Lawson's memoir was that she never addressed the rumor that she got DPed by Jack Cassidy and Rory Calhoun in the cloak room of The Brown Derby.

by Anonymousreply 112April 29, 2024 7:23 PM

R101 Yes! It’s in Scott Berg’s book about her. Michael is extremely oblivious to everything and pisses her off in the end.

Candice Bergen’s second book was depressing. Love her, but she came off as miserable.

by Anonymousreply 113April 29, 2024 7:26 PM

Fun fact, R112- the “Brown Derby,” a sex act so filthy that Michael Musto was once jailed for describing it in print, was named in Helen Lawson’s honor, and she made a point of referencing it in holiday cards to special friends, including Spiro Agnew and The Jackson Five.

by Anonymousreply 114April 29, 2024 8:56 PM

R88: yeah I was surprised reading the book that her relationship with her mom seems to have totally collapsed as I thought they were close too. Wouldn’t surprise me if the publisher asked Mariah to make the book more interesting and she laid it on a bit thicker than it actually is though.

by Anonymousreply 115April 30, 2024 12:15 AM

R55 when he said Warren Beatty I lost it

by Anonymousreply 116April 30, 2024 12:32 AM

[quote]What did she said about her sexuality?

Not r26 but Portia is deeply lesbian and has been since childhood. Her mother found out when she was a teenager and encouraged her not to tell anyone for fear of bigotry and violence. At the same time she was trying to be a teen model and ended up in a binging and starving cycle.

by Anonymousreply 117April 30, 2024 12:36 AM

[quote] Agree with the Matthew Perry comment. I liked him as Chandler but he was not very likable as himself. The Keanu Reeves comment should’ve been edited before publication. Such a mean, strange thing to say.

I hadn't heard about the comment so I looked it up

[quote] The “Friends” actor apologized after receiving backlash for writing about Reeves in his book, questioning why the actor “still walks among us” when “talented” actors and “original thinkers” like River Phoenix and Chris Farley had passed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 30, 2024 12:44 AM

R118, I wonder if Matthew ever explained what kind of "original thinking" Chris Farley did.

by Anonymousreply 119April 30, 2024 12:48 AM

One of the most bizarre ones I ever read was Debbie Reynolds. She doesn't talk about having an affair with Agnes Moorhead, but she does admit that the latter was her spiritual and religious mentor, and her ghost appeared to Debbie after Moorhead's death, telling her, "Honor thy father." (Debbie took it as an injunction to pray more often.)

by Anonymousreply 120April 30, 2024 12:49 AM

Jessica Simpson of all people. She was someone I loved to mock. Couldn’t stand her. I took an instant dislike to her mother back during Jessica’s reality show days and disliked Jessica by extension.

Anyway her book is carefully crafted. There’s a dark reveal of some intimate detail of Jessica’s life always followed by an uplifting chapter discussing charity work or whatever. But she’s really likable Goddamnit. I think she has a good heart. Or her book convinced me she does. Either way, I look at her completely differently now.

by Anonymousreply 121April 30, 2024 12:50 AM

I have wondered why Trump hasn't written an autobiography since leaving office, seems like he will do anything to make money and his cult would lap that stuff up. Maybe he is afraid what he says will be used against him in his court cases. Yeah I know Trump can't write, plenty of people use ghost writers to write their autobiography like Trump reportedly did to write The Art of the Deal.

by Anonymousreply 122April 30, 2024 12:54 AM

Eddie Fisher, "Been There Done That." I came away not exactly liking him but deeply sympathetic to him.

He really pulls you in with sordid, fun-to-read dish about every big name in Old Hollywood. But most of all, he tells on himself. He's hardest on himself.

At their lowest, he and Tiny Tim headlined "The Cavalcade of Stars" which Tim called "The Cavalcade of Has-Beens."

And he does reveal that Elizabeth Taylor aborted hers and Frank Sinatra's embryo, but I kinda wish he hadn't betrayed her confiding that to him by blabbing about that in his book.

by Anonymousreply 123April 30, 2024 1:29 AM

A ghost-written Trump memoir would be full of lies and not very interesting. I'd prefer to read a tell-all from a former assistant who hates him.

by Anonymousreply 124April 30, 2024 2:33 AM

[Quote]What did she said about her sexuality?

She was very open about her sexual orientation in the book, but I barely recall what she wrote on that front. I just remember being incredibly shocked and ultimately saddened by her battle with anorexia. The details, some of which I still recall, were truly horrid. She would exercise for hours on a treadmill, subsisting on the most paltry amount of calories. She hated wearing lip gloss because she was terrified she would ingest the oily residue on her lips and ruin her diet.

by Anonymousreply 125April 30, 2024 6:56 AM

Jessica Simpson’s ghost - Kevin O'Carr Leary - is a man whom all celebrities wishing to publish a memoir should wine, dine and throw 100 dollar bills at.

He transformed specific public declarations by Simpson in interviews - not her reality TV dumb blonde schtick - about her family and fellow celebrities and ex-husband, that made me consider her petty and vain, into a wry looking-back that attributed no blame but simply presented the facts with mature generosity.

by Anonymousreply 126May 1, 2024 11:26 AM

R81 thinks acknowledging that racism exists is a "BLM agenda"

by Anonymousreply 127May 1, 2024 11:32 AM

Details please r126. What kind of things has Jessica said that seemed petty and vain? I’ve seen a lot of interviews with Jessica through the years. I know she sounded pretty bitter at one time about the divorce settlement she had to give Nick. And I saw her on Oprah after the John Mayer fall out where she seemed a little pissed about the things he said about her in that stupid interview he did. She came across more dismissive than angry to me though.

I’m not defending her I’m just curious.

by Anonymousreply 128May 1, 2024 11:35 AM

Andrew McCabe, the g uy Trump fired from the FBI? I was hoping for something smarter and more in depth. He was literally cautious to a fault.

by Anonymousreply 129May 1, 2024 11:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!