Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why have they never revived "Grand Hotel" on Broadway?

The original production had more than 1,000 performances. It made stars out of Michael Jeter and Jane Krakowski.

It requires a big cast, but the set can be done as it was in the original fairly cheaply.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2024 2:47 AM

Good grief, that cast recording is a good deed in this cruel world.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2024 3:36 AM

Except for Brent Barrett, who was a poor substitute for David Carroll. They should have brought in Rex Smith.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2024 3:52 AM

It's a mediocre show nobody really LOVED back then, and it didn't grow its reputation in regional or amateur productions.

It felt like a one-run-and-done.

It's no Cabaret, in its level of quality or the ability to be reinterpreted in creative ways.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 4:02 AM

Oh how wrong you are R3, somebody REALLY LOVED it back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2024 4:09 AM

A concert version, at least, is long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2024 4:17 AM

Because it is a dreary slog of a show which never deserved the production Tommy Tune devised for it.

Had they dared have an intermission I would have left then. The marketing and clever staging fooled people into thinking it was a good show.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2024 4:52 AM

[quote] Had they dared have an intermission I would have left then.

But at the time, they [italic]dassn't[/italic], Mary!

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 5:11 AM

It can't be re-interpreted for a contemporary audience.

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2024 11:25 AM

probably because this old cunt buried it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2024 11:28 AM

Well I liked it. Maybe not a classic masterpiece of musical theatre, but it was WAY better than Titanic. I also liked the incredibly goofy but fun "The Life" -- it's like HBO's The Deuce: the musical.

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2024 11:57 AM

There is nobody today that could match Michael Jeter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2024 12:51 PM

You call that dancing?! My dogs are more graceful when they take a shit.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2024 3:31 PM

i love that that old bitch is gonna see the show again because her husband words in the area

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2024 2:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!