Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Dawnzer Gives Lee Light" or I Was a Beverly Cleary Junkie

All right gays, who was a big reader as a kid and read all the Beverly Cleary books? Henry Huggins, Beezus, Ramona. Such great books before we grew a little older and read Judy Blume's more complex stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2020 4:15 PM

Love her and all her books.

Bev is still ALIVE.... at 103.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2020 3:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2020 3:15 PM

Louis Darling, who did all the early illustrations for the Henry/Beezus/Ramona books, died young at 53. Handsome guy and a staunch environmentalist. Loved his illustrations the most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2020 3:17 PM

I loved her books when I was a little kid. I especially enjoyed the fact that Ramona's doll was named Chevrolet. I don't know why, but I thought that was the funniest thing ever when I was 5 years old.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2020 3:20 PM

I loved this book when I was a child, as well as Runaway Ralph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2020 3:22 PM

Loved when Ramona invited all the neighborhood kids over for a party and never told anybody. Then she threw Fig Newtons at her guests when they wouldn't go along with her idea that they were filled with worms.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2020 3:24 PM

They captured the dreariness of suburban childhood of that era so well.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2020 4:08 PM

I still don't know how a paper drive worked.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2020 4:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!