Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you like it when your your news media posts video instead of articles?

I hate it when I’m reading the NYP or Daily Mail and an interesting tag line is posted and when you click on it you are taken to a video. This is especially annoying if you are on the bus or subway. Does anyone else hate this?

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2019 7:30 PM

Hasn't that "pivot to video" strategy been revealed to be a scam? So why are they still insisting on pushing those videos on us? I want to read, damn it!

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2019 2:38 PM

Yahoo News: Guilty of this in a good percentage of their articles. Of course, their plethora of "journalists" (barfing as I write that) are female SJW's who do nothing but post articles bashing men or the patriarchy. The responses to the lack of quality of their journalistic skills are often hilarious, and even women write how hideously rotten their attempts at presenting news is.

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2019 2:39 PM

You can thank Facebook for this. They told news orgs that readers preferred video, which is why they all "pivoted to video" a few years back. Earlier this year it was revealed that Facebook lied about the stats and they just wanted news organizations to post videos instead of stories, and that people actually don't care for video much.

A lot of news outlets have changed but you still run into quite a few that are video only.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2019 2:46 PM

OP, yes! If I want to read something, I want to read it -- I don't need it spoonfed to me by some loud reporter.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2019 2:51 PM

I dislike when videos autoplay, then the video window follows you down the page as you're trying to read the article.

At least a small handful of pages mute the video by default.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2019 2:56 PM

No, OP. I hate it. I'd rather read. If I wanted to watch a video, I would. Autoplaying videos within news articles piss me off.

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2019 4:50 PM

It’s pretty much leading me back to the local news and the network news in the evening to be honest. There are so damn many of these pivot to video shit. I’ll watch television if I want to see that shit.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2019 7:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!