Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oddly, the "activists" at Google are majority trans

Google fired another employee activist on Friday, the fifth termination of an employee engaged in workplace organizing in less than a month.

Kathryn Spiers, a 21-year-old security engineer who had worked for Google since February 2018, was suspended from work on 25 November – the same day that four other worker activists were fired for what the company described as “intentional and often repeated violations of our longstanding data security policies”.

Her suspension began just three hours after she published a piece of code that created a pop-up notification when Google employees visited the website of IRI Consultants, an anti-union firm that it was revealed Google had hired just a few days earlier.

“Googlers have the right to participate in protected concerted activities,” read the browser notification, which appeared on the bottom right-hand corner of the site and was visible only to Google’s own workforce.

“I had been involved in other workplace organizing in the past, but the reason I wanted to push this change was a combination of Google hiring IRI and four of my co-workers being fired the same day,” Spiers said in an interview on Monday. “I thought a lot of my co-workers could use a reminder of their rights.”

Spiers remained on suspension until 13 December, when she was informed of her termination by phone call, she said. A Google spokeswoman said the company had dismissed an employee who had “abused privileged access to modify an internal security tool”, which was “a serious violation”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2019 9:58 PM

The article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2019 2:22 PM

Gosh, how could you tell that she's trans, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2019 2:24 PM

Why would she not be fired for things like this:

Spiers was also involved in a protest of a corporate crackdown on open access to internal documents. Historically, Google employees were empowered to look at almost any document in the company’s vast intranet. Amid recent labor unrest, however, the company’s chief legal officer, Kent Walker, has pushed for restricting access to more information on a “need-to-know” basis, Bloomberg reported.

The policy change has prompted significant backlash, and Spiers participated in writing code for an internal browser extension that allowed Googlers to send Walker an automatic email asking whether a document was “need-to-know” every time they attempted to open any document. The browser extension was first reported by Bloomberg.

“The goal was not to make his email too cluttered to use,” she said. “It was to show that Googlers thought the policy was too vague and harmful to our getting our jobs done.”

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2019 2:24 PM

How annoying.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2019 2:24 PM

Is she a hero like Bradley Manning now?

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote]Oddly, the "activists" at Google are majority trans

What's odd about it?

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2019 2:28 PM

Growing up "Kathryn" Spiers watched Tootsie too many times,

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2019 2:29 PM

Ana Ariola works there, no?

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2019 2:30 PM

Lets play "dress up" and go hack Google

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2019 2:30 PM

It's almost as if trans are a bunch of entitled arseholes who think the rules of the rest of the world don't apply to them.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2019 2:32 PM

What in the fuck is wrong with you trash bags? This person is a fucking hero. Google is doing some seriously fucked up, unbelievably unethical bullshit and the only way the public will ever know is people like this.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, Silicon Valley is making plays to literally control your simple mind and here you are bashing the soldiers on the front lines.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2019 2:32 PM

.06% of the worlds population. No one gives a rats ass. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2019 2:33 PM

r11 our minds are too simple to understand what you just said! Hurr durr durr!

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2019 2:33 PM

r11

Because this is another troll topic to make the pea brained fools here attack trans people.

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2019 2:36 PM

What R11 said.

Is Ana Ariola responsible...?

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2019 2:37 PM

Actually r14, it's pointing out how entitled CERTAIN PEOPLE are and how that entitlement does not necessarily carry over into the workplace.

It's interesting how in this new era of entitlement, that Google, once famous for its open work culture, has had to clamp down on it because they can no longer trust certain employees.

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2019 2:39 PM

Seems to me Spiers was angling for fair employment and freedom of information. I don't understand the OP's trolling on the trans info. nor why Spiers is put in "" as "activist". She's an activist. No irony.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2019 2:39 PM

r17 did you read the article?

“Of the five people that were fired, three of us are trans women,” Spiers said. “That is either an unbelievable coincidence or Google is targeting the most vulnerable.”

“Trans Googlers make up a very small percentage of Googlers,” she added. “They make up a slightly larger percentage of organizers, but not 60%.”

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2019 2:40 PM

[quote]In case you haven’t been paying attention, Silicon Valley is making plays to literally control your simple mind and here you are bashing the soldiers on the front lines.

As far as I can tell from the limited information, it's front lines for that person's specific causes and concerns, not for the betterment of all of us which the Pentagon Papers leaker was trying to do. Even Snowden revealed information that was in the public interest to know.

Of course, if you'd like to provide links to additional information from reputable sources, I am happy to educate myself. However, I'm not going searching as there is no evidence that the information I currently posses is inaccurate or inadequate for formulate a well-reasoned opinion.

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2019 2:52 PM

Did anyone else think he looks like Peter Scolari from Bosom Buddies ?

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2019 2:52 PM

Boycott!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 2:54 PM

Bravo, R11.

However, R12 makes an EXCELLENT point. No one gives a shit. Referring to the majority of Americans, btw.

Travel through out our country. Not just big cities, but smaller towns. That’s where most Americans live. You must come to terms with the likelihood of apathy, which is a direct, or can be, a direct byproduct of ignorance. Our current, public education systems are teaching kids the basics of the basics. School districts are no longer allowed to, nor given the resources, to teach kids how to use internet products offered by tech companies like Google, as well as teaching kids how and why, Google uses them. The convenience of technology is all kids see, and their parents think their kids are being well educated in some charter school their children attend, because their last fundraiser allowed the school to get all the kids a Chromebook, or better yet, Google “donated” them to the schools filled with kids who barely have enough money for lunch, if at all.

Spiers being a transwomen is completely incidental. Her activism and the actions she took in her workplace in order to engage in such activism, are per Google’s company policies, grounds for termination. Two separate issues, conflated for the purposes of derision and bigotry, & in no way, obfuscate the fact that she has the right to protest, that some of us agree with her reasons for protest, and that Google too, has the right to protest her protestations, by terminating her.

But yeah. No one gives a shit, except very few. Most Americans outside of Silicon Valley and the tech industry, have no clue what this is about, and their eyes would roll back into the back of their heads, if anyone, trans or not, attempted to explain any of this to them.

We fell asleep, and guess what? “Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum”, the “Giant”, finally showed up, just like they said it would.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 2:57 PM

Fools. Don't do what the trolls want. These people are not our enemies, the conservative bigots are. You idiots are willingly doing what they want. You learned nothing from 2016.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 3:01 PM

r22 it isn't incidental because she specifically pointed it out as a possible reason that she was fired. She made her trans-ness front and center to this because she was fired and now she's desperately trying to claim "victim" for a multitude of reasons because she seems to think she can say and do whatever she wishes within a large corporation to foment change, and she is realizing, hopefully, that there are limits.

There's a difference between protected speech and the list of things she did, above, to protest policies she didn't like. Just because she doesn't like the outcome doesn't mean that using the company's own tools against them is protected.

She will slink back to her protected enclave on Twitter and Reddit and thousands of people will tell her she's right and echo her sense of grandiosity back to her. And it's almost always the MTF trans.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 3:05 PM

[quote]Fools. Don't do what the trolls want. These people are not our enemies, the conservative bigots are. You idiots are willingly doing what they want. You learned nothing from 2016.

Actually, you should look directly at statements made by high profile activists and reconsider whether specific activists are enemies or not of gay people and how these specific activists are operating against the best interests of gay people.

Of course, we have our own Uncle Tom log cabin idiots, so we may not have room to talk when discussing people operating against our interests.

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 3:07 PM

r25

People like you make it seem like the enemy is a trans woman on social media complaining about not getting dick. None of these people are a real threat.

You are taking the attention off of the conservatives who are currently working on dismantling the progress we've made and empowering anti-gay exrremists.

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2019 3:16 PM

R25, please pontificate.

Stopping at innuendo is kinda silly, so please write what’s on your mind.

Genuinely asking. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2019 3:19 PM

r26 it's possible to be concerned about multiple things at once.

by Anonymousreply 28December 17, 2019 3:27 PM

I still can't believe that ' transgender ' people really exist. I never saw any IRL, apart from 2 trannies sex workers in Europe. How many people are we talking about here ? For real

by Anonymousreply 29December 17, 2019 3:31 PM

[quote][R25], please pontificate.

[quote]Genuinely asking. TIA.

No, you aren't and my point is fairly clear without innuendo or obfuscation.

The fact that you ask me to "express my opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic" (or "pontificate") tells everyone how disingenuous you are being.

by Anonymousreply 30December 17, 2019 3:55 PM

R29 ,way back when (the 80s) I used to hang out on Kennedy Blvd in Tampa . It was well known as a prostitution strip. You could get anything you wanted on Kennedy Blvd,even young ones. I knew probably 100 drag queen hookers ,and only one was actually trans . I used to ask them all the time if they were going to get "the chop" and 99.9% adamantly said "Hell no " .Im not sure when this trans shit became the be all to end all,but it has to be a recent thing.

by Anonymousreply 31December 17, 2019 3:58 PM

r30 lol!

by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2019 4:25 PM

Xe is like a T version of Amy Jellicoe from "Enlightened"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 17, 2019 6:24 PM

R33, one of the most complex main characters on a tv show ever. But the activist isn't nearly as entertaining and not nearly as good of an actress as Laura Dern.

by Anonymousreply 34December 17, 2019 6:29 PM

She was hired as a security engineer, to uphold the security of Google computer systems, at a salary estimated at $139-176k, and instead decided to be a smartass and circumvent security, then cried trans-discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 35December 17, 2019 6:38 PM

Well we know who can play her in the Netflix movie....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 17, 2019 6:55 PM

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 37December 17, 2019 7:09 PM

Who gives a fuck, you hateful fucking freak

by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2019 7:14 PM

Read the article, r38. It's news, and lots of people find it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2019 7:32 PM

Why are you using a shady, foreign source to discuss this American “issue”?

Doesn’t your country have its own problems to worry about? It seems weird to be that someone so far away would spend ALL DAY AND NIGHT making posts about Americans.

Try to clean up your own back yard first.

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2019 7:36 PM

A SHADY FOREIGN SOURCE?

Goddamn you're a moron. How do you manage to clothe yourself in the morning?

by Anonymousreply 41December 17, 2019 7:38 PM

What does Yaniv think of this?

by Anonymousreply 42December 17, 2019 11:59 PM

He's too busy asking preteens about their periods and tampons.

Life is hard for trans people.

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2019 4:56 AM

I find most TRAs to be a pain in the ass; at least she’s using her activism to help employees organize. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2019 9:04 PM

Who gives a fuck? Good for them

by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2019 9:33 PM

Clearly you do, or you wouldn't have posted, r45.

by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2019 9:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!