Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay TV Channel: Resurrecting LOGO

We had a nice chat on the Hallmark thread where someone mentioned LOGO. If you were in charge of resurrecting LOGO how would you make it a successful gay channel?

I'd like for them to make at least one new movie of the week every quarter for lesbians, gays, and trans, including a Holiday Themed movie, like Hallmarks. Also, they should do a weekly Soap Opera sort of show like an updated version of MTV's Undressed. What are your ideas? I'd also like funny late-night news show, like a John Oliver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2019 6:14 PM

0 shows about trans.

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2019 3:05 AM

Fine r1, but we are keeping the lesbian content. They deserve some love.

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2019 3:07 AM

A trans Bachelorette for R1

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2019 3:09 AM

"The Man Whore, Lorian": A professional man whore, on the streets since being orphaned decades before, finds a young gayling and develops a protective, paternal love for it. Each week, Lorian must protect Babe Beyoda from Republicans, chicken hawks, and booty hunters.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2019 3:19 AM

For years, gays talked about a channel focused on us.

When it happened with LOGO, we realized there just wasn’t enough gay programming to fill a 24 hour cycle.

Sad

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2019 3:20 AM

More lesbians please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2019 3:30 AM

Bring back the Big Gay Sketch Show, have some original series and stop airing reruns of The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2019 3:32 AM

r5 the expectation would be to create our won content and fill the rest with fillers. I struggle to think of more than 2 shows created by LOGO. Did they ever do a movie? Meanwhile, Tyler Perry's TVOne (basically his channel) is pumping out cheap shows that turn a huge profit. VIACOM didn't care about LOGO and they made it a part of the 2nd string of cable channels when I was picking plans with DirectTV. So you had to pay more to watch cheap content. All the censoring made the channel all but useless. Let them curse in a movie and don't cut the movie appropriate sex scenes. LOGO was such a product of the Bush Era, warts and all.

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2019 3:39 AM

Logo failed as an LGBTQ channel because they didn't want to put the money in for original programming, other than "RuPaul's Drag Race."

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2019 7:27 AM

VIACOM created LOGO as a dumping ground for programming they have in their archive they can air under the pretense it's LGBT related. They did the bare minimum to create new content for the channel. Maybe it needs a better curator to go through the archives and find better stuff? Because VIACOM sure is not going to put any money into it.

IMO it would take a crazy billionaire to start from scratch with a new TV channel (or be a streaming service right away?) and create new content for all gay / LGBTQ tastes, like Netflix. Which would mean months of new LGBTQ content having to be filmed before the channel can even go on air (or online). That would bankrupt even a (crazy) billionaire if you consider the shit ton of PR the channel needs at the beginning.

And of course the (online) critics, haters, and trolls will do their best to shit on the content and try to establish the narrative that the channel will never be a success with such shitty entertainment that doesn't pander 100% to their high standard needs.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2019 7:43 AM

Speaking of LOGO anyone remember a show called Jacob and Joshua: Nemesis Rising? It was a "reality' about gay identical twins trying to make in the music business.

It was so bad and trashy, it paved the way for KUWTK in terms of phony reality. First of all they would be really bitchy and phony. Second, they totally lied about their age. And third, they really has no talent. It was a big old dumpster fire.

Yeah I know so much about it because I worked on that show.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2019 8:00 AM

In all honesty, Bravo has more gay content than Logo ever did.

I just wish to god Greg Bennet had gotten his own series spin-off when he moved to California. He was 98% of the reason I ever watched RHoNJ.

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2019 8:00 AM

r10 but how has Tyler Perry been able to do it?

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2019 8:28 AM

Logo produced the 2008 star studded series Sordid Lives, a prequel to the movie of the same name. Cast included Leslie Jordan, Rue McClanahan, Olivia Newton-John, Caroline Rhea and Bonnie Bedelia.

Show as created by Del Shores, who apparently never got paid for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2019 9:26 AM

Also Olivia Newton John never got paid (or paid her share) of her songs that were used on the show.

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2019 9:57 AM

[quote] but how has Tyler Perry been able to do it?

Do what? Run a gay TV channel? Does he have one?

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2019 9:58 AM

“And of course the (online) critics, haters, and trolls will do their best to shit on the content and try to establish the narrative that the channel will never be a success with such shitty entertainment that doesn't pander 100% to their high standard needs.“

THIS. I’d say we are an impossible demographic to please. Unless everyone “sees themselves” reflected in every episode or show - or it reflects their personal reality at all times - it’s dismissed as unrealistic. We are like a bunch of jaded 16-year old girls when it gay shows - that’s why they sidestep any real programming and instead focus on “gay” shows that will appeal to mainstream audience as well like RuPaul’s Drag Race. That way it will still be successful even when we collectively hatefuck it for sport online.

I remember how they did that to HBO’s Looking until it got twisted into trying to be everything to everybody in 30 min segments - until HBO got sick of all the complaining and cancelled it. The other day I saw millennials going in on Brokeback as unrealistic and depressing on a blog post - until someone reminded them it was set in Wyoming in the 60s/70s.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2019 1:21 PM

"Towertown" -- a gay historical soap opera set in Chicago on the eve of World War I; here's some history:

Intellectuals and bohemians of all kinds flocked to Chicago in the 1910s-20s, and many settled in the neighborhood around the Water Tower, roughly Old Town today. Back then this neighborhood was called Towertown. It was filled with artists lofts, rooming houses where single men and women could afford to live on their own, small cafes, night clubs and bars. It was the home of the famous Dill Pickle Club where anyone with an interesting opinion could take the stage, openly discussing topics like homosexuality. In this Bohemian district people were radicals and freethinkers. They were espousing anarchy, free love, atheism (gasp!), all kinds of beliefs that were way outside the status quo, so it naturally became a place where gay, lesbian and gender nonconforming people could live openly too.

By the ‘20s, most Chicagoans recognized Towertown as a gay neighborhood. It hosted a collection of gay bars or tearooms like the Wind Blew Inn and the Green Mask. In these places, gay men and women could feel comfortable to be themselves and to meet each other and form a community. Middle and upper class Chicagoans looking for a wild night out would drop into Towertown to visit these establishments, which often had drag queen entertainers in the evenings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2019 1:36 PM

Reality shows and talk shows would help in the resurrection. They are cheap to produce and if cast well would bring in anyone who loves those kinds of shows.

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2019 1:47 PM

[quote]In all honesty, Bravo has more gay content than Logo ever did.

Bravo has CAMP content, like "Real Housewives." There's very little, if any, content that tells LGBTQ stories.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2019 5:21 PM

I'd be happy with just some shows focused on gay characters. Of course, as others have said, they will be eaten alive if they don't represent everyone.

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 5:53 PM

I would love to see a nightly movie of LGB significance introduced/discussed by someone knowledgeable of the themes from an LGB point of view.

Like TCM, but with movies like "The Killing of Sister George," "Johnny Guitar," "Making Love," etc. They wouldn't have to be great movies on their own, just reasonably entertaining and worthy of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 6:00 PM

There are two streaming services that are exclusively LGBT- Dekkoo, which is from TLA Releasing, and the smaller and lesser known Revry. Both offer movies and series, many curated from the large number of queer-themed web series, but both services have created their own original content. They both have apps for every streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, et al) and charge a monthly subscription fee.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 6:06 PM

Logo would have established itself much better if they'd just shown gay canon movies, like "The Women" or Judy Garland movies, amongst the reruns of "Golden Girls" and "Will & Grace."

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 6:10 PM

I’d like them to cover gay Intramural Sports with a Road Rules style national championship. Could be a fun reality TV show.

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 6:10 PM

At least they showed Guys Gone Wild infomercials late at night. I jerked off to them so many times, at least I think it was LOGO showing them.

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2019 6:11 PM

One of the comments about Brokeback and why it wasn’t good that I remember was that the main characters weren’t good role models to the gay community since they didn’t come out and live as openly gay men in the film.

So the film sucks because it doesn’t portray a politically correct story arc?

by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2019 6:21 PM

Well those posters aren’t a majority and the movie is still popular. But it’s a Bush Era take on homosexuality. Many things from the 2000s haven’t aged well I’m fine with BBM, but others may have issues with it. Some people criticism the movie, and so many gay themed films from the 90s and 2000s because someone always, always, always either dies, gets gay bashed, bullied, falls for a straight guy, or contacts HIV. It wasn’t a good look. Finally, we get normal stories that can have genuine happy endings.

by Anonymousreply 28December 17, 2019 6:26 PM

[quote]Some people criticism the movie

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 29December 17, 2019 6:27 PM

I think the Gay / LGBTQ Community would benefit from a cheesy Lifetime or Hallmark-esque TV channel full of self empowerment movies and shows where characters are shown how to deal with struggles of self loathing, self hate, self doubt, and the (unconscious) attraction to punishment for being gay. Because if there is one thing that unites most of us gays it's that we grew up with the belief that being gay is bad and that fucks gay teens up as much as being gay bashed and bullied.

by Anonymousreply 30December 17, 2019 6:32 PM

sorry, (subconscious) attraction to punishment ...

by Anonymousreply 31December 17, 2019 6:33 PM

We should also have a weight loss, Swan type of show (remember that?), that turns basic bitches into hotties over a 1 year transformation.

by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2019 6:35 PM

To make LOGO successful, in my opinion they would need good writing and original drama content and comedy.

I don't believe they can rely on reruns of 1990s sitcoms, third-rate reality shows about bars, or programs about transitioning. We don't need another show about models and fashion.

I'd suggest well written original crime shows, original sit coms, news programs, legal dramas. Maybe ask Ryan Murphy or well respected writers / producers to create one or two to kick-start the network.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2019 3:01 AM

Ditch the frau-y logo design of the network itself. It looks like something out of Hobby Lobby, "Live, laugh, love".

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2019 3:15 AM

Stop pandering to middle aged hetero women with shallow sugar coated light hearted fluff, and focus programming more on actual issues that affect the LQBTQ community. Get more active in confronting serious topics and social issues. Get more active in educating younger gay folks in their rights, engage them in the political process.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2019 3:22 AM

R35, that would be even WORSE to profitability and popularity than pandering to middle-aged hetero women. Queer as Folk completely went down the toilet when they ran out of episodes based on the British original & tried to continue the series by being politically correct.

We want shows where all of the guys are hot (to someone, if not in general) and have insatiable sex drives, even if the sex itself is mostly just alluded to. We're sick of shows with gay guys whose sex lives (or general lack thereof) is something you'd publicly expect for Mayor Pete, or St. Matthew the Chaste from Our Lady of Melrose Place.

For an excellent example of a show that would be an awesome series on such a gay channel, check out "Where the Bears Are" on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2019 4:06 AM

Turn it into an even more Gay / LGBTQ friendly CW where you see naked asses, and flopping dicks (through shorts).

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2019 11:13 AM

I want all of the reality shows back - A-List, Fire Island, Finding Prince Charming, etc.

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2019 11:22 AM

How about repeats of Brothers, that 1980s comedy series that ran on Showtime.

It starred Robert Walden, but had Paul Regina as the gay brother. Plus it had Phillip Charles MacKenzie as a flamboyant best friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2019 11:50 AM

We'd likely get more interest from streaming services like Netflix and Hulu for LGB content. The networks are awash in trans content, so they have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2019 12:32 PM

Why don't they show gay films?

There have been a ton of gay indie films made over the years - many from other countries, but then I don't mind reading subtitles.

Everything on LOGO now is crap.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2019 1:32 PM

Like TBS runs "A Christmas Story" for 24 hours every Christmas, Logo should do the same with "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2019 1:33 PM

LOGO is only showing stuff VIACOM owns. They will not pay licensing fees to content they don't own therefore suggestions for shows and movies that are not owned by VIACOM is kind of pointless.

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2019 1:44 PM

Like TBS runs "A Christmas Story" for 24 hours every Christmas, Logo should do the same with "Auntie Mame."

by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2019 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!