Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Spinning Out' on Netflix

Starring Kaya Scodelario, January Jones, Will Kemp, Johnny Weir.

[quote]After a devastating fall threatens her competitive skating career, Kat Baker seizes an opportunity to pursue her Olympic dreams, but at the risk of losing everything. Spinning Out follows Kat as she battles her personal demons and faces drama both on and off the ice.

I've been seeing some critics with advanced screeners call it the next Revenge. Apparently, it's trashy fun and highly addictive. Out January 1st.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2020 11:03 PM

I thought it was supposed to be a comedy. I was shocked by the trailer. Looks like GREAT TRASH!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2019 1:31 AM

It's out, it's out, this trash is out! I know what I'm doing today. Will report back.

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2020 11:05 AM

Netflix: the Bad Shit Happens to Good People network.

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2020 11:18 AM

why is that no talent miss jones in it????

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2020 11:59 AM

Five minutes in, January Jones wakes up in the morning from a drunken stupor with flawless makeup, and proceeds to deliver her lines in exact same way she did in Mad Men and X-Men. Remember when the critics called her a good actress back then? Lol.

Will Kemp's nips look luscious. He mumbled his first line, though, so not a good start for him. Editing is atrocious - Kaya Scodelario isn't a figure skater and they obviously couldn't afford to go the CG route like with that Margot Robbie movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2020 12:17 PM

13 minutes in and we get out first gruesome accident on ice involving the skating blades that makes the whole arena freak out. Okay, I'm in!

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2020 12:20 PM

Any gay characters? If not I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2020 12:24 PM

I'll post if there are any gay characters. And I was premature with the January Jones criticism - that's a fun character!

Scodelario either has a very good body double, there's CG going on, or she's actually learned how to skate. Because the next montage was actually quite impressive and I'm not even into figure skating.

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2020 12:30 PM

Black Swan on ice!

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2020 12:30 PM

"Can't land a double axle? DISOWNED!"

A discount Brandon Flynn just fucked the lead, even though he - the actor and the character - is [italic]obviously[/italic] a homosexual. I am cackling right now, this show is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2020 1:03 PM

*axel

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2020 1:04 PM

I watched the first 6 episodes during a bout of insomnia last night. It is good trashy fun. Johnny Weir is a recurring character who gays up the ice even more than a show about figure skating already does.

by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2020 10:47 PM

I'm on the fourth episode right now and it really is trashy fun. The setting is just so cosy, especially at this time of year. Had no idea Idaho could look this charming! Love how they constantly slag off those Boise cunts, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2020 10:52 PM

R13 Your post had me curious. According to IMDB it is filmed in Ontario, Canada.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2020 11:02 PM

r14 Seriously?! They're trying to pass Ontario as Idaho? I feel so cheated now, as a consumer who is completely unfamiliar with either of those two places. 😄

But whatever, I'm not complaining. That place looks like a magical Christmas village at night with that warm lighting, I get fuzzy just thinking about it. Also kudos to their location scouts for that one shot of downtown that looked exactly what I imagine downtown in Podunk, Idaho to look like.

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2020 11:11 PM

Looks like Blue Mountain in Ontario with a matt of higher slopes and mountains behind the real mountain.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2020 11:32 PM

R32 Blue Mountain is listed as one of the locations.

Agreed R15, the setting looks magical and tranquil, hiding the dark underbelly of skating underneath. haha

by Anonymousreply 17January 3, 2020 12:04 AM

Heh, I think I found the place this was modelled after. The aerial drone shots of the ski slopes were definitely taken in Idaho, though, because the geography matches perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 3, 2020 12:49 AM

Compare this resort to the one at r13 and you can see how the architecture is more Idahoan here. Fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 3, 2020 12:49 AM

Sheesh you've never heard of Sun Valley?

by Anonymousreply 20January 3, 2020 12:53 AM

No, I'm not from around here...

by Anonymousreply 21January 3, 2020 12:56 AM

Shits fired at shating rink!

by Anonymousreply 22January 3, 2020 12:56 AM

LOL at this tweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 3, 2020 2:54 PM

r23 Ha, costume designer busted!

by Anonymousreply 24January 3, 2020 2:56 PM

So... in a show about the gayest profession on earth we get no gay characters, yet we get a fucking lesbian?! UGH. This is why I hate Netflix. They shoehorn lesbians into all their shows, while they don't give a shit about gay men. This is a show where it would make sense with gay MALE characters, yet... nothing.

by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2020 8:47 PM

What about Shitt's Creek?

by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2020 9:05 PM

This is pretty funny. Trixie & Katya critique Spinning Out.

They also do the episode of the gay Dolly Parton series episode. Hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2020 11:48 PM

R27 should say the gay episode of the Dolly Parton series.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2020 11:49 PM

1/3 Cutting Edge, 1/3 Ice Castles, little bit of Blades of Glory, little bit of I Tonya = unintentional camp

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2020 11:58 PM

Finally finished it just now after having started it the minute it dropped. It really could have done with about three episodes fewer.

It's a lovely show to watch over the winter or during the hot summer when you're missing winter. I thought the lead guy was a shockingly competent actor - more than a cheapish shows like these usually deliver. I appreciated the black character's racism arc, though some of the writing was a bit awkward - I mean, it's not like the entire skiing profession is racist. Not having a gay character or two in a show about skating is bonkers.

The skating was nice, although don't look at their faces too closely - the CG overlays look like death masks at times. Quite disturbing. Still, great that we're at a point where this technology is cheap enough for TV and we don't need to have awkward cuts all over the place to mask the body doubles.

First show that had me googling "age of consent in Idaho" so that's something, I suppose. 😄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2020 12:35 AM

Oh, and I thought Amanda Zhou was a revelation, with charisma coming out of her ass in every scene she was in. Probably the best thing about this show for me. This gal needs to go places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2020 12:35 AM

Cancelled, omg. It was such an enjoyable shitty show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 4, 2020 8:32 AM

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 33February 4, 2020 9:39 AM

Fuck you too, Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 34February 4, 2020 7:59 PM

Crying as I type this.....

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2020 10:31 PM

It was such a comfy guilty pleasure of a show.

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2020 10:37 PM

There is outrage, OUTRAGE I tell you on FB about this cancellation. Now I have to watch.

by Anonymousreply 37February 4, 2020 10:40 PM

r37 Really? Gays, fraus, mix?

by Anonymousreply 38February 4, 2020 10:55 PM

January Jones can't catch a break. Who hasn't dumped her? Add Netflix to the list of many.

by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2020 11:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!