Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Neo-noir

We had a good thread last week about noir films, and I'm curious if people like noir films made after "Bonnie and Clyde" in 1967 { which most people agree pretty much marked the end of the old studio system). Famous examples would be of course "Chinatown" from 1973 and "Body Heat" from 1981, but there are many others worth discussing.

I'm always surprised they don't make adaptations of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels anymore. very few of them were done definitively: even the 1946 "The Big Sleep," the most famous of them, doesn't fully portray Chandler's world (for one thing, Humphrey Bogart looks nothing like Philip Marlowe). They did an excellent two-season series of the Philip Marlowe for British TV in the 80s with Powers Boothe, and I wish they would make more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 9:32 PM

It's been way overdone. The thing that made noir great was its stylish realism. Try making films about now instead of movies about other movies.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 9:55 PM

Chinatown is not really a neo-noir. It’s a retro-noir. A neo-noir is among other things, self-consciously postmodern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 9:55 PM

You say tom-may-to and I say tom-mah-to....

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 10:09 PM

If you've ever been to LA in winter (I know there's a thread for that), you get a sense of where noir came from. LA has days w/o sun, early sunset (it's winter, afterall) and the cheapness of the built environment and the drabness of the physical environment (aside from the palm trees) is more obvious, along with the sadness who thought a warm climate would make them happy (it didn't).

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 10:12 PM

Actually noir comes from Germany. It was inspired by German Expressionism of the 1920s. Many of the filmmakers and technicians who made film noir were refugees from Hitler’s Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 10:19 PM

Some excellent examples of the genre:

Against All Odds

American Gigolo

Blade Runner

Blue Velvet

The Conversation

The Deep End

Dressed to Kill

Eyes of Laura Mars

House of Games

Inherent Vice

Jagged Edge

The Long Goodbye

Memento

Mississippi Mermaid

Night Moves

Nightcrawler

The Parallax View

Shallow Grave

The Talented Mr Ripley

To Live and Die in LA

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 10:23 PM

The Last Seduction and Two Days in the Valley and LA Confidential are the last great Ametican noir films, otherwise the French still churn out many great noirs year after year.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 10:30 PM

R6 The Deep end was superb. I wish that movie was discussed more.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 11:54 PM

Blood Simple and Pillow Talk are my favorites of the genre.

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2019 12:09 AM

Pillow Talk?

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2019 12:22 AM

R9 I’m quite partial to Mulholland Drive and It Happened One Night, myself.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2019 6:16 AM

[R6], I love the film, but Eyes of Laura Mars is more of an American take on the giallo, which was rooted in Noir but turned up the lurid colors, stylized violence and camp sensibilities considerably.

[R5] Although Noir references German Expressionism it is closer to Italian Neo-Realist sensibility in overall tone and used the narrator and the deadpan in purely American ways that were derived from US pulp and related surrealist literature, such as Nathaniel West's "Day of the Locust".

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2019 6:25 AM

Film noir was a product of the thirties and forties and Italian neorealism was postwar.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2019 10:06 AM

Visconti's Ossessione (the first film adaptation of The Postman Always Rings Twice) lies at the intersection of film noir and Italian neorealism.

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2019 10:12 AM

Noir is not just one thing. The expats may have been a big part but they found a setting in Los Angeles (where they wound up) which is a pretty depressing place part of the year.

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2019 2:15 PM

I just came in here to say blade runner and to live and did in la

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2019 2:22 PM

Great thread! Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2019 2:38 PM

Please keep them coming guys!

Was “Blade Runner 2049” a Neo-Noir too? And what about “Dark City” (I think that was from the late 1990’s). I know they both incorporate sci-fi, but they also really have that strong Noir mood/tone to them, so I’m not sure how to categorize...

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2019 2:43 PM

They are both neo noirs, dummy. Didn't you learn anything from the Netflix video which explained exactly what a neo-noir is, or do you have to be told everything?

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2019 3:00 PM

The French film, “The Beat That My Heart Skipped” (In French: De battre mon cœur s'est arrêté) from 2005 is an excellent Neo-Noir and was very well reviewed. I highly recommend it. The acting and directing, etc., are all top notch and well worth your time.

The star of the movie, Romain Duris, is also a personal favorite of mine and his performance here is perfection and a career highlight...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2019 3:02 PM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 4:53 PM

Let's not forget Bound, which features fantastic performances by Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 6:03 PM

Brick (2005) was a neo-noir set in high school. Worked remarkably well.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 6:25 PM

I love Bound!

[quote] A neo-noir is among other things, self-consciously postmodern.

I think that's too narrow. And that Netflix video is rather glib.

Then again, I used to rile people up on imdb by saying only American films could be noir, so maybe I shouldn't talk about gatekeeping.

[quote]I'm always surprised they don't make adaptations of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels anymore

I love Chandler but I think he's hard to adapt because the best thing about his work is his writing style. So you either end up with too much voiceover or you cut out some of the best stuff.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 7:42 PM

IHMO the most popular Neo-Noir of the last fifty years is "The Big Lebowski".

Which is a combination of genuine Neo-Noir and subtle parody of Noir, but it's a good film and still widely beloved. Even by people who never heard of "Film Noir".

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 9:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!