Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hallmark apologizes for pulling same-sex ads

The chief executive of Hallmark Cards has apologised for its decision to withdraw television advertisements featuring same-sex couples.

The company's cable network pulled the ads for wedding registry and planning site Zola under pressure from the conservative group One Million Moms.

The decision drew criticism on social media and calls for a boycott.

Hallmark said it would reinstate the adverts and attempt to re-establish its partnership with Zola.

"We are truly sorry for the hurt and disappointment this has caused," Hallmark's president and chief executive Mike Perry said.

In a statement posted to its website, Hallmark said it would "be working with [advocacy group] Glaad to better represent the LGBTQ community across our portfolio of brands."

Social media backlash The original decision to withdraw the adverts drew criticism from a number of high-profile gay figures, including Democratic presidential contender Pete Buttigieg and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.

The Netflix US Twitter account also criticised the decision, as did California Governor Gavin Newsom.

The #BoycottHallmarkChannel hashtag, which was launched by Glaad, featured in over 16,000 tweets as of Sunday afternoon.

Saturday Night Live performed a skit which mocked Hallmark's decision, concluding with the line: "This is Emily Cringle for Hallmark, reminding you to stay straight out there."

One Million Moms The original decision to withdraw the advert was prompted by complaints from a conservative activist group.

One Million Moms is an online project of the American Family Association, which is a long-time opponent of gay rights.

One Million Moms said it had personally spoken to Bill Abbott, who's the chief executive of Hallmark's parent company Crown Family Networks.

According to the site, Mr Abbott told them Hallmark had withdrawn the commercial and the advertisement aired in error.

Crown Media notified Zola that four of its ads would no longer be airing, with the explanation that Crown Media is "not allowed to accept creatives that are deemed controversial".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 19, 2019 10:00 PM

No self-respecting gay man would ever buy a Hallmark Card.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 8:02 PM

Oh, I thought someone was on here saying how POWERFUL and MIGHTY the one dozen mom crap is.

Let’s please hear from them now!

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 8:05 PM

Seems like these moms are nobody losers. If you can t sure up Hallmark then you’ve lost.

Who will they lose next? Chic fil A?

They were so mad when they didn’t renew their hate donations.

They said they would be boycotting chic fil a

Well?????

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 8:06 PM

We need a retaliatory organization called Two Million Dads to protest any protests against gay content on TV.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 8:25 PM

Great publicity for this wedding service company. All the gays will be hiring them.

Let this be a lesson to other network heads: don't fuck with the gays cuz we've got power, too

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 8:30 PM

2 HALLMARK STORES NEAR ME HAVE CLOSED RECENTLY.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 8:46 PM

They need the gay money.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 10:08 PM

Cuntface Cole has already called for a boycott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 10:56 PM

Just so we know more about the One Million Moms group, there ain't 1,000,000 moms. Please refer to the attached link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2019 4:54 AM

Why do they think they get to decide what is aired and what isn’t. They are not some ordained committee.

People who are constantly obsessed with gays or other groups or other people in general have serious issues.

Mind your own business.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2019 6:39 AM

“the One Million Moms group, there ain't 1,000,000 moms.”

So they are a house of cards.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2019 6:52 AM

I hope Disney fucks the "150 moms" over next by making Elsa a big ol' lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2019 7:05 AM

Lol

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2019 5:45 PM

Fuck these meddling religionists, trying to police everyone else. I wish them the worst.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2019 11:49 PM

R12 they never will

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2019 11:58 PM

Am I too conspiracy-minded? I can't help but think this was some sort of play between advertiser and network for long-term whatever might have been hoped for.

by Anonymousreply 16December 19, 2019 12:03 AM

There are "Hallmark stores"? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 17December 19, 2019 12:19 AM

Good for Hallmark!

Ok, it happened clusterfuck-style, but in the end they stood up to that shitty "way fewer than a million moms" gang of marauders!

Who's next?

by Anonymousreply 18December 19, 2019 12:41 AM

First, a) how many people actually go to Hallmark stores for do-dads or cards; or b) how many people go to the 99 cent store or Dollar Tree to purchase said similar items for at least 25% off the Hallmark prices, including some of non-card their products? And, c) how many people actually send cards nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 19December 19, 2019 3:56 AM

Hallmark is in some of the ‘dollar’ stores. They put their lower tiered products there.

by Anonymousreply 20December 19, 2019 5:33 AM

Does Hallmark still have independent stores? Malls are dying and the people who go to the few remaining malls in my area don't exactly buy cards.

I think people have gotten over elaborate cards (unless it's a group sort of thing) or "top of the line" cards, even the fraus. We just need something moderately pretty to write a greeting inside, an inside that's preferably mostly blank. It's kind of obscene that an "average" birthday card can be up to $4-5 (or is it more, because I haven't gotten a regularly priced card since I became familiar with Dollar Tree). Rather spend it for the gift.

by Anonymousreply 21December 19, 2019 5:52 AM

I’m sure Hallmark is either diversified or they have been sold off for parts to a hedge fund.

Brands don’t die anymore, they either adapt or they are murdered by evil private equity.

by Anonymousreply 22December 19, 2019 5:54 AM

Does anyone remember the ad campaigns where people turned to the back of their cards to see if they were hallmark? When you care to send the best? T Something like that.

I told a friend about it and they accused me of making it up or misremembering. Then I tried to google it and then noting. No YouTube videos to prove it.

But I distinctly remember it. I might have even brought it up here before.

by Anonymousreply 23December 19, 2019 5:57 AM

R23 I am 55 and remember that campaign which ran for years. God how tacky.

by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2019 7:39 AM

Wow, R23 & 24, I'm also 55 but don't remember that (though I spent a lot of time in school and over-working)' that's exceedingly tacky and, actually, kind of frau mean. You didn't get the right brand? Verboten, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2019 7:56 AM

Yes, the ads did show the card recipient turning the card over to see if it was Hallmark. Old enough here to remember.

by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2019 2:42 PM

Yes, that was their ad campaign: "Hallmark. When you care enough to send the very best."

by Anonymousreply 27December 19, 2019 6:49 PM

Thank you guys. I knew I wasn’t crazy.

by Anonymousreply 28December 19, 2019 6:51 PM

Geez remember when cards were really a thing?

by Anonymousreply 29December 19, 2019 9:33 PM

Sure do remember those ads R23

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 19, 2019 10:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!