Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

#NeverPete: How Buttigieg has drawn the fury of the online left

(CNN)Pete Buttigieg was getting a signal to wrap up his Iowa town hall, but he first gestured to the gathering of young people crouched near the stage as they clutched handmade signs.

"Do you want to go ahead and do the thing?" he asked them. A few voices in the audience chuckled as Buttigieg invited the young activists, most of them college students at Grinnell College, to spread out so he could see their signs. "Wall Street Pete," one sign read. Another: "Youth to Pete: You will Kill Us." "No, I won't! 'You will kill us?' That's really mean!" Buttigieg exclaimed. "I'm here to help you!"

The moment served as a window into the anxieties this young generation has about the inaction of older political leaders on major issues like the climate crisis -- and how much of that anger is now being trained squarely on Buttigieg, who, while their peer in age, has offered moderate views that often align him with older voters.

Increasingly, their opposition to Buttigieg is turning to fury, fueled by a boisterous online ecosystem of progressives who are driving anti-Buttigieg commentary and memes. They view him as beholden to corporate interests, unable to win over the diverse Democratic base that these activists take pride in, and disinterested in the systemic change they believe the country desperately needs on issues like the influence of big money on politics and climate change and systemic racism.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 10:15 PM

These narratives have persisted in spite of what his campaign points to as evidence to the contrary, including that Buttigieg has proposed plans to address those very issues such as a climate change plan to cut emissions to zero by 2050 and a proposal to address systemic racism that he calls the Douglass Plan.

Buttigieg supporters say the criticism has become unhinged, with some progressives eager to latch on to virtually any negative narrative about Buttigieg whether it is true or not.

There is no question: The youngest candidate in the 2020 presidential race, at age 37, isn't doing well with young Democratic voters. In the latest Quinnipiac poll, Buttigieg gets the support among just 2% of voters under 35. And in an average of CNN polling in October and November, Buttigieg gets slightly better with 8% of voters under 35 -- still a single-digit number. While some in the Iowa crowd might have found Buttigieg's invitation to his protesters to be disarming, several of the students were not charmed.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 7:27 PM

"I thought it was condescending," said Dylan Bremner, 22, one of the students who protested Buttigieg over his plan to address climate change. "When he said 'That's mean,' I think it's pretty f***ing mean that you're not going to save us."

"I didn't feel like he was very clear and candid," said another student, 20-year-old Oscar Buchanan. Since he jumped into the race, Buttigieg has gone from a little-known, small-town mayor, to representative of the Democratic Party vision has of itself as an inclusive party to, now, the arch-nemesis of certain progressive advocates. The intense heat on Buttigieg from some corners of his party comes as he rises in both early state and national polls and vies with Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren for a slice of the college-educated electorate. Both candidates have upped their contrasts with each other in recent weeks as the Iowa caucuses near.

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 7:28 PM

Maddow knows shit about him....

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 7:33 PM

The super-left has no intellectual consistency. It's contrarian to a fault and attention-seeking to the detriment of progressive politics.

Gay & Lesbian Rights = passe

Transgender rights and pro-Muslim ideology = the new hotness

Ergo, Pete is too conformist and must be canceled.

They are fine with someone like Linda Sarsour being on Bernie's payroll, while they screech that Pete is going to "kill them" on climate. They don't realize no one likes them. NO ONE.

These twitter lefties are the nouveau Holy Rollers of yesteryear: instead of threatening heretics to their cause with fire and brimstone in hell, they threaten fire and brimstone via "climate catastrophe."

They are why we lose.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 7:34 PM

R4, and the super right are......?

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 7:36 PM

Agree, R4

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 7:37 PM

It might actually turn out that Amy Klobuchar starts to rise at some point, as she's still hanging in there and rising ever so slightly week by week and getting stronger in the debates. She's a woman who has very practical, moderate views and speaks almost like Oprah in a down-to-earth conversational tone, but can slyly get her points across. I recall she was excellent in questioning Brett Kavenagh and making him uncomfortable at his hearings, plus she gave it to Elizabeth Warren, saying that Warren's not the only one with ideas about health care and other things. Even if there are stories about her being difficult boss, that's a tack usually leveled at strong women, and not hauled out for men. Buttigieg is quite brilliant, and if he doesn't become the nominee this time, he's already shown remarkable grace and poise in his debate performances thus far.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 7:40 PM

Klobuchar may be the only person who can beat Trump.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 7:46 PM

The super-right is always as it has ever been R4.

This is the problem with fucking lefties. Criticizing the psychos on the left always is some zero some game. "WELL, what about the RIGHT?!"

I know who the right is. All of us do. But you know what the right has done over the past 20-30 years? They've shut the fuck up and sidelined their more extreme holy roller elements. The Christian Right did NOT give us Trump.

The more the hyper-left screams, the more indies say "eh, fuck this" and either don't vote... or vote Republican. I mean, they're constantly dogging our first openly gay serious contender for the presidency. Which, sure, go for it on policy. But the hypocrisy of then speaking about tolerance and inclusion out of the other side of your pierced mouth?

People don't buy it, they don't like it, so these cuntrags are NOT helpful.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 7:47 PM

I admire Pete's restraint in dealing with these self-righteous, strident assholes. How many of us would lose our temper and just tell them to go fuck themselves? He has nerves of steel.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 7:56 PM

R8,Are you high or just on Amy's payroll? Who the fuck believes this shit?

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 8:07 PM

R11, R8 is Amy's anthropomorphic salad comb, sprung to life.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 8:11 PM

I’m 24 and an ardent Pete supporter. When does my VICE documentary begin shooting?

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 8:26 PM

Pious Pete is an apparatchik of Big Tech (Big Surveillance). He cannot be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 9:11 PM

No to pete buttigieg.

As a matter of fact, FUCK no to Pete buttigieg.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 9:23 PM

R14 R15 RIMuscle MrSexy: Do you trolls really think you're fooling anybody with your phony made up usernames?

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 9:34 PM

'The online left' is about 47 blue-haired fat chicks at Cornell blogging from their dorm rooms.

I'm a far-left in theory (I support immediate jail for all Trumps Klan and admin), but no one cares what these idiots think.

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 9:39 PM

He’s going to “kill them”? How? He’s going to pull out a shotgun at a rally and shoot them for being obnoxious, irrational, unhinged, hysterics that are off their meds?

No Democratic candidate is going to kill any of these idiots. I guess what they really want is for Trump to draft them and ship them out to the war in Iran in his second term. Then he can kill them and they will go happily to their deaths knowing a Republican did it, so it’s okay.

If you really think a Democratic candidate is going to “kill you,” then run, do not walk, to the nearest therapist and get your prescription refilled as fast as you can, before it’s too late.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 10:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!