Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Times Reporter Sat On Public Records Challenging Warren’s Pregnancy-Discrimination Claim

A reporter who now works for the New York Times failed to report on public records, which he obtained in April, that cut against Senator Elizabeth Warren’s (D., Mass.) claim that she was fired from a teaching position in 1971 due to pregnancy discrimination.

Reid Epstein, who was then working for the Wall Street Journal, filed an open-records request with the Riverdale Board of Education on April 2 seeking “to inspect or obtain” copies of public records relating to Warren’s time teaching at Riverdale during the 1970-1971 school year. In response to his request, Epstein on April 10 received school-board minutes that challenge Warren’s story, according to documents obtained by National Review through the New Jersey Open Records Act.

Epstein, who moved to the Times on April 19, never broke the story. Reached for comment, a Times spokeswoman said that the “records were inconclusive” and the potential story required further sourcing.

Earlier this month, the Washington Free Beacon obtained the aforementioned school-board minutes showing that the Riverdale Board of Education had approved a second-year teaching contract for a young Elizabeth Warren in April 1971. Rather than accepting the board’s offer of continued employment, Warren chose to tender her resignation, which was “accepted with regret,” according to minutes from a school-board meeting held two months after the offer was extended.

One day after the Free Beacon reported on the apparent discrepancy, the Times published an article that listed Epstein as a contributor. The Times’ reporting frames the story around “the discrimination that many pregnant women have faced on the job” and highlights Warren’s statement, which dismissed the evidence gathered by the Beacon as lacking in context.

“I was pregnant, but nobody knew it. And then a couple of months later when I was six months pregnant and it was pretty obvious, the principal called me in, wished me luck, and said he was going to hire someone else for the job,” Warren told CBS News on October 7.

Epstein continued to publish articles at the Journal until May 4, none of which included reporting on the school-board minutes. His final byline was published more than three weeks after he received the relevant documents. He declined to comment when asked why he failed to report the story.

New York Times vice president of communications Danielle Rhoades Ha explained that the paper did not feel comfortable publishing the contents of the school-board minutes given that the documents may not fully explain the circumstances of Warren’s departure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2019 1:20 AM

[quote]Reid Epstein

Fucking Epstein, he's the worst. I just skip any articles with his name these days. I think he's been demoted recently and only publishes articles paired with another NYT journo. Also casually mentioned in an article yesterday that Debbie Wasserman Schultz rigged the 2016 primary for Clinton, and got DRAGGED for it on Twitter by other journalists.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 6:15 PM

F&F for linking to The National Review

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 6:52 PM

Fuck off Mayor Pete cultist. Fuck the fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 6:57 PM

Mayor Pete's followers are so filled with hate for progressives.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 7:01 PM

I'm shocked that the board wouldn't commit to writing that it was firing someone for being pregnant! Shocked!

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 7:02 PM

Also the "National Review" OP? Nice unbiased source there.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 7:03 PM

R4, Warren is not progressive. We know that now which is why shes falling in the polls.

Republican Warren can take her public option and shove it!

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 8:04 PM

We have a rapist and a traitor in the White House.

But this year's version of "Her emails!" from fucking 1971 is more important to the Rep rags.

It's all they have.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 8:07 PM

Bernie or bust! Elizabeth can take faux-progressive ass and sit with Biden and Pete at the Reagan Democrat table.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 8:11 PM

FF OP and the rotten source.

Nice try!!

Staying united is the best way to beat the repug traitor scum like OP. lets put a stake in them come November.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 8:28 PM

Let's review, shall we?

[quote]"All I know is I was 22 years old, I was 6 months pregnant, and the job that I had been promised for the next year was going to someone else. The principal said they were going to hire someone else for my job," she said.

[quote]My mother and daddy were born and raised in Oklahoma. My daddy first saw my mother when they were both teenagers. He fell in love with this tall, quiet girl who played the piano. Head over heels. But his family was bitterly opposed to their relationship because she was part Native American.They eventually eloped.

[quote]Warren listed herself as a “minority” in the Association of American Law Schools directory starting in 1986, and presented herself that way in the directory for nine years. That same year, she filled out the bar card, which The Post obtained via an open-records request to the State Bar of Texas.

[quote]“Like anyone who has been honest with themselves, I know I have made mistakes,” the Massachusetts senator said at a forum on Native American issues in this pivotal early voting state. “I am sorry for the harm I have caused.”

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 10:45 PM

You know she's a strong candidate when this is the worst the oppo researchers were able to come up with on her.

"Oh, dear - she claimed Native American heritage when she wasn't a member of a tribe!" "Oh, dear - she claimed she lost a job for being pregnant in an era where that happened ALL THE TIME!"

Weak. Really, really weak. And the only people who GAF about it are right wingers who'd never vote for her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 11:02 PM

If the press covered for her, they should be called out on it.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2019 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!