Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WATCH - 'Sid and Judy'.

She really is having a comeback moment. Presume it is driving the kids crazy.

She is still the Queen.

A revealing new look at legendary entertainer Judy Garland fifty years after her tragic, untimely death. Fusing the unpublished recollections of producer, manager and third husband, Sid Luft, with film clips, rare concert footage and Judy's own inimitable words. What emerges is a complex portrait of a woman whose vulnerabilities were exploited by an industry she helped to build but whose resilience and extraordinary talent made her the quintessential icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 26, 2019 12:37 AM

I love this documentary. Quite well done and so interestingly put together.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 6:11 PM

Yeah, watched it this afternoon. Really great archive. Jon Hamm does a great job with the Sid Luft narration. I liked that the focus was on her 1950s career - the post-MGM period is always told in brief.

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 6:41 PM

[quote] What emerges is a complex portrait of a woman whose vulnerabilities were exploited by an industry she helped to build but whose resilience and extraordinary talent made her the quintessential icon.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 6:51 PM

Darn.....it's blocked.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 6:56 PM

It was blocked for me too :(

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 6:58 PM

It's good. It's really good and chilling. Glad I saw it after I saw the Judy movie.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 7:03 PM

One of the best insights into Judy I’ve ever seen. He was such a mensch. She was lucky to have him.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 7:19 PM

Is it on Netflix or another provider? Would love to see this. I've heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 7:48 PM

Does it talk about Lorna Luft being molested?

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 9:03 PM

Lorna was molested by Topo Gigio backstage on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 9:18 PM

You can watch it at Amazon with the 7-day free Showtime trial.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 9:35 PM

It is on Showtime

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2019 12:20 AM

Has anyone watched?

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2019 4:47 PM

Thish ish shtraight garbagesh!

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2019 5:19 PM

It's a bore

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2019 5:20 PM

I will watch it tonight.

I'm prepared for it to be "good and chilling" or a "bore."

Will report back.

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2019 12:29 AM

It’s good. Chilling is a bit dramatic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2019 12:35 AM

OP, quit looking back at the outdated and outmoded, look forward --->

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2019 1:27 AM

^ No.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2019 1:31 AM

I thought it was very good as well

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2019 4:13 AM

I watched it. Meh.

Sid Luft downplaying his role in screwing up her finances.

And who was narrating Judy's voice? It reminded me of Jennifer Jason Leigh when she played Dorothy Parker in The Viscious Circle.

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2019 5:47 PM

R21 Indeed it was JJL

OP here, watched it, after watching Judy I was glad to see a positive story told, but it did seem very sunny shit only. I like pill popping vomity Judy

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2019 6:01 PM

I think it might have been her.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2019 7:06 PM

It was, and Jon Hamm was Sid

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2019 7:19 PM

I find it hard to believe that he was ever in the Sex Pistols.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2019 8:10 PM

Absolutely nothing new, except maybe for those born yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2019 1:23 AM

R26 Still does not diminish it is a nice documentary

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2019 1:55 AM

Sid Lyft also took advantage of her and stole her money.

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2019 2:39 AM

[quote] Sid Lyft also took advantage of her and stole her money.

But he got her to her destination on time and safely.

by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2019 2:44 AM

Who exactly did molest Lorna?

by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2019 2:51 AM

I don't think Luft technically STOLE money from Judy, but he did like to spend it. He always bought them the best of everything and he also liked to gamble on race horses. All told, they lived a comparatively stable life while he was managing her in the 50's and she was performing regularly.

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2019 6:13 AM

R30 Everyone

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2019 9:31 AM

Judy's death untimely?

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2019 9:57 AM

Sid was Judy's ONLY straight husband. He deserves credit for that. And don't lecture me about "straight" David Rose.

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2019 12:46 PM

Merry Christmas, Judy.

by Anonymousreply 35December 24, 2019 9:56 PM

Actually death was a great career move for her.

by Anonymousreply 36December 24, 2019 10:32 PM

Sid's big problem is that he never could get their taxes right. In the 50s, taxes on high-earners like Judy were close to 90%, if you can believe it. Lots of other wealthy people made use of clever tax shelters to keep more of their income, but Sid was apparently more interested in gambling on the ponies than working out how to keep more of the piles of money Judy earned giving concerts in the 50s. Of course, the fact that Judy needed a huge staff of servants and handlers to keep her going didn't help. Neither did her habit of canceling concerts on a whim, which often left her tours in the red.

by Anonymousreply 37December 24, 2019 10:43 PM

Judy lived very well for someone who was broke much of her life. She was in financial trouble in her twenties; she liked to say that her mother Ethel had squandered her money but Ethel Gumm managed her money conservatively and responsibly. It wasn't until Judy was in control of her money that things started to go wrong. She knew nothing about handling money; she'd let other people do it for her, and the people she chose were usually incompetent or unscrupulous men. Towards the end of her life she lost her house and was homeless, staying in hotels and skipping out on paying the bill buy by piling on layers of clothes (she would instruct poor Lorna and Joey to do the same) and sneaking out of the place. Eventually Lorna and Joey escaped this insane life by going to live with their father, leaving Judy on her own. She'd go from here to there, at one point sleeping on the floor in an apartment belonging to friends of LIza. Here was this huge Hollywood stars, reduced to that. And it was all due to her own bad decisions.

by Anonymousreply 38December 24, 2019 11:31 PM

Judy was typical of female stars of her era in that she was never hands-on with her finances and let it be taken care of by others. Usually the current man in her life. This was a common story of female stars back then, they let their husband of the moment (who had absolutely no background in finance) take care of the money and then got royally screwed because the husband pissed everything away. Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds and a host of others fell victim to this. The only ones who didn't fall into this trap were the frugal lesbians - Garbo, Hepburn and Stanwyck.

Later generations of female celebrities learned a valuable lesson from the mistakes of their elders and left their finances in the care of reputable professionals.

by Anonymousreply 39December 25, 2019 12:21 AM

"And it was all due to her own bad decisions"

Mental illness played a part too.

by Anonymousreply 40December 25, 2019 12:53 AM

I wonder if Judy was born bipolar as fuck, or if her unstable family life and early exposure to uppers and downers unbalanced her brain chemistry to the point she went nuts.

by Anonymousreply 41December 25, 2019 12:56 AM

I think a lot of things contributed to Judy Garland's destruction; being an overworked child star, having an unusually consuming appetite for drugs, bad relationships with men. But she was never the pitiful victim she liked to pass herself off as. She was quite a formidable individual; willful, self-absorbed, determined to have her way. She was TOUGH. She wouldn't have lasted as long as she did if she wasn't. When she died people were amazed that she'd lived as long as she did, considering her health problems and drinking and drugging.

by Anonymousreply 42December 25, 2019 1:37 AM

THINK, R41

by Anonymousreply 43December 25, 2019 1:37 AM

"I think a lot of things contributed to Judy Garland's destruction; being an overworked child star, having an unusually consuming appetite for drugs"

Then what was her sister Suzy's excuse? There was no MGM, there was no overwork, there was no Louis B Mayer. Yes she was alcoholic suicide.

by Anonymousreply 44December 25, 2019 1:41 AM

Then what was her sister Suzy's excuse? There was no MGM, there was no overwork, there was no Louis B Mayer. Yes she was alcoholic suicide.

Maybe because Judy got all the attention?

by Anonymousreply 45December 25, 2019 1:52 AM

Yeah, people commit SUICIDE because they didn't get attention.

by Anonymousreply 46December 25, 2019 1:56 AM

Suzy had a drinking problem and had recently been left by her husband of 25 years for a younger woman who could give him children. Unlike her sisters, Suzy couldn't have kids, and that apparently wounded her deeply. Her childhood was as unstable as Judy's, with no stardom to counterbalance the years of dreary performances in third-rate theaters.

What's amazing is that the other sister, Jimmy, married a nice man, moved to Dallas, and stayed away from showbiz. Sometime late in her life, her niece Lorna met her and was amazed at how much Jimmy reminded her of Judy (they did look rather alike as you can see below), but without Judy's demons. It occurred to her that if her mother had never been a star, this is the woman she might have been. It's a very poignant moment in Lorna's memoir. Sadly, Jimmy also died rather young, at age 59, of heart disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 25, 2019 1:38 PM

Suzy may have had personal problems galore, but she also carried the same genes as Judy - even Lorna speculated that she was mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 48December 25, 2019 3:19 PM

The Gumm genes were not good ones. That's probably one reason why Judy Garland became such a hard core drug addict. She had a system that couldn't get enough of drugs; I think she was born that way.

by Anonymousreply 49December 25, 2019 7:48 PM

Liza must've inherited the Minnelli genes. She's still chain-smoking in her 70s.

by Anonymousreply 50December 25, 2019 7:57 PM

If she hadn't died when she did she would have ended up like Betty Hutton: forgotten and alone.

by Anonymousreply 51December 25, 2019 8:26 PM

Even if Judy had somehow gotten clean in the 60s, most of the physical damage was already done. She still would never have seen 50, probably, but her final years would have been less chaotic.

by Anonymousreply 52December 25, 2019 8:31 PM

Isn't much of the info in this from an unfinished, or at least unpublished, book Sid wrote about his years with Judy?

by Anonymousreply 53December 25, 2019 9:33 PM

Judy had some medical emergency where she could have died. Her body was swelled up with fluid; her liver was shot. I think it was said four quarts of fluid were removed from her body. In the hospital recovering, she was told by doctors that to avoid another such incident she would have to stop drinking and stop working. She did neither.

by Anonymousreply 54December 25, 2019 11:06 PM

Sid Luft's book was published after his death. I have it. And yes this doc is based on it.

by Anonymousreply 55December 26, 2019 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!