Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think Lauren Graham resents her Gilmore Girls co-stars?

She was the star of the show, and was fantastic. Inexplicably, she was never nominated for an Emmy. Her post-GG career hasn’t been great. She was on PARENTHOOD, but it was never a huge hit. She’s written a book or two, and did the GG Netflix revival, but her career seems to have cooled.

Meanwhile, Melissa McCarthy has become one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, with an Emmy win and two Oscar nominations.

Alexis Bledel is on the critical fave THE HANDMAID’S TALE, and even won an Emmy for her powerful work. (I never though Rory Gilmore had it in her!)

Jared Padalecki is super rich, starring in one of the longest running scripted shows in history, SUPERNATUAL.

And then there’s Milo Ventimiglia, starring in THIS IS US, the biggest scripted show on network TV, It’s won and been nominated for several Emmys, something the far superior PARENTHOOD could never accomplish.

So, why hasn’t Graham’s career flourished? Is she in that “difficult” age range now for actresses? Or, are the many rumors true that she’s..well..not exactly a very nice person?

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2019 12:40 PM

Her novel (Someday, Someday, Maybe) was a surprise hit. I don't know why: good marketing and/or good writing?

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 5:31 AM

what happened to that hunky bartender who was her love interest?

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 5:35 AM

I imagine she seethes with it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 5:37 AM

I imagine they were all annoyed by Mellissa McCarthy having a big movie career but thankfully it's cooled off.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 5:41 AM

"Do you think Lauren Graham resents her Gilmore Girls co-stars?"

What am I, psychic?

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 5:43 AM

She's 52 years old.

I can't read her mind but she knew this was going to happen. Any woman in Hollywood that's been working a long time should.

The younger actors are all doing well now. It's their time.

Melissa may be a few years younger but she's also a comedic actress.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 5:52 AM

McCarthy's movie career has been very successful R4, no matter how much you dislike her. I suspect she's done better than Goldie Hawn did in 40 years. Two Oscar noms and billions of dollars in sales. And people like McCarthy. And she was great in Can You Ever Forgive Me. Really very good. Bridesmaids and Heat are classics. Spy was a big and popular hit. Need I go on?

Lauren Graham is a 55 year old girl who says UM, and LIKE and I don't know, a lot. She's been very successful in TV and is one of the oddest looking creatures alive. If she's jealous, she should check her own credentials.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 5:53 AM

r7 I think she's funny but she's put out some stinkers and it's hurt her career. She needs to stick to fat woman struggling to get over a counter because really that's all anyone ever wanted from her "comedy".

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 5:58 AM

R2, this pic is two years old, so to answer your question, he lost his hunk factor and probably his hair, given that tell tale hat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 6:00 AM

She's hideous and has a pig nose and no talent. She shouldn't even be allowed out in public.

And you forgot Liza Weil's continued success on How To Get Away With Murder and the original Sookie, Alex Borstein's, suddenly acclaimed career, thanks to Mrs. Maisel.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 6:04 AM

R9 ...he till looks great in that pic..I am sure there is no hair under that hat :). But he was something in that series.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 6:23 AM

R10 I don’t think Alex Borsteins career was ever a concern to her. She’s been playing Lois on Family Guy for 20 years. She’s probably the wealthiest ex GG cast member, she’s worth around $25m.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 6:39 AM

Plus Alex, despite not being Sookie going forward still had the odd cameo in GG. She was the snarky harp player at the Inn.

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 6:41 AM

According to Google, she's worth 15 million to Padalecki's 12 million. She also hasn't assaulted anyone. Neither is she the worst actor in the history of acting, I don't think she needs to be resentful of Jared.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 6:53 AM

Graham will probably end up working on 911 with Peter Krause.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 7:01 AM

Is she still boning Krause?

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2019 12:26 AM

Wow, who knew so many despise Graham. I always thought she seemed cool, and found her attractive. Unless she's become a plastic surgery victim, the criticism seems a bit harsh here. I'm not really in a position to judge her acting chops. I watched GG on and off, here and there; never saw her in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2019 12:52 AM

R11 Yes, couldn't agree with you more. He still has those dreamy eyes... great nose as well.

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2019 12:56 AM

There was a thread or two here on DL where some self proclaimed insiders spread stories about the working conditions on GG. If I remember correctly Graham was part of the problem, making other people extremely miserable. That could cool a career.

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2019 1:02 AM

I think the difficult person based on an interview I saw was Amy Palladino - the executive producer and writer of GG and Mrs. Maisel. She can write a great story, create interesting characters, but she's mean. And she seems to think mean is funny.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2019 1:10 AM

No...

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 1:12 AM

She still books pilots, so she can't be that hard to work with. She's a regular on a new network show, Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

She's also got bank from GG, Parenthood, and a few studio films. I doubt she's that upset about her career.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 1:19 AM

I can't comment on the regularity, or the girthy-ness of Krause's Peter, but they are often seen around my town where they live part of the time.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 1:41 AM

Alexis Bledel won an Emmy?! How?! She sucks

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 1:43 AM

The right dicks! ^

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 1:47 AM

R24 she was Inexplicably great in Handmaids Tale

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2019 1:49 AM

A little OT, but Krause’s new show 9-1-1 is horrific. He’s really bad in it, and the plot lines are so inane and preposterous I’m shocked it ever made it on American network tv. Oh, who am I kidding, it’s perfect for American network tv

by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2019 1:52 AM

It’s a live action cartoon ^

by Anonymousreply 28December 17, 2019 1:54 AM

Seriously, r28... I mean, one of the characters has a pipe go through his forehead and he lives?? The whole show is so fake. I watched the first three episodes, and spent them rolling my eyes at the stupidity. Angela Bassett is too good for this show.

by Anonymousreply 29December 17, 2019 1:58 AM

Jennifer Love Hewitt is in it for heaven’s sake. Not talking to ghosts this time.

by Anonymousreply 30December 17, 2019 2:22 AM

Isn't 911 a Ryan Murphy show?? And I'd rather have a Ghost Whisperer reboot over another procedural series.

by Anonymousreply 31December 17, 2019 11:09 AM

And Liza Weil is killing it on Maisel as the bassist in the Shy Baldwin band, based on Carole Kaye I think.

by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2019 11:42 AM

Surprisingly, R6, Melissa isn't that much younger. She's 49, which I was surprised to learn. I thought she was maybe early 40s.

by Anonymousreply 33December 17, 2019 11:57 AM

A friend of mine worked at Netflix and organized the promo tour for the Gilmore Girls revival. She told me that Lauren and Alexis hated each other, were total divas and a nightmare to deal with it. I was disappointed to hear that, oh well...

by Anonymousreply 34December 17, 2019 12:06 PM

R24, as R26 said she absolutely did not suck in Handmaids Tale. They put her character through hell on that show and Bledel managed to give a great performance because of it.

R32, as crappy as the show is now Liza Weil never failed to give her snot nosed crying all as Bonnie on "How to Get Away With Murder" for the past few years. Since it's her second Shondaland show (After briefly being on Scandal), I'm sure she'll get a third if Shonda has room for her on one of her new Netflix shows when she launches them.

by Anonymousreply 35December 17, 2019 12:06 PM

She's in her 50s and hard to work with. She couldn't get along with Alexis or the guy who played Luke and had a reputation for being particularly nasty to crew and background. People put up with that shit while your career is hot, but the second you falter, they're happy to kick you to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 36December 17, 2019 12:46 PM

"[R2], this pic is two years old, so to answer your question, he lost his hunk factor and probably his hair, given that tell tale hat."

He's definitely no longer sponge-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 37December 17, 2019 12:52 PM

She couldn't (or wouldn't) get along with Scott Patterson and demanded the love story change on GG because of it, and it ruined the show, not because Luke and Lorelei couldn't break up convincingly but because she demanded it almost at the last minute and they didn't have time to create a plausible scenario. The character went from being difficult yet charming to difficult and obnoxious.

If you watch Graham's interviews for Evan Almighty she comes across as a real asshole. There was an article during the run of GG written by an extra who said they were almost abused by Graham, too, but I can't find it now. It's linked on one of our old GG threads I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2019 1:06 PM

First of all, GG refers to the Golden Girls, you scum bags.

Melissa’s career didn’t really take off until well after Gilmore Girls. Alexis also had a large gap. Takes a while usually to get another hit after being on a hit show.

Parenthood was a big enough hit to mean that Lauren isn’t really a one and done TV star. I think she was also in a commercial for Abreva?

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2019 1:28 PM

I’ve heard it was a really stressful show to make because of all the dialogue. They crammed 80 pages into a 45 minute episode, which is insane. Maybe Graham and Bledel were both just overworked.

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2019 2:47 PM

[quote]she seems to think mean is funny

She's a gay?

by Anonymousreply 41December 17, 2019 2:52 PM

Biedel is a terrible actress and looks like a fetus.

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2019 2:32 AM

In real life Rory and Lorelei would be on Maury every other week.

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2019 2:42 AM

ASP is the real cunt

by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2019 3:09 AM

Was it the crappy cutesy show in which all the leading girls spoke with the same rapid-fire speed? Ridiculous and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 45December 18, 2019 3:20 AM

R45 Yes. Scrubs had the exact same style. Both very annoying shows.

by Anonymousreply 46December 18, 2019 3:57 AM

Am not sure but I love the Gilmore Girls.Is one of the best shows on TV.I especially love the KIrk character and his ambition to have a career making films:) Maybe Lauren Graham isn't as likeable as some of the other actresses.

I didn't realise the girl who plays Rory Gilmore is in the Handmaids Tale.Cool.That's a well written show.

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2019 5:05 AM

When the revival came out, a Facebook acquaintance posted this. I knew it would get deleted (and it was) so I screenshotted!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2019 6:32 AM

R48 Not surprised. Women with unusually youthful ( or babyish ) faces tend to be really bratty. I've noticed this before.

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2019 6:53 AM

R47 Alexis was on Mad Men too.

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2019 12:38 PM

I have a friend who has been doing the thing for decades where you wait outside the stage door to get Broadway actors to sign your Playbill. He has gotten hundreds of autographs over the years, and he says, hands down, Lauren Graham was the nastiest "star" he ever encountered. Total bitch to everyone waiting for her, no smiles, giving everyone dirty looks. I guess this was after a DAMN YANKEES performance.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2019 1:55 PM

Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel were both annoying as fuck--two vanilla white chicks who are as dull as dishwater. I do not know how anyone managed to watch Gilmore girls without changing the channel. I tried watching it once and I wanted to throw the remote at the tv. It's one of those shows that may have been well-liked in its time but it will fade from memory in no time (if it hasn't already). This is how I want to remember Gilmore Girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2019 1:58 PM

R52 I miss mad TV

by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2019 4:40 AM

R53, me too. I watched that particular skit in front of someone who was a huge Gilmore Girls fan. She was irritated by it and found it unfunny and said "no one is going to know what this is referring to!". I was pleased.

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2019 12:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!