Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Eating Raoul" (1982)

If there aren't fans of this on DL, I'm not sure where else to look. I finally watched this for the first time yesterday (it was one of my stepdad's favorite movies), and it truly is one hell of a black comedy. I didn't realize Mary Woronov was as comically capable as she is; I've mainly seen her in darker material. She and Paul Bartel played off one another brilliantly throughout. The humor is subtle in a way that, while it never grabs for big laughs, it left my chuckling the whole way through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 17, 2019 11:48 AM

*left me chuckling, for god's sake

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 4:59 AM

Definitely one of my favorites.

"Listen, buddy, there's nothing cheap about my store! You mean INEXPENSIVE, don't you?"

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 5:04 AM

The most amusing scene for me is when Raul tries to off Paul by driving at him as he gets in his car, but ends up taking off the car door instead.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 5:09 AM

The guy who gets the enema at the beginning is a hot daddy.

It was so odd seeing him in this as he usually played cops in all those 70s crime dramas.

Hot body.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 5:14 AM

Robert Beltran was also hot in this movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 5:18 AM

After the movie came out I recognized Paul Bartel as he used to come into the restaurant where I worked. He was an unpleasant jerk every time.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 5:19 AM

Great movie, hilarious in yes, a dark and subtle way. And Woronov was fantastic, funny and sexy, she's never gotten a part half as good again.

Funny, I'd forgotten all about that movie. Thanks for reminding me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 3:49 PM

Moose, honey, they're into DOGGIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 3:55 PM

TITTY LUBE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 3:59 PM

"Yeah, well swing on THIS!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 5:52 PM

"I will never tell you where they are, you filthy Nazi pig."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 5:55 PM

"You're not gonna help my ego by tellin' me you've got some weird pussy disease?"

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 5:58 PM

"If you'd done what he wanted, he would have died anyway!"

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 6:06 PM

"Lick my boots you worm!"

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 6:07 PM

"Mary, if we call it the Country Kitchen, can the specialty still be the Bland Enchilada?"

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 6:09 PM

"It's amazing what you can do with a cheap piece of meat"

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 6:14 PM

"Hello Police? I'd like to report a murder...uhhh I mean an accidental death!"

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 6:15 PM

"Don't worry, she's just kidding—actually, enemas are my specialty!"

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 6:17 PM

"Try not to tear anything this time"

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2019 6:22 PM

CLONK! (dull thudding sound)

P: These swingers sure have a lot of cash!

M: Well it's ours now!

Watched this a few months ago for the first time in probably 30 years, after seeing it many times in the 80s. Still so very funny to me. Love the fabulous 50s furniture collection. Love how Paul and Mary are so decidedly square. I never saw Beltran in anything else.

Vios con Dios!

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2019 6:39 PM

My roommate in college had it on VHS and we watched it over and over. Also had "Lust in the Dust" which we watched dozens of times. Paul Bartel RIP!

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2019 6:54 PM

We don't mind a little hugging and kissing every now and then—but [italic]that???[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2019 6:56 PM

"He was a man....now he's just a bag of trash!"

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2019 6:58 PM

Here's his IMDB page, r20....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2019 7:00 PM

Beltran became a follower of Lyndon Larouche, which is the stupidest political cult ever.

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2019 7:08 PM

"James is from the Valley, I bet he'd like Chablis" I never understood this line. Chablis these days can be a very nice wine. The way Paul says this implies Chablis is a low rent wine.

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2019 7:10 PM

Disposing of the first victim:

MARY: I was thinking I could go to the bank and apply for a loan.

TRASH COMPACTOR: Clunk-clunk. Whir.

MARY: What do you think?

PAUL: Well, I guess it took him.

MARY: No, I mean about the bank. And the loan.

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2019 7:15 PM

I am snort laughing at the quotes. I think Paul & Mary's Bland snobbishness being sort of made up and baseless is part of the joke.

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2019 7:27 PM

Tonight I shall stab mah seed into your GENTLE ALIA!

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2019 7:29 PM

This film isn't nearly as funny as its reputation would suggest.

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2019 7:31 PM

It's the kind of film they don't make anymore. It settles on dry humor when modern comedies are either too bland (pun intended) or try too hard to shock. Wish Bartel made more movies.

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2019 7:36 PM

If you like Christopher Guest's movies but want something even less PC, you should enjoy it. Scenes from a Class Struggle is not as funny, but I appreciated it more when I saw it again years later.

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2019 7:40 PM

"You done with that? Good I'll go bury it"

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2019 7:41 PM

"Paul, nobody is trying to kill you. [italic]We're[/italic] the ones killing people."

by Anonymousreply 34December 17, 2019 11:45 AM

The Blands' first victim: How ya doin', pal? Am I early or what? The early bird gets the pussy, am I right?

Paul: PUSSY?

by Anonymousreply 35December 17, 2019 11:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!