Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 58th Academy Awards: If I could turn back time

1986- everyone was so young!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 19, 2019 6:27 AM

Damn, John Huston and Akira Kurowsawa in the same category.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 3:21 AM

Huston remains the oldest director nominated for an Oscar, so everyone was not so young at the 86 Oscars...

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 3:29 AM

Streisand was so gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 3:31 AM

I enjoyed the clip right up until the end when I got a little nauseous.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 3:45 AM

I thought M and Pollack didn't get along very well on that film?

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 3:45 AM

And who could ever forget F. Murray Abraham's cringeworthy Best Actress pronouncement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 3:50 AM

Adolescent Angelina Jolie at the 2:00 mark (and her father giving her brother the death stare).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 3:51 AM

No, Pollack had nothing but praise for M:

"Harrison Ford has this charismatic thing that makes you want to watch him, and yet he doesn't has the ego and narcissistic baggage that goes with being in that position. I felt that way working with Meryl Streep, too. A gift."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 3:51 AM

Pollack aged well into quite a DILF. He's actually much more handsome in his 60s and 70s than he was as a younger man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 4:06 AM

The Way We Were was a far superior film in every way to Out of Africa and it didn't win any Oscars.

At least TWWW is one of the most beloved films of all time. Few people have seen Out of Africa, or even like it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 4:24 AM

At least Redford gave a performance in "The Way We Were"; he was a complete non-entity in "Out of Africa", miscast and dialing it in. They might as well have used CGI instead of him.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 4:27 AM

[quote]At least TWWW is one of the most beloved films of all time.

?????

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 4:36 AM

[quote] Pollack aged well into quite a DILF. He's actually much more handsome in his 60s and 70s than he was as a younger man.

And he’s absolutely gorgeous now!!!

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 4:41 AM

R10 I agree but I like OOA a lot, too. By the way, I could have given Oscar to all of them.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 4:46 AM

Out of Africa was a pretty decent hit - Wikipedia says it grossed $228 million on a $28 million budget. But it doesn't seem well-remembered now. My parents dragged me to see it as a kid and I thought it was a snoozefest.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 5:51 AM

The Way We Were is one of the best movies ever.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 7:56 AM

Out of Africa was on tv this weekend. It's a very silly film, looks great though. Meryl is good. Redford is terrible in it. Klaus Maria Brandauer is fantastic, sort of has a dangerous charisma, acts them both off the screen.

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 8:37 AM

R6 - we have had previous threads on this clip but I still like the sour look on Jessica Lange's face as if she knows she aint gonna win, and Anne Bancroft's reaction to Abraham's pomposity.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 8:48 AM

Unbelievable. The absolute least deserving nominee wins. That they gave it to Pollack over Kurosawa for the extraordinary, masterful RAN is criminal. If they'd given it to Huston (the second most deserving) for the extremely good Prizzi's Honor, it would've been, at least, understandable and one could accept it, but Out of Africa !?! That movie is utter middlebrow Hollywood pablum. Pretty stars in pretty locations. Dreck. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2019 8:51 AM

Here's Anjelica's win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2019 8:53 AM

I liked Out of Africa much more than TWWW. Same director? Is that why you guys are comparing the two?

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 10:34 AM

Same director.

Tootsie was his masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 11:13 AM

To think the elder Huston wouldn’t even be here in less than two years.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote]The Way We Were was a far superior film in every way to Out of Africa and it didn't win any Oscars.

Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2019 12:33 PM

Burt Bacharach was one hot piece of ass back in the day. I wonder if her swung both ways? Is that Valerie Perrine presenting with him?

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 11:38 PM

Everyone was so still alive.

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2019 11:50 PM

[quote] Is that Valerie Perrine presenting with him?

Ann-Margret

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2019 12:02 AM

Sally still not able to forget "You really like me" long after everyone has forgotten it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2019 12:17 AM

Wow surprising Harrison Ford didn't show up for his only Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2019 12:48 AM

Before he became a Deplorable my friend always hated Jon Voight from the 70's because he always wears a white scarf with his tuxedo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2019 7:57 PM

R30, Jon Voight has been wearing that tired tuxedoed white scarf look since '70s and continues to do so today. It bugs me too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 19, 2019 6:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!