Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ever experience a huge economic downgrade?

How did you survive the setback? Did you ever climb back up to where you were or did you learn to live like a poor person? I'm about to lose an easy $80k job and my marketable skills realistically put me in the $40k salary range when I need to start over. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 1:30 PM

I am really sorry to hear your trouble, OP. I hope all works out, I am pulling for you.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 2:54 AM

Yes I lost more than half of my salary and it took me a good twenty years to fully recover.

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 4:21 AM

I'm in the exact same situation, OP. Got laid off a few months ago. (Same salary then, too.) I decided to take a few months to get ahead of credits needed for a masters degree. When I get a new job, I'll be starting in a new field...at the very bottom.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 4:24 AM

OP, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. I think now is the time to look at every single one of your monthly expenses. Which expenses are truly "fixed" expenses? A couple of years ago, I got rid of cable TV and saved $80 per month. Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 4:30 AM

Yes, that happened to me about a year into my first job after college. The economy went into a recession and the field I was in basically came to a screeching halt with maybe 50% of the people still working. I survived by freelancing a lot, so it wasn't all bad. Could pick and choose my jobs and since freelancers don't get benefits, overtime or holidays, it's and unwritten law that your hourly rate is higher than if you were staff. But that downturn in my industry lasted more than a decade. I ended up switching fields entirely. Slow long climb back. But on the plus side, I learned new skills I still use today.

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 5:27 AM

40,000 is not poor. Anyone can survive on that if they choose to. The average income in the US is 31,000. I know, not great but that's what the average American lives off of.

Best advice I could give is assume you may not get another job for a decade. What would you do then? Us that as your budget guide. Pay off all you credit cards and loans so if you run out of money you wont default on them. Keep one or two open but pay them off monthly to keep your credit score good. If you don't cook, time to learn. Don't buy anything that is not an absolute necessity. By that I mean you need pots and pans to cook with, you don't need a new clothes. You may want them but you don't need them. Cut out any dinners with friends and ask them to come meet for coffee or cheap lunch instead. Cut out alcohol and other recreational expenses. Be brutal, you really don't know if your next job will be in 6 months or 6 years. If you do that now by choice, it's much easier than when the money runs out.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 5:38 AM

I took one, on purpose, to get my life back from my previous-previous job. It didn’t take long to realize what a kiddie pool of bullshit I’d put myself in, but at least I could enjoy my evenings and weekends.

I work hard so my salary climbed each year for five years, though it never matched my previous salary. Then I saw an opening for the job I’m in now, which I love and which pays me more than I was making before.

During those five years I got roommates, scrutinized every monthly expense, stopped watching TV and became a homebody. I’ve retained those sensibilities even though I’m earning more now. It’s nice.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 6:11 AM

A good rule to follow (and maybe you have already been doing this) is never to live in such a way that you use up your entire salary. If you are earning $80,000, you should try to live and pay all your expenses as though you were earning just $50,000 and save or invest the rest of your salary. That way, you have a nest egg if and when you are downsized, and you also have the skills to live a satisfying life on a lower salary.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 6:37 AM

A few years ago, a few catastrophic illnesses has me on disability - went from 50g a year to 1342.00 a month - taxes, insurance, and utilities take up 850.of that --- not a lot of wiggle room. Food budget is 7/a day --- no going out, no buying anything.- if I do go out, its with the generosity of friends..the house and car are paid off, and hope they magically last till I give up the ghost..

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 7:24 AM

I've been consistently downwardly mobile my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 1:22 PM

So just work two jobs

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 1:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!