Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Construction Starts On US Naval Ship Harvey Milk

Milk's nephew, Stuart Milk, was asked at the ceremony if his uncle would have ever dreamed a ship would be named after him.

"My answer would be yes. It's what gave him the courage to face those bullets 41 years ago. He dreamed of all of us being included and our diversity of the human race would be included and that we would not be diminished because of that," Stuart said.

Construction of the U.S.N.S. Harvey Milk should take two years.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2019 2:21 PM

That's a really beautiful quote.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 1:08 AM

Wow!

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 1:11 AM

First pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 1:12 AM

[quote]USNS Harvey Milk will be the second of the John Lewis class of underway replenishment oilers

It is extraordinary that they're naming any ship after him, especially since he was forced by the navy to resign for being gay.

But, it's basically a refueling ship. It's not exactly a prestige ship like an aircraft carrier, submarine, or even destroyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 1:19 AM

[quote] It's what gave him the courage to face those bullets 41 years ago.

As if he "faced" those bullets on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 1:29 AM

[quote]My answer would be yes. It's what gave him the courage to face those bullets 41 years ago.

I just looked down, saw my nephew spouting this crap, spit coffee out of my mouth, and said:

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2019 8:58 AM

I see a bit of civilian confusion about the ship. U.S.N.S designations go to vessels owned or chartered by the Navy but are not commissioned warships. They are crewed by civilians so nobody ever gets the Navy Cross or promoted to Admiral.

Various classes and specialties but mostly oilers and cargo carriers like the USNS Bob Hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2019 2:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!