Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Meet the Dutch girls who seduced Nazis — and lured them to their deaths

[quote]vWhen she came across a Nazi killing an infant by repeatedly swinging its tiny body against a brick wall, Truus Oversteegen didn’t flinch. The freckle-faced teenager, who was just three months shy of her 17th birthday when Germany invaded the Netherlands in May 1940, was a newly minted member of the Dutch resistance. She had been mostly assigned to hide Jewish children, political dissidents and homosexuals in various safe houses throughout Haarlem, her hometown, which was about 12 miles west of Amsterdam.

True heroines. It makes me sad to have never heard their story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2019 10:42 PM

LITTLE WOMEN WITH GUNS

[italic]Only on Lifetime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 11:11 PM

What courage! I hope someone makes a movie about this so more people can appreciate this story.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 11:25 PM

We need them now. Or someone like them.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2019 11:28 PM

[quote]What courage! I hope someone makes a movie about this so more people can appreciate this story

There actually is a Dutch movie about one of the girls, she was executed by the Germans just before the end of WWII

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2019 11:30 PM

I love their heroism. Of course. But I can't get over the image of anyone swinging the head of an infant against a brick wall. No joke here or attempt at humor. Just anger.

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2019 11:35 PM

R5 That reminds me of the 1982 Dos Erres massacre in Guatemala I recently read about, commited by the local military:

[quote] They raped women and girls, and ripped the fetuses out of pregnant women. They bashed the smallest children's heads against walls and trees, and killed the older ones with hammer blows to the head. A baby was the first to be killed, by dumping the baby live into a deep 4 meter well, along with the rest of the bodies then after. Then the commandos interrogated the men and women one by one, raped some of the women again, then shot or bashed them with the hammer, and dumped them in the well. The massacre continued throughout 7 December. On the morning of 8 December, as the Kaibiles were preparing to leave, another 15 persons, among them children, arrived in the hamlet. With the well already full, they took the newcomers to a location half an hour away, then shot all but two of them. They kept two teenage girls for the next few days, raping them repeatedly and finally strangling them. Only one person survived this massacre, a small child who managed to escape.

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2019 11:43 PM

I regret reading this thread

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 12:46 AM

I regret reading this thread

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 12:46 AM

Paul Verhoeven's movie Black Book was kinda similar to this story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 1:01 AM

BLACK BOOK is fantastic.

Paul “Showgirls” Verhoeven has always been an excellent director when not working in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 1:21 AM

So do I.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 11:17 AM

I just listened to a podcast about them last week. It was an episode of My Favorite Murder. Crazy story, brave women.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 11:39 AM

I picture their story adapted as a Paul Verhoeven erotic thriller.

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 11:58 AM

[quote]They raped women and girls, and ripped the fetuses out of pregnant women. They bashed the smallest children's heads against walls and trees, and killed the older ones with hammer blows to the head.

WTF is wrong with men? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 12:04 PM

Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is a candy colored chilling dystopia about a future fascist regime.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 12:10 PM

It's obvious that the misandrist frau's are already invading the thread. Thanks, R14.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 12:13 PM

That would be a no R16. I'm sure you've noticed that women haven't been behind progroms throughout history. That belongs to men.

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 12:24 PM

Generalizing men because of history is as much misandry as generalizing women would be misogyny for the shitty things some of them have done. I'm sure you believe R17 that Elisabeth Bathory was a victim of the patriarchy.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 12:29 PM

R18, who knows. We were not there. I don't believe she killed as many people as history claims. Seems excessive but a lot of powerful men did owe her a ton of money they didn't want to pay back.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with some cunt who is just looking to argue for argument's sake. Piss off. Talk about trolling.

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2019 12:36 PM

[quote] "a Nazi killing an infant by repeatedly swinging its tiny body against a brick wall,"

This is very hard to believe. The Germans acted with very great discretion in Holland. I'm sure she saw brutality, but I don't believe it was in any way THAT. In Holland things were much more cooly procedural. The Germans stepped back and had the dutch police do much of their dirty work. And the dutch police, and the Germans in Holland, certainly weren't going round killing babies, in public or otherwise. That happened when they were quietly shipped to Poland.

The "swinging the baby by the legs to bang its head" has become an 'evil nazi trope' like the now proven false one of jewish soap. It undoubtedly occurred in the extermination camps and in Poland, but even there, it's not likely to have occured to the extent it is told. However it heightens a colorful narrative. And that's regrettable. The Holocaust is bad enough. It doesn't need the horror embroidered for emotional or narrative effect. Old women tell tales.

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2019 12:38 PM

Supposedly, the Japanese killed babies with bayonets during the "Rape of Nanking". You know it's bad when even Nazi's are horrified by your brutality.

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2019 12:41 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2019 12:51 PM

Please, Muriel, some FFs. R20 is sorely in need of one.

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2019 12:51 PM

True heroes, unlike today's trash that thinks shit posting and "canceling" are actions. These were real heroes, and they're found across Europe. Since the kinder know nothing of history, I refer you the White Rose student group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2019 12:55 PM

Those German chicks were seriously rough looking. That Altvater woman looks positively psycho.

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2019 1:09 PM

This is heroism, coming from one who suffered for it, yet lived to tell her story through a fantastic book and a beautiful film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2019 1:15 PM

R22, Have you seen the YouTube video describing the Nazi nurses who murdered the hundreds of mentally and physically less than perfect German citizens and then lied to their families re how they died? We're not just talking the very disabled here either. It was so pervasive that local schoolchildren joked that bad kids who didn't behave or follow the party line would join the blue smoke billowing from the sky in the nearby extermination building.

My 2nd generation German-American roommate explained the German mentality. You're either an extremely productive matter of the Fatherland or you are a drain on society's resources. Even today I know of elderly people who force themselves to work beyond their physical capacity or try to end their lives, comparing themselves to old, broken down horses.

China still has the same viewpoint. Note the lack of care homes for the very elderly and disabled. Children that can't keep up at school are left at home, without care, as both parents must work full-time.

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2019 1:17 PM

[quote]One of the evil frauen in the story at R22 is named Erna.

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2019 1:20 PM

Why R23? I'm not saying babies weren't killed. Eichmann's bureau wanted to kill every Jewish child it could get its hands on! But Holland wasn't Poland or Russia. Indeed, if a Dutch police officer, or even Nazi soldier had done that in Holland -- or Germany for that matter-- he would have been sanctioned. The Germans were very particular about not upsetting the Dutch populous more than could be helped. The Holocaust was discreetly managed there.

Whatever killings this woman did, it would be reasonable to expect they may have troubled her conscience in later life, and the what she did see, and what she felt she needed to say to justify it to herself and others may be very different things. The truth is often very much more complex. Perhaps...just perhaps...this incident did happen. But it would have been utterly out of the ordinary if it had. Repeat: Holland wasn't Poland or Russia, where the rulebook was tossed out the window. In Holland, the Germans acted within their own rulebook, where appearances of order and 'military correct behaviour' (while organising for the mass murder to occur elsewhere) were very important to them. Their resources were spread thinly, so if anyone had committed a blatant outrage like banging a baby's head against brick walls, and word had got out, they would have risked far more insurrection. Orderly rounding up of Jews for Westerbork, and shipping them off for extermination elsewhere: that could be done without upsetting the pigeons.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2019 1:25 PM

R27, you do realize that Euthanasia was an American idea. It was introduced to Germany through an American exhibit at the Hygiene Museum in Dresden. It was also very popular world wide in the 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2019 1:28 PM

Why are you defending Nazis R30

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2019 9:39 PM

I believe every horrid story these heroic ladies could tell, was likely true.

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2019 10:13 PM

Non-violent resistance is over-estimated.

It's a fine thing. But it is not the only way.

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2019 10:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!