Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Simon & Garfunkel songs of the 1960s.

Are you a fan of their music of this era?

Any faves?

Let's include Bridge Over Troubled Water song and album as it was recorded in 1969, but released in early 1970. Although I personally find the album to be disappointing and the title song a bit of a dirge that I would never pick out to listen to.

I think I like Homeward Bound best of all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2019 5:02 PM

All five of their studio albums were recorded in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 10:27 PM

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 11:52 PM

I was a huge fan of theirs when I was in high school in the 90s.

"Blessed" is a great song.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 1:04 AM

My wedding song....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 1:20 AM

I am. I like how their music romaticizes the 1960s for me (I was born in 1965, so my actual memories of the late 60s are extremely vague and fragmented).

One song I like in particular is "At The Zoo," only because The Bronx Zoo used it for a commercial in the 1980s, and I thought that was a cool way to promote it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 1:22 AM

Old Friends is a real tear jerker. I like a wistful song myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 1:36 AM

A lot of their songs of this era seem to be overproduced. Listen to Old Friends, the arrangement is way too busy...the strings are competing with the singers and don't even sound that nice. This is the sort of thing the British were MUCH better at back then.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 1:38 AM

“America” was a great song...there were many, actually.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 1:43 AM

R7 Perhaps.

However, the clashing eerie sound was very much meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 1:50 AM

Thy were absolute genius. One of my faves, My little town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 2:16 AM

I like "The Boxer". And although it's from the 70s instead of the 60s, I too love "My Little Town".

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 2:17 AM

Here Paul is joined by his brother on stage, it's like seeing double.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 2:24 AM

A lot of the songs sound very pretentious now, but growing up I loved (and identified with) "I Am A Rock". Bookends is definitely their best album. "Fakin It" from that album is great.

If Art Garfunkel never did anything else in their work, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" would be enough. His vocals are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 3:04 AM

Dangling Conversation could be a theme song for Datalounge:

And we sit and drink our coffee

Couched in our indifference, like shells upon the shore

You can hear the ocean roar

In the dangling conversation

And the superficial sighs

The borders of our lives

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 3:11 AM

Omg, if The Boxer happens to come on and I’m in a sad sort of place, I can cry like a baby.

Don’t know what it is about this song. It’s a heartbreaking and sad tale for this dude.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 3:11 AM

[quote]A lot of the songs sound very pretentious now,

They really do. That Holden Caulfield style teenage angst. "I Am A Rock" is particularly funny now but I love them all.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 3:49 AM

I loved them when I was young, and still love "Mrs. Robinson".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 4:00 AM

Cecilia is fun and different for them.

A You Tube comment says: St. Cecelia is the patroness of musicians. This song is about how fickle the songwriter thinks she is; how inspiration comes and goes and sometimes seems to be given to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2019 4:44 PM

I agree, R11. I like the Boxer too. Emmylou does a nice cover of it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2019 4:48 PM

Man oh man, Paul really liked his micro bangs back in the day!

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2019 4:49 PM

Only living Boy in New York is my favorite and always makes me cry.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2019 5:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!