Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Joseph Cotten Appreciation Thread

His fame seems to have peaked in the 1940s.

A favorite of Alfred Hitchcock and Orson Welles. He and Welles were BFFs until Welles died, in fact.

Married only twice, and both marriages ended due to death.

Any scandals? Juicy rumors?

Apparently he wrote an autobiography. Is it any good?

What's your favorite movie of his?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2020 4:55 AM

No scandals that I'm aware of, but Shirley Temple in her autobiography confessed that when they were filming "Since You Went Away," she had a massive teenage crush on him.

In "Citizen Kane" there was a scene in which Cotten, as The New York Inquirer's music critic Jedidiah Leland, is sitting at his typewriter reviewing Susan Alexander Kane's disastrous operatic debut. Leland is supposed to be drunk in the scene. In order to make it look authentic, Cotten stayed up all night and was actually drunk during that scene. He blew a line, saying "crimitism" instead of criticism, but it suited the scene so well that Welles left it in.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 10:24 PM

I loved him in Shadow of a Doubt. I don’t think it was typical of what he usually played. He is just so sinister in it. He played against Theresa Wright as his niece and he seemed to add some sexual tension that made it even weirder, especially for the time. I can watch that movie again and again.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 11:16 PM

He had a wonderful voice.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2019 11:18 PM

Wonderful, versatile actor, with an incredible career--he was in the original stage production of "The Philadelphia Story," with Katharine Hepburn--then acted with her again at the end his career in the filmed play of "A Delicate Balance." Worked in two of the best movies ever made ("Citizen Kane" and "The Magnificent Ambesons"), "The Third Man"....incredible.

His autobiography is unreadable. Take it from me.

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2019 11:22 PM

Whaddya wanna know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2019 11:24 PM

and he did star in the 1, 2, 3 super punch of monroe's stardom with "niagara" as her evil character's husband, this movie was then followed by gentlemen prefer blondes and how to marry a millionaire, that cemented monroe's career and fame into the white heat stratosphere.

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2019 11:27 PM

It was rumored that he was actually light skinned black. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2019 11:29 PM

Bette Davis opined that one of the reasons "Beyond the Forest" was so ridiculous was because her character was supposed to be miserable while married to Joseph Cotten.

"Who would leave that darling, lovely man?" she said.

Agreed, Miss Davis.

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2019 11:55 PM

She also said the role should have gone to Virginia Mayo.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 1:05 PM

I wanna know why you dusted your face with baby powder in that pic, Patsy Medina at r5.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 6:51 PM

R7, I heard the same rumor. He does look biracial.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 6:54 PM

R8 , YOU STOLE MY REPLY .

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 6:55 PM

OP is contributing to the thread count.

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 6:57 PM

He was also known for being homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 7:34 PM

It was a B movie, hence the suggestion of Virginia Mayo by Davis.

Have heard the homophobic comment but no specific events.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 8:50 PM

He did threaten--and made good on the threat--to kick Hedda Hopper "up the ass" if she wrote one word about his wife (Lenore). She did, so he did. And she never tried to make him suffer for it. Probably the only decent thing she did.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 9:46 PM

Never understood why he speaks with an American accent while playing a detective from Scotland Yard in "Gaslight".

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 9:52 PM

And I think he the best thing in Citizen Kane.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 9:52 PM

His autobiography was the first thing I bought on eBay. I have never read it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2019 9:54 PM

He had that delicious accent. I wonder if he was part black.

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2019 9:58 PM

Weird, ugly guy. My mother ADORES him. Never could figure out why. He's good in Niagara. But it's Monroe's picture.

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2019 9:59 PM

he was reduced to doing Bufferin commercials in the late 50s/early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2019 10:05 PM

I did not like his face.

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2019 10:12 PM

Also very good being restrained while Greg Peck and Jennifer Jones tear up the scenery in Duel in the Sun. And I like him opposite Joan Fontaine in September Affair.

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2019 10:18 PM

Sexy guy.

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2019 8:25 PM

He appeared in TWO Bette Davis campfests - Hush Hush Sweet Charlottee and Beyond The Forest. Can't be all bad.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2019 2:21 PM

I agree with the previous poster about Shadow of a Doubt. Do you think Blue Velvet was inspired by it? Teresa Wright was tremendous and Cotten was suavely scary. His speech at the family dinner table about rich women eating their money should have been a warning to the family!

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2019 2:38 PM

Astonishing that he wasn't even nominated for Shadow of a Doubt; only thing I can presume is that it was released in January of 1943 and thus the Academy forgot about it by the end of the year. Surely he was better than Walter Pidgeon in Madame Curie and/or Mickey Rooney in The Human Comedy?

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2019 3:03 PM

Mickey Rooney was actually really good. I would have kicked Walter Pidgeon and Gary Cooper to the curb for sure.

SOAD got a screenplay nomination but maybe Cotten didn’t do enough press.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2019 11:09 PM

He got soaked in Airport ‘77 opposite DL legend Olivia De Havilland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2019 11:33 PM

He's a good actor, nice looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2019 11:40 PM

I don't think he ever displayed a lot of range.

by Anonymousreply 32December 19, 2019 6:43 PM

To me he always just seemed cool, in the modern sense of the term. And smart. He's great in The Third Man.

by Anonymousreply 33December 19, 2019 7:04 PM

Love him also in Portrait of Jennie.

by Anonymousreply 34December 19, 2019 8:32 PM

He was wonderfully menacing in Niagara as Marilyn Monroe's enraged, cuckolded husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2020 4:10 AM

"Married only twice, and both marriages ended due to death."

How did he die twice?

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2020 4:47 AM

Geez, after this can we do a Methuselah appreciation thread?

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2020 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!