Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kennedy Centers Honors Tonight, CBS, 7:00 est

I'm looking forward to the Linda Rondstadt tribute. The poor Sesame Street crew had a hard time performing. They had just heard the night before that the long-time Big Bird puppeteer had passed away. But it sounds like a good show.

Sally Field stuck around DC long enough to protest in front of the Capitol on Friday with Jane Fonda. I think she was arrested. So good for her. DC jails are NO picnic. Hopefully, she just got a fine.

by Anonymousreply 110December 18, 2019 10:39 PM

Sorry. I guess that's 8:00 est.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2019 11:19 PM

Hosted by 2017 recipient, LL Cool J, The 42nd Annual Kennedy Center Honors will broadcast Sunday, December 15, 8-10 PM ET/PT, on CBS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2019 11:54 PM

I didn’t think that Linda would make the trip to DC. It’s great to see her.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 12:17 AM

Where the fuck are you, Dolly?

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 12:23 AM

This has to be a great moment in time for Linda Rondstadt. And, Carrie Underwood sounded good.

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 12:23 AM

Trisha Yearwood is surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 12:23 AM

I love Kevin Kline. I wish he would do more movies.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 12:27 AM

Sally Field looks great.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 12:35 AM

This show is giving me the feels.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 12:56 AM

Why is the telecast so early this year? I don't ever remember it not being aired earlier than late December, after Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 1:04 AM

WHY does Carrie Underwood have to attend EVERY awards show ever? Is it in her contract?

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 1:04 AM

Sally and Linda could be sisters.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 1:06 AM

R11 she lowers the bar every time she on. anything. She should never have been allowed to sing one of Linda's songs FEH!

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 1:07 AM

Ever since they got new producers, this show has sucked ass.

Linda is one of the most versatile singers in music history, but you never would known it from this tribute.

And who is directing this? Part of the joy of watching this used to be when the camera would pan the box of nominees as the guests performed. So of course let '

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 1:15 AM

Linda got tears in her eyes several times. She got to me. But nobody can really sound like her. They can try - but not quite.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 1:17 AM

Bumming that I missed the Rondstadt segment. Tuned in when Sally's segment started. Hoping it ends up on YouTube.

I didn't know the song "Sing a Song" was from Sesame Street.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 1:17 AM

Ever since they got new producers, this show has sucked ass.

Linda is one of the most versatile singers in music history, but you never would known it from this tribute. Where were the standards. the Mexcian songs?

And who is directing this? Part of the joy of watching this used to be when the camera would pan the box of nominees as the guests performed. So of course let 's eliminate all of that. Would have loved to have witnessed Sally and Linda's reactions to the Sesame Street tribute instead of having a camera practically crammed up the nostrils of some no name woman sitting in the audience weeping.

And enough with the bright orange lighting! Who the fuck thinks this looks appealing on a stage?

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 1:19 AM

I think Sally Field's gay son Sam is with her next to the SF Gay Tillson Thomases.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 1:21 AM

Audra!

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2019 1:24 AM

They showed Justice Roberts and Pompeo when they sang, When Will I Be Loved. Pompeo looked embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2019 1:25 AM

Why is it on so early. It is usually on a few days after Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2019 1:28 AM

The show used to be classy when Walter Cronkite was the host.

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2019 1:34 AM

David Foster!!!

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2019 1:42 AM

"Linda got tears in her eyes several times."

She has to pee.

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2019 1:43 AM

Carrie Underwood was at Ronstadt's R&R Hall of Fame tribute too. She has the smallest resemblance to Ronstadt's voice AND she loves her as a singer. Trisha Yearwood is a huge Ronstadt fan and Kelly Clarkson is too. Kelly should have been given a big ass belter like When Will I be Loved. It's not a huge range song, but a full throttle belting song. Underwood sounded pretty nice on Blue Bayou but boy she has a pinched sound. A great big range, but so little resonance. Her voice is trapped in her face. Not just talk, I know what I mean. She can project but she has no facial resonance. It's all from her chest and throat, People who say Carrie can't sing don't know much about singing. She can but she has a hard metallic tone to her voice. Bonnie Raitt could have sung a wobbly Heart Like A Wheel and it would have been more meaningful. Jessie J could belt out some Ronstadt too. The Kennedy Centers have ruined their tributes for the last 6 or 7 years. They're really not worth watching anymore. Watch the tribute to Barbara Cook and see the difference. I don't give a rusty fuck about Barbara Cook but they loaded this tribute with not only the most famous, but the best performers for these glorious songs. Same as they did for Al Green and Buddy Guy and Julie Andrews, Paul McCartney, Aretha Franklin and Dolly Parton. There are talented enough singers all round to give meaning to Ronstadt songs. But they only choose two. In their defense, there is no bigger fan of Linda than the great Trisha Yearwood. Trisha's early recordings sounded so much like Ronstadt. And I don't like Linda's voice. Ha. But I do like Trisha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2019 1:46 AM

John Legend, I only know him through tribute and honor shows. He's on every one I come across.

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2019 1:47 AM

Ugh ! Who was that black opera diva ??? I agree with the Carrie Underwood hater ,I cant abide that manufactured bitch .

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2019 1:47 AM

I think whoever is doing the cue cards, or whatever is scrolling, is not keeping up. Several of the speakers seem to be flustered in the middle of their tribute. This show needs a better production staff.

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2019 1:55 AM

The editing is also terrible. It's like their cutting everything a second or two too early.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2019 2:02 AM

And seriously, the Jonas Brothers for Earth Wind and Fire?

Was T'Pau or Katrina and the Waves too busy?

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2019 2:04 AM

Audra was magnificent!

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2019 2:12 AM

John Legend looks like he is making love to himself on stage.

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2019 2:13 AM

The show is a fucking travesty. I've tuned out. Ronstadt had Emmylou, Aaron Neville, Trisha, Carrie Underwood and Kevin Kline pay tribute to her. She loves them all and they all are her fans or collaborators. Not bad at all. But the tribute reveals something essential - Ronstadt's music without her voice was not much special at all. After you pay tribute to Cher, anyone can receive this honor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2019 2:14 AM

At least Jonas appeals to Millennials (right? I am an elder myself). Maybe he’s encouraging the kids to stream EW&F.

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2019 2:16 AM

Who would you like to honor, R33?

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2019 2:33 AM

Joni Mitchell. Desmond Richardson. Johnny Mathis. Joan Baez. Neil Young. R35.

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2019 2:41 AM

Patti Smith

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2019 2:41 AM

"And seriously, the Jonas Brothers for Earth Wind and Fire?"

Unfortunately, the Osmond Bros. were all tied-up in Branson.

by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2019 2:46 AM

Has Paul Simon been honored?

by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2019 2:55 AM

100% Berndette. She should have been selected already.

by Anonymousreply 40December 16, 2019 3:07 AM

The EWF tribute was fun, and I enjoyed the performers.

I was also unintentionally entertained by the white folks in the audience, because they had no rhythm at ALL and showed their ass on national TV.

by Anonymousreply 41December 16, 2019 3:08 AM

Remember that the person has to accept the honor. Maybe Bernadette hasn't accepted it?

Doris Day famously declined.

by Anonymousreply 42December 16, 2019 3:08 AM

Robert Redford

by Anonymousreply 43December 16, 2019 3:09 AM

Bernadette Peters would never decline the KCH. And she won't likely ever get it either. Lupone and Liza deserve it too. I mean REALLY deserve it, because I don't even like 2 out of the three of them. But they aren't on CBS this morning. Current or relevant. Or in old people's home collections. Ronstadt canvassed for this. She can claim indifference, but the documentary, the interviews, the R&R....she wants it all. They did pretty good for her. Better than that frozen Cher fuck face with her broken tear ducts.

Go back and watch the tribute to Twyla Tharp, even a few years ago. Wonderful. She should have waited for just that long. Ha. But she'd never be given the same honor today. I feel old just saying this and I'm not very old.

The Kennedy Center still surprises. But the beautifully produced full tributes with a 6 minute edit of history and accomplishments, a perfect cast of performers to illuminate their triumphs and WOW everyone else and a produced 21 minutes of cadence and flow & mini musical show seem to be long gone. And lacking.

Joni, Patti, Joan Baez and Neil Young too. Desmond Richardson. Liza, Patti, Bernadette. JOHNNY MATHIS.

Jessica Lange.

by Anonymousreply 44December 16, 2019 3:45 AM

Paul Simon was honored at the last second when Paul McCartney pulled out.

by Anonymousreply 45December 16, 2019 3:52 AM

AND Gladys Knight ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 46December 16, 2019 3:53 AM

Martin Honors Simon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 16, 2019 3:58 AM

Linda looked so fragile.

Natalie Cole would have been an honoree with a similar path of singing successfully in different genres. Too late now for her, sadly.

Whitney Houston had she lived long enough would surely have been honored as well.

by Anonymousreply 48December 16, 2019 5:12 AM

The girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 16, 2019 6:28 AM

LL Cool J won this award before Linda, Sally, and Mr. Tomashevsky?

by Anonymousreply 50December 16, 2019 7:04 AM

Great, classy show. The tribute to Ronstadt was beautiful. The whole show was good, and as much as I love Sally, her segment was the weak link. The opera diva, R27? Really? You don't know Audra McDonald? David Copperfield is very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2019 7:25 AM

Would it kill the Kennedy Center to honor Liza Minnelli and Johnny Mathis? This is an utter disgrace they haven't been honored. Come on, people. What the hell are you waiting for?

by Anonymousreply 52December 16, 2019 7:27 AM

[quote]Ronstadt had Emmylou, Aaron Neville, Trisha, Carrie Underwood and Kevin Kline pay tribute to her.

I wonder why Emmy didn't sing. And Carrie Underwood? OMFG. Should have stuck to deviled ham. Emmy could have sung any number of songs, and should have.

by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2019 7:50 AM

They didn't mention or show a single clip from The Sally Field Programme.

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2019 8:05 AM

At least they didn't drag out Kennedy Center floor sweeper and yearly performer/former lover of all honorees -the ubiquitous and terrible, grimacing James Taylor. Whisper pitchy off coo singing. Carrie did alright. Ronstadt recently said in an interview that she likes Taylor Swift and Beyonce. I'd have loved to hear Bey sing Long Long Time. She's the best. Trisha Yearwood could be a Ronstadt cover artist if she wasn't just so damned wonderful on her own. Emmylou sang for Dolly not that long ago. She has a weakness of the vocal cords. Hasten Down the Wind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2019 8:08 AM

Did Carrie hit Linda?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2019 9:10 AM

[quote]They didn't mention or show a single clip from The Sally Field Programme.

In fact, there was -- a snippet of a scene opposite Rachel Griffiths.

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2019 10:49 AM

Maura Tierney looked like she'd rather have been anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2019 10:56 AM

Audra was, as always, fucking FLAWLESS.

Linda is apparently in constant pain and often can't sit up for more than a few minutes at a time. The ceremony night had to have been torture for her physically.

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2019 12:20 PM

In what universe is LLCool J a Kennedy Center honoree? Fucking ridiculous. Does CBS get a pick just for hosting?

Where was Caroline Kennedy this year?

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2019 12:53 PM

[quote]the Osmond Bros. were all tied-up in Branson.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2019 1:00 PM

The best part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2019 1:13 PM

Thomas Rhett is cute, r62. Kind of like if Chris Mazdzer could sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 16, 2019 1:21 PM

Trisha Yearwood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 16, 2019 1:26 PM

September

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 16, 2019 1:27 PM

Jonas Bros.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2019 2:38 PM

[quote] Joni, Patti, Joan Baez and Neil Young too. Desmond Richardson. Liza, Patti, Bernadette. JOHNNY MATHIS.

Seriously, these performares have never gotten the KCH????

But LL Cool J has? WTF???

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2019 2:59 PM

Next year, Glenn!

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote] Linda is apparently in constant pain and often can't sit up for more than a few minutes at a time. The ceremony night had to have been torture for her physically.

If you think I was tearing up at Underwood’s performance or Henley’s speech, you are fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2019 7:14 PM

Caroline Kennedy disliked hosting after Walter Cronkite.

They should have one of her children host. Jack Schlossberg is articulate and poised, he'd be great. How appropriate to have one of JFK's grandchildren host the Kennedy Center Honors.

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2019 7:27 PM

It's just an odd thing, actually. How do you honor any singer? How do you honor Leontyne Price with other people singing? How do you honor a great actor? What about a painter, or a writer? I think there shouldn't really be a show at all.

by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2019 7:34 PM

Jennifer Nettles would have so much better than Underwood.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2019 7:34 PM

Yes, she would R72.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2019 7:43 PM

Sally Field's tribute seemed sparse and awkward.

She must have cringed at the inclusion of "The Flying Nun". She wrote in her autobiography that she has never seen even one episode.

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2019 10:00 PM

A truly beautiful moment. So rare these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2019 10:04 PM

I find David Foster annoying as hell.

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2019 10:07 PM

I agree with you, R44. The show last night was fine, but it used to be fantastic, appointment television. The montages about the honorees were very well done and then they went right in to the tributes. I also very much do not like them giving honors to groups such as the Eagles or Earth, Wind, and Fire or shows such as Hamilton or Sesame Street. They are lifetime achievement awards for individuals.

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2019 11:39 PM

R76, So did his previous wives.

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2019 11:59 PM

I'm sorry but, Kevin Kline's presentation for Linda was lame, and I fucking LOVE Linda, but nobody cares about that Pirates of Penzance flop movie anymore. He should have been there to tribute Sally as Celeste Talbert in Soapdish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 17, 2019 12:22 AM

And why no effort to create a Steel Magnolias reunion opportunity??? Where was Dolly? Olympia? Julia? Daryl? and Shirl?

by Anonymousreply 80December 17, 2019 12:28 AM

Poor Sally. And I thought AnnE Hathaway singing at my tribute was bad.

by Anonymousreply 81December 17, 2019 12:29 AM

and why not bring poor JENNIFER WARNES out of retirement hell obscurity to perform "It Goes Like It Goes"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 17, 2019 12:34 AM

Kline was there to reference the wide scope of Linda’s accomplishments: not only is she a rock star, but she’s a Broadway star, too.

Sally Field has done 100 movies. Only gays of a certain age care about the unfunny Soapdish.

by Anonymousreply 83December 17, 2019 1:24 AM

R79 Kevin did Pirates on Broadway with Linda also. She got a Tony nomination for it, so it’s not insignificant in her career.

by Anonymousreply 84December 17, 2019 1:57 AM

r25 as a music lover I'd love to her you break down some other singers the way you spoke about Carrie. Love to her what you think about Beyonce's voice. I can't stand listening to her solo but didn't mind her as part of DC.

by Anonymousreply 85December 17, 2019 2:06 AM

I stan for Dionne Warwick and Burt Bacharach. Where the FUCK is their KCH award???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 17, 2019 2:13 AM

The KCH board used to mail out letters to certain individuals asking who they thought should receive the honor.

After years of being overlooked, Bette Davis finally mailed her letter back with "ME" written on it.

She got her wish in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 87December 17, 2019 4:26 AM

I love Sally Field. However, among such entertaining musical performances—Linda Ronstadt, Michael Tilson Thomas and Earth, Wind & Fire and even the endearing Sesame Street, showing a few film clips of Sally Field’s movies and TV shows was the weak link of the KCH show.

Sally isn’t a singer like Patty Duke (Tell Me What’s On Your Mind), which by the way never received a KCH. Bastards. Sally stole Patty’s career. Well not entirely, but sort of.

by Anonymousreply 88December 17, 2019 4:43 AM

Does Caroline Kennedy know who the hell Liza Minnelli and Johnny Mathis are? Give them a goddamn award!

by Anonymousreply 89December 17, 2019 4:44 AM

Some interesting names on the Kennedy Center Board of Directors and Trustees. I would think the Board could influence the picks of nominees?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 17, 2019 5:42 PM

R90, I wonder if Bryan Lourd ever lobbied to get a KCH for former mother-in-law Debbie Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 91December 17, 2019 8:18 PM

Trivia: what entertainment project in the 70s did both Sally Field and Linda Ronstadt participate in? No cheating!

by Anonymousreply 92December 17, 2019 9:16 PM

Match Game R92?

by Anonymousreply 93December 17, 2019 9:40 PM

R93 Nope

by Anonymousreply 94December 17, 2019 10:14 PM

No Nukes?

Sesame Street album?

by Anonymousreply 95December 17, 2019 10:29 PM

R95 Nope.

by Anonymousreply 96December 18, 2019 1:14 AM

Was it Battle of The Network Stars? Sally can fly.

by Anonymousreply 97December 18, 2019 1:16 AM

Name That Tune!

by Anonymousreply 98December 18, 2019 1:46 AM

Jimmy Carter's Inaugural Gala in 1977?

by Anonymousreply 99December 18, 2019 6:03 AM

Nope to all of those.

by Anonymousreply 100December 18, 2019 10:00 AM

The Love Boat?

by Anonymousreply 101December 18, 2019 10:10 AM

Free to be You and Me? R92

by Anonymousreply 102December 18, 2019 10:16 AM

Was it that weekend orgy at Burt’s house? I don’t remember seeing either of them.

by Anonymousreply 103December 18, 2019 11:06 AM

Oh, for God's sake. Enough of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 18, 2019 11:56 AM

What song does Linda sing in that movie, r104? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 105December 18, 2019 12:03 PM

What song does Linda sing in that movie, r104? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 106December 18, 2019 12:03 PM

R104, It's on Amazon Prime Video.

by Anonymousreply 107December 18, 2019 1:43 PM

It’s on the Internet Archive for free. Linda sings the title tune "Maybe I’ll Be Home in the Spring" which starts just after the 5 minute mark. Eleanor Parker plays her worried mother!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 18, 2019 1:54 PM

^^^ "Maybe I’ll Come Home in the Spring", not "be home."

by Anonymousreply 109December 18, 2019 1:55 PM

R104 you got it.

by Anonymousreply 110December 18, 2019 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!